Jump to content
ted_b

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

The solution was to use a different USB thumb drive. We know that PNY 512MB drives work. Now. 

 

No no no NO ... emphatically NO! 

The brand of the USB drive has nothing to do with it.

 

The solution was was to use a *properly formatted* USB drive. The significance of this regularly overlooked requirement cannot be understated. 

 

10 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

 to try a different, freshly formatted drive. A name brand drive wouldn't hurt...

 

An improperly formatted drive will NOT work no matter how fresh it may be. If it’s done wrong every time; it will fail every time. 

 

12 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

I guess we can this to the growing database of USB drive known issues or incompatibilities. 

 

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that inattention to the basic requirements for  AutoScript USB drive preparation will often result in ripping failure and an unfortunate waste of many people’s time.

 

There is zero evidence to support the oft stated claim that certain brands of USB drives are incompatible. None. Zip. Zero. 

 

And finally, if you can’t get Telnet working on your Pioneer 160, the odds that you are not doing something wrong are astronomical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

 

No no no NO ... emphatically NO! 

The brand of the USB drive has nothing to do with it.

 

The solution was was to use a *properly formatted* USB drive. The significance of this regularly overlooked requirement cannot be understated. 

 

 

An improperly formatted drive will NOT work no matter how fresh it may be. If it’s done wrong every time; it will fail every time. 

 

 

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that inattention to the basic requirements for  AutoScript USB drive preparation will often result in ripping failure and an unfortunate waste of many people’s time.

 

There is zero evidence to support the oft stated claim that certain brands of USB drives are incompatible. None. Zip. Zero. 

 

And finally, if you can’t get Telnet working on your Pioneer 160, the odds that you are not doing something wrong are astronomical. 

 

I don't know what to tell you. I have first hand experience that two different drives, identically formatted with the same exact set of files copied into the same exact folder behaved differently. I reformatted the first drive twice with no success using the exact same Windows GUI interface with a 32 bit File Allocation Table and Quick Format (which only rewrites the allocation table and doesn't reset all of the bytes on the drive) disabled. I can't speak to what anyone else may have done. 

 

BTW telnet still yields connection refused. Telnet and putty are generally simple executables with execute a simple tcp command to establish a connection to a telnet service or daemon running on the target host. What suggestion do you have to resolve this (mute point, but I'm still interested in solving this). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, salk81 said:

Will you ship overseas?

yes. I'd probably use USPS though as other options are likely to be expensive. What country?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

 

I don't know what to tell you. I have first hand experience that two different drives, identically formatted with the same exact set of files copied into the same exact folder behaved differently. I reformatted the first drive twice with no success using the exact same Windows GUI interface with a 32 bit File Allocation Table and Quick Format (which only rewrites the allocation table and doesn't reset all of the bytes on the drive) disabled. I can't speak to what anyone else may have done. 

 

BTW telnet still yields connection refused. Telnet and putty are generally simple executables with execute a simple tcp command to establish a connection to a telnet service or daemon running on the target host. What suggestion do you have to resolve this (mute point, but I'm still interested in solving this). 

Something else I just noticed: The drive which didn't work stayed powered (led in-use indicator stayed lit for a few minutes) up even after I turned off the player. The PNY drive doesn't do that. Not sure what this means either. I am going to try a few more drives - I have a ton of them here - and report back; likely Sunday or Monday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

yes. I'd probably use USPS though as other options are likely to be expensive. What country?

With USPS international the correct question is "what century?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hyendaudio said:

BTW telnet still yields connection refused. Telnet and putty are generally simple executables with execute a simple tcp command to establish a connection to a telnet service or daemon running on the target host. What suggestion do you have to resolve this (mute point, but I'm still interested in solving this). 

 

I guess a lot of errors troubles would be avoided if we just had an USB drive image with the right filesystem and with all the files and scripts in place instead of letting everyone that comes here create the drive from scratch following instructions, formating drives and copying files and folders. As many here aren't computer experts as much as SACD listeners the one step of restoring a USB drive image would offer a process as error free and simple as possible. Of course scripts would still need to be edited but still a whole lot easier than making it all from zero.

 

I might be wrong, but I bet your problem with telnet has something to do with folder/file placement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, W49n3r said:

 

I guess a lot of errors troubles would be avoided if we just had an USB drive image with the right filesystem and with all the files and scripts in place instead of letting everyone that comes here create the drive from scratch following instructions, formating drives and copying files and folders. As many here aren't computer experts as much as SACD listeners the one step of restoring a USB drive image would offer a process as error free and simple as possible. Of course scripts would still need to be edited but still a whole lot easier than making it all from zero.

 

I might be wrong, but I bet your problem with telnet has something to do with folder/file placement.

 

Shouldn't be that hard to build a script which installs an image onto a USB drive. My scripting days are long ago and far away I'm afraid or I'd volunteer to do it.

 

Both "sticks" have but 1 auto script folder with the requisite files copied over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 11:14 AM, Knur said:

@mindsetYou mentionned that you have a way to extract the kernel module from the sacd_extract binary, may you enlighten me ?

 

Open the sacd_extract binary with a binary editor, and replace this 

insmod %s minor=201

with

cp  %s /3rd_data/

, and executethe modified  sacd_extract.  Then a file whose name starting with "tmp" will be created under 3rd_data.  That is the kernel module

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 9:52 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

For this new method for the S790 and S5200 to work, both the sacd_extract program and the libiconv library have to be in the same folder.  That folder can either be root or /mnt/3rd_data, but you have to chose one or the other and your scripts have to specify the correct folder.  @mindset had both in /mnt/3rd_data, so that's why his script uses it.  But you, using the stock script had sacd_extract copied to root, so mindset's script referencing libiconv in 3rd data would not work because that's a different directory than root and both have to be in the same directory.

 

Is that correct, @mindset?

 

Well, the AutoScript I posted copies both sacd_extract and libiconv.so.2 to the same directory, but they don't necessarily have to be in the same directory.  What is important is libiconv.so.2 resides in the directory specified by LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the AutoScript.

 

For the server method with BDP-S6200, it is important that the USB stick is inserted after the disc is inserted and the player is put in sleep (of course with quick start mode enabled).  After AutoScript is loaded from the USB stick, it can be removed and discs can be sequentially processed as long as the player is put in sleep.  Note that sacd_extract is the one for Oppo (md5sum = 14b531b622c92dfe159cf36cff954e5a).  AutoScript.TSS is not needed.  I don't have it in my AutoScript directory.

 

By the way, BDP-S6500 and BDP-S6700 carry kernel 3.10.26.  This is a real challenge.

Linux sony-player 3.10.26 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 3 13:25:52 JST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, mindset said:

, and executethe modified  sacd_extract.  Then a file whose name starting with "tmp" will be created under 3rd_data.  That is the kernel module

Correction: tmp -> file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mindset said:

For the server method with BDP-S6200, it is important that the USB stick is inserted after the disc is inserted and the player is put in sleep (of course with quick start mode enabled)

This seems to say that one should insert the USB stick after the player is put to sleep (in quick start mode).

 

I thought that once it was in sleep mode, the player could not access the USB ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

This seems to say that one should insert the USB stick after the player is put to sleep (in quick start mode).

 

I thought that once it was in sleep mode, the player could not access the USB ports.

Correct.  For BDP-S6200, I see that sacd_extract needs to start "after" the player is put to sleep. USB stick is accessible during sleep on this player (which was not the case for older players). 

 

sacd_extract won't start properly if I insert the USB stick before the player is put to sleep.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To avoid the extra libiconv.so.2 business for BDP-S6200 (and probably BDP-S790), I tried kernel module transplantation from sacd_extract for Oppo to sacd_extract_160.  It seems to work fine.  The following script for Linux extracts the kernel module for ARMv7 from sacd_extract and overwrite the one for ARMv6 in sacd_extract_160 with the extracted kernel module.  The new binary (sacd_extract_6200) can be used in the same way as sacd_extract_160 on BDP-S6200 (and possibly BDP-S790).  As I mentioned earlier, sacd_extract_6200 has to be launched in sleep mode for the server method at least on BDP-S6200.  Note that arm-linux-gnueabi-strip has to be installed for this to work.  For Ubuntu, it's in this package: binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi

 

#!/bin/sh
dd if=sacd_extract of=sacd_read.ko bs=1 skip=192524 count=99505
arm-linux-gnueabi-strip -S -o sacd_read_strip.ko sacd_read.ko 
cp sacd_extract_160 sacd_extract_6200
cat sacd_read_strip.ko | dd of=sacd_extract_6200 bs=1 seek=192476 conv=notrunc

md5sum of the inputs:

sacd_extract:     14b531b622c92dfe159cf36cff954e5a
sacd_extract_160: 49107e9625e8cd27232e395787c46fe2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mindset said:

Note that arm-linux-gnueabi-strip has to be installed for this to work.  For Ubuntu, it's in this package: binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi

Could you explain more?  Where does one install this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

So this refers to using command line SACD extract on a Linux machine? (Your usual method.)

Yes, the script is intended to run on a Linux machine (not Blu-Ray players) to just to create a sacd_extract binary that works on BDP-S6200.

 

3 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

One would also need to come up with methods for people who will be using Windows or Mac with SACD extract command line  or ISO2DSD. 

Cannot think of a way for Windows other than using WSL (windows subsystem for Linux).  No idea about Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Could you explain more?  Where does one install this?

Do this:

sudo apt install binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mindset said:

Yes, the script is intended to run on a Linux machine (not Blu-Ray players) to just to create a sacd_extract binary that works on BDP-S6200

Oh I see.

 

If you have a compiled binary that you are willing to share, perhaps someone here like @Dick Darlington can host it in a publicly accessible Dropbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, salk81 said:

Payment by PayPal and ship by USPS

OK. Please PM me your shipping details and I will send you a PayPal invoice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...