IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

25 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Which version?

Latest on Sonore site ... which always indicates “OSX v1”.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen B-side(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu A-side(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>uspbc>iso regen(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I don't think I'm the first one this has happened to, but after an hour and a half of searching through 212 pages I'm stumped:

Yesterday I spent part of the day ripping SACDs that I hadn't gotten around to. Everything worked fine. I probably extracted a good dozen SACDs. Toward the end of the process I'd just load a disc in the Oppo, close the door, go to the next room where one of my laptops is running ISO2DSD, click on Execute and go do other stuff, and later check back on the extraction. If it was done I'd eject the disc, replace it with another, go back to the laptop and hit Execute again.

This worked flawlessly until the last disc -- when I hit Execute I got the message:

Failed to connect.

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.41.:2002 for reading

Nothing was changed in the setup. Absolutely nothing. My LAN was still up, the IP address of the Oppo was still the same (and there was evidently *some* communication between laptop and Oppo because when I changed the Oppo to manual IP and put in a free address, the copy of ISO2DSD recognized the changed address)

I've powered down the Oppo multiple times, started it with the USB stick inserted, started then inserted the USB stick -- either way the drawer opens in about 5 seconds.

Nothing has changed on the USB stick. Nothing has changed on in folder on my laptop where iso2dsd_gui.jar and sacd_extract reside.

Any help gratefully appreciated. As I said, it was working great right up until it didn't anymore.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon cartridge, Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum S250 amplifier, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Sonus Faber Aida speakers, SVS SB16 Ultra quad subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

There is erroneous information earlier in this thread where certain members were insisting you need to start the machine with the flash drive already inserted, that is incorrect, always boot the machine with flash drive removed.

Really?  I've been ripping from my Oppo players for years now and generally boot with the flash drive inserted.  Never have any problems. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

52 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Really?  I've been ripping from my Oppo players for years now and generally boot with the flash drive inserted.  Never have any problems. 

Kal:  that's one of the many perks of being a reviewer! :)

34 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

It's not that you can't boot the machine with the flash drive already inserted, just that it isn't necessary to do so, and after a problem occurs such as the one posted above, it is best to let the the unit go through it's initial boot sequence first before running the AutoScript, as the whole point of the hard power cycle is to start fresh.

I understand that from my own experience but I interpreted your statement 

4 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

There is erroneous information earlier in this thread where certain members were insisting you need to start the machine with the flash drive already inserted, that is incorrect, always boot the machine with flash drive removed.

to mean that one should "always boot the machine with the flash drive removed."

Kal Rubinson

40 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I understand that from my own experience but I interpreted your statement 

to mean that one should "always boot the machine with the flash drive removed."

I could have said that better/been more clear, I really meant after a hard power cycle intended to clear the decks.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott TIDAL

Boycott Warner Music Group

Hello everyone! I finally made an account here after lurking for years haha. I have a question. I just ripped my first SACD. Using a BDP S5100. Weezer's Blue album. The rip is great. Except for some reason some tracks come out too long. Like the end of one track creeps onto the start of the next track. It's annoying. Gapless helps but not when choosing and picking single tracks. Has anyone experienced this? I noticed the padding less option helps a tad. But it's still there.

Thanks all!

On 1/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, fatherotti said:

Hello everyone! I finally made an account here after lurking for years haha. I have a question. I just ripped my first SACD. Using a BDP S5100. Weezer's Blue album. The rip is great. Except for some reason some tracks come out too long. Like the end of one track creeps onto the start of the next track. It's annoying. Gapless helps but not when choosing and picking single tracks. Has anyone experienced this? I noticed the padding less option helps a tad. But it's still there.

Thanks all!

Are you using the iso2dsd software to create the tracks from the iso file?  I never had this problem with iso2dsd, not to say it couldn't happen.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Are you using the iso2dsd software to create the tracks from the iso file?  I never had this problem with iso2dsd, not to say it couldn't happen.

Yup! Iso2dsd. I can't test it with another SACD. But they come out this way straight from the S5100. Even from the iso file. It's strange but I think the SACD itself may have been mastered this way. I've also tried it with SACD extract gui and the tracks come out the same. My only workaround has been to change the timing in the cue file so that all the tracks are lined up correctly. Unfortunately I have to rely on other software to do this, because iso 2 dsd doesn't seem to have the ability to split from cue files. 

Will there be another update of the list of Blu-Ray-Players that work? It seems that most of them aren't available anymore. I didn't plan to buy a Blu-Ray Player again but for the SACD support it would be good if there would be one that also supports 4K/UHD Blu-Ray Discs.

55 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Will there be another update of the list of Blu-Ray-Players that work?

The list has been updated repeatedly over the years and is current, all player models tested as compatible are listed.

56 minutes ago, Stevie said:

It seems that most of them aren't available anymore

They are generally not available as new-in-box, because they've been discontinued. 2016 or sometime during 2017 was the last time any of these units were still in production, other than maybe the Sony S6700, however that one is known to be hit or miss due to at some point during the model run a silent hardware revision or some other change was made rendering it incompatible. So the S6700 is not recommended, because late in the production run units don't work, only the earlier produced version does and we don't know exactly where the cut-off exists with regard to serial #.

That said, almost any of these models are available as used/second hand examples.

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

I didn't plan to buy a Blu-Ray Player again but for the SACD support it would be good if there would be one that also supports 4K/UHD Blu-Ray Discs.

You might want to reconsider that, no 4k compatible model ever tested has been found to be compatible, so most of us just consider that and indeed all everyday video player tasks to be the duty of one player, while the SACD ripping task is dedicated to one or more older models that are held in reserve of everyday use and only purposed for ripping SACD. They do not need to be 4k capable to perform that job, and many can be found quite cheap if you watch the auctions and local classifieds or thrift shops. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott TIDAL

I am not sure any units of current manufacture could "make the list".  Legacy products may be the only way to do this but I could be wrong.

Lumin X1, iFi PRO iDSD, iFi PRO iCAN, Questyle Twelve (Master), Marantz AV8805, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, Ultimate Ears UE-18, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I am not sure any units of current manufacture could "make the list".  Legacy products may be the only way to do this but I could be wrong.

That would certainly appear to be the case, as only a very limited set of Linux kernel versions and MediaTek SoC combinations have ever been found to be compatible, and they are old.

While nowhere near as limited as the initial single PS3 model and firmware version found compatible in 2011, the pool of Blu-ray players compatible with ripping SACD is not very likely to grow substantially from here forward. Not impossible, but not very likely either.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott TIDAL

This exploit is not likely to be repeated the "same". OTOH SACD ability is now in cheaper and cheaper units, which does increase the chances of another exploit turning up. Not a big reason to work much at it until existing players become rare.

Cheaper players will have less scrutiny, maybe share both common devices and code.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I just joined and I have the usual questions. I know you all must have answered these questions 100s of times already but I am really lost. Thus, please help.

1. Which page has latest updated list of all the working players?

2. I have a classic OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player; will it work for ripping the SACDs?

3. Let's say I manage to buy other compatible player, where can I find latest step by step guide for the whole ripping process?

Thanks

There is a way to evaluate a DSF file using Audacity and an old FFmpeg from 2014 which allows a view of the spectrogram.  It shows the source of the SACD which is informative but also discouraging. I have found that many of my SACDs are created from the CD.  This might explain why some can't "hear" a difference between the 2 formats.  The cleanest DSF files are recorded direct to DSD128 or DSD256.  All extraneous noise has been removed.

Examples:  the first is sourced from a CD, the second recorded in DSD64 and the third a direct to DSD256.

It really shows that all SACDs should list their recording format so you know what you are actually getting.  Chandos does this and nativeDSD (although they have been incorrect a couple of times).

01 - 1ère Suite LE BOURGEOIS GENTILHOMME, 1670 - Ouverture.jpg

01 - Fanfare to La Peri.jpg

2_Flor-e-o-Espinho_256fs-2ch.jpg

31 minutes ago, dtblair said:

Examples:  the first is sourced from a CD, the second recorded in DSD64 and the third a direct to DSD256.

Are you saying that that .....the second is recorded from a CD into DSD64... or that .....the second is recorded directly in DSD64.... ?

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, dtblair said:

There is a way to evaluate a DSF file using Audacity and an old FFmpeg from 2014 which allows a view of the spectrogram.  It shows the source of the SACD which is informative but also discouraging. I have found that many of my SACDs are created from the CD.  This might explain why some can't "hear" a difference between the 2 formats.  The cleanest DSF files are recorded direct to DSD128 or DSD256.  All extraneous noise has been removed.

It really shows that all SACDs should list their recording format so you know what you are actually getting.  Chandos does this and nativeDSD (although they have been incorrect a couple of times).

01 - 1ère Suite LE BOURGEOIS GENTILHOMME, 1670 - Ouverture.jpg

01 - Fanfare to La Peri.jpg

2_Flor-e-o-Espinho_256fs-2ch.jpg

I've been looking for that version of ffmpeg. It's the only one that can do it. But unfortunately they got rid of all the download links for it. Do you mind sharing a copy of it? :) Thanks.