IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

59 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

I truly don't think the make of the thumb drive should have anything to do with the mount point designation.  AFAIK the first volume on the first partition of the first drive inserted will always mount as "sda1".  If you were to insert a second drive in the rear, it would be "sdb1".  Every time you insert a new drive or reinsert one of the others it will increment by another letter.  At least that's what I'm seeing.  I'm speaking of the S590 BTW.  Is it possible you were trying various things and removing and replacing the drive without rebooting?

You are right.  Each time you insert the USB, the directory increments. My bad

5 hours ago, dtblair said:

insmod: can't insert '/tmp/fileToprF1': invalid module format
[0]: install_modules: mknod/insmod filed
rmmod: can't unload 'sacd_read': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
[0]: Can not install modules

Am still getting the above error.  When it attempts to create the tmp file, where is this located?  Is the format of this file affected by the formatting of the USB?

12 minutes ago, dtblair said:

Am still getting the above error.

When you got that error,  had you started/restarted the player and left the disc in? - the disc needs to be playing before/while you toggle the music setting. So, try this:

1. Eject the SACD

2. Insert the SACD (and let it start auto playing)

3. Toggle the music setting

4. run the command

9 minutes ago, dtblair said:

Am still getting the above error.  When it attempts to create the tmp file, where is this located?  Is the format of this file affected by the formatting of the USB?

Wish I had a helpful answer, which I don’t. But I doubt it is a formatting problem but rather differences in the players software wrt the S590 and others. What I really wish is that you could try the same USB drive on an S590 and see if the same issue occurs. Total baseless speculation but it could be as simple as the binary for sacd_extract is broken by some subtle change in the newer player’s runtime environment.   

@tblair

In addition to all of Dick D's excellent troubleshooting suggestions, here are two other ones.

1.  In the music settings, instead of changing the 2channel and multi channel setting, change the other setting, the Super Audio CD Playback Layer or CD layer setting.

Since you probably had it set to Super Audio CD playback, change it to CD layer setting.
Remember to do this after you load the disc but before you start the ripper binary.

2.  Do you have any SACD-R discs handy.  SACD-R discs are DVDs on which a SACD iso has been burned.  If you have one, try this for ripping.  It should work even without the music-setting toggle work-around.  It is not an end in itself.  But it will be useful for troubleshooting.

@n2it

You raise an interesting issue

When you got that error,  had you started/restarted the player and left the disc in? - the disc needs to be playing before/while you toggle the music setting.

The way I do it is load the disc.  It automatically goes to the play window, but does not I think start playing.  If it does I stop it.  Then I return out to navigate to the Music settings to change the setting.  Then I execute the command to start the ripper program on the command line, which I had previously had set up. 

Have you done ripping while the disc was playing?

But as you say, In any event, always reload the disc before starting the process.  Don't restart the player with the disc in it.

11 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

@Spike44 Don't throw it out the window!  It will work great once you make it to the other side of the minefield.

Like @dtblair pointed out, it is important to be mindful of case sensitivity of file names, commands, and such given the Linux OS on the player.  That said, I am not certain if FAT32 fully supports case sensitivity because I can name the AutoScript folder, "autoscript" or "AutoSCRIPT" or whatever and it works as long as the AutoScript file is named correctly case-wise.  That may not be the case (no pun intended if I were to use NTFS).

Here's a few more things to try, keep in mind, and look at:

1. Always start with a freshly booted player.  Power it off and back on between attempts.  If the drive is properly formatted it will mount at /mnt/sda1 on the first insertion.  But if you remove it and reinsert it or a different drive it will mount as "sdb1" and so on.  So if you remove it and find and fix a problem with the drive and reinsert it before rebooting it probably won't work anyway.
  2. If you hold off on inserting the flash drive until the player is fully booted then you can look for a few indicators that will help narrow down the problem.  If you're ?. 
  • After you insert the flash drive look at the TV display and if it pops up a "USB device not supported" error message then you probably have a partition table or volume format problem.  Go directly to jail.  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect 200 quid. Confirm that it is an MBR partition scheme.  Confirm that the volume is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS and not ExFAT or something else.  Confirm that there is only one partition on the disk; no hidden system partitions that are likely to hose you.
  • If it likes the USB drive then adjust your gaze to the players alphanumeric display.  The display should change to "0000" within a few seconds.  If it does not, then the AutoScript file failed to load.  The most likely reason is that you have recently angered the gods followed by "you screwed something up" as a close second.
  1. (pretend this is 3). Since ping works and telnet doesn't, then you have mostly ruled out the "wrong ip" or network problem possibilities, but not entirely.  The other day -- a day that I was very much in the Goddesses favor BTW -- I too could ping but the telnet connection was refused although the "0000" was displayed as normal, leaving only "I screwed up" to sort out.  Turns out the dhcp assigned IP address had changed in the past day but something else was using the old IP.  That was just because I was too lazy to enter a static IP in my router for the play.

BTW, my player has firmware M12 R.0430, which is not the latest.

So take a look at the indicators in (2) above and see if that provides a clue that leads to the problem.

@dtblair I truly don't think the make of the thumb drive should have anything to do with the mount point designation.  AFAIK the first volume on the first partition of the first drive inserted will always mount as "sda1".  If you were to insert a second drive in the rear, it would be "sdb1".  Every time you insert a new drive or reinsert one of the others it will increment by another letter.  At least that's what I'm seeing.  I'm speaking of the S590 BTW.  Is it possible you were trying various things and removing and replacing the drive without rebooting?

I 've tried SONY BDP-S485. The AutoScript file failed to load, I thought. I just got the "Connection refused". It's firmware is M07 R.0631.

19 hours ago, dtblair said:

I wonder if the Sony bdpprog binary is similar and is always looking for the sda1 directory?

You can copy the binary to your USB drive and open it in some text editor. In unix, you can use the "strings" command to extract just pieces of strings from the unreadable binary - they are easier to search. 

You can also look at the init scripts, in Oppo it especially concerns the "/etc/init.d/usb_init.sh", which contains the command "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb"...

Wait, didn't I mention that the bdpprog contains the path "/mnt/sda1/AutoScript/AutoScript.TSS" and not "/mnt/usb/..."? Right. So maybe those things are not directly related? I will need another look into the running machine...

17 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

.  Do you have any SACD-R discs handy.  SACD-R discs are DVDs on which a SACD iso has been burned.  If you have one, try this for ripping.  It should work even without the music-setting toggle work-around.  It is not an end in itself.  But it will be useful for troubleshooting.

I have DVDs but no iso to burn to the disk.  Do you know where I can get a test iso download?

@[email protected]

"Connection refused" means it is not working and there's really not much more you can try.

We were concerned that the the BDP-S485  would be like the 2011 family including the BDP-380 or BDP-580, which players do not work.  (I tried and failed personally with one of those models.)

Is that firmware the most recent?  Generally it appears that firmware doesn't make a difference.

Thanks to ted_b I tried the SACD-R in the BDP-S790 and it won't play.  Gives FALSE and unreadable.  Must have the pit error checking.

I tried toggling the layer from SACD to CD, music from 2 channel to multi, back and forth.  No go.  Looks like to S790 won't do ripping.  Bummer

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@[email protected]

"Connection refused" means it is not working and there's really not much more you can try.

We were concerned that the the BDP-S485  would be like the 2011 family including the BDP-380 or BDP-580, which players do not work.  (I tried and failed personally with one of those models.)

Is that firmware the most recent?  Generally it appears that firmware doesn't make a difference.

It does, if you're confident that the AutoScript stuff has run on the player and you are confident in your technical skills to know for sure that the player is not listening on the network port, and that there is no reason why your computer cannot connect to that port.

In my case, I tried my CA751 (not 752), and the AutoScript stuff runs (it opens the drawer, it displays 12345678 on the screen), but it never listens on the network (on any port, I did a port scan just to be certain! (other than the "expected" ones like for uPnP/DLNA etc.)

This was kind of expected on mine as the 751 is a different chipset to the known working chipset on the 752, but it was worth a try.

Point is, you have to be confident what has or has not failed, to be certain your player really won't work! :)  (like mine, sadly,...deffo doesn't work! :( )

3 hours ago, mutant_matt said:

In my case, I tried my CA751 (not 752), and the AutoScript stuff runs (it opens the drawer, it displays 12345678 on the screen), but it never listens on the network (on any port, I did a port scan just to be certain! (other than the "expected" ones like for uPnP/DLNA etc.)

@mutant_matt, Were you attempting to telnet to the player, or just have the AutoScript start sacd_extract in server mode? 

@art

Thanks -- a very pertinent piece of information.

My first thought is that Spike44 should check to make sure  the music settings - SACD layer is selected and leave that alone, only toggling the other setting (stereo/multichannel) for the workaround.

But we still need to know which method he used that worked and what kinds of error messages for the ones that didn't.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

Have you done ripping while the disc was playing?

But as you say, In any event, always reload the disc before starting the process.  Don't restart the player with the disc in it.

I have done it both ways while it was actually playing and while it was at the gray colored play screen.  It seems that toggling the setting stops the disc.  I just wanted to makes sure that @dtblair had gone far enough into the screens before toggling the setting - as I was getting the exact same error messages.  If the SACD is playing and then the toggle, it would make sure that the right order was followed.

Unfortunately, I am now getting another error.  Trying to rip my second SACD.  

[0]: convert_string(): Conversion not supported. Charsets: ISO646-JP -> UTF-8

I was able to convert the disc once to ISO.  Then I decided I would try to DSF.  I started it once.  Canceled.  And then tried again, and now I get the error message above.  The disc is a Japanese disk (Avalon Roxy Music UIGY-9672).  I tried resetting the blu-ray settings to factory, and am still getting the error when trying another disk that worked 2 days ago.  I guess I would advise everyone to be careful when using a disk that may have a multibyte language.

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@n2it

That's not an error.  that's  the typical message when it is ripping.  Look at the guide I sent you.

Thanks, I found my error.  I had not used the right parameter when running the program.  I had always run it in -S mode before, so I had never seen the local "errors" when ripping to the USB