IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

15 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Yes

Yes however there was no need at all to look into these files, and any errant keystroke whatsoever will have broken that script. If there is any doubt in your mind about that, wipe the flash drive and re-download the AutoScript, and don't open it, just place it on the flash drive and safely eject it. If you use the Download button in the upper righthand corner of the DropBox interface, you should get the entire folder and not just it's contents.

Do you mean you had the on-screen displayed settings menu visible, and you navigated to the appropriate screen to perform the toggle that way, or did you mean you think you toggled the stereo/multichannel setting simply by pressing a single button on the remote?

You can't do the latter, i.e. you can't just press the audio button on the remote, you do have to use the on-screen displayed settings menu to make that toggle.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm pretty sure I looked at the contents of the AutoScript (via Notepad) in my Downloads folder and not the one I had copied to the USB stick, and I certainly didn't type anything or save the file subsequently. Nonetheless, I will take your advice and reload the USB stick with virgin copies from Dropbox in a little bit.

Yes, I meant I used the remote to navigate the on-screen menus to toggle the SACD Playback Channel option. I wasn't aware of any other method.

9 minutes ago, stereo hifi said:

The Sleep Server method is much easier and more efficient. Instead of hitting the Close button after inserting the disc, press the Power button on the remote, which closes the tray and turns the unit "off".  Quick start mode On in settings.

Agreed, however that won't likely solve the immediate issue he is facing where the server is apparently not making itself available on Port 2002.

The awake-server method is more laborious, but it does work.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

4 minutes ago, Ornette said:

Yes, I meant I used the remote to navigate the on-screen menus to toggle the SACD Playback Channel option. I wasn't aware of any other method.

OK, just checking as some folks thought you could simply press the audio button on the remote, and that will not work.

4 minutes ago, Ornette said:

I'm pretty sure I looked at the contents of the AutoScript (via Notepad) in my Downloads folder and not the one I had copied to the USB stick

Again just confirming, and while just viewing in Notepad++ won't break anything, any errant keystroke definitely will.

The flash drive needs to have an MBR partition scheme, and the AutoScript needs to be on the primary partition. Typically there is no reason to reformat anything as most small capacity flash drives come FAT32 with MBR right out of the package. NTFS (with MBR) will also work, but if there is a hidden primary partition on the flash drive that will foul things up.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

OK, I deleted the files from the USB stick, re-downloaded from Dropbox and uncompressed the zip folder right into D:\AutoScript on the USB stick. It made no difference.

Regarding Quick Start Mode ON and using the Power button instead of Close: I guess this eliminates the need to toggle SACD Playback Channel, but otherwise should work the same??

2 minutes ago, Ornette said:

OK, I deleted the files from the USB stick, re-downloaded from Dropbox and uncompressed the zip folder right into D:\AutoScript on the USB stick. It made no difference.

Regarding Quick Start Mode ON and using the Power button instead of Close: I guess this eliminates the need to toggle SACD Playback Channel, but otherwise should work the same??

Thats right, it is the sleep-server method and it is easier and can be done without any monitor or settings menu, once you've enabled the Quick Start mode.

However ti will not solve the issue of the player not starting a server on Port 2002.

Can you try a different flash drive, preferably one that has not been reformatted using the Windows Disk Manager? Many people have reported a miraculous success when substituting a different flash drive, suggesting the ones that don't wrk have a hidden partition.

Some have said a reformat using Disk Manager (or whatever the heck Windows is now calling it) didn't work but using a good 3rd party tool such as AOMEI did work in reformatting. But if you have a factory fresh flash drive, no reformat is necessary, unless it is a high capacity drive which can sometimes be formatted exFAT right out of the package, and that only works with Oppo players.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

4 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Thats right, it is the sleep-server method and it is easier and can be done without any monitor or settings menu, once you've enabled the Quick Start mode.

However ti will not solve the issue of the player not starting a server on Port 2002.

Can you try a different flash drive, preferably one that has not been reformatted using the Windows Disk Manager? Many people have reported a miraculous success when substituting a different flash drive, suggesting the ones that don't wrk have a hidden partition.

Some have said a reformat using Disk Manager (or whatever the heck Windows is now calling it) didn't work but using a good 3rd party tool such as AOMEI did work in reformatting. But if you have a factory fresh flash drive, no reformat is necessary, unless it is a high capacity drive which can sometimes be formatted exFAT right out of the package, and that only works with Oppo players.

OK, I can try a different USB drive. Does it need to be empty or can I just add the AutoScript folder to the root directory and leave existing files on there? Not sure if this will be of use, but here's what the Windows disk management tool shows for the USB drive (D:) I've been using thus far.

Screenshot (8).png

1 minute ago, Ornette said:

OK, I can try a different USB drive. Does it need to be empty or can I just add the AutoScript folder to the root directory and leave existing files on there? Not sure if this will be of use, but here's what the Windows disk management tool shows for the USB drive (D:) I've been using thus far.

Screenshot (8).png

It should not need to be empty, though many consider that best practice. Your screenshot looks good, there does not appear to be any reason why that drive wouldn't work.

The successful Ping narrows what could be wrong, it is as you said originally, simply no server available on port 2002. Some people believe it or not had trouble only after establishing a static IP, and that is absolutely not a requirement, DHCP works just fine.

Lastly, it never hurts to just power cycle the unit (with flash drive removed) and after reconnecting the AC cord give the machine just a bit to complete its initial boot sequence before making another attempt. You can monitor that by watching the front panel LED display, it initializes after replacing the AC cord even if you don't power it ON.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Bottom line: It's now working!!!

I found another USB stick and just created the AutoScript folder and uncompressed the scripts into it. (Didn't want to take the time to back everything up and delete.) Immediately, I heard sounds from the S590 that were new when I powered down and the SACD was read. Initially, when I ran sacd_extract, it terminated after maybe 10 seconds without the error message, BUT there were no files to be found anywhere. Turns out I needed to add the -s flag to give it an output format! Now it's chugging merrily along. This is awesome!

Thanks again (Mikey et al) for your help getting me up and running!!

BTW, what sequence of operations should I use to rip a subsequent SACD? I'm using the sleep mode.

7 minutes ago, Ornette said:

Bottom line: It's now working!!!

I found another USB stick and just created the AutoScript folder and uncompressed the scripts into it. (Didn't want to take the time to back everything up and delete.) Immediately, I heard sounds from the S590 that were new when I powered down and the SACD was read. Initially, when I ran sacd_extract, it terminated after maybe 10 seconds without the error message, BUT there were no files to be found anywhere. Turns out I needed to add the -s flag to give it an output format! Now it's chugging merrily along. This is awesome!

Thanks again (Mikey et al) for your help getting me up and running!!

BTW, what sequence of operations should I use to rip a subsequent SACD? I'm using the sleep mode.

Outstanding, way to stay at it!

With the sleep mode method you can just load another disc into the tray, and once again close it using the OFF button, wait for the LED display to cease flashing OFF, then execute the next rip. You should get 7-8 consecutive like that before the machine refuses that routine, likely because a memory leak in the executable exhausts the machine's very limited amount of RAM. When that happens you need to power cycle, at which point you can do another 7-8 consecutive before the same thing happens all over again.

You don't leave the flash drive in for that, take it out and leave it out until such time as the power cycle becomes necessary, and then once a new 1st rip is in progress remove the flash drive, the script stays in RAM and you get 7-8 in a row without it being read again, just remember to close the disc tray by pressing OFF each time.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Anyone have a complete or working version of instructions for this process on an oppo bdp-103?

The instructions I found say to use sonore iso2dsd
I go to the link, and get these instructions:

• Create a new folder called iso2dsd
  • Download iso2dsd_gui.jar.zip and unzip its content into the iso2dsd folder
  • Download sacd_extract for the operating system you use and unzip its content into the iso2dsd folder

I do this.

Then, the Windows instructions are

• Double click on iso2dsd_gui.jar

I do - and Windows doesn't know what to do with a .jar file.

I research, find it's an archive file. If I open it with 7zip, there's nothing in the contents that's an executable.

Plus - the original document that tells me to use sonore iso2dsd says OpenISO2DSD(I don’t know about the OSX and Linux versions, butWindowsusersshoulddouble-click oniso2dsd_gui.exe ) So.....the instructions on the download site say to run a .jar file, which windows doesn't know how to run, while the instructions that led me there refer to it as an .exe file, of which I've found no .exe file.

Is it just me, or do these instructions make no sense? How is it anyone figured out how to do this with such obviously flawed instructions? Is there a pre-requisite missing from the instructions that is required in order for a .jar file to run? Or, am I supposed to get an executable for a gui somewhere?

9 hours ago, JonnyGators said:

Anyone have a complete or working version of instructions for this process on an oppo bdp-103?

Is it just me, or do these instructions make no sense? How is it anyone figured out how to do this with such obviously flawed instructions? Is there a pre-requisite missing from the instructions that is required in order for a .jar file to run? Or, am I supposed to get an executable for a gui somewhere?

I've had similar issues over the years and have chalked it up to my "between the ears" problem.  Plus, this thread is so deep and wide that I'd be hard pressed to come up with the solution today.  Good luck!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

There are at least 5 things I can think of that could fix the problem depending on which version of Windows the OP is using, and there are simple methods to determine which to use. Or, the OP could simply do a search for something like 'jar file won't work in Windows', and find the answer himself. It could be as easy as simply associating the .jar extension with java, or updating java, but unless he provides more information any response to his post here would just be a guess.

1 hour ago, alandbush said:

Assuming that Java is installed you may solve your issue with jarfix.

That definitely works and might be easiest for those that don't want to hassle too much with Windows.

1 hour ago, BluRay444 said:

It could be as easy as simply associating the .jar extension with java

Often thats all it takes, literally right-click the .jar and then Run or Open with Java (assuming the OP has actually installed the JRE).

This issue as you said is well documented, and it's not the same for every version of Windows or even for every install of the same Windows version, that how stupid freakin' Windows this issue is. It is not a "ripping problem", or a "ripping program problem", or a "Sonore instructions problem", none of the above, it is stupid ridiculous Windows behavior, mindlessly erratic and inconsistent among installs, but not at all difficult to fix. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I'm trying to offer helpful suggestions to improve your documentation to prevent further frustrations.  I think listing the pre-requisite of java, and fixing the mistake of referring to the .jar file as an .exe file, are completely reasonable corrections to suggest, that would greatly improve the instructions.  Sorry if my help isn't appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...