IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

^ The only way to really make it work is to have the thread starter maintain a few posts at the top of the thread with up-to-date info.  Something like a first post with an overview of what this SACD ripping stuff is all about and then separate posts for each category of player; preferably ALL at the start of the thread before other people start replying (so quickly start the thread and post a few "placeholder" replies), but pointers to relevant posts from the first post also work well.

I wish I could, but the OP (me in this case) on any thread has no more rights to edit than any poster.

We have a nice post a couple pages back that list all the working players.  Now, if someone who uses them (I don't) could point me to the best of the posts that summarize the easiest instructions I would be happy to start a new summary thread (or article for that matter).

I could easily create a webpage summarising this subject. But it would be only me able to maintain it. (It would be quite an overshot to install a whole wiki system just because of one topic.) Otherwise: why not!?

Giving assistance to all the people not able to even find the IP address of their player is probably a necessary thing, but I would love to find out more about how to script the player and control the functions seemingly not documented anywhere else. The "auto-scripts" contain a lot of useful knowledge that would be worth better documentation - but where are their authors and where did they acquire the knowledge?

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

I wish I could, but the OP (me in this case) on any thread has no more rights to edit than any poster.

Oh right, I forgot that this forum doesn't let you edit posts indefinitely.  That's probably something the site owner could configure and may be worth considering as it would make my suggestion doable.

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Where is the wiki feature when you need it?! ?

Serioudly a wiki attached to this topic that can be group edited would be ideal... but I don't believe the new CA has such.

a wiki would work well - esp. if limited to a few people

or a thread where the OP could re-edit his post

When I reported here a day or two ago that I had finally succeeded in ripping an SACD using Sonore iso2dsd, I thought that I would now be able to start ripping my entire SACD collection. However, Murphy's Law has intervened; iso2dsd stopped working last night after I transferred the Sonore folder to a different drive on my Windows 10 PC (as part of a larger housekeeping task to avoid one of my disks from getting too full).

Every time I try to rip an SACD loaded in my Oppo BDP105EU, I now get the following error.

Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.93:2002 for reading

Deleting and reinstalling the program has made no difference. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?

22 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

Every time I try to rip an SACD loaded in my Oppo BDP105EU, I now get the following error.

Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.93:2002 for reading

Deleting and reinstalling the program has made no difference. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?

That's the error you get when the app running on your PC can't connect to the server running on the SACD player.  Either the player is not running the sacd_extract app on the player (so the app isn't "listening" on the network), the IP address of the player is incorrect (as specified in your cmd file on your PC), or less likely, your PC is not on the same network (or there is a firewall in-between your PC and your SACD player (unlikely)).

Check you can ping that IP address from your PC, and then see if you can telnet to port 2002 on that IP address.  If you can do both, then the app running on your PC should be able to connect to the SACD player.

HTH!

Matt :)

14 hours ago, ted_b said:

We have a nice post a couple pages back that list all the working players.  Now, if someone who uses them (I don't) could point me to the best of the posts that summarize the easiest instructions I would be happy to start a new summary thread (or article for that matter).

Is there anyway to post stickies (permanent posts at the top of the thread) or does the administrator have to do that?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

1 hour ago, mutant_matt said:

That's the error you get when the app running on your PC can't connect to the server running on the SACD player.  Either the player is not running the sacd_extract app on the player (so the app isn't "listening" on the network), the IP address of the player is incorrect (as specified in your cmd file on your PC), or less likely, your PC is not on the same network (or there is a firewall in-between your PC and your SACD player (unlikely)).

Check you can ping that IP address from your PC, and then see if you can telnet to port 2002 on that IP address.  If you can do both, then the app running on your PC should be able to connect to the SACD player.

HTH!

Matt :)

A ping to my Oppo works fine, but I'm a little unsure how to use telnet. I tried the following, but I don't know if the response listed below is what I should have been expecting.

Microsoft Telnet> o 192.168.1.93 2002

Connecting To 192.168.1.93...

However, I only used Sonore iso2dsd after my other attempts to follow the more standard procedure all failed. I then remembered that when iso2dsd worked last night, I still had a USB memory stick containing an Autoscript folder plugged into the front of my Oppo. My assumption had been that this USB stick was not required for the iso2dsd solution, as it is not mentioned on the Sonore website, but reinserting it into my Oppo enabled iso2dsd to work again.

The lack of any coherent instructions for this stuff is clearly a significant problem!

To haggis99

The Telnet method uses a different script and, as far as I remember, only works with the Pioneer, not with the Oppo.

(And one telnets to a different port than port 2002 in any event.)

So I wouldn't get sidetracked with trying to telnet.  Pinging is sufficient to see whether you have a network connection to your player.

3 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

To haggis99

The Telnet method uses a different script and, as far as I remember, only works with the Pioneer, not with the Oppo.

(And one telnets to a different port than port 2002 in any event.)

So I wouldn't get sidetracked with trying to telnet.  Pinging is sufficient to see whether you have a network connection to your player.

Yes and no :)

If you ping the SACD player from your PC, that just tells you that the SACD player is on the network.  This should work when the player is on and connected to the network at any time, and does not tell you anything about whether or not the SACD player is "listening" on any ports (either telnet/port 23 or the sacd_extract binary (port 2002).  By default, I don't think most SACD players are listening on any ports, as they usually act as network (media) clients, not servers (which is part of what the sacd_extract binary that runs on the SACD player is).

If you do a "telnet test" from your PC (something like: telnet <ip address> <port>, if you get a response, that tells you that the "server" (the sacd_extract binary running on the SACD player), is running and listening on the port that it uses (2002 I think in this case).  This is not to be confused with running a different script on the USB stick to enable a telnet server to run on the SACD player! (which you could then connect to from your PC using telnet on the standard telnet port (port 23).  I am suggesting simply using the telnet executable on the PC, to test/prove that the SACD player is "listening" on the correct port on the SACD player.

HTH?

Cheers,

Matt.

To Matt,

I see what you are saying but this is what I do not understand,

As far as I know, the telnet function of an Oppo or a Pioneer is not normally running.

You need a script to gain root access to turn on the telnet genie and change the password to something known.

So one needs to run one of the scripts to get telnet access.

And as far as I know no one has gotten telnet access to the Oppo (as opposed to the Pioneer).

If one tries to connect via Telnet to a Pioneer without the script running, the response will be "access denied."

To the extent you get this response, as opposed to "unable to reach 192.168. etc," then you have I suppose verified that you at least have a network connection to the right IP address.  But I don't know if this adds anything more than a Ping test.

So the scenarios are

(1) a successful telnet connection (requires root access through a script).  Indicates a successful network connection to the player too of course.

mudkip@mudkip:~$ telnet 192.168.1.139
Trying 192.168.1.139...
Connected to 192.168.1.139.
Escape character is '^]'.

(2) A failed telnet connection attempt that at least shows you're using the right IP address and thus indicates a network connection to the player

Trying 192.168.1.139...
Access denied

(3) A failed telnet connection where you do not even have the right IP address and thus indicates you do not even have a network connection to the player

Trying 192.168.1.139...
Unable to connect to 192.168.1.139...

Note that in most telnet terminal programs (here Linux) you do not indicate the port.  The telnet command uses the default port.   Port 2002 is not a telnet port and cannot be checked this way.  2002 is a port the SACD ripper program uses and the SACD ripper program has to run successfully to open it up.)

So haggis999, the best you can hope for is scenario 2.  And if you get scenario 3, then you need to troubleshoot the IP address for your player or other basic network connection issues.

This telnet stuff is over my head. The result of my attempt to open a telnet connection to my Oppo is still as listed in my last post. I don't know if I got the syntax right, but the result doesn't actually match any of the scenarios listed above.

However, this all appears to be a moot point, as I have just successfully extracted DSF files for both the stereo and multichannel layers of an SACD.

My only current problem is with a different SACD, which always hangs up at track 5 of 9, despite having previously had its CD layer successfully ripped using dBpoweramp (there is no obvious physical damage to this SACD). One limitation of the sacd_extract.exe process (compared to dBpoweramp) is the apparent lack of any ability to run multiple scans of difficult tracks.

You should be able to use telnet as a better connectivity test than just ping (which only tells you the SACD player is on the network).  If the sacd_extract binary is running on the player (after having opened the draw for you, you pop the disc in, and close the drawer), you should then be able to prove the sacd_extract is now "listening" on the network for incomming connections (typically sacd_extract.exe running on your windows pc (I run Linux, but that's not relevant here/right now), by doing a telnet test like this:

matt@linuxpc:  telnet 192.168.1.100 2002

Trying 192.168.1.100...
Connected to 192.168.100
Escape character is '^]'.

You will get no further, but you will have proven using telnet, that the "server" running on the player, is listening on the network (port 2002, and therefore, ripping should work).  Ping tells you the player is on the network, telnet (to port 2002) tells you if the sacd_extract server is ready and listening.

If the sacd_extract server is not running on the player you will get:

Trying 192.168.1.100...

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

or

Trying 192.168.1.100...

Access denied

(depending on the local telnet client you are running on your pc).

If you were to do a "standard" telnet, like this (not specifying the port, it will then take the default (port 23)):

matt@linuxpc:  telnet 192.168.1.100

Trying 192.168.1.100...

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

or as Phthalocyanine got (depends on the local telnet client how it reports this):

Trying 192.168.1.139...
Access denied

Both mean a telnet server is not listening on the target IP address (on port 23), which you would expect, unless you're running the autoscript that does run a telnet server on the SACD player, instead of the sacd_extract binary.

There are plenty of other network tools you can use to test for a server listening on any port you like on a networked machine, telnet is just one that tends to ship with most operating systems (though I think it's no longer part of the default Windows install since Windows7, but I could be wrong...)

HTH!?

Cheers,

Matt.

Please, forget about the telnet! I will repeat my earlier experience again:

• you do NOT need telnet at all
  • telnet daemon will not start on the Oppo, it is probably not available there - do not even try using the autoscripts trying to run the telnet daemon on Oppo: the scripts will fail and they will not be able to continue and start the sacd extractor server anymore!

The only proper thing your autoscript should do on the Oppo is copying the sacd_extract binary to the player and running it there. The other scripts trying to run telnet and set the buffer are obviously meant for the other (Pioneer?) players.

BTW: The Oppo HAS some ports open by default (I did a port scan). I suppose those ports are open for the remote control apps (for smartphones and other devices).

Hi,

I am new to this post and just recently obtained a Pioneer BDP-80FD to use to rip SACDs after reading the previous posts on this thread and hoping to easily be able to read discs.

I cannot get the unit to respond as a server after having read all of the relevant posts and carefully following all instructions.  In all cases I get the "Failed to connect" response, I believe confirming that the player is not functioning as a server. (I have also used Telnet and the Sonore iso2dvd_gui program with the exact same result! I have used ping to verify the address is correct and always get a valid ping response. The drawer opens upon powering up with a USB stick and reads the SACD when I close the drawer,, etc.)

I would really like to get this working. Any comments or further help would be appreciated!

Joel

Do not forget that ping only shows that there is SOME device on the IP address, connected and alive. But that does not mean that the device responding to ping is your player! It can be just any other computer, phone, tablet or any other device in your network. You need to check it is really the address of your player and no other device!

You can check the IP address of your player in its network settings. Your router may also tell you which address is assigned to which device in your network. Do not forget that the IP address may change when you turn the device off and on again.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

The player address is statically assigned and outside of the address range of the router.  Also, if I disconnect the Ethernet cable to the player, the ping immediately fails, so I am sure that no other device is on the network at that same address. When I reconnect the cable the ping again responds.

5 hours ago, wanthalf said:

Please, forget about the telnet! I will repeat my earlier experience again:

• you do NOT need telnet at all
  • telnet daemon will not start on the Oppo, it is probably not available there - do not even try using the autoscripts trying to run the telnet daemon on Oppo: the scripts will fail and they will not be able to continue and start the sacd extractor server anymore!

The only proper thing your autoscript should do on the Oppo is copying the sacd_extract binary to the player and running it there. The other scripts trying to run telnet and set the buffer are obviously meant for the other (Pioneer?) players.

BTW: The Oppo HAS some ports open by default (I did a port scan). I suppose those ports are open for the remote control apps (for smartphones and other devices).

I strongly concur with this post!

The telnet tack is a red herring in the case of the Oppos. You will flitter away hours of your life pointlessly. It doesn't apply to Oppos and it won't work. Just follow the non-telnet centric instructions. If you're lucky enough to find them that is. 

I have succesfully ripped three SACD's with my new Pioneer BDP-80FD using the instructions provided by HiResGuy on page 78 of this thread and using the AutoScript and sacd_extract from ted_b's Dropbox page link from page 3.  Thanks to both.  Now I have to buy some more SACD's.  I will keep my PS3 as a backup and in case the Pioneer has trouble with any SACD's.  The PS3 sounded like it as a jet engine when I would use it the rip a SACD.  The Pioneer is barely audible.

HTPC (ASUS mini-itx, Intel i3, Lian-Li case)

Denon 4308

B&W CM-5's, B&W CM Center, B&W M-1's

I have not yet had any response to the question I raised three days ago, as to why many people have quoted previous posts in this forum using a numeric reference (such as #123), when such numbers are not visible in my browser.

What magic potion is required to make post numbers visible?

38 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I have not yet had any response to the question I raised three days ago, as to why many people have quoted previous posts in this forum using a numeric reference (such as #123), when such numbers are not visible in my browser.

What magic potion is required to make post numbers visible?

The previous software used at CA was Vbulletin, where such references existed. It appears that these references are gone now. To reference a post, you can find it with search or the hard way, and use the share icon in the post to obtain the post link. From that you can use the link icon to reference.

And don't be demanding.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA