IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Hi, I have managed to successfully rip Jennifer Warnes Hunter DSD. But when I use Sonore extract I get the following error. Can anyone help?.

sacd_extract 0.3.9.3 enhanced by euflo ....starting! 

Found configuration 'sacd_extract.cfg' file... 
    Artist will be added in folder name (artist=0) no 
    Performer will be added in filename of track (performer=0) no 
    Padding-less (nopad=0) no 
    Pauses included (pauses=0) no 
    Concatenate (concatenate=0) no 
    ID3tagV2.4 (id3tag = 4) yes 

Program terminates! 

Warning: Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-1 did not match with Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-2. Disc has some errors !! Using TOC-2...  
libsacdread: Not a valid Area TOC! 
libsacdread: Erors processing Area 1 (TWOCHTOC)!! 

`have you tried SACDExtractGUI instead of  the Sonore program?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, I have managed to successfully rip Jennifer Warnes Hunter DSD. But when I use Sonore extract I get the following error. Can anyone help?.

sacd_extract 0.3.9.3 enhanced by euflo ....starting! 

Found configuration 'sacd_extract.cfg' file... 
    Artist will be added in folder name (artist=0) no 
    Performer will be added in filename of track (performer=0) no 
    Padding-less (nopad=0) no 
    Pauses included (pauses=0) no 
    Concatenate (concatenate=0) no 
    ID3tagV2.4 (id3tag = 4) yes 

Program terminates! 

Warning: Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-1 did not match with Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-2. Disc has some errors !! Using TOC-2...  
libsacdread: Not a valid Area TOC! 
libsacdread: Erors processing Area 1 (TWOCHTOC)!! 

That appears to be a dirty or damaged disc. You could try to lightly clean the inner hub ring area where the TOC is, or for that matter any area of the disc that is scratched, smudged, fingerprinted etc... use a very soft cloth and a bit of optical disc cleaner.

If you see no visible detritus or obvious signs that the disc is dirty or scratched, then it might be otherwise damaged, but that is what those errors are pointing to.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

This doesn't seem right.

After having ripped about 450 discs with a PS3 (which died), I am struggling mightily with my Oppo 105.  I know it works - I did it once a while back, but now it is either working incredibly slowly (with ISO2DSD) or not all (with SACD_EXTRACT_GUI).  With SACD_EXTRACT_GUI, it just stops in the middle of creating the ISO. With ISO2DSD (ripping directly to 2 channel DSF files) I am on my third hour with American Beauty, and we're just past half finished.  Reported speed is 0.20 MBs/Sec.

No better luck with SACD_EXTRACT_GUI and Workingman's Dead.

I have not read this thread, so apologies if the explanation is already there.

3 minutes ago, jegreenwood said:

Reported speed is 0.20 MBs/Sec

Possibly a WiFi issue? I’ve found that although it *can* work very well over WiFi it can also run at a snail’s pace if the WiFi link is not rock solid. I suspect but do not know for a fact that it doesn’t tolerate a bursty connection as well as other applications, eg file sharing or media streaming. If you’re on WiFi maybe try a direct Ethernet link or move closer to your router if the former is not practical. 

53 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

Possibly a WiFi issue? I’ve found that although it *can* work very well over WiFi it can also run at a snail’s pace if the WiFi link is not rock solid. I suspect but do not know for a fact that it doesn’t tolerate a bursty connection as well as other applications, eg file sharing or media streaming. If you’re on WiFi maybe try a direct Ethernet link or move closer to your router if the former is not practical. 

I don't think so.  I have a Netgear Orbi that's pretty fast.  File copy between my two computers is about 13MB/s.  

Edit - Right now my Oppo is about 2 feet from an Orbi satellite.  But if I wanted to connect by ethernet, I could.  In that instance what do I enter in lieu of an IP address?

44 minutes ago, jegreenwood said:

I don't think so.  I have a Netgear Orbi that's pretty fast.  File copy between my two computers is about 13MB/s.  

Edit - Right now my Oppo is about 2 feet from an Orbi satellite.  But if I wanted to connect by ethernet, I could.  In that instance what do I enter in lieu of an IP address?

If you can connect via a cable, it's almost always preferable to do so.  Even though it's much faster than 0.20MB/sec, 13MB/sec is still pretty slow.  You will still need an IP address, it will just be different.  You'll need to go into the Oppo's network settings to find the one the wired connection is using.

+1 on the use of a wired connection, it will always be faster, and not prone to dropouts. Unless it is simply unavailable, Ethernet is without question the way to go.

If the Oppo 105 is not near a monitor, then just use the Fing app on iOS, Android, or even desktop to determine the wired IP address.

There is absolutely no reason why SACDExtractGUI should not also work, but without a better description of what is happening there it's impossible to know why it is not working in this particular instance.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

How do you have your Oppo's IP address set? Do you have it set as a fixed IP or is is set to use a  DHCP- assigned IP address? You should assign a fixed IP address that is outside of the range of addresses that your router's DHCP server uses to avoid conflicts with the DHCP server. If you don't have a fixed IP address set on the Oppo, then it's IP address may change anytime you power off the Oppo.

27 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

+1 on the use of a wired connection, it will always be faster, and not prone to dropouts. Unless it is simply unavailable, Ethernet is without question the way to go.

If the Oppo 105 is not near a monitor, then just use the Fing app on iOS, Android, or even desktop to determine the wired IP address.

There is absolutely no reason why SACDExtractGUI should not also work, but without a better description of what is happening there it's impossible to know why it is not working in this particular instance.

No need.  The router tells me.

Right now, we're plowing through Workingman's Dead.  I'll switch to ethernet and set a static IP number when that finishes.

I had never used SACD_Extract before.  When I double-clicked on the .cmd file it opened a window and connected to the Oppo and starting creating the .iso file.  (I assume that's what it was doing.)  Again progress got slower and slower until it appeared to halt 44% and 63% of the way through on the two discs I tried.  Either that or the information stopped updating.

How is it supposed to work?

First you said:

2 hours ago, jegreenwood said:

or not all (with SACD_EXTRACT_GUI).  With SACD_EXTRACT_GUI, it just stops in the middle of creating the ISO.

And then:

2 hours ago, jegreenwood said:

No better luck with SACD_EXTRACT_GUI and Workingman's Dead.

But now the last post says:

18 minutes ago, jegreenwood said:

I had never used SACD_Extract before.  When I double-clicked on the .cmd file it opened a window and connected to the Oppo and starting creating the .iso file.

Based on the above it is difficult to help, as using a GUI and use of the command line are two entirely separate things that should not be conflated.

The front-end GUI detailed widely in this thread is called SACDExtractGUI (and before it ISO2DSD). Those are not command line tools they are Java-based GUIs, you do not double click on any .cmd file to use a GUI, you launch the .jar file.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1947196153_Screenshot(14).thumb.png.313de3d1aec515556bd97fd9ba2fc93b.png

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

First you said:

And then:

Based on the above it is difficult to help, as using a GUI and use of the command line are two entirely separate things that should not be conflated.

The front-end GUI detailed widely in this thread is called SACDExtractGUI (and before it ISO2DSD). Those are not command line tools they are Java-based GUIs, you do not double click on any .cmd file to use a GUI, you launch the .jar file.

OK - I'm lost.  This morning I downloaded a zip file that contained two files: sacd.cmd and sacd_extract.exe.  I edited sacd.cmd to reference the proper IP address and double-clicked on it.  As that had a command line instruction to run sacd_extract, I assumed that's what happened.  The next thing I saw was the connection to the Oppo and what appeared to be the beginning of the creation of the .iso file.  Information was in provided in what I still call a DOS Box.  That didn't work - see above.

I have another folder containing something called   Based on the time stamp that's a much older app.  which I guess I used when I ripped files using the PS3 (although I did most of that using .bat files in a DOS window.  Unfortunately, every time I try to open SACD_extract GUI.exe. up now, it opens multiple times, and I have to restart my computer.

Please tell me what I should be doing with which files.

Are these the ones I should be using.  What do I do with them?

1947196153_Screenshot(14).thumb.png.313de3d1aec515556bd97fd9ba2fc93b.png

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

First you said:

And then:

OK - I'm lost.  This morning I downloaded a zip file that contained two files: sacd.cmd and sacd_extract.exe.  I edited sacd.cmd to reference the proper IP address and double-clicked on it.  As that had a command line instruction to run sacd_extract, I assumed that's what happened.  The next thing I saw was the connection to the Oppo and what appeared to be the beginning of the creation of the .iso file.  Information was in provided in what I still call a DOS Box.  That didn't work - see above.

I have another folder containing something called   Based on the time stamp that's a much older app.  which I guess I used when I ripped files using the PS3 (although I did most of that using .bat files in a DOS window.  Unfortunately, every time I try to open SACD_extract GUI.exe. up now, it opens multiple times, and I have to restart my computer.

Please tell me what I should be doing with which files.

Edit - all seems well.  I got the right files, switched to Ethernet and created a static address.  Waiting to see if the speed is maintained.

Speed is collapsing now.  Down .0.28 MB/S

Last edit - I promise (fingers crossed):  Discovered that the Oppo does not automatically switch to ethernet when the cable is plugged in.  Did that in settings.  However that changed my IP address.  Corrected that.  Now seeing 2MB/s speeds.

31 minutes ago, jegreenwood said:

The folder above called "newsacd" has everything you need. As stated, you launch the GUI by clicking the .jar file, if stupid Windows thinks that means open it to reveal it's contents (a dumb Windows file association thing), then just right-click it and choose Open with Java.

34 minutes ago, jegreenwood said:

Last edit - I promise (fingers crossed):  Discovered that the Oppo does not automatically switch to ethernet when the cable is plugged in.  Did that in settings.  However that changed my IP address.  Corrected that.  Now seeing 2MB/s speeds.

I believe all of the compatible players are that way, none of them automatically switch between WLAN and LAN, each change requires a visit to the player's network settings. Sounds like you are in good shape now, the rip speed will increase as you get out towards the outer edge of the disc, you should approach or even exceed 3MB/s with a LAN connection, though the actual speed will vary by disc.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, jegreenwood said:

I have another folder containing something called   Based on the time stamp that's a much older app

The actual ripping app in all cases is sacd_extract.exe, the front-end Java applet GUI is the .jar file, it merely instructs the .exe with a few clicks instead of using a CLI.

With ISO2DSD, the sacd_extract.exe file must be in the same folder as the .jar, and the resulting ISO or DSF files will also be written to that folder, no exceptions.

With SACDExtractGUI, you can locate that sacd_extract.exe file anywhere you want, but you must then specify the path to it in the GUI's Program field using the Browse button (overwrite what is pre-populated). The resulting ripped files will be written wherever you specify the Output directory in the GUI.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 1 month later...

Apologies.  I haven't ripped an SACD for over a year.   Since then, I replaced my old Mac with a newer one. I plugged in my Oppo BDP-105, which still had the dongle with the script plugged into it, and connected it to my router.  The draw opens when powered on.  Then I downloaded the Sonore ISO2DSD file to the new Mac, moved the GUI.JAR file to the applications folder, opened the file, entered the Oppo's IP address, obtained from my network scanner app, placed an SACD in the tray, closed the tray, clicked Execute and... nothing?  What did I forget please?

1 hour ago, Robby G said:

What did I forget please?

A few things, the first one being you cannot separate anything that is in the Sonore folder from anything else in that folder, the instructions explicitly say that folder must stay intact.

You can move the entire Sonore folder to your Applications folder, but you can't remove only the .jar file and put it in Applications as you described, the whole folder must move together.

The other thing you forgot is the actual sacd_extract application, which is a seperate download if you look at that Sonore web page carefully, there is another line right below where you clicked for the GUI that takes you to EuFlo's GitHub where you can get the latest version of sacd_extract.

With macOS and Linux (but not Windows), you have to then make the sacd_extract file executable before you can use it.

Open Utilities -> Terminal and type the following command:

chmod +x

Followed by a single space, then drag/drop the sacd_extract file directly onto the Terminal window, the file path will populate, press Enter.

Thats all, you can close Terminal and you should have an sacd_extract file that is now described as a Unix executable. It too must be in the same folder as the rest of the Sonore download package.

You can also use the updated SACDExtractGUI, instead of ISO2DSD. There you can separate things if you like, the only requirement is to specify the correct path to the sacd_extract file in the Program field using the Browse button.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 1 month later...

I have ripped over 100 SACDs with both a PS3 and an Oppo 105 over my network with no issue. I recently bought an SACD from Intervention Record of a Joe Jackson album. I tried ripping it on both the PS3 and the Oppo. SACD Extract start up, finds the disc, reads the metadata, and proceeds to rip. It appears to be successful and the files sizes are large, as I would expect. I've tried to play them with multiple DACs using both JRiver and Roon. The DACs show they are receiving a DSDx1 bitstream but there is no audio, just silence. I've tried ripping the tracks as DSF and I also tried ripping an ISO but not having any luck. The disc itself plays fine in multiple SACD players I've tried it with.

Any ideas?

14 minutes ago, ksalno said:

Any ideas?

None, I own that disc and have successfully ripped it with no playback issues.

If you have finished-looking file sizes, and JRiver and Roon and your DACs are recognizing DSD64 as playing, then there must be something else about the playback chain that has changed and is preventing audio output.

You are currently able to successfully play back other SACD rips?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

have been successfully ripping my SACDs to DSF files, thanks to this thread, which I discovered back in late 2016.  But just recently my software stopped working.  I wasn’t looking forward to going thru the 220 pages of this thread to figure out what changed.  But I did find this link which does a commendable job of summarizing the procedure using the latest software which is much faster and easier to use, once you figure out how to install it.  

i hope this is helpful.  I’ve found that locally stored files ripped from my SACDs sound much superior to streaming on my system significantly enhancing my enjoyment of the music.

I have an Oppo 105 that I bought last year and have ripped exactly 1 SACD with (found it at a thrift shop).  In using it as a BD player, I found it doesn't output Dolby Atmos or DTS sound (IIRC it may have the earliest BIOS firmware).  I think I've read here previously that updating the firmware doesn't remove the ripping functionality.  Version is the 23 January 2017 revision (BDP10X-83-1226).

Thanks