IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 8/8/2018 at 5:42 AM, Chiefbrodie said:

I will change the directory in the command prompt window (didn't know how to do this) until a recent reply then will try again

To expand on @alandbush's post a bit, it should be noted that if you want to change to a directory that's on a different drive, you have to switch the command prompt over to that drive first and then use the CD command to switch directories - pay attention to the prompt you get as you go.

For example, if you start at C:\Users and want to get to D:\Projects to run a command, the command prompt will initially look like:

C:\Users>

The first step is to simply type "D:" and hit enter (note how the prompt changes to "D:\>" after you do this):

C:\Users>D:
D:\>

Next, change to the folder you want to get to with the CD command by typing "CD Projects" (note how the prompt now changes to "D:\Projects\>" after you do this):

D:\>CD Projects
D:\Projects\>

Once you're in the correct folder where sacd_extract is located, you should be able to run it directly.  I suspect the "S.\" part of your post that I was responding to was another typo (or possibly auto correct) and should have been "S:\" (note the colon character rather than the period) which would make a lot more sense.

If you're posting on something like an iPad or iPhone that has auto correct, pay very close attention to things like this when posting because these sorts of typos make it really hard to figure out what you're doing incorrectly.  The screen shots you included of the actual command window help a lot.

[I thought I had posted the above yesterday, but apparently forgot to click the submit button.  Given the ongoing confusion, I think this may still be useful]

From further reading, it sounds like you may have created a folder named "S" on your C drive.  If that's the case, when you initially open a command prompt you will most likely already be in a folder on the C drive (based on the pictures you posted, you're starting in "C:\Users\Daniel").  So to switch to the folder named "S" and assuming it isn't nested under another folder, simply issue the command "CD \S" at the prompt:

C:\Users\Daniel>CD \S
C:\S>

At that point, if sacd_extract is in that folder, you should be able to proceed with executing the sacd_extract command.

22 minutes ago, greynolds said:

To expand on @alandbush's post a bit, it should be noted that if you want to change to a directory that's on a different drive, you have to switch the command prompt over to that drive first and then use the CD command to switch directories - pay attention to the prompt you get as you go.

For example, if you start at C:\Users and want to get to D:\Projects to run a command, the command prompt will initially look like:

C:\Users>

The first step is to simply type "D:" and hit enter (note how the prompt changes to "D:\>" after you do this):

C:\Users>D:
D:\>

Next, change to the folder you want to get to with the CD command by typing "CD Projects" (note how the prompt now changes to "D:\Projects\>" after you do this):

D:\>CD Projects
D:\Projects\>

Once you're in the correct folder where sacd_extract is located, you should be able to run it directly.  I suspect the "S.\" part of your post that I was responding to was another typo (or possibly auto correct) and should have been "S:\" (note the colon character rather than the period) which would make a lot more sense.

If you're posting on something like an iPad or iPhone that has auto correct, pay very close attention to things like this when posting because these sorts of typos make it really hard to figure out what you're doing incorrectly.  The screen shots you included of the actual command window help a lot.

[I thought I had posted the above yesterday, but apparently forgot to click the submit button.  Given the ongoing confusion, I think this may still be useful]

From further reading, it sounds like you may have created a folder named "S" on your C drive.  If that's the case, when you initially open a command prompt you will most likely already be in a folder on the C drive (based on the pictures you posted, you're starting in "C:\Users\Daniel").  So to switch to the folder named "S" and assuming it isn't nested under another folder, simply issue the command "CD \S" at the prompt:

C:\Users\Daniel>CD \S
C:\S>

At that point, if sacd_extract is in that folder, you should be able to proceed with executing the sacd_extract command.

Hey greynolds thank you also for a great response that actually makes sense I will equally give that a go to this evening to see if it helps and also get a better understanding of things. Looking back at what I typed (posting from an android phone) the  . \ after the S was actually the beginning of the sacd extract command that is in the instructions I printed out copied and pasted below.... 

e.g.: .\sacd_extract -i 192.342.1.217:2002

So assuming I get the directory to the S folder where in that path would the S go? Or how should it look. 

The more I read your post the more it makes sense very simple to follow thank you. 

1 minute ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Pretty good ripping speed across your network.

Are you using direct cable connection or Wi Fi?

This kind of set-up is smooth as silk when it is working, as seen here.

But when something doesn't work it is hard to troubleshoot . . . .

I use wirless network connect all device (blu-ray player & laptop)

6 hours ago, Chiefbrodie said:

e.g.: .\sacd_extract -i 192.342.1.217:2002

@Chiefbrodie, once you have navigated to your S folder, using the commands that have been provided in unambiguous detail by @greynolds (above) there is no need to include the ".\" portion of your command above.  It would not be incorrect per se; but it only says "look for the file in the place I'm already at", which is what would happen anyway.  OTOH it is just too more characters of an opportunity to introduce a typo or a space that doesn't belong or whatever.

So assuming I get the directory to the S folder where in that path would the S go? Or how should it look. 

The more I read your post the more it makes sense very simple to follow thank you. 

Assuming you get the directory to the S folder, then what S are you referring to?  Do you mean the S that will at that point appear as a portion of the command prompt?  For example:

C:\S>. (in the case where your S folder is at the root level of your C drive)

or alternatively

C:\Users\Daniel\S> (in the case where your S folder is a subfolder of your home folder)

In the former case it would look exactly like @greynolds presented to you a few posts back.  In the latter case it would look like the second example above.

OK since I'm on a major learning curve here can you give details on your procedure using iso2dsd as I have tried that method also and equally failed so it can't harm to have various options. Many thanks. 

@Chiefbrodie, to reiterate my observation of a few days ago:  your fundamental overarching problem is that you are working the problem from the wrong end.  No matter how accomplished you become at navigating Windows folders at the command prompt or typing in sacd_extract commands or learning how to create a command script to automate that, you will never EVER rip an SACD using the server method if the remote, i.e. player side, sacd_extract Linux program is not running and listing on port 2002.  Will not happen.

One of the pics you posted the other day was of the Sonore ISO2DSD GUI showing fields that appeared to be correctly populated.  That tells me a few things, mostly good but not exclusively so:

1.  You already know how to navigate to your S folder (or at least wherever your DSD2ISO GUI program is located)

2. You already know how to launch the GUI and fill in the correct information and select the options you desire.

and even more better ...

3. It appears that the ISO2DSD program is able to find and launch the sacd_extract.exe program. Presumably because they are colocated as they would need to be on the Mac.  Caveat: I have never used it on Windows and that part of the implementation may be different.

So basically, you already know how to use ISO2DSD, which is nothing more than a fancy GUI that launches sacd_extract with all the correct command line options done for you. Voila!  Okay so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest you might be much happier using the GUI than the more intimidating command line approach.

Moving on to the bad part ...

4. Based on the error message you see in the bottom half of your ISO2DSD window, sacd_extract.exe, once launched by the GUI after you click on the Execute button, is unable to "talk to" the remote sacd_extract server running on your player.

Why would this be?  No telling.  But let's say you're trying to talk to Elvis whom you believe to be in the next room but he's not answering.  Why isn't he answering?  There are a few plausible explanations.

A) He might not be listing

B) He might not actually be in the next room (or even in the building)

C) He might be comatose.  But let's just call that a variation of (A)

D) He might be jerking your chain and he'll eventually tire of that game and respond if you repeatedly shout "HEY ELVIS" for long enough.

Well, reasonable people often disagree on whether or not Elvis is in the building, but most people would agree that fixating on trying to solve the problem as if (D) were the issue is unlikely to change the outcome.

Circling back to SACD ripping: 

You can go on for days, weeks or months asking people to provide more and more detailed instructions on how to type things on your computer that assume you have everything squared away on the player side.  But if you don't have everything full green check marked on the player end, and if you are unwilling to follow the player side troubleshooting techniques and procedures that have been present ad nauseam throughout this forum, e.g. Telnet, then it's all just whistling in the dark.

Morning to all who are helping me so last night I did indeed mange to change the directory to folder S and typed the extract command... Still failing to connect I tried the command starting . \sacd.... No luck tried \sacd..... No luck so just tried sacd.... Still no luck as shown in the screen shot below in the first 2 images. 

I then tried the ISO2DSD method and same message.. 3rd image. Next I looked at the player end of the problem as Dick suggested when I navigate to the players menu I see the USB1 when I open it it shows the autoscript file but this is where I think the problem may lie when I try to open it it shows empty as if the player can't see what's in the autoscript folder the auto script folder shows up in any of the media option ie photos, music videos etc but once I try to open it it's blank so below are images of the bluray menu screen and also when I try to open it plus photo of proof of what on the USB stick when I double checked it within the pc. 4th images onwards. I'm going to have a few days break after today family time and birthday weekend follows wooo, any thoughts or suggestions welcome. Once again thank you all for your time and input hope to get it ripping soon. Wish I could buy you all a beer for your appreciated time. 

20180809_220412.jpg

20180809_221920.jpg

20180809_223955.jpg

20180809_223226.jpg

20180809_223309.jpg

20180809_223312.jpg

20180809_223329.jpg

20180809_223605.jpg

20180809_223619.jpg

Which is the easiest player to use with a windows PC for the computer unwashed? When I had my Oppo I got that going pretty fast , what’s next, the Pioneer —80 ?

NAD M33, SGC SonicTransporter I5 GEN 3, w/ 2GB SSD drive as the storage and ROON CORE, with SGC CD Ripper,  Fiber Optic converter system, ROON.  Revel Performa 3 F208 Speakers, ROON, Grover Huffman EX speaker cables, and Bass Jumpers,  WD EX2 Red Drive NAS, Netgear Nighthawk Router, all streaming hardwired Cat6/7, no WiFi. Sony Blu-Ray for SACD backup, PS Audio Dectec to a dedicated 20 amp circuit, Custom Speaker covers, PS Audio Power, Signal Power .