IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

5 hours ago, haggis999 said:

Thanks for that explanation. All those references to post #nnn had me really puzzled.

However, I'm now puzzled by your admonition to avoid being "demanding". I always try to be polite and wasn't aware that I had ever demanded anything in this forum. Does repeating an unanswered question after three days count as demanding? If so, then I humbly apologise. I merely thought that this question had been overlooked by those who had kindly responded to all my other questions during that period. The last thing I would wish to do is to upset the people who have helped me achieve my long-held desire to rip SACDs! 

Perhaps he thought you were going to be, but no, I didn't see anything but politeness in your request.  By the way, there is a thread for questions about the way the site works: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31209-the-new-ca-issues-and-feedback-thread/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi to Geronimo1958,

I followed your advice and am now ripping my very first SACD as I  type this message!  Thank you very much!

As a former software engineer in a previous life, I see the problem was not using the unique files needed for the Pioneer player on the flash drive USB stick. (The files on the PC itself are the same and not important.) This was not obvious on some of the messages.

It's looking like it will take about 20 minutes to rip this disc.

Regards,

Joel

Had to sell my 103D as just got new UDP-205. However, just picked up a Pioneer 160. I want to use this with Senore iSO2DSD as with the 103. Bit confused which auto script files I need to add to USB stick. Can someone confirm exactly which ones I can use ( assume different to Oppo). Cheers Guys.

On 17/05/2017 at 2:17 AM, Dick Darlington said:

I strongly concur with this post!

The telnet tack is a red herring in the case of the Oppos. You will flitter away hours of your life pointlessly. It doesn't apply to Oppos and it won't work. Just follow the non-telnet centric instructions. If you're lucky enough to find them that is. 

Fair enough, didn't want to create confusion, was trying to clarify and point out that:

1. telnet, when run solely on your PC (not on the player, which has been described as "the telnet method"), instead can be used as a network diagnostic tool to test/check if the player is running the sacd_extract binary, is listening on the network, and ready for "ripping".

2. It's a better test than ping, as ping only tells you that *something* is on the network and replying to that ip address (which the player will do when it's on and connected to the network, without any of these tools running).  The telnet test as per point 1, tests the ip adresss *and* the port required for the ripping tools to work.

I didn't at any time suggestion people should try running a telnet server on the player itself (using the alternative autoscript files), which is an entirely different thing (gives you command line access to the player itself).

HTH!?

Cheers,

Matt.

15 hours ago, kenval said:

Had to sell my 103D as just got new UDP-205. However, just picked up a Pioneer 160. I want to use this with Senore iSO2DSD as with the 103. Bit confused which auto script files I need to add to USB stick. Can someone confirm exactly which ones I can use ( assume different to Oppo). Cheers Guys.

Problems.. Disc drawer opens on 160 when i insert USB stick but when i close drawer, unlike 103, pioneer starts to play SACD. Tried with playing & stopping but PC says unable to connect and I have to power down Pioneer as it has frozen before it works again. Says unable to connect. have checked & re-checked ISP address.

I attach a copy of what is on my USB stick. Anyone have any ideas???

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 13.24.49.png

17 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

The advice for using the Oppo was to turn off disc autostart settings. Does the Pioneer also have such configuration options?

Wasn't there also some Pioneer 160 specific autoscript files which differed slightly from the Oppo/Cambridge ones?

1 hour ago, kenval said:

Problems.. Disc drawer opens on 160 when i insert USB stick but when i close drawer, unlike 103, pioneer starts to play SACD. Tried with playing & stopping but PC says unable to connect and I have to power down Pioneer as it has frozen before it works again. Says unable to connect. have checked & re-checked ISP address.

I attach a copy of what is on my USB stick. Anyone have any ideas???

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 13.24.49.png

OK now resolved..have to press stop twice until SACD re appears..Thanks for help guys.

Thanks to this great forum, I just finished ripping my first SACD disc using a Pioneer BDP-160 that I could grab from eBay recently.

@HiRezGuy
I followed your protocol for the Pioneer BDP-80FD (page 78) and it worked also flawless on my 160 at first try. Thanks!

The ripping was done via WiFi, but it took 1 hr for completion (3.5 GB). 

In order to speed it up I am considering to couple the 160 directly to my laptop or using an ethernet cable to the router. For the last option, one or more 10m (30ft) cables would have to run queer through my apartment.
I would therefore prefer a direct coupling with a laptop, if possible, but how should they communicate?

If both NICs (Network interfaces) in the laptop and player are gigabit, then any straight-through, or crossover cable will work.  I suspect the laptop is gigabit but the player probably isn't.

If so, a crossover cable will work, but you'll have to set static IPs on both the laptop and the player (on the same subnet), for this to work.  There is nothing wrong with a 10m cable, unless it'll just be in the way.

If there is a network router in between then the cabling point still stands (either is fine (as long as the switch in the router is gigabit), but you shouldn't need to set static IP addresses, as the router will most likely be running a DHCP server, and assign both the laptop and player dynamic IP addresses (which will change from time to time, so I'd usually advise setting the player to static, so it's IP address is, err, static ;):)* ).

HTH! :)

* - this can also be achieved with a DHCP reservation, if your DHCP server (in the router), has that feature.

4 hours ago, KVDB010 said:

Thanks to this great forum, I just finished ripping my first SACD disc using a Pioneer BDP-160 that I could grab from eBay recently.

@HiRezGuy
I followed your protocol for the Pioneer BDP-80FD (page 78) and it worked also flawless on my 160 at first try. Thanks!

In order to speed it up I am considering to couple the 160 directly to my laptop or using an ethernet cable to the router. For the last option, one or more 10m (30ft) cables would have to run queer through my apartment.
I would therefore prefer a direct coupling with a laptop, if possible, but how should they communicate?

BTW ripping normally takes 20-40 minutes depending on SACD so you may not get "much" faster or had a disk that was longer and thus took more time...try a few before going to any great lengths.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

6 hours ago, KVDB010 said:

@HiRezGuy

Ripping of SACD happens at approx 2mb/s to start with , inner disc , and approx 6-8mb/s at the end , outer disc.

It is highly unlikely that switching to hard wire will be any faster than wi-fi.

Some stereo only discs contain anything from 900MB to 1.5GB and take about 20 mins , some surround titles have 3.5GB approx and will take the best part of an hour to rip.

1 minute ago, andy1249 said:

Ripping of SACD happens at approx 2mb/s to start with , inner disc , and approx 6-8mb/s at the end , outer disc.

It is highly unlikely that switching to hard wire will be any faster than wi-fi.

Some stereo only discs contain anything from 900MB to 1.5GB and take about 20 mins , some surround titles have 3.5GB approx and will take the best part of an hour to rip.

That's my experience too...there isn't any way to speed this up.  Also if you are ripping to DSD instead of ISO then it may take longer too...not sure cause I don't do that.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

I rip "locally," that is directly to a USB drive connected to the player.  (This is possible with a Pioneer using a Telnet connection and is documented earlier in this thread.)  This removes any network lag from the ripping process, but my rip rates are still around those discussed above -- 2 - 3 mbps, around 20 - 30 minutes per disc depending on the size of the SACD.  The rip process itself is about 4x at most and this cannot be sped up.  So while it is always useful to try to speed up your network connections, you may not see great results here because of the nature of the SACD ripping process.

Thanks for the replies to my post.

My initial ripping speed was 0.5 MB/s to a final around 1.1 MB/s. This appears to be much slower than the reported 2 - 8 MB/s. I realize also that during ripping a lot of internal network activity occurred simultaneously with a few of my other PCs. Therefore, the wifi router speed might have been pretty slow. I did not check. I will run a new rip soon with as little network activity as possible. Will see what happens then with the speed.

I'd use a wired network wherever possible, just to be sure of reliability (wifi is pretty horrible for things that don't need to be mobile (which depends very much on where your devices are)).

Also then, you always know that the network won't be the cause of any problems or slow-downs, which wireless is often both.

I definitively will now also try out a direct ethernet connection between my laptop and the BDP-160.

After a search I found an illustrative explanation on "how to" in a post by one and a half on page 23 of this forurm.

Again, many thanks to the reponders.

1 hour ago, KVDB010 said:

I definitively will now also try out a direct ethernet connection between my laptop and the BDP-160.

After a search I found an illustrative explanation on "how to" in a post by one and a half on page 23 of this forurm.

Again, many thanks to the reponders.

I didn't have to create a static ip using a direct connection to my win 8.1 pc, FD-80 shows up in windows explorer. Right click for ip in properties. Place ip # in "iso2dsd_PC_v7" 

I thought I'd post this to save others time and potentially, money.

taobao sellers have no unmodified Pioneer DBP-160s left despite sites saying they have.

You can only go so far on taobao using Google Chrome and it's translation capability. Ultimately you need to talk to sellers and the chat app is only in Chinese and there's no way to copy and paste into a translation site.

Eventually I tried using a taobao agent. This was when I found that despite many sellers indicating that they had many unmodified Pioneer BDP-160s available, when you actually came to purchase one, there were none available.

Shame because I really wanted to get the SACD layer of a bunch of my CDs onto my music server.

Thank you everyone for all the work put into this topic. I found a mint Pioneer BDP-80FD on EBay in a local auction. Won the bid and picked it up yesterday. With the provided directions I was up and running in almost no time. (It's been a while since I worked in DOS, so I had to do a quick refresher on command prompts.) Everything worked and I ripped my first SACD this evening, and used Sonore to turn the ISO into DSF.
I was using wi-fi and it took a while; I'm not that close to my router, but I happen to have a 50' LAN cable in my basement... I'll try that tomorrow.

One down, about 400 or so to go!

Could someone clear this up for me?
I started with setting up Wi-Fi for my Pioneer BDP-80FD. As I mentioned, the speeds are underwhelming.

What should be the next step I try? Connect the player to my laptop via LAN cable? Connect the player to my router? Both? Do I need to change any settings on the player?

Thanks