IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

2 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

Indeed, but just to be sure - you have extracted the whole content of the zip-archive, meaning that the AutoScript folder was on the root level of the USB flash drive, haven't you?

Yes, on the root of the level there is only 1 folder named AutoScript with the files in that folder. I also tried a different thumb drive just to sure but no apparent response also on this second thumb drive.

• 1 month later...

Using directions from p. 169 I was able to work with the configurations described by all the great contributions here (thanks to you all!) to make a Sony BDP-S590 extract 5.1 and stereo tracks to DSF and ISO files. About 4 or 5 years back I'd followed ted_b's SACD Backup directions for my OPPO 103 and shared that with some audiophile friends who also had success.  Then about a month ago one of those friends had gotten rid of his OPPO 105 and was at a loss for how to continue to backup his still growing SACD collection.

So I got back online to find out a less costly used player and found the S590. I'd used the Sony 390 in the past and liked what it did for the price just playing SACD and video etc. The 590 is a nice player for the eBay price and I got it working for SACD backup with some reading here and trials with the unit I had. Again thanks everyone.

But there were some problems with communicating how it worked to my friend who wasn't up to speed on some of the gotchas. I'll try to be brief here but in order to avoid some of the more tricky aspects of my tests with server awake and server sleep modes where either the BDP had to be shut off at times, or the USB stick removed at times, or the user to interact with ISO2DSD_GUI within 50 seconds, I tried different script variations and finally arrived at this simple change to make it much simpler to use and less likely to fail. So far this change has worked many times for both myself and friend G. on the East Coast. So I think it's consistent and reliable and just wanted to just post it here in case anyone else wants to try it to help simplify their process too:

- I downloaded Dick Darlington's SACD_Autorip_A1.zip from his Dropbox link to use with the Sony S590

- I created the USB thumb drive with FAT32 and MBR using a free util by AOEMI (for Windows at least, not sure about Mac)

- Copied the script files to the \Autoscript folder on the USB for the Sony

- Installed the latest copy of ISO2DSD from Sonore on my PC and used the unzipped app files in a single child folder under the root (usually \ISO2DSD on a large USB drive attached or NAS drive so I don't have to move any files later)

- After trial and error I modified a single file in the script files on the USB \Autoscript. I only changed autorip.sh to contain just a single line which sleeps indefinitely.  The original shell script has 3 lines with the 50 second timer on sleep as the first line. This was problematic for me in terms of simplifying the use for my friend, so I found that I could just ignore the whole autorip.sh by causing it to simply sleep with no timer.

So what was originally this in autorip.sh:

sleep 50
    cd /mnt/sd*/AutoScript
    ./sacd_extract* -I

became this in my setup:

sleep

With that setup, I've found that I can simply turn on the BDP in server awake mode, insert the USB, insert an SACD, go to the Music Setup screen and toggle the SACD Channel Mode to its other option to give control to the USB, then start ISO2DSD_GUI in Server Mode with the right IP address for the Sony and DSF or ISO output and use "Execute" to extract either Stereo (Dual) or Multi or both (Dual for ISO).

I just wanted to share this approach with everyone here as it's worked for me and G. during many different backup operations in our different locations on both Mac and Windows. I think it should work for anyone. 

There have been only 2 things that have caused failure so far. One is the known mishap of not changing the Music Settings Super Audio CD Playback Channel mode on the Sony after inserting a new SACD which crashes the Sony focing an AC unplug/restart. The other problem for me is having the Sony timeout if no remote buttons are pressed for 30+ minutes which can then cause my unit to shut off in the middle of a backup. I'm using the latest firmware on the Sony support page: M12.R.0510. If the BDP shuts off I just have to turn it on and start things over for the same SACD. I read online that some Sony's can't disable that timeout. If I use the remote to click an arrow anytime during a backup I can keep it awake that way.

Maybe others have written about this, if so sorry to waste everyone's time here, but I didn't find a solution of this kind in my searches online so wanted to share it just in case. Thanks again for all the great help here and software with scripts and instructions to run on the different BDPs.

I haven't been actively checking this forum thread for 9 months.

I would be very grateful if someone can please save me the trouble of ploughing through all the posts over that period and tell me where to find the latest compilation of SACDExtractGUI and the latest version of sacd_extract.exe.

The SACDExtractGUI dialogue box makes a reference to https://github.com/setmind/SACDExtractGUI.git, but this requires compilation skills.

I've now found a source at https://www.videohelp.com/software/sacd-extract, which provides download links for both a compiled version of SACDExtractGUI v0.1-7-g135cbd5d and a copy of a compatible version of sacd_extract.exe.

Problem solved.

EDIT:  Since writing the above, I have now found that compiled code is indeed available from that GitHub link. It's reached via the Releases section in the right hand sidebar. You can tell I'm not familiar with GitHub...

OK, I apologize in advance but I am stuck getting this to work on my OPPO 105 and Win 10 system network.

I downloaded the files and followed the instructions using SONORE on this document.

Ripping SACD using Sonore

It took me awhile to be able to get the JAR file with the Sonore app open but finally got that going using a program called JAR Executer.

I have the USB stick in the OPPO with the Autoscript Folder and the three files in it.

Loaded the SACD.

I put the network address for the OPPO into the Server Input screen in SONORE.

192.168.1.101  (I removed the 2002 at the end of the address, and then put it back. Neither way works).

I set it for DUAL and SONY DSF.

I hit EXECUTE and get nothing.

Tried both wireless and hard wired.

The OPPO is working on my network as I use J River to play files on it.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Lkdog said:

OK, I apologize in advance but I am stuck getting this to work on my OPPO 105 and Win 10 system network.

I downloaded the files and followed the instructions using SONORE on this document.

Ripping SACD using Sonore

It took me awhile to be able to get the JAR file with the Sonore app open but finally got that going using a program called JAR Executer.

I have the USB stick in the OPPO with the Autoscript Folder and the three files in it.

Loaded the SACD.

192.168.1.101  (I removed the 2002 at the end of the address, and then put it back. Neither way works).

I set it for DUAL and SONY DSF.

I hit EXECUTE and get nothing.

Tried both wireless and hard wired.

The OPPO is working on my network as I use J River to play files on it.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks.

Do the 3 files in your Autoscript folder have exactly the same names as shown in the fourth bullet point on my instructions? It's important that only one of them has a file extension. When you powered up the Oppo 105 with the USB stick plugged in did the drawer open automatically after a few seconds?

4 hours ago, haggis999 said:

Do the 3 files in your Autoscript folder have exactly the same names as shown in the fourth bullet point on my instructions? It's important that only one of them has a file extension. When you powered up the Oppo 105 with the USB stick plugged in did the drawer open automatically after a few seconds?

Thank you for your time. Things seemed to be going fine until I tried to open the JAR file to open the SONORE application. Finally got that going.

SONORE application just doesn't talk to the OPPO. Everything looks like it should in the SONORE application.

The files are exactly as your instructions require:

AutoScript
AutoScript.TSS
sacd_extract

They are in the folder labeled AutoScript. Nothing else on the USB stick.

When I power up the OPPO with the USB stick plugged in the drawer opens halfway and shuts quickly.

The OPPO says USB IN.

I reopen the drawer and put in an SACD and it loads normally.

I have turned off Auto play and Auto resume.

No luck when I hit EXECUTE in SONORE. 😞

8 minutes ago, Lkdog said:

Thank you for your time. Things seemed to be going fine until I tried to open the JAR file to open the SONORE application. Finally got that going.

SONORE application just doesn't talk to the OPPO. Everything looks like it should in the SONORE application.

The files are exactly as your instructions require:

AutoScript
AutoScript.TSS
sacd_extract

They are in the folder labeled AutoScript. Nothing else on the USB stick.

When I power up the OPPO with the USB stick plugged in the drawer opens halfway and shuts quickly.

The OPPO says USB IN.

I reopen the drawer and put in an SACD and it loads normally.

I have turned off Auto play and Auto resume.

No luck when I hit EXECUTE in SONORE. 😞

If you open a cmd prompt in Windows and enter Ping 192.168.1.101, do you get a response from your Oppo?

8 hours ago, Lkdog said:

The Port is always :2002, put it back and leave it that way (no exceptions).

I'm not sure where you got a script that half opens and then quickly closes the disc tray, but I'd ditch it completely if I were you and use this one instead, it is known to work with the server method and Oppo based players.

After a bunch of failed attempts, you should power cycle the Oppo (with the flash drive removed), and after replacing the AC cord, allow it to complete its initial boot sequence before reinserting the flash drive.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

15 minutes ago, Lkdog said:

When I power up the OPPO with the USB stick plugged in

This is not a requirement and I'd suggest do not do it that way, instead let the unit complete its initial boot sequence, and when the LED display settles, then insert the USB flash drive.

It should work either way, however to say that powering up the player with the flash drive already installed is a requirement of some sort is incorrect, it is not.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

22 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

The Port is always :2002, put it back and leave it that way (no exceptions).

I'm not sure where you got a script that half opens and then quickly closes the disc tray, but I'd ditch it completely if I were you and use this one instead, it is known to work with the server method and Oppo based players.

After a bunch of failed attempts, you should power cycle the Oppo (with the flash drive removed), and after replacing the AC cord, allow it to complete its initial boot sequence before reinserting the flash drive.

Mikey-

I tried the files you linked to. They looked the same as the ones I was using, but was certainly willing to give that a try.

Also powered cycled and then inserted the USB stick.

The drawer still opened and shut quickly for some reason.

I then loaded the AutoScript folder onto a different USB stick an plugged that in.

The drawer opened normally then. I inserted the SACD and it loaded normally.

SONORE still does not initiate the rip though.

14 minutes ago, Lkdog said:

I then loaded the AutoScript folder onto a different USB stick an plugged that in.

The drawer opened normally then. I inserted the SACD and it loaded normally.

SONORE still does not initiate the rip though.

Now that you have the disc tray acting normally, power cycle again, clean the slate, and give it another try. Don't hurry to press Execute, give it a couple of seconds after the tray is closed.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

You left the Sonore folder completely intact per the instructions? No moving things, deleting anything, change nothing there, leave it exactly as downloaded.

Yep. Reinstalled it.

The 2002 at the end of IP address is there.

12 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Now that you have the disc tray acting normally, power cycle again, clean the slate, and give it another try. Don't hurry to press Execute, give it a couple of seconds after the tray is closed.

Ok, went through that again carefully.

Disc opened normally.

SACD loaded fine.

Waited to hit EXECUTE.

No luck.

As I mentioned earlier I had a helluva time getting the iso2dsd_gui.jar file to open to get to the SONORE application.

I downloaded JAVA, and tried everything I could find.

I finally got it to open with a program called Jar Executor.

JAR Executor

Is there some sort of permission in the file Properties?

13 minutes ago, Lkdog said:

As I mentioned earlier I had a helluva time getting the iso2dsd_gui.jar file to open to get to the SONORE application.

I downloaded JAVA, and tried everything I could find.

I finally got it to open with a program called Jar Executor.

JAR Executor

Is there some sort of permission in the file Properties?

It's a dumb Windows thing with regard to how .jar files are handled, it used to be rare but seems more prevalent now with Windows 10.

You should have been able to just right-click the .jar and choose Open with -> Java, with no need for a 3rd party program. It is a file association issue, nothing specific to this software, if you Google .jar file association Windows you'll see it.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

42 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

It's a dumb Windows thing with regard to how .jar files are handled, it used to be rare but seems more prevalent now with Windows 10.

You should have been able to just right-click the .jar and choose Open with -> Java, with no need for a 3rd party program. It is a file association issue, nothing specific to this software, if you Google .jar file association Windows you'll see it.

Yeah- it would not open with JAVA.

The JAR Executor program got it open SONORE.

Just can't get it to talk to the OPPO now.

Ok, minor update.

I uninstalled JAVA and the JAR Executor program and started over.

Installed both 32 and 64 bit version of JAVA.

SONORE opened right up with JAVA.

Put in the network address.

Pinged it from Command prompt. All good.

Rebooted the OPPO. Everything looked fine.

Drawer opened up, SACD loaded.

Tried to Execute from SONORE.  No luck again.......