IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

53 minutes ago, Lkdog said:

Yeah- it would not open with JAVA.

The JAR Executor program got it open SONORE.

Just can't get it to talk to the OPPO now.

I gave up on Sonore and Java some time ago with a new Win10 pc. For ripping SACD, I use the command line with admin privileges.

When you changed to a different USB stick, looks like the original was not partitioned. Even though the files and folder are the same , the partition needs to be active. Smaller the USB the better like and old 1GB or less.

"Prepare a blank USB Stick, use Bootice to create a new MBR, format the drive to FAT32.."

Hope this helps.

Here's the batch file I use, called SACD-Ripper2.bat created in Notepad. Run it from the desktop, and set the file to run with admin from the Properties|Advanced window.

image.png.09a204255705d8ced8a9f93e8e8f8c54.png

ECHO

E:

cd E:\Music_Workshop\SACD-Ripper

sacd_extract -2 -I -P -i172.17.20.14:2002 

Pause

So the folder SACD-Ripper has sacd_extract.exe in it, that's it. This command creates the .ISO in 2ch only. Don't have/want/use multi-channel setups. The 172... is the IP address of the BD player. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

20 minutes ago, captainbrent said:

Does it, or is it only for certain drives/setups? I'm only asking as I have been using the same 1G drive, without any partitions, since the beginning of this hack.

I used the regular windows format command and didn't work, so tried with create partition with Bootice and from then on, the ripping worked. The USB stick wasn't labelled with any certainty of working hahahaha 😀 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Sonore ISO2DSD is quite different/separate from iso2dsd_gui.jar and they use different/incompatible versions of sacd_extract.

You should keep them apart in different directories/folders.

Kal that's incorrect, they do use the exact same sacd_extract now, Sonore updated their repository to point at EuFlo's enhanced version 0.3.9.3.88.

In fact, the executable included with SACDExtractGUI going back to mindset's original version in fall 2018 and the update he did in spring 2019 were always compatible with ISO2DSD, but the vice versa was not true, i.e. the older executable in the ISO2DSD package was incompatible with SACDExtractGUI until Sonore recently updated it back in August (or so) with EuFlo's new version.

EDIT: my mistake, I misread this and thought you were referring to SACDExtractGUI. I don't even know what iso2dsd_gui is. Sonore's program has always been labeled in caps "ISO2DSD".

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, Lkdog said:

I uninstalled JAVA and the JAR Executor program and started over.

Installed both 32 and 64 bit version of JAVA.

You only need the 64-bit version of Java, I don't know why you installed the 32-bit version as well, the requirement here is 64-bit Java, and it does work on Windows 10.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Sonore ISO2DSD is quite different/separate from iso2dsd_gui.jar and they use different/incompatible versions of sacd_extract.

You should keep them apart in different directories/folders.

I am not following this but it is probably me. LOL.

I have the iso2dsd_gui.jar  file unzipped in a separate folder. I can right click on it and open it with JAVA.

SONORE then opens.

It is just not communicating with the OPPO unit for some reason.

4 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

You only need the 64-bit version of Java, I don't know why you installed the 32-bit version as well, the requirement here is 64-bit Java, and it does work on Windows 10.

I deleted the 32 bit version. The JAVA website said to install both 32 and 64 bit versions if you used Firefox or other non compatible 64 bit browsers.

The iso2dsd_gui.jar does open now with JAVA.

SONORE is not talking to the OPPO still though......

18 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Kal that's incorrect, they do use the exact same sacd_extract now, Sonore updated their repository to point at EuFlo's enhanced version 0.3.9.3.88.

Thank you.  I have not kept up with the Sonore app lately.

18 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

EDIT: my mistake, I misread this and thought you were referring to SACDExtractGUI. I don't even know what iso2dsd_gui is. Sonore's program has always been labeled in caps "ISO2DSD".

My error.  I was referring to SACDExtractGUI but did so incorrectly.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

24 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

In fact, the executable included with SACDExtractGUI going back to mindset's original version in fall 2018 and the update he did in spring 2019 were always compatible with ISO2DSD, but the vice versa was not true, i.e. the older executable in the ISO2DSD package was incompatible with SACDExtractGUI until Sonore recently updated it back in August (or so) with EuFlo's new version.

Mikey-

The sacd_extract I am using on the USB stick in the Autoscript folder is different than the one in the zipped SACDExtractGUI file.

The one I am using is 345kb.

The one in that unizpped folder is 7MB.

Should I try the other one?

17 minutes ago, Lkdog said:

I am not following this but it is probably me. LOL.

I have the iso2dsd_gui.jar  file unzipped in a separate folder. I can right click on it and open it with JAVA.

SONORE then opens.

It is just not communicating with the OPPO unit for some reason.

My reply was in error.  Ignore it please.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

33 minutes ago, Lkdog said:

Mikey-

The sacd_extract I am using on the USB stick in the Autoscript folder is different than the one in the zipped SACDExtractGUI file.

The one I am using is 345kb.

The one in that unizpped folder is 7MB.

Should I try the other one?

Both the USB flash drive and the ISO2DSD program contain a file called sacd_extract, but they are not the same/interchangeable even though they have the same name. Do not move them around or try to replace them with each other. If you already did that you are going to get confused fast, because they have the exact same name. Leave them as they were... which leads me to:

48 minutes ago, Lkdog said:

I have the iso2dsd_gui.jar  file unzipped in a separate folder.

This is the source of your problem, both the .jar file and the sacd_extract you downloaded through Sonore's website (the link for which points at EuFlo's GitHub) need to be in the same folder.

From the Sonore webpage:

SETUP

• Create a new folder called iso2dsd
  • Download iso2dsd_gui.jar.zip and unzip its content into the iso2dsd folder
  • Download sacd_extract for the operating system you use and unzip its content into the iso2dsd folder

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

15 minutes ago, lordvader said:

Any thoughts/ideas on whether the Pioneer LX500/800 models are compatible?

Very unlikely as there are no known 4k players that are compatible, and Pioneer was actually fairly early in shutting down compatibility as compared to Sony for instance.

If you have access to one you could try to run @Nexus3's ARMinfo script on it to see if it yields any clues, but it is definitely unlikely.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Hi All, 

Like Lkdog, I was not able to get the Sonore app to work. Which is odd as it did work. No clue why it has stoped working. All the files were in the right place, but no joy. Oppo tray opened up but the Sonore App just didn't work.

But using the SACDExtractGUI, which I had used before, just forgot about it. It worked like a charm. Happily ripping away.

Thanks Lkdog for your post, as I was about to loose my marbles. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 12:01 AM, Lkdog said:

Success!! 😀 Thanks to MikeyFresh and everyone else here who jumped in.

I ended up using the files on here instead.

SACD extraction for dummies like me

Got it going after I figured out the GUI field to point it to the SACD_extract.exe file.

Listening to CHET by Chet Baker right now.

Sounds great.

The newer SACDExtractGUI program is much easier to use.

Will allow me to stream DSF files via JRIVER to my external modded OPPO Sonica DAC which I like a little better than the OPPO 105 stock unit DAC. Both very good though.

Thanks so much everybody.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:01 AM, Lkdog said:

***I was able to solve my issues by following all of this.  I had same issues as Lkdog re: software, hardware, Java, operating system, and needing to correct the SACD extract file.  Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Successful SACD rip from Sony BDP S490

1 First, thanks to everybody who laid down 211 pages of breadcrumbs to follow for my Sony S490, which is a European model with a tiny front data screen but no wifi (£25 from Ebay).

2 Rip worked with latest firmware - M12.R.0510

3 Tried awake method with ISO2DSD but it didn't work - not even a message saying that it wasn't working.  Don't know why - drawer popped out etc. with a minor modification to line 2 (of 5) of autoscript replacing "sd*" with "sda1".  AutoScript and sacd_extract_160 were the only two files in the AutoScript folder.

4 Tried direct to USB method which stalled for hours - probably because I was using a FAT32 stick rather than NTFS and the .iso SACD file would have been much greater than 4Gb.

5 Tried the sleep method with SACDExtractgui.jar which worked - ran the Autoscript as modified per 3, put in the Dark Side of the Moon and turned off the player (which then closed the disc drawer) and ran sacdextractgui on my PC.  Also didn't need to disable my Norton firewall but I had added the S490 to my windows 10 trusted devices.

6 At a guess ripping stereo and 5.1 tracks to .dsf took 20 minutes - but my rip folder with only these files in now has 6.78 Gb of .dsf files.  Fortunately my NAS will store another 30+ SACDs.

7. Next chapter is what to do with the files and get them into a Linn Akurate hub but that is another chapter as yet unwritten.   I am thinking of converting the stereo files to 24 bit flac because I am told the Linn Akurate hub will not deal with 5.1 from a NAS so the project may stop at 24 bit stereo flacs - or I will have to find a way to downsize the 5.1 audio files to fit on a DVD or buy a blu-ray writer drive for my PC.  I think the 5.1 pcm optical out from the S-40 will be recognised by an Akurate hub but the specs say not in DSD bitstream.  Currently the stereo SACD layer in pcm from the optical out of the S490 into my Kisto works but it sounds like a compressed mp3 which is not what I want given my standard flacs ripped from the CD layer sound better.  Any advice on these DVD/blu-ray writing/software issues would be very welcome but understood that is outside the remit of this thread so the shorter the better.

Kal 

Thanks for the interest but the Sony S490 does send a choice of 5.1 (or stereo) DSD bitstream and the same choice from the DSD in pcm via the optical.   How well I can't say yet but I know the stereo pcm optical is complete because the Kisto handles it in full and it also takes the 5.1 stream where I can hear it is playing only the front two streams because it is clearly missing the extra 3.1.  Frankly that 2 of 5.1 is unlistenable because eg. in the Money track half the money and the tills are missing which I can normally in the rear in 5.1 from my unidisk (which is analog 5.1 for DSD).

I know this is drifting far from the thread but it might be of interest to somebody.

SACD ripping creates the iso file which for me contains both stereo and multichannel tracts.  To convert the iso to dsf more than doubles the storage requirement. JRiver and Foorbar can decompress the iso and send the dsd to my DAC.  Has anyone heard any sonic differences due to the decompressing (similar to the flac wav discussion) of the file versus the raw dsf?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 10:52 AM, dtblair said:

Has anyone heard any sonic differences due to the decompressing (similar to the flac wav discussion) of the file versus the raw dsf?

The compression found on an SACD (called DST) is lossless, and typically only pertains to the multichannel tracks.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Maybe wandering off topic, ... but -

noted some time back I was getting a faint ticketty-tick-tick on only dsf files, but not pcm even though my HQP settings are at upsampling to dsf128 for everything - into RME dac. Only bothered when in soft passages, particularly classical piano etc.

Range of dsf files sources - sacd from Oppo using mac OSX Sonore + DLs from elsewhere using Sonore to rip isos, plus DLed dsf files etc ...

Got round to investigating & the fix was to change HQP, tickbox from 48x128 to 44.1x128!! But pcm upsampling to dsf & below .wv method were ok.

Bizarrely, dsf files dl-ed in .wv compression & then converted to dsf were fine, playing without issue, as per all pcm. ie iso to dsd extractions from me or others was always problematic.

Explanation? Thoughts?

Maybe simply a mac iso extraction problem? If so, is there another mac extraction solution?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.