IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Software: Realtime Debian 11-64, JRMC28-64, Custom VST3-64, CamillaDSP-64 (2x8 channel 64-bit FIR multi-pass convolution), RePhase, REW, Custom Driver Level DRC-FIR upgrades, JRMC CloudPlay, Pandora, Spotify, dBPowerAmp Reference,

2 Channel: A-Tech Fabrication i7-3770K/NVMe/Passive Cooling-No Moving Parts->OKTO DAC8 PRO->QuadAmping - MagTech/Mark Levinson #336/IcePower ASP1000->Magnepan 20.1's, NEO8's & OB/Dipole Subs

Home Theater: Anthem Statement D2V->W4S 7x1000->Magnepan 3.6's/CC3/MC2's+Martin Logan Descent I Subs

Office: Core-i7 3770S/SSD->Xonar Essence STX->W4S µDAC->W4S STI-1000->Magnepan Mini-Maggies

Garage: Dell Laptop->W4S uDAC->AdCom Amp->B&W Rock Solid

4 hours ago, captainbrent said:

I guess this is too late to be an April fools joke! Wow, what a major bummer!!!

For sure.  I've been involved in their beta testing program since the start of BDP-9x development.  I can't share much in the way of details (NDA's still apply), but what an AMAZING company to work with.  When I heard the news last evening shortly before it was posted publicly, it was like I had just lost a favorite family member.

7 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

I'd guess thats now even ever more extremely unlikely to change, given recent developments, seems far fetched that SACD ripping will ever be blocked via firmware on the OPPO BDP-10x players.

Agreed.  Even before the announcement the other day I felt that it was extremely unlikely that a future firmware update for the BDP-10x players would block this capability.

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

I have got a Sony BDP-BX59 and it works fine for ripping SACD by using @Phthalocyanine's guide for SONY BDP-S590. However, the sound of one channel (SR) of a 5.1 channel SACD is missing when playing back the iso. Anyone has similar experience?

Check the channel distribution in your playback setup.  If you are ripping 5.0 and your system expects 5.1/6.0, there may be a mismatch.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

55 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

But this SACD is 5.1

Capture+_2018-04-06-09-30-13.png

How are you playing the ISO?  If you are using a 7.1 system, the channels may not be mapped correctly.  This speculation comes from my experience with playing a wide variety of recorded channel formats and their interaction with output channel mapping is, sometimes, strange.

Kal Rubinson

@JuanDG

Congratulations on your success!

Thanks for sharing your experiences about the firmware.

This raises the issue that very early firmware might be an issue.

We think that firmware M12.R.0430 through the most recent will work.

For the recent crop of people using the Sony - naa3e5 , kab, Rightsaidfred, [email protected], & whoever else, please post your firmware version so we can gather more information of this issue.

13 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I use foobar2000 to play the iso file. The Win 10 PC connects to a Yamaha AV amp by a HDMI cable. Is there any trick to play a 5.1 channel iso? Same problem occurs in the dsf files converted by sonore.

I am not familiar with foobar2000.  Do you have to (or can you) specify the output channel format?  I know that with JRiver I need to set the output format to 5.1 (rather than same as input) in order to have proper playback on my 8channel DACs.

Kal Rubinson

Guest skepitcal

+1 on the Sony BDP-S590 , working as advertised for me too. Many thx to @Phthalocyanine @Dick Darlington for scoping/sweating this out!

@ted_b:

Apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere in the 117 pages of this thread, but any chance of posting or pointing to the specific code and/or patches for sacd_extract_160?  The original sacd-ripper code is configured with a psl1ght dependancy, which I'm assuming you got rid of when building your version?

The reason I ask is that sacd_extract_160 fails with discs authored using 2064 byte sectors instead of the usual 2048.  This is solved/fixed in foo_input_sacd (see sacd_disc_t::open and sacd_disc_t::read_blocks_raw) , and an outdated patch to backport the fix to sacd-ripper is (somewhat crudely) described here in issue 89. Of course it would be great if you still have an arm6 toolchain and are willing to patch and rebuild (and save me the headache of setting up a cross compiler myself).

Anyhow any pointers/background on rebuilding the non-ps3 Arm version of sacd_extract would be appreciated.