IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I guys, how do you do?
I'm pretty new here and, after reading almost all the thread and the related links, I'm struggling with a question: is it possible to read SACD-R with a Sony BDP-S790? I have one updated to the latest firmware but, from what I read, if I learn how to downgrade it, it will doesn't play them anyway, right?
Best regards and thanks to whom will reply.

@ziopanna

I should know the answer to that but I do not because I've never owned a S790, only a S390 and S590.

We discovered that the S790 uses a different ARM chipset than the 390 and 590 but it can be used for ripping once you straighten that out.

But as to whether it ever supported reading SACD-R - I do not know if that was ever determined.

The 590 can read SACD-R up through firmware M12.R.0430, which was released on July 17, 2012.

The last 790 firmware released on or before July 17, 2012 are the following:

M13R0369.ZIP   109.26Mb  May 15 2012

M13R0369M.ZIP 109.26Mb May 15 2012

(I don't know the difference between the first and second "M" version.)

So you could downgrading to one of those and see what happens (assuming you understand how to downgrade and can find the right firmware files.)

Perhaps one of our 790 owners can chime in with more definite information.

(Because 790s are relatively so rare, and 390s and 590s are relatively so common, you might just be better off getting one of the latter for your SACD-R playing unit.)

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

But as to whether it ever supported reading SACD-R - I do not know if that was ever determined.

An SACD-R compatibility list was assembled by mrwicked some years ago, but it's not exhaustive. Unclear if the S790 was ever tested, it neither appears on the working or not working section of the list, so it appears that it wasn't.

I have an S790 that I could test, but I do not have any SACD-Rs nor do I know how to create one.

What do I need to do on macOS, simply burn an ISO to a DVD-R blank? Media is DVD+R, DVD-R, or either one is OK?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

If I remember correctly DVD-R or DVD-RW.  Not sure about DVD+R.  Just burn the ISO.  As you stated many players have, through firmware, opted out of SACD-R playback unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Perhaps one of our 790 owners can chime in with more definite information.

This earlier post suggests a successful firmware downgrade on the S790 to the earliest version still did not enable SACD-R playback.

The above was according to one report on the Malcom Stagg site. Based on that, I agree with your stance that the best way to go abut this would be to acquire an S390 or S590.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Yes, I looked on the Malcom Stagg website and it has

Bobby for confirming a successful downgrade from M13.R.0460 to M13.R.0369 on BDP-S790
(unfortunately SACD-R is still broken in 0369)

@MikeyFresh If you wanted to downgrade your 790 and try this, then we would have at least another data point, for what it is worth.  Normally, I would caution someone about engaging in this kind of firmware downgrade that serious things can happen if it goes wrong.  But you're obviously as experienced as any of us, and you have likely downgraded a Sony before using the Stagg software.

Yes, a SACD is the result of simply burning a DVD-R with an SACD .iso.  You would use the "burn image" option rather than the "burn data" option.  I have tended to use DVD-R because it was the first format created.

@ziopanna Here's the link to a rather complete list of SACD-R players.  You may already have one of these.  The truth of the matter is that most people who rip SACD are trying to get away from little silver discs rather than creating more of them.  But SACD-R can be a convenient way to make back-up copies of your discs to play.

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/wiki/A-list-of-SACD-R-compatible-players.

I have used this firmware to rip my SACDs:  it is a fantastic solution.

I have several blu-rays and DVDs that contain concerts.  I would like to rip them to flacs, and play them via JRiver Media Center to my SOTM streamer, and then on to my DAC.  I have tried multiple routes to rip the DVDs, but they are protected.

Is there an Oppo solution that would rip the DVDs and return the flacs in a manner similar to how it works with SACDs?  As I'm sitting here typing, now I'm wondering:  will this solution work with a DVD instead of a SACD?

Thank you...

Ron

14 hours ago, Ron Ippolito said:

I have used this firmware to rip my SACDs:  it is a fantastic solution.

I have several blu-rays and DVDs that contain concerts.  I would like to rip them to flacs, and play them via JRiver Media Center to my SOTM streamer, and then on to my DAC.  I have tried multiple routes to rip the DVDs, but they are protected.

Is there an Oppo solution that would rip the DVDs and return the flacs in a manner similar to how it works with SACDs?  As I'm sitting here typing, now I'm wondering:  will this solution work with a DVD instead of a SACD?

Thank you...

Ron

You cannot use the Oppo SACD ripping solution for DVD's and Bluray's but you can use an app called DVD Audio Extractor for both DVD's and Bluray's, along with a computer and a disc reader.

Let's keep this thread about SACD ripping.  To rip PCM-based discs like BluRays, DVDs, DVD-Audio, etc do a search at the top of this forum.  There are dozens of threads on how to rip DVDs, etc.  And yes, DVD Audio Extractor is a good tool.  Also, for Blurays search on MakeMKV or Audiomuxer.

Back on topic please.  🙂

Hi all, 

I am having a really strange problem exporting one SACD. It is the third disc of the Klemperer Brahms Warner japan SACD cycle. I have tried using both ISO2DSD as well as a BAT file where I run sacd_extract.exe from a command line. The process runs fine, and appears to compete successfully; however the resulting export folder is not accessible to view- windows states that the directory is unavailable. It also cannot be deleted or renamed. 
I have tried a number of different things, tried changing the output directory in the BAT file, tried exporting as either a raw ISO or as DSD tracks, but I always get the same result. This is the only disc I’ve ever encountered an issue like this with; and I have probably ripped 100 or so other discs using ISO2DSD without issue.

has anyone ever encountered an issue like this before?

4 minutes ago, yammyfan said:

Hi all, 

I am having a really strange problem exporting one SACD. It is the third disc of the Klemperer Brahms Warner japan SACD cycle. I have tried using both ISO2DSD as well as a BAT file where I run sacd_extract.exe from a command line. The process runs fine, and appears to compete successfully; however the resulting export folder is not accessible to view- windows states that the directory is unavailable. It also cannot be deleted or renamed. 
I have tried a number of different things, tried changing the output directory in the BAT file, tried exporting as either a raw ISO or as DSD tracks, but I always get the same result. This is the only disc I’ve ever encountered an issue like this with; and I have probably ripped 100 or so other discs using ISO2DSD without issue.

has anyone ever encountered an issue like this before?

The only problem I ever had was with Art Pepper - ...the way it was.  I think it was because of the album title started with periods and the app did not like that.  What is the title on the album?

17 minutes ago, stoutblock said:

The only problem I ever had was with Art Pepper - ...the way it was.  I think it was because of the album title started with periods and the app did not like that.  What is the title on the album?

No periods to start the name:

”Brahms Symphony No.4 etc.\Disc 3\Brahms Symphony No.4 etc. - Disc 3 of 3 (disc 3-3).iso”

or when exporting as DSD files, as individual tracks within the same folder structure.

I have plenty of other discs I have ripped in the past that use very similar naming conventions, it’s odd.

what would be nice is if I could change the export folder to test; however the “Brahms Symphony no.4 etc.” seems to be hard coded. Sure, I can export to a different folder from command line, but the program will still create that subdirectory, and I haven’t found a way to change that, or the name of the export file.

anyhow I can still listen to the disc on my OPPO I guess, I just like having my digital ISOs handy.

35 minutes ago, yammyfan said:

No periods to start the name:

”Brahms Symphony No.4 etc.\Disc 3\Brahms Symphony No.4 etc. - Disc 3 of 3 (disc 3-3).iso”

or when exporting as DSD files, as individual tracks within the same folder structure.

I have plenty of other discs I have ripped in the past that use very similar naming conventions, it’s odd.

what would be nice is if I could change the export folder to test; however the “Brahms Symphony no.4 etc.” seems to be hard coded. Sure, I can export to a different folder from command line, but the program will still create that subdirectory, and I haven’t found a way to change that, or the name of the export file.

anyhow I can still listen to the disc on my OPPO I guess, I just like having my digital ISOs handy.

I think I found the problem, amazingly enough I just hit the same error with another set. Berglund’s Sibelius cycle from Tower Japan. The name of the embedded output folder is:

“Sibelius 7 Symphonies etc.”

looks like the period at the end of the output folder directory is the culprit, I checked my other discs that worked and none of them are in folders that end with a period...with the exception of the last disc of the Klemperer Brahms set where I ran into the same issue.

without any way to modify that output directory, it would appear I am out of luck for ripping these discs. 

anyone know if there is a way to modify that output directory? The CFG file allows me to add artist or performer to the folder but that doesn’t change the fact that the last character of the folder name is a ‘.’

1 hour ago, yammyfan said:

I think I found the problem, amazingly enough I just hit the same error with another set. Berglund’s Sibelius cycle from Tower Japan. The name of the embedded output folder is:

“Sibelius 7 Symphonies etc.”

looks like the period at the end of the output folder directory is the culprit, I checked my other discs that worked and none of them are in folders that end with a period...with the exception of the last disc of the Klemperer Brahms set where I ran into the same issue.

without any way to modify that output directory, it would appear I am out of luck for ripping these discs. 

anyone know if there is a way to modify that output directory? The CFG file allows me to add artist or performer to the folder but that doesn’t change the fact that the last character of the folder name is a ‘.’

I think this was corrected in the most recent version of sacd_extract, which version are you using? This same thing occurred on certain SACD versions of Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard, in the metadata they abbreviated the last word of the album title to Blvd.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

11 minutes ago, yammyfan said:

0.3.9.3. It’s probably 5 or 6 months old, I guess?

OK but that's not the EuFlo enhanced version, which is what you need with Windows, this problem only affects Windows so if you have a Mac or Linux install, you won't have the same issue there.

If Windows is all you have, then you need to swap out the sacd_extract.exe file with EuFlo's enhanced version -93 or newer (current is -99). Scroll to the bottom of that page to reveal the Assets.

EDIT: This issue may also affect Linux, but definitely not Mac, however I didn't test Linux so I'm not sure but I think it's OK there too.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

26 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

OK but that's not the EuFlo enhanced version, which is what you need with Windows, this problem only affects Windows so if you have a Mac or Linux install, you won't have the same issue there.

If Windows is all you have, then you need to swap out the sacd_extract.exe file with EuFlo's enhanced version -93 or newer (current is -99). Scroll to the bottom of that page to reveal the Assets.

Thanks. Windows only here so will give that a go.

Have gone through two routers in the past few years, first Linksys, and TP-Link AC-1750, and never had issues until now, with newly purchased ASUS AX5400.  After changing the IP address defined by the new router for Oppo 103, the Java Script stated that IP address not recognized.  From the network map of ASUS AX5400 user interphase, the Oppo 103 was clearly visible with IP address.  Once click the Execution button, got blank page, appearing there was something going on until one or two min later, the error message mentioned above showed up.  Switch back to TP-Link and everything was back to normal.  I have had ASUS AX5400 for about couple weeks.  It works seamlessly with HQPlayer and SoTM streamer when did the transition.  Wonder if anything obvious I have been missing here?  What else I should look into to nail down the issue?  Thank you very much for your insight!