IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

9 hours ago, threehugga said:

I'm not debating, I'm commenting here and in the support area for sonore, that the data sonore ISO2DSD outputs is different by approximately 10kb in each file than the data created from sacd_extract. IF sonore ISO2DSD was "just a GUI" then the data output would be identical; it isnt. Sonore ISO2DSD modifies the output file, and nobody can say with any certainty what they do to it.

Since so many people are trying to push the narrative that its "just a GUI" which it demonstrably is not, I have to assume the worst; possibly a front company pushing malware in our data. The price you pay for "the sound having to be in concert with the music". Sounds nice but I have no clue what that means. All I can say for sure is sonore is definately not just a GUI of sacd_extract and the files it creates are not identical and nobody can argue with that. If you want what everyone claims sonore is creating, you MUST not use ISO2DSD because its a sham. The only true platform that has been audited is the sacd_extract software. If you use sonore you are accepting that all of its files are tampered with.

It may be time to get a bit analytical here.  I am wondering if the parameters used with ISO2DSD  vs. sacd_extract are indeed identical as you use them.  Can you post the parameters and software release versions you are using for each?  Or, are you using them from the same directory, in which case the version of sacd_extract would be the same  as the one invoked by ISO2DSD?

We just want to try to help.  Like countless others, I have used both for years with no problems whatsoever.  There must be a logical reason why you are having an issue while others are not.  That it is the software itself seems highly doubtful.

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

PROCEDURE FOR ACCENTED CHARACTERS
If there are accented characters in the ISO name such as ö, ü, é, ñ, the PuTTY window might display "invalid argument" and ripping will not start. Here is a workaround:
• Re-paste the command ./sacd_extract_160 –I
• Add one space after –I and type two straight quotation marks
• Copy or type the ISO (album) name directly in between the quotation marks
• Delete the accented characters and type non-accented characters into the ISO name
• Hit Enter to start the SACD ripping process

Wow that works.  Can you just avoid the whole thing by putting in your own file name from the get go, i.e.

./sacd_extract_160 -I "My file.iso"

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Can you just avoid the whole thing by putting in your own file name from the get go, i.e.

./sacd_extract_160 -I "My file.iso"

I don't see why not.  Most of the time the file name you get automatically is fine, so it would be an extra burden to have to enter it yourself.  But if you want to, the functionality is there.

@dtblair

@kennyb123

Could you please post the firmware version of your S-590s?

@dblair, could you post the firmware of your S-790 too?

13 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

It may be time to get a bit analytical here.  I am wondering if the parameters used with ISO2DSD  vs. sacd_extract are indeed identical as you use them.  Can you post the parameters and software release versions you are using for each?  Or, are you using them from the same directory, in which case the version of sacd_extract would be the same  as the one invoked by ISO2DSD?

Believe me, I wish I could say I have no problems but i get hard core artifacts, basically like a distortion static sound, choppy sounds where there is no data between the parts of the audio, or any random mix of data destruction, in about 1 in 150 songs! I am listening through all my music, as the purpose is to enjoy the audio, of course. What did I find in track 10 of one of the best albums ever, in the middle of this 9 minute song CCCCCCCCCCCCK sound.

Sonore has like 6 buttons. I was using the provided sacd_extract with sonore, but to be certain I redownloaded the sacd_extract 0.3.8 from the git, ran cmd FC file.1 file.2 and guess what, the sacd_extracts were the same. I am about to re-extract tons of material to see if the problem is persistant without iso2dsd, because until this point i have only used sonore and its been a disaster. sonore is output as stereo dsf from iso. I used to do batches but I realized the errors got even worse this way, I now just do 1 at a time iso. and still problems. If i run the iso more than once, the distortions are gone. its not in the iso.

I am sitting on two different albums that need to be reprocessed because the audio is wrecked. I have to listen to maybe 40-50 more hours of material to find out if I have any other artifacts in 1 second or more of any single track. SUCKS

4 hours ago, threehugga said:

What did I find in track 10 of one of the best albums ever, in the middle of this 9 minute song CCCCCCCCCCCCK sound.

What album is this?

I almost certainly have it.

Tell me the title and I,ll see if I can reproduce the fault.

21 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@kennyb123

Could you please post the firmware version of your S-590s?

M12.R.0497

510 is waiting to be applied

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

510 is waiting to be applied

I wouldn't upgrade unless you really need the Sony as an on-line media player (Netflix etc.) and it's really not that great for that.

As I mentioned previously somewhere, up through firmware M12.R.0430, the BDP-S590 will play SACD-R discs.  Downgrading is possible with the Sonys.  But I wouldn't advise someone to downgrade the firmware unless they were really desperate for that feature and were very confident of their abilities to follow directions to a tee.

13 hours ago, threehugga said:

Believe me, I wish I could say I have no problems but i get hard core artifacts, basically like a distortion static sound, choppy sounds where there is no data between the parts of the audio, or any random mix of data destruction, in about 1 in 150 songs! I am listening through all my music, as the purpose is to enjoy the audio, of course. What did I find in track 10 of one of the best albums ever, in the middle of this 9 minute song CCCCCCCCCCCCK sound.

Sonore has like 6 buttons. I was using the provided sacd_extract with sonore, but to be certain I redownloaded the sacd_extract 0.3.8 from the git, ran cmd FC file.1 file.2 and guess what, the sacd_extracts were the same. I am about to re-extract tons of material to see if the problem is persistant without iso2dsd, because until this point i have only used sonore and its been a disaster. sonore is output as stereo dsf from iso. I used to do batches but I realized the errors got even worse this way, I now just do 1 at a time iso. and still problems. If i run the iso more than once, the distortions are gone. its not in the iso.

I am sitting on two different albums that need to be reprocessed because the audio is wrecked. I have to listen to maybe 40-50 more hours of material to find out if I have any other artifacts in 1 second or more of any single track. SUCKS

I feel your pain.  However, neither I nor many others have had a similar experience with the current or prior versions of ISO2DSD.  I have been using it for years myself though several different versions.  It couldn't possibly have been something you did inadvertently, or could it?  Nah, much easier on the ego to just blame the software and bad mouth it.

But, it seems like possibly you have now fixed the problem.  We are exceedingly glad.

I wonder if the S-790 firmware can be set to the same as the S-590?

I have to admit I do not completely understand what the Sony firmware numbers mean.

But it appears that, of the 2012 model line, the S-390 and S-790 use different numbers, while the S-490 and S-590 share numbers

The S-390 uses M11.R

The S-490 and S-590 use M12.R

The S-790 uses M13.R

So dtblair the upshot is that the S-790 never used and cannot use M12.R firmware versions.

This makes sense, as the S-790 has significant hardware differences from the S-590.

And it may explain why the S-790 is apparently  "close but no cigar" when it comes to SACD ripping.

@kennyb123

Another reason for not upgrading it that it appears that your firmware M12.R.0497  is the last S-590 firmware to be Cinavia-free.

8 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@kennyb123

Another reason for not upgrading it that it appears that your firmware M12.R.0497  is the last S-590 firmware to be Cinavia-free.

I will hold off for sure.  Thanks for your insights.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Crew, thanks for all of the dialogue on using the Sony BDP-S590 for iso ripping.  TedB, I successfully used your guide in the past to use a PS3 for ripping and I must say that at this juncture without a uniform guide, I am lost as to what to do with the Sony that I just acquired.  Team, is someone now in a position to give us folks who can follow a recipe but not much more the step by step of what to do with a newly acquired BDP-S590?  I'm a PC user and like the idea of not being limited by the 4Gb with the PS3.

Happy Passover and Happy Easter to all.  Cheers.  JCR