IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Dematerialize: "replace (physical records or certificates) with a paperless computerized system."

Another factoid to impress your friends...

In India, investment accounts that hold stocks, bonds, or other instruments are called Demat accounts, and there was a big push several years ago to get people who were holding physical certificates to bring them in and have them "dematerialized."

Very apt term for ripping music to files!

PLEASE report back, especially a successful rip. I will act as go-between for the silent folks behind the scene who actually discovered and created this stuff.

Another success story to add! I just discovered the thread the other day, and have finally managed to read my way all the way through it. (Gives me something to do while waiting to change discs in the Oppo...) I've ripped about 30 discs so far; extracted DSF files from about half, and tagged about a third of those. 5 of those were BIS 'extended play' SACD-stereo-only discs of over 4 hours each; the rest were hybrids. Only about another 50 or so to go.

So, I'm using an Oppo BDP105 and a 2014ish i5 iMac which is normally my music server only. Both are connected directly to router or switch by Ethernet cable. (My WiFi would slow it down quite a bit.) The Oppo has BDP10X-83-0715 [latest] firmware update; the iMac is on Yosemite. Speeds have been about what has been reported on this forum.

I used the instructions from tmtomh in post #127 on page 6. Worked perfectly, first time (well, actually second time: first time I put in the wrong IP address for the Oppo, and oddly enough it didn't work...).

I'm using Sonore iso2dsd to rip the raw ISO file, then (as a second, separate step) to extract the stereo DSF from that. Speeds for this step are much slower than has been mentioned: not that much faster than the original ISO rip.

Archiving the ISO file, and fixing/adding tags to the DSF with Yate. This I do from an iMac upstairs in my office over WiFi, so iso2dsd can keep working downstairs unimpeded. Actually much less work than tagging classical music on most CD rips - the metadata from the SACD is far better than the info that XLD or others find on the internet. (The SACD info comes from the producer of the disc; the CD internet stuff is a wiki sort of thing which is well-meaning, but wildly inconsistent and often flat-out wrong.)

None of my SACDs have had cover art with this process, so I add it with Yate, embedded in the dsf.

Playback is from Audirvana+ and the rips that I've completed, extracted, and tagged sound very good. No clicks or other nastiness. Definitely about 3db quieter than PCM files, though.

Huge thanks to Ted B, tmtomh, and all the rest of you for getting this info out there. I haven't listened to spinning discs much for about 3 years, so this has rescued some really good stuff from oblivion.

(Snip)

Playback is from Audirvana+ and the rips that I've completed, extracted, and tagged sound very good. No clicks or other nastiness. Definitely about 3db quieter than PCM files, though. (Snip)

Audirvana + is exceptional at either gapless between tracks or gapped without bumps grinds or other disfigurements. You will find DSD quieter since the originals are lower, then again some PCM redbook are also recorded with lower volume, like MFSL for example.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

So it looks like the Oppo 103 is now sold out at Amazon.com and Oppo direct.

I wonder if this is a temporary shortage, or if the drive is now out of production.

By coincidence, I was at the Canadian Oppo distributor just the other day - before I discovered this thread - and heard quite a bit about this.

The 103 and 105 ('D' or plain) have been out of production for a while. Oppo and its distributors have been selling off their stock in anticipation of the BDP-203 4K player. (The 203 is supposed to arrive in the US in November, and before Christmas in Canada. The 205 or whatever it will be called is still at least a year out.) There are very few 10x models available now anywhere.

This is good news for any of us who are looking for an Oppo 10x as a ripper, though. It's a cinch that the new player won't work for us, BUT Oppo nutters are very loyal. Dollars to doughnuts, most of those new players will be going to existing Oppo owners, and gently used 103s and 103Ds (and even 105/105Ds) will start appearing on the audio marts in good numbers. With the 203 selling for only USD499, once they start shipping in quantity the used prices for the 10x models can't stay too high. (Right now there are some stupid asking prices...)

...45 pages already? =:-0

took me three weeks of hunting but finally found a very good deal on a 105D and tomorrow we'll know if I get the thing or... if I have to open a PayPal claim (yes: the deal was *that* good ;) )

fingers crossed

btw... used 103s are going, here, for €600 :-0 that's... :nutter: (and, in fact, they usually don't sell :P )

anyway... can someone, please, point me to the instructions for Mac OS and *no* Java (just using the Terminal), please?

thank you guys:)

The instructions to set up the SACD player are the same as for any other operating system.

On the mac, I usually use the Terminal myself and directly grab the whole ISO. I cd to the directory (aka folder) that contains also the java program "iso2dsd_gui.jar". Once there, I connect to the SACD ripper server by the command

./sacd_extract -i 192.168.178.112:2002 -I -P

where you have to replace "192.168.178.112" with the address of the player.

The client and server will handshake, and after a few seconds start ripping, creating an ISO directly the same directory. You can use the same command to separate the tracks (type "./sacd_extract --help" to see the options). You can also separate the tracks directly from the incoming stream, either with the "-2" option in place of "-I" or leaving the latter just out, as two channel output is the default.

./sacd_extract -i 192.168.178.112:2002 -P

Roberto

thank you so much, Roberto :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I can report success here as well using an Oppo 105D EU and ISO2DSD.

My 105D EU is on firmware 10XEU-80-1031, funny enough when I ask the player to check for updates on internet it is telling me that I am on the latest version, which is obviously not the case... anyway.

I am using the 2 steps workflow described above : 1) extracting the iso image first, 2) extracting the dsf files from the iso image.

I did 11 Hybrids from Peter Gabriel yesterday evening (10 stereo and 1 stereo+multichannel), it worked flawlessly. The iso extraction speed is about 2.4 MB/s, the extraction of dsf files is much faster. All these hybrids were already tagged (without cover arts), I added them to my NAS collection which is scanned by Roon and Roon found the stereo disks and added the cover arts (as expected Roon skipped the multichannel disk).

I still have a few to go today (Jacques Brel, Pink Floyd, Malher/Zander,...) but now I regret that I did not buy more of these !

A big thank you to all those involved in finding and publishing this brilliant trick.

My 105D EU is on firmware 10XEU-80-1031, funny enough when I ask the player to check for updates on internet it is telling me that I am on the latest version, which is obviously not the case... anyway.

It is the latest official firmware for the EU players

https://www.oppodigital.co.uk/firmware-BDP10x-players.html

There is a recent beta FW available, but only via USB.

The US players have a newer FW:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-10x-Firmware.aspx

Claude

BTW the extraction of the dsf files from the iso image with ISO2DSD is very CPU intensive whereas the iso extraction itself is not.

On my i7 the CPU jumps to 98-99% mostly for sacd_extract.exe (around 95%).

So the speed of this dsf extraction will very much depends on your hardware.

It is the latest official firmware for the EU players

https://www.oppodigital.co.uk/firmware-BDP10x-players.html

There is a recent beta FW available, but only via USB.

The US players have a newer FW:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-10x-Firmware.aspx

Not to derail this thread, but it might be a good idea to download that beta firmware as long as it's available. I updated my player with it (Oppo 105 EU) and got some real improvement for subtitles in mkv files. But I also noticed a tiny little gap during gapless playback of FLAC files from a USB drive. The earlier firmware doesn't have this problem.

The beta firmware can be replaced by the older firmware, the official firmware can't. For the time being I will stick with the beta firmware and go back and forth, depending on what I need (decent subtitle support or gapless playback from USB drives). Not ideal, but better than losing one option for good.

5 of those were BIS 'extended play' SACD-stereo-only discs of over 4 hours each.

I'm only aware of these 4 titles:

Dowland – The Complete Solo Lute Music, BIS-SACD-1724

Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes 44 seconds

Mendelssohn - The Complete String Symphonies, BIS-SACD-1738

Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes 55 seconds

Mendelssohn - The Complete Solo Concertos, BIS-SACD-1766

Total Time:4 hours 15 minutes 55 seconds

J.S. Bach - Complete Organ Music, 20 hours+ of music on 5 SACDs for the price of 2!, BIS-SACD-1527/28

Total Time: 20 hours 8 minutes 21 seconds

What is the 5th title? Thanks!

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, I decided to try this on my Oppo BDP-103 and after initially being unsuccessful I realized that before the Oppo would recognize the USB drive with the AutoScript folder, I first needed to remove from the Oppo the USB drive with the BDP-103 jailbreak firmware (for playing BD ISOs). Now ripping away, PS3 will be retired, and all is sweet!

I'm only aware of these 4 titles:

J.S. Bach - Complete Organ Music, 20 hours+ of music on 5 SACDs for the price of 2!, BIS-SACD-1527/28

Total Time: 20 hours 8 minutes 21 seconds

What is the 5th title? Thanks!

No 5th title: I meant the 5 discs of the Bach Organ set.

(BTW, I love the note BIS puts on the back of the box-set:

"What if you do not have an SACD player? May we suggest that you buy this box AND and SACD player. In all you should pay no more than the original 18 CDs would have cost."

You have to give him full marks for nerve...)

BTW the extraction of the dsf files from the iso image with ISO2DSD is very CPU intensive whereas the iso extraction itself is not.

On my i7 the CPU jumps to 98-99% mostly for sacd_extract.exe (around 95%).

So the speed of this dsf extraction will very much depends on your hardware.

That makes sense: my music server is a pretty slow iMac (1.4 GHz dual-core i5). No wonder the extraction is slower than the rip.

Okay, I know this may be the stupidest question of all time, but will this allow me to rip the hi-rez audio from Blu-ray Audio discs. If not is there some way to do this from the Oppo 105?

No, it won't. His is about SACDs. To rip a Blu-ray, IIRC, make an ISO image with MakeMKV in your computer (optical drive required) and then extract the audio files with DVD Audio Extractor ($).