IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

2 hours ago, Waynefi said:

Which is the easiest player to use with a windows PC for the computer unwashed? When I had my Oppo I got that going pretty fast , what’s next, the Pioneer —80 ?

My Sony 590 was a breeze with the USB method. I don't see a need for the complicated server method. 

13 hours ago, Nevermore said:

My Sony 590 was a breeze with the USB method. I don't see a need for the complicated server method. 

I agree with Kal, especially with stereo + Mch classical albums that can exceed FAT32's 4 Gig limit on USB thumb drive.  When you have ripped thousands of such albums, as he and I have, you absolutely do not want to be piecing those ISO file fragments back together.

Besides, ISO2DSD is a piece of cake.  All it needs is the IP address, and you are good to go.

18 hours ago, Waynefi said:

Which is the easiest player to use with a windows PC for the computer unwashed? When I had my Oppo I got that going pretty fast , what’s next, the Pioneer —80 ?

Aside from another Oppo, for  <1/10th to cost, you can get a used Sony from eBay. (Got one for $27 including shipping.) I think it works pretty easily with Windows.

Here’s my distilled recipe for Win7 + Sony BDP-S390 -- server method puts the files right on the PC. Once it's all set up, there's only 2 steps -- put disc in player, and run ISO2DSD. ?

2 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Mch classical albums that can exceed FAT32's 4 Gig limit on USB thumb drive

However, for the Sonys you can format the USB thumb drive in NTFS, which has no 4 GB limit.

So no piecing together of .isos is required (as in the old PS3 ripping days).

It's great that we now have some many choices in models and methods.

If you're having problems with a particular method (for whatever reason) you could try another one, and then go back and try the first one after you get confirmation that at least one method works for you.

3 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

It's great that we now have some many choices in models and methods.

Yes!  1️⃣

Isn’t it awesome that we can now wax philosophically wrt to the myriad permutations of methods and hardware choices when a scant few years ago I was lamenting my lack of a venerable PS3? ?  

2 hours ago, Chiefbrodie said:

Thanks to all who chipped in over the last week or so to help me get started ripping my sacds, finally have lift off. 

Special thanks to Dick Darlington, Greynolds, [email protected], mccp, alandbush, BluRay444, and miksi. You all helped and advised in ways that made things easier to understand and troubleshoot. Big beer to all cheers. 

You're going to need a bigger NAS.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

22 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I agree with Kal, especially with stereo + Mch classical albums that can exceed FAT32's 4 Gig limit on USB thumb drive.  When you have ripped thousands of such albums, as he and I have, you absolutely do not want to be piecing those ISO file fragments back together.

Besides, ISO2DSD is a piece of cake.  All it needs is the IP address, and you are good to go.

I'm just going off of what I'm seeing posted here. My drive is formatted as NTFS, so no issues with 4GB limit.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Your post implies that rips generated by ISO2DSD are initially stored on the USB thumb drive containing the AutoScript files before being copied to the ISO2DSD folder on your computer (something I never previously considered).

Does this apply when you use ISO2DSD to rip SACDs to DSF files rather than ISO files? If so, what would you reckon should be the minimum capacity of the thumb drive?

10 hours ago, Triplefun said:

Cambridge Audio 752bd. The breakthrough was the realisation the USB stick with the AutoScript directory needed to be formatted with an MBR record (see page 103)

My Oppo 103 is definitely compatible with both GPT and MBR partition table drives and all three of the main Windows/MacOS file systems, i.e. FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS.  It is my understanding that the CA player is essentially an Oppo 105 on the inside with some key hardware upgrades.  If that's true I would expect it to be equivalent to the Oppo insofar as file system and partition scheme support.  Of course I don't *know* that to be the case.  Is it possible that your problem was due to a different aspect of the state of your USB drive that was resolved in the course of reinitializing it as an MBR drive?

For example it is not unusual to end up with a drive containing a hidden system partition of some sort having partition table ID 0 resulting in the visible partition that is apparently the first partition on the drive actually being the second.

19 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

My Oppo 103 is definitely compatible with both GPT and MBR partition table drives and all three of the main Windows/MacOS file systems, i.e. FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS.

I had the same problem as Triplefun with my USB drive and Oppo 103.  It stumped me for a couple hours.  The Oppo 103 can read both GPT and MBR partition styles, but the AutoScript didn't run when formatted as GPT (i.e., the drawer never opened automatically).  I was able to format it as MBR on a Mac using Disk Utility.  

10 hours ago, Triplefun said:

The breakthrough was the realisation the USB stick with the AutoScript directory needed to be formatted with an MBR record (see page 103). This can be achieved on Windows using Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/). 

The Rufus app you've share appears to have a lot of utility based on my quick look at the developer's home page, but the native Windows "Diskpart" command line utility is more than adequate for preparing a clean, single partition USB drive having whichever partition table scheme and file system desired depending on your preference and player compatibility needs.

Here is an example of how to use Diskpart to prepare an MBR partition drive with a single volume formatted with the exFAT file system.  Note that the "fs=exFAT" in the Format command can be changed to "fs=NTFS" or "fs=FAT32" if something other than exFAT is desired.

SUPER IMPORTANT NOTE/WARNING/DISCLAIMER/PSA:‼️

On *my* Windows VM, the test USB drive showed up as "Disk 1" whereas the system drive is "Disk 0".  The disk number of the target USB drive on a different computer is as likely as not to be a number other than 1.  Whatever disk you "select" via the Diskpart "select disk" command WILL BE COMPLETELY ERASED (practically speaking) by the subsequent Diskpart "Clean" command.

Bottom line: Don't be daft ?‍♂️? and follow this procedure using the wrong disk ID number!  (but if you do, NEVER admit to it! ???‍♂️ I will just make your bad situation worse. ?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.16299.15

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: WIN10GAME

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt

--------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---

Disk 0    Online           64 GB  1024 KB

Disk 1    Online           14 GB      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> create partition primary

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> format quick fs=exFAT

100 percent completed

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART> assign

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

DISKPART>

15 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

So basically I would bet money that your initial problem was due stemmed from the presence of a hidden partition and not the GPT partition scheme.

For crying out loud, Dick.  "was due stemmed from" ??  ??‍♂️

PSA:  Don't drop out of high school when you're 20.  Most people that haven't graduated by age 20 but persevere are within three years of success.

2 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

A moment ago a prepared a single volume, GPT partitioned USB drive with an exFAT file system and populated the root folder with an AutoScript folder containing my go to variant AutoScript.TSS script.....

So basically I would bet money that your initial problem was due stemmed from the presence of a hidden partition and not the GPT partition scheme.

I just tried again using Disk Utility on a Mac and AutoScript wouldn't run on my Oppo 103 when the USB drive was GUID.  I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff, but perhaps the problem is that when formatting GUID ExFAT,  I always get a child count of two.  When using MBR, I get a child count of one.

I'm sure you're right that I'm doing something wrong.  But, at least for me, the easy workaround is to just use MBR.

(Although I'd be interested if you know offhand what I'm doing incorrectly)

Is there any way to output ISO2DSD to a single .dsf file with cue? My Oppo doesn't do gapless and it doesn't seem to like .dff multichannel files which I can output using ISO2DSD.

If ISO2DSD doesn't do .dsf as one long file, can I convert the .dff file to .dsf using some other piece of software?

From my massive searching over the last couple of days, it doesn't look like I can simply output one long .dsf and .cue with the free utilities available.

3 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

For crying out loud, Dick.  "was due stemmed from" ??  ??‍♂️

PSA:  Don't drop out of high school when you're 20.  Most people that haven't graduated by age 20 but persevere are within three years of success.

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried different windows format types using the windows format tool with no success. I also used HDD Guru to process a low level format on the device again with no success. The USB stick AutoScript directory was visible on the 752db but would not execute. Adding the MBR record made all the difference. This may be an issue with the Windows format tool and or the 752bd. Note Rufus is free and a lot easier to use than DiskPart.

40 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried different windows format types using the windows format tool with no success. I also used HDD Guru to process a low level format on the device again with no success. The USB stick AutoScript directory was visible on the 752db but would not execute. Adding the MBR record made all the difference. This may be an issue with the Windows format tool and or the 752bd. Note Rufus is free and a lot easier to use than DiskPart.

Yes I think I might have a vague recollection that the Windows GUI method of initializing a GPT disk results in some sort of hidden first partition. I think that’s the case for the Mac as well but it’s been a while. Whether or not there’s a GUI way around that default behavior I don’t recall ATM. I’m think there may not be. At least in Windows’ case. 

As as for the Rufus lead, it looks pretty useful and chances are I’ll want to snag that for myself for general use. Not sure if I would agree with your assessment of relative difficulty between it and native Windows in the context of this particular application. I figure that depends on the end user and how command line averse they are. My Diskpart post was only intended to make clear that although a third party utility is an option, it isn’t required. There are a lot of people leveraging this forum and it's likely that some are of the mindset that shy away of unnecessary freeware for security reasons given the choice. 

35 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

Yes I think I might have a vague recollection that the Windows GUI method of initializing a GPT disk results in some sort of hidden first partition. I think that’s the case for the Mac as well but it’s been a while. Whether or not there’s a GUI way around that default behavior I don’t recall ATM. I’m think there may not be. At least in Windows’ case. 

As as for the Rufus lead, it looks pretty useful and chances are I’ll want to snag that for myself for general use. Not sure if I would agree with your assessment of relative difficulty between it and native Windows in the context of this particular application. I figure that depends on the end user and how command line averse they are. My Diskpart post was only intended to make clear that although a third party utility is an option, it isn’t required. There are a lot of people leveraging this forum and it's likely that some are of the mindset that shy away of unnecessary freeware for security reasons given the choice. 

RUFUS is proven software and arguably the goto option for formatting bootable USB devices on Windows. For example see this Techrepublic recommendation  https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-use-rufus-to-create-a-bootable-usb-drive-to-install-almost-any-os/ 

I also reformatted a usb disk using the Windows standard format utility and then checked with DiskPart the resulting partitions. There is only ONE.

3 hours ago, himey said:

Is there any way to output ISO2DSD to a single .dsf file with cue? My Oppo doesn't do gapless and it doesn't seem to like .dff multichannel files which I can output using ISO2DSD.

If ISO2DSD doesn't do .dsf as one long file, can I convert the .dff file to .dsf using some other piece of software?

From my massive searching over the last couple of days, it doesn't look like I can simply output one long .dsf and .cue with the free utilities available.

NVM...I figured it out. Sorry to go off topic.