IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

5 minutes ago, Graf_Orlok said:

German for convenience:

Wie verhält sich der Player mit USB-Stick? Öffnet sich das Laufwerk automatisch?

Nochmal kurz zusammen gefasst:

1. Firmware des Players aktuell? Bei mir lief es nicht mit der alten.
  2. Ist der Schnellstart-Modus am Player an? Wenn ja:
    1. Player an den Strom hängen.
    2. Das "Waiting" am Display abwarten, wenn das Display wieder aus ist, ist er im Standby
    3. Den Stick anstecken
    4. Den Player einschalten
    5. Das Laufwerk sollte sich öffnen, die SACD einlegen
    6. Bei OFFENEN Laufwerk Gerät wieder ausschalten (Standby)
    7. An den Mac gehen.

With all due respect, that does not work for many of the rest of us, as this is an English-speaking forum.

There are only a couple of things left to check, but since I don't read German I don't know if they are mentioned above.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I just opened in Chrome to use Translate, the above in German is all correct but there a few other considerations including the OP was at least initially following the awake-server guide.

While that method works perfectly well, it isn't necessary and I prefer the sleep-server method, which is what @Graf_Orlokis describing, but they are two different things, so let's not get the OP confused here, chose one method or the other.

I would also like to confirm that on the Mac the sacd_extract file is defined as a Unix Executable. If it is described as a TestEdit document, that's one problem that needs resolving. @Locke65please advise if your sacd_extract file is a Unix Executable or not.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

@MikeyFresh

Concerning the sacd_extract file

If I get information ("cmd"I) on sacd_extract

@MikeyFresh

@Graf_Orlok

Concerning the method

for now I would like to focus on the "SACD Backup (Awake-Server Method)"

If I can't get it working - that's a different question.

@Graf_Orlok

Concerning your questions

• Firmware: not sure - I found "ESN: Sony-HAV12KL1108D66E0-LZVK00EJTU" (menu / configuration / system-configuration / system-information
    I also used "network-update" and the BDP-S590 answers: "already actual"
  • quick-start-modus: on

Thanks for your help - and - I hope we get closer to a solution.

2 hours ago, Locke65 said:

Thanks for your help - and - I hope we get closer to a solution.

You are very close after you make sacd_extract executable.

The above will work, however if you insist on the awake-server method, the only difference is you close the disc tray normally with the open/close button (instead of Power OFF), then enter the player's Settings menu and toggle the Stereo/MCH setting.

It does not matter which one you start with or which one you settle on, the toggle has no actual bearing on the rip itself, it merely causes the player to allow the AutoScript to run, so you can start at Stereo and toggle to MCH, or vice versa, it does not matter which one, only that the toggle occurs and the AutoScript then runs. After toggling, you can Run the rip.

Sleep-server is easier, no monitor is required, no more Settings menu, just close the disc tray by Powering OFF, then watch the LED display flash OFF, and Run the rip when it goes dark.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I like to verify my procedure on handling sacd.iso files. 

The ISO file is generated with the iso2dsd software (OS X v1) by the sleep-server method. 

As far as I experienced the software iso2dsd features also the output into single tracks:

Output Mode: Sony DSF (as far as I understand a format for DSD). They play just fine!

My Question

• DSF is a format for DSD - is this correct?
  • A DSD / DSF file has only one Channel Mode: Dual OR Multi
  • If I want to keep dual and multi Channel versions I have to options:
    • keep the iso 
    • generate two extractions of the tracks from the iso (one multi / one dual) - than discard iso
  • I'm using JRiver as my music-server-software. As far as I understand the sacd.iso can be handled by JRiver directly (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD) - JRiver can distinguish between different tracks within the sacd.iso. Even JRemote (iOS-app to connect with iPhone / iPad to JRiver) can play sacd.iso! 
    • The only disadvantage of using the sacd.iso: the bad handling of Metadata for sacd.iso compared to DSF-files is this correct?
  • I would appreciate if someone would have an idea how to stream & play hires (DSD) directly on my iPhone - but maybe that's asking for to the impossible?

Thanks for your help!

setting

BDP-S590

MacOS

JRiver27

2 hours ago, Locke65 said:

I would appreciate if someone would have an idea how to stream & play hires (DSD) directly on my iPhone - but maybe that's asking for to the impossible?

Only with a proper playback app (eg. Onkyo HF Player), and a DSD capable external DAC connected by the proper Lightning cable or camera adapter (CCK), which depends on the exact model/version of iPhone.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

On 2/19/2021 at 9:56 AM, Locke65 said:

• The only disadvantage of using the sacd.iso: the bad handling of Metadata for sacd.iso compared to DSF-files is this correct?

Yes, and MP3 tag editor works on DSF files, so you can add or modify artwork, etc. This software is actually German so the link is to the German language site, but English is also an option. 

1 hour ago, Darryl R said:

After about 4 years my Pioneer BDP-80FD just died.  Any other budget machines available these days?

That all depends on your definition of "budget", and what is available at any given moment at auction or in classifieds, as there are likely no more new in box compatible players like there were when you bought the BDP-80FD.

Many of the compatible Sony models can be found relatively cheap on the used market, but again, this all depends on your definition of cheap.

I won a Denon DBT-3313 at auction for $150, and while some may not consider that "cheap", it is definitely cheap relative to the original retail price of that unit which I believe was $1,299.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

56 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

That all depends on your definition of "budget", and what is available at any given moment at auction or in classifieds, as there are likely no more new in box compatible players like there were when you bought the BDP-80FD.

Many of the compatible Sony models can be found relatively cheap on the used market, but again, this all depends on your definition of cheap.

I won a Denon DBT-3313 at auction for $150, and while some may not consider that "cheap", it is definitely cheap relative to the original retail price of that unit which I believe was $1,299.

Thanks.  Back in 2017 there were the Oppo's and more expensive Pioneers, and then the budget Pioneer BDP-170/80FD, according to Ted's original post.  A quick search reveals you found out about the Denons about a year ago.  Good for you.  I was curious about new findings as much as cost.  I suppose I'll scan the thread for a list of units when I have time later.

1 hour ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

I wonder if anyone can kindly pinpoint the list of the players can be used for this purpose.

I saw this graphic somewhere, probably on the thread over on HiFi Haven. It offers a nice summary...

SACDAutoRip_overview_20200722.png

38 minutes ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Very likely I looked at the wrong link.  

Ok, well, I will point out that at the link that you circled, there is a list with 7 manufacturers and 19 different models!

Anyway, you should have plenty of choices to choose from, between the two. 👍