IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

24 minutes ago, RJeff said:

Could someone clear this up for me?
I started with setting up Wi-Fi for my Pioneer BDP-80FD. As I mentioned, the speeds are underwhelming.

What should be the next step I try? Connect the player to my laptop via LAN cable? Connect the player to my router? Both? Do I need to change any settings on the player?

Thanks

Most routers will provide 4 or 5 Ethernet sockets on their back panel. If your router has such sockets then connect both the Pioneer and your laptop to the router (not to each other). You then have a conventional wired Ethernet network, which will normally be faster and more reliable than a wireless network.

Thank you! That more than doubled the speed. 

Of course, I'm running a 50' LAN cable across my kitchen and living room to my study.... WAF: 0

Maybe I'll resurrect my old Windows 7 laptop and dedicate it to SACD ripping. I can tuck both the player and the computer into a corner near the router.

Very exciting!

So far, I have tried ripping 14 SACDs using my Oppo 105. There was no issue with 10 of them, but 4 others just stuck at a given track and went no further.

The status window in Sonore iso2dsd showed 'Processing ...', but without the steadily incrementing progress counter below. Rebooting my Windows 10 PC made no difference. Choosing 'Dual' or 'Multi' rip options also made no difference. Each attempt always stuck at the same track for any given disc. There is no obvious surface damage or dirt on any of them, which have all previously had their non-SACD stereo layer successfully ripped by dBpoweramp.

The problematic discs were as follows:

• Tippett, A Child of our Time, LSO Live
  • Stanford, The Revenge: A Ballad of the Fleet, Chandos
  • Szymanowski, Symphony No 2, etc, Chandos
  • Brittens's Orchestra, Kansas City Orchestra, Reference Recordings

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to overcome this problem?    

28 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

So far, I have tried ripping 14 SACDs using my Oppo 105. There was no issue with 10 of them, but 4 others just stuck at a given track and went no further.

The status window in Sonore iso2dsd showed 'Processing ...', but without the steadily incrementing progress counter below. Rebooting my Windows 10 PC made no difference. Choosing 'Dual' or 'Multi' rip options also made no difference. Each attempt always stuck at the same track for any given disc. There is no obvious surface damage or dirt on any of them, which have all previously had their non-SACD stereo layer successfully ripped by dBpoweramp.

The problematic discs were as follows:

• Tippett, A Child of our Time, LSO Live
  • Stanford, The Revenge: A Ballad of the Fleet, Chandos
  • Szymanowski, Symphony No 2, etc, Chandos
  • Brittens's Orchestra, Kansas City Orchestra, Reference Recordings

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to overcome this problem?    

The first thing to do is get a good disc cleaner, the kind that uses a spray and  "scrubs" the disc in a radial direction when you crank it.  They are not expensive.  I forget the brand name I have.  A lintless microfiber cloth and Windex might work with radial strokes, but not as well.  

Clean the disc carefully and retry, although if the disc plays regularly without obvious faults, it should also rip properly.  Nonetheless, cleaning the disc has worked for me and it is my first line of attack in this situation.

I have ripped the Britten successfully.  The others are on labels that I have not had trouble with in the past, although I do not have those particular discs.  

I am past the 3,000 SACD mark, going back several years into the PS3 era.  But, I suspect the Oppo is more tolerant of disc read faults than the PS3 drive was, although I have only done a few hundred discs on my Oppo 103.

5 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

The first thing to do is get a good disc cleaner....

I've actually taken the slightly more extreme measure of carefully washing two of my problem SACDs with warm water and washing-up liquid, rinsing them thoroughly, sandwiching them between two layer of clean towelling to remove water droplets and then lightly wiping with a lint-free microfibre cloth. This worked with two or three discs when I was ripping my CD collection withn dBpoweramp a few years ago. Unfortunately, it didn't fix those SACDs, despite the disc surfaces looking quite pristine.

Of course, dBpoweramp has the advantage of being able to make multiple attempts to read difficult tracks. As far as I can tell, this SACD ripping technique has to get it right first time.

Are you saying that you have ripped a few hundred SACDs on your Oppo 103 without ANY failures? Do you use Sonore iso2dsd as your ripping interface?

I have ripped several hundred SACDs without failure in my Oppo 103.  I used to have more problems with the PS3.  However, aside from disc cleanliness, there are sometimes metadata problems, usually with older SACDs from a decade or more ago, usually foreign punctuation in output file names. Windows and Mac may differ in this, but I use Win 7.

I do not do many of those any more today, because I am more or less caught up in my collection.  So, rips now are mainly of recent acquisitions of newer discs.

While some problems can occur in ripping SACD to ISO, problems can also happen in the extract ISO to DSF process due to funny characters or, in Windows, file path length issues.  In Windows, it is always important to keep top level folder names short and close to the root because the folder and file names generated from metadata inside the rip are of unpredictable total path  length.

I don't know what else to suggest.

14 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

....In Windows, it is always important to keep top level folder names short and close to the root because the folder and file names generated from metadata inside the rip are of unpredictable total path length....

I have now managed to rip all four of my problem SACDs. It was nothing to do with running Sonore iso2dsd under Windows 7 instead of Windows 10. The real issue proved to be excessive path names. I had initially overlooked Fitzcaraldo215's earlier advice on this point (repeated in above quote).

Moving all the iso2dsd files to a new Sonore folder on the root of my C: drive solved my problem.

Glad you solved it.  We've been preaching since day one (2011) that ISO and extracted file names can overtake Windows path name character restrictions, so the only real proactive way to help with this is to make the first part of the path (directory and folder) as close to the root, and as short as possible.   This is especially true for classical music, where track names can be ridiculously long and pedantic, containing work, movement, composer, octave, opus number and what the conductor was wearing (believe me, as NativeDSD.com metadata guy, one of my hats, I have to watch for this constantly from the labels).  I wish the extraction programs would have an argument where one could concatenate during extraction....not really sure that would solve it but what the heck. 

36 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I have now managed to rip all four of my problem SACDs. It was nothing to do with running Sonore iso2dsd under Windows 7 instead of Windows 10. The real issue proved to be excessive path names. I had initially overlooked Fitzcaraldo215's earlier advice on this point (repeated in above quote).

Moving all the iso2dsd files to a new Sonore folder on the root of my C: drive solved my problem.

If used batch processing of ISOs or there many ISOs, need number of copying operations that consume significant time.

Extracted file name formed by ISO's metadata.

If metadata length will more, than allowable path length, there will issues in any place of disk.

Also non-English symbols can cause error of ISO extraction.

For avoiding all these issues need special extraction with sacd_extract.exe and automatical processing after the extraction. In forming of full path of extracted file, our conversion software control actual file-path-name length and truncate excess symbols for correct target file-path-name length.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

While I had success in ripping my first SACD, the playing of a SACD-R is becoming a bottleneck.

On the basis of A list of SACD R compatible players I could grab a good used Pioneer DV-696AV multi(SACD) player for little money. This player is described as "confirmed to play after (custom) firmware update".
My experience with this player so far is that is does not recognize and play a SACD-R copy of a SACD.iso with the original firmware (YDC6628A), as expected, but also not with the newest firmware (YDC7B16A) or custom firmware (YDC7B16A.7.0-1252). The custom firmware did not explicitly mention in the accompanying text the ability to play SACD-R.
The SACD.iso was burnt on DVD-R (max speed), DVD-R (slow burning, 2x) or DVD+RW with ImgBurn.
In all cases it is loading a very long time and finally it displays "DVD" with the message "cant play".
Of course, an original SACD is recognized as such by the player and can be played with all firmwares.
Does anyone know which (custom) firmware is used for this particular player to work?

Is there among forum members some experience with this player?

Thanks

BTW, will the new Oppo UDP-205 rip an SACD?  It has the newest ESS DAC chips, but I'm unclear on what chips have to match what to do a rip...

If not, what is the cheapest player (and easiest to use) that will rip SACDs?

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

BTW, will the new Oppo UDP-205 rip an SACD?  It has the newest ESS DAC chips, but I'm unclear on what chips have to match what to do a rip...

No, the 20x series players can't be used for the ripping process at this time because they use a newer decoder chip than the 10x series players and no one has (yet?) figured out how to make it work.

I can't really answer your other question - I already had a 103 and 105D on hand when this process was figured out, so I haven't shopped for anything else.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

It's not the DAC that allows the ripping exploit in players, but the MediaTek SoC (decoder, etc.).

- JediJoker

20 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

If not, what is the cheapest player (and easiest to use) that will rip SACDs?

Don't know if this is the cheapest but the Pioneer BDP-80FD runs at $230 on Amazon. I've ripped a dozen or so SACDs without any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried using the GUI ISO to DSD tool last weekend for the very first time.  I was using the DOS command line before and extracted hundreds of ISO's with it.  Unfortunately, I discovered the the GUI version does not create the extended metadata tags correctly and tags are missing for Catalog # and ISRC even though they are in the .cue file.  I had to go back to the old methodology.

Attached are extended tag info for CMD vs GUI

ISO 2 DSF CMD.JPG

ISOtoDSF GUI.JPG

good news:

;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

This enables the creation of an index, but someone has to curate it. @ted_b started this thread, so by default, he has the edit authority of the original post. However, Chris has indicated that he can manually assign edit authority to an alternate of the OP's choosing.

I guess this makes sense but I have the following questions:  Is the creation of an index the only thing this new authority allows?  And what is the mission of this index?  Will the index be used to indicate what is or is not on- or off-topic and will information that is determined to be off-topic still remain available or will it be eliminated somehow.  Finally, I am assuming it's the OP, or others so designated, that determines what's appropriate for indexing and what is not to be indexed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂