IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

@Phthalocyanine this is indeed great news if true about all these Sony candidates (not doubting you but you are the only one reporting this so far).  Let's get a couple other confirmations, if possible.  Thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to put in a little warning that there is a strong possibility that the Sony BDP-S790 uses a different chip than the S490/S590. I was curious because Sony describes the S790 as having a dual core processor whereas the S490/S590 do not. I've been digging in service manuals and it does appear that the main IC101 has a different internal Sony part number. 

@billbillw

Very interesting observation on the BDP-S790.

If you can find the service manual for the Sony BDP-S185 could you check that one for the part too?  As I mentioned in my initial post, I own a Sony BDP-S185 and can personally attest that the exploit works on that model too (I can telnet in and have root control). It doesn’t work for SACD ripping because this model is not SACD capable.  It would be interesting to see what the correlations are between part number and the mediatek chipset and exploit vulnerability in the various Sony models.

Wow, @Phthalocyanine , thanks so much for your investigations and for this discovery! This is a pretty major development, considering the BDP-S590 is available on the used market for about $50 to $80. That pretty much obliterates any affordability concerns for those who don't already have a ripping-capable player.

(Oh, and nice user name! :))

On 2018/2/13 at 2:25 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

I have discovered a new model that can be used for SACD ripping with the exploit discussed in this thread:

Sony BDP-S590

This is the midrange Sony Blu Ray player from 2012, which like all Sony’s Blu Ray players from that year, plays SACD.  I have reason to believe, but have not personally confirmed, that the exploit would work for all the Sony Blu Ray players for that year 2012.  I include a list of suspected models below.

The methods for using the exploit is exactly the same as that used for the Pioneer 160 with the following additional work-around:

The workaround is that after loading the disc, and right before one hits the button to start the ripping, one goes to the music settings and changes one of either two settings for SACD discs ([1]SACD or CD layer or [2] stereo or multichannel).  I usually use the stereo or multichannel setting.  As far as the ripping goes, it does not matter which one you set it to, as long as make the change just before starting the ripping.  If the setting is currently set to stereo, change it to multichannel.  If the setting is currently set to multichannel, set it to stereo. It is the changing the setting that is important for the reasons discussed below, not the setting itself.  Whatever the setting was when you loaded it, change it to the other one before you rip it.  The setting change is not instantly applied to the disc.  You would have to reload the disc for the new settings to be applied.  It does not matter whether stereo or multichannel is selected because ripping the .iso rips the whole disc image and all the contents of the disc.

I hypothesize that the reason one has to change one of these settings to get the ripping to work on the Sony is the following:  The Sony player, unlike the Oppos or Pioneers that are described in this forum thread, does not have any obvious setting to turn off autoload the disc.  The Sony automatically autoloads the SACD when you put it in.  But when a disc is autoloaded, this prevents the SACD ripper program from accessing the disc and it won't work.  But merely changing either music setting described above breaks the autoload so that the ripping can happen.

So for the S590 use the Autoscript, Autoscript.TSS, and sacd_extract etc. as described for the Pioneer 160.  You can use the telnet method with the S590, and that is primarily how I have used it.  I have ripped locally to a USB drive.  If you do this you can format the USB drive to NTFS (rather than FAT32) and rip .iso images larger than 4GB (another nice feature of the S590. which people who did their ripping with the PS3 and had the 4GB limit will appreciate.)

But the “server” method works fine with the S590, and that is the technique described in most of the guides here.

Because people sometimes have had problems with particular USB sticks, I will list two brands that I have personally used successfully for the ripping process with the S590:

SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB 2.0 32 GB

SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 128 GB

I suspect but cannot personally confirm that the following Sony Blu Ray players from 2012 will also be subject to the exploit, since I believe they are all based on the same mediatek chipset:

BDP-S390

BDP-S490

BDP-S790

BD Home Theater/Home Cinema Systems from 2012 with SACD:

BDV-E190

BDV-E290

BDV-E390

BDV-E690

BDV-N590

BDV-N790W

BDV-N890W

BDV-N990W

I can personally confirm that the Sony BDP-S185 (from late 2011) has the same chipset as the 2012 line and is also subject to the exploit.  Unfortunately this model does not read SACD and therefore will not work for SACD ripping.  (At least I cannot get it to work.)

I have tried using the exploit for some Sony Blu Ray players with SACD from 2010 (the BDP-S370, S570, etc.) and 2011 (the BDP S380, S580, etc) but it does not appear to work for these. (At least I cannot get them to work.)

I have not had the opportunity to try the exploit with Sony Blu Ray players from 2013 that read SACD, such as

BDP-S5100

BDP-S4100

Home Theatre:

BDV-N9100W

BDV-N7100W

Maybe someone out there with one of these can try it out.

The front tray did not open after powering on my Sony BDP-S485 with the USB drive containing the Autoscript folder inserted. Anything I did wrong? or S485 is not compatible?

@ [email protected]

The Sony BDP-S485 is a model I did not previously know about.

From its service manual, it’s a Sony Blu-Ray player model with SACD and Karaoke from 2011-2012 marketed in China, Singapore, Thailand, and Russia,

The question is whether it has the chipset of the S590 family from 2012 or the S580 family from 2011.  I could not get a S580 to work for ripping.  So if the S585 is like the S580 it will not work.

It is certainly worth trying however because the S485 has SACD capability and is close to the right time range.

The lack of the front tray opening is not necessary a sign that it will not work.

There are different versions of the exploit and not all of them open the front tray.

I have been using the telnet method for the Pioneer 160 and that version does not open the tray.

The telnet method is best for figuring out exactly what is going on because you get actual feedback from the player as you issue the commands.

The telnet method is described early on in this thread.  I or a colleague are planning to post our detailed guide to using the telnet method with the S590 soon.

(To be clear, the S590 also works with the “server” method in combination with iso2DSD.  It is just that I haven’t personally used that method in long time, since I prefer the telnet method.)

Hi,

I have been trying a bit to get this done using Mac and Oppo 103B.  The Oppo is on ethernet and my Mac is on the same network:

I have tried from the Mac and from Windows 7.

The USB drive is a bootable 2GB FAT32 device.  It opens the drawer when I insert it on the front.

I have set up the OPPO as per instructions on this page.

The SACD folder is in my Windows C drive.

Using the Sonore ISOD2DSD exe on Windows and the .JAR on Mac gives the same error

Response result non-zero or disc opened, cant open 192.168.1.73:2002 for reading

On Windows using cmd, I get this error:

libsacdread: Can't stat /dev/cdrom

No such file or directory

What am I missing?

6 minutes ago, HenkNZ said:

Hi,

I have been trying a bit to get this done using Mac and Oppo 103B.  The Oppo is on ethernet and my Mac is on the same network:

I have tried from the Mac and from Windows 7.

The USB drive is a bootable 2GB FAT32 device.  It opens the drawer when I insert it on the front.

I have set up the OPPO as per instructions on this page.

The SACD folder is in my Windows C drive.

Using the Sonore ISOD2DSD exe on Windows and the .JAR on Mac gives the same error

Response result non-zero or disc opened, cant open 192.168.1.73:2002 for reading

On Windows using cmd, I get this error:

libsacdread: Can't stat /dev/cdrom

No such file or directory

What am I missing?

The 5th sentence in your post is in error. Th rest is the consequence, for please,  debug from the beginning.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA