IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 03/03/2018 at 9:51 PM, Dick Darlington said:

@mutant_matt, Were you attempting to telnet to the player, or just have the AutoScript start sacd_extract in server mode? 

I tried (very hard*) everything I could think of, to get either one or both working, but whatever I tried, the player never did start listening on any network port, so I was not able to connect to it.  It doesn't have the correct SOC/chipset, so I was not surprised, but I gave a a go anyway, as all I had to lose was time (I spent a whole day on it), and as it's a close model in the range to one that does work, I thought I might get lucky.

I did ask at the time, but didn't get a response, if anybody with a  CA752/Oppo103/5 was willing to do a full directory list of their player via telnet (to file), and send me the file, I might be able to poke into it a little further, but not surprisingly, I didn't get any offers.. ;):)

Oh well... :)

* - if I could get telnet working, I could have a proper dig around, but I didn't manage it.  I even tried logging stuff to the USB stick, to see if I could find a way in (though that was laborious, adding some commands to the script on the stick, putting the stick in the player, turning on the player, wait for the drawer to open, put disc in, close drawer wait for some time, turn player off, remove stick, plug into PC, see if any logs got created on the stick...)

P.S. I'm a Linux geek and work in IT, know enough about the PC and networking environment to know the problem wasn't a setup/config issue outside of the player.  Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the player to listen on any network port.

20 minutes ago, mutant_matt said:

I did ask at the time, but didn't get a response, if anybody with a  CA752/Oppo103/5 was willing to do a full directory list of their player via telnet (to file), and send me the file, I might be able to poke into it a little further, but not surprisingly, I didn't get any offers.. ;):)

Do you want a full dump of the filesystem, or just the listing? :-) I have just made a copy of the full filesystem in my Oppo 105, as mentioned above.

On 4.3.2018 at 6:04 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

@art

Thanks -- a very pertinent piece of information.

My first thought is that Spike44 should check to make sure  the music settings - SACD layer is selected and leave that alone, only toggling the other setting (stereo/multichannel) for the workaround.

But we still need to know which method he used that worked and what kinds of error messages for the ones that didn't.

I tried it again this evening (Putty & sacd_extract_160) and now it works with all SACDs!

Maybe it was actually a problem with the music settings.

I tried a lot and also changed the SACD Layer to CD (in combination with not restarting the player)... which was probably not the best idea. (one error message was something about scarlet book ..,)

(one error message was something about scarlet book ..,

Yes that's the error you would get if the setting was set to CD layer instead of SACD layer.  Scarlet book is the technical term for SACD Red book is the technical term for a regular CD.  (These were the colors of the manuals used by Philips containing the technical specifications for the different types of discs.)  The error is something like cannot find Scarlet book.  You will get the same error message if you put in a regular CD and try to run the SACD ripper program on it.

Great that you've got everything working.  Happy Ripping!

Hi Everyone,

Fascinating thread and first time poster.

I'm also a long time SACD fan who is constantly frustrated by the fact that I can not listen to  my SACD's on my Sony Hi-res player or PC.

Does anyone know if this method could work on a Cambridge Audio Azur 650Bd?

Looking at the owners manual the chip-set is allegedly a Mediatek MTK8520/MTK8575

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Spike44 Said:

Now that I have successfully created dsf files, I still need a recommendation which device is the best to stream these files

from my NAS (prefered gapless).

Would the Marantz NP8006 be suitable?

If you convert the DSF files into multi channel FLAC (which is easy to do with FOOBAR), your choices increase significantly. Personally, I use a Popcorn Hour and a Mede8er and both work perfectly. Both are significantly cheaper than the Marantz.

No sacd rips from CA650BD - but it will play burnt dvd sacd iso disks, assuming no fw update got in the road ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi James,

Thanks for the (disappointing) info. It's a shame my player is not one of the 'chosen few.'

Any suggestions on the best way forward for me?

Does anyone know of a ripping service I could use in the U.K? 

Or do you think I should try and pick up a cheap Oppo from somewhere?

I assume I can't rip from an SACD on my windows PC?

Thank you.

Will it matter what firmware version the prospective Sony will be running?

This is the advice I gave earlier:

For those who buy one -- don’t upgrade the firmware.  This is not because that will prevent use of the exploit.  It will not.  Rather it is because up through firmware M12.R.0430, the BDP-S590 will play SACD-R discs (SACD .iso images burned on DVD).  This is a nice feature which Sony disabled in later firmware.  Actually, it is possible to downgrade the firmware of this model and some other Sony BD players thanks to the work of this developer here:  http://www.malcolmstagg.com/bdp-s390-downgrade.html

I basically stand by this.  My memory is that one of the S590s I used did the ripping with the most updated firmware (even though it could no longer read SACD-R).  But I ultimately downgraded the firmware on both players I used to M12.R.0430 because I wanted to restore the ability to read SACD-Rs.

So I would say you should first attempt to do the ripping with whatever firmware is currently on the machine.  Only if you cannot get it to work should you consider downgrading the firmware.  Downgrading is not that difficult if you carefully follow the directions, but there are many variables to get right and the failure in any of them can result in a bricked player.

Also when you're on Ebay, also search for the BDP-BX59.  It is the same model as the BDP-S590, but was marketed under this model number at the Big Box stores and Walmart.  It is often listed for even lower prices than the BDP-S590.

18 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@klassikmann

The mysh.sh script is a script of your own devising?

mysh.sh looks so trivial, but it requested some trial and error to find a way the ISO will be stored on the thumb device instead of "/" crashing the player because of a full root filesystem.

22 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Scenario 2 is a clever innovation.  But do you have to re-insert the flashdrive for each new SACD to be ripped?

I will test it soon.

Now you log-in via telnet (e.g. using putty) as root to the player and give two commands:
cd /mnt/sda1/AutoScript
./sacd_extract_160 -I -i 127.0.0.1:2002

I don’t understand why one needs the -i 127.0.0.1:2002 for local ripping.

I simply use

./sacd_extract_160 –I

and get the same result.

After two error messages from mknod and insmod which can be neglected, ripping starts and the ISO will be stored in the AutoScript directory

I never get any such error messages.  A typical rip looks like the following on the command line.  (Perhaps you are getting those error messages because you are not including CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko).)

sony-player login: root

~ # cd /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD/

/mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD # ./sacd_extract_160 -I

[0]: convert_string(): Conversion not supported. Charsets: ISO646-JP -> UTF-8

Processing [Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Bruno Walter - Beethoven Symphony No.6 in F Major, Op.68 Pastorale.iso] (1/1)..

Completed: 100% (1676.5MB), Total: 100% (1676.5MB) at 2.97MB/sec

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I don’t understand why one needs the -i 127.0.0.1:2002 for local ripping.

I simply use

./sacd_extract_160 –I

and get the same result.

That's true. Thank you for the tip.

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I never get any such error messages.  A typical rip looks like the following on the command line.  (Perhaps you are getting those error messages because you are not including CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko).)

I got these "File exists" messages with and without the insmod in the AutoScript.