IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 2017-04-22 at 6:17 PM, wanthalf said:

Right. MakeMKV can rip the M2TS files. But what can be extracted from those, and played on a PC? Any sort of multichannel FLAC? How to send it to an AVR through HDMI or any other digital channel from a PC, then?

PowerDVD can play the m2ts files.  The easiest thing to do is copy and unencrypt the bluray disk with AnyDVD HD.  They have an updated database -- otherwise you could have a problem with copy protection. If you really need to have the video in another format (e.g. mp4 for ipad, etc.), then you need to use Handbrake -- but this involves decoding and recoding, and is very time consuming and lossy.

mQa is dead!

31 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

Embarrassing enough, I only have two albums I want to rip (Other SACDs I have either there are some being ripped and shared on the internet or I bought the digital DSD version)

I know there is a SACD ripping service, but that's in US. Please do share if you know any SACD ripping service based in UK. :)

The amount of effort and time spent to rip only two SACDs using this method is absurdly high all things considered. 

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

20 minutes ago, Hikmer said:

The amount of effort and time spent to rip only two SACDs using this method is absurdly high all things considered. 

This is especially true if the specific SACDs contained only 24bit/88.2kHz or 24bit/96kHz PCM files converted to DSD as often is the case.

mQa is dead!

@fred sonnen 

Thank you my friend, one kind gent just helped me out. Thank you all the same.

@Jud

Thank you Jud, believe it or not. All pioneer bdp160, 170 are out of stock in China. I can find none on Taobao. 

I believe most of Pioneer BDP-80FD available at the moment are 120V model. So a bit sad. :( (I live in UK now and will be in Shanghai soon, 120V is not ideal)

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

10 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

@fred sonnen 

Thank you my friend, one kind gent just helped me out. Thank you all the same.

@Jud

Thank you Jud, believe it or not. All pioneer bdp160, 170 are out of stock in China. I can find none on Taobao. 

I believe most of Pioneer BDP-80FD available at the moment are 120V model. So a bit sad. :( (I live in UK now and will be in Shanghai soon, 120V is not ideal)

Wow.  Glad to know you got some assistance.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

24 minutes ago, lucretius said:

PowerDVD can play the m2ts files.  The easiest thing to do is copy and unencrypt the bluray disk with AnyDVD HD.  They have an updated database -- otherwise you could have a problem with copy protection. If you really need to have the video in another format (e.g. mp4 for ipad, etc.), then you need to use Handbrake -- but this involves decoding and recoding, and is very time consuming and lossy.

Yes, I have ripped and unencrypted M2TS files from MakeMKV (sorry, no Windows here). And my Oppo plays the M2TS files very well. The question is, if I can extract the different single audiotracks from them (it is pure-audio disks, so there is no video at all - or just blank video, to be exact). Actually, I have the tracks extracted, somehow, but I wonder if DTS-HD can be converted to multichannel FLAC without loss of anything and played back thought HDMI.

Actually, the more serious problem seems to be streaming DSD through HDMI. As far as I found, there is no PC driver capable of that (not even for Windows, not to speak about Linux).

Be gentle. This is my first post.

SUCCESSFUL RIPPING WITH AN OPPO BDP-105EU ON FIRMWARE 10XEU-83-1226

Well I have been through the mill trying to figure this one out. I have had all the error messages listed on here -

"Failed to connect libsacdread Failed to read ...."

"sacd_extract Stopped Working..."

etc.

I tried direct ethernet connections, disabling firewalls, static IP addresses etc etc.

Then I when I read a couple of rajmahid posts I thought to myself well lets just filter on his (ok I am being sexist here and assuming this person is male) posts and when I saw the line "OH MY GOODNESS!!! IT'S WORKING!!!!!!!! :)))))" I dived a bit deeper.

I to had a USB drive that for some reason when copying the files to it had added file extensions to the AutoScript files.

So I started a fresh on a Windows laptop (I had previously downloaded these files using a MacBook and that may have been part of the issue) and directly downloaded the files straight to a USB Fat32 formatted drive into a new AutoScript directory.

Followed the rest of the instructions using the ISO2DSD method and hey presto!!

ELLA & Louis - Autumn In New York ripped. B|:D

I have not tried the sacd_extract command line option yet.

I think it would be good to document this in a PDF if someone has not already done this.

15 hours ago, CatManDo said:

Congratulations, Sound Man :)

"ELLA & Louis - Autumn In New York" is not such a good choice for ripping though, since it has been sourced from CDs, like almost all of the Top Music SACD releases.

Really? So why do they claim that the recording is from a 32bit 192kHz Master?

21 minutes ago, Sound Man said:

Really? So why do they claim that the recording is from a 32bit 192kHz Master?

How can any of those be true when they only recorded on low quality analog tape that was run through a tape recorder that had a max of 15khz frequencies and about 7 bit dynamic range?

Hi all, just wanted to say "Thanks" to ted_b and the others here.  Successfully ripping using Oppo BDP-105D!

(firmare version BDP-10X-83-0715)

I'm excited about my SACD's again! I have a decent computer-based rig (TEAC UD-301, Schiit Mjolnir, Sennheiser HD-800) and can finally enjoy my SACD music there!  I also like to make my own playlists of best-available digital files to play via USB on home system to alternate with full-album plays.

Also, wanted to bring up that a couple days ago when I fired up the Oppo to play a movie, I was notified that a firmware update was available.  I cancelled the update, afraid that it might remove the ability to rip.  Anyone have information on the new Oppo firmware?

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, BlueSkyy said:

My Studer A80 2-inch tape deck on which many masters were recorded takes exception to you calling it low quality :).

I have the EXACT same tape machine... mine is in great shape but still cant compete with my cheap Sony PCM-D100 with an earthworks microphone.  It also takes a TON of work to keep it in good shape and calibration.

12 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Gents,

This thread is miles long.  Could someone please repost the link to SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?  My search comes up empty.  I just ordered a BDP-80FD.  Many thanks.

PS - I believe I found it going thru post by post

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273ebah/SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?dl=0

This thread is miles long and many of the links in this thread are dead.

Is this BDP160 ZIP file linked file in drop box all I need to rip with the Pioneer BDP-80FD? I'm getting an 80FD but as the links are dead I do not have the proper naming scheme/directions for ripping the ISO with the BDP80.
(ie Do I need to rename the BDP160 ZIP file to use with the BDP80 and what else is required? Live links are fine if no one wants to re-post directions here.)

Hello Hellenback.  You and I are in the same boat for now, as I won't have mine until tomorrow.  However, I spent a good bit of time going thru these posts yesterday, and here are the important things I discovered:

1.  Yes, many declare you need the BDP160 variant of the Autoscript folder for the USB drive.  At a minimum there were some buffering tweaks added to the code for this device.  I pasted that link from posts in this thread, but I cannot vouch for the content.  I recommend using this link from Ted's long post on the third page of this thread https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnpma48ceil80w5/AABdmZyVGf8PTo5mq3kRLIEOa?dl=0.

2.  Here are some instructions HiRezGuy added for the BDP-80FD https://www.dropbox.com/s/13mq5pihw0enoqy/SACD Image Creation Process for Pioneer BDP-80FD.txt?dl=0.  I'm not persuaded we need to set up the WiFi connection with WPS and fixed IP since his instructions do not make use of sacd.cmd, but he asserts them with confidence from experience.

3.  Some found the BDP-80FD is likely to fail reading hybrids and exchanged for the now much more expensive Oppo 103 with its superior build quality.

I'm getting my BDP-80FD tomorrow, and I'll check back with actual findings when I have some.  Good luck.

On 04/05/2017 at 3:49 PM, elikesithires said:

Hi all, just wanted to say "Thanks" to ted_b and the others here.  Successfully ripping using Oppo BDP-105D!

(firmare version BDP-10X-83-0715)

I'm excited about my SACD's again! I have a decent computer-based rig (TEAC UD-301, Schiit Mjolnir, Sennheiser HD-800) and can finally enjoy my SACD music there!  I also like to make my own playlists of best-available digital files to play via USB on home system to alternate with full-album plays.

Also, wanted to bring up that a couple days ago when I fired up the Oppo to play a movie, I was notified that a firmware update was available.  I cancelled the update, afraid that it might remove the ability to rip.  Anyone have information on the new Oppo firmware?

See my first post above. ^_^ SUCCESSFUL RIPPING WITH AN OPPO BDP-105EU ON FIRMWARE 10XEU-83-1226

I doubt there will be any further releases of the software for the BDP-10x series so the 10XEU-83-1226 is a safe bet. 

Thank you to ted_b and all who contributed to the procedure! It's unbelievable (in a good way) I'm able to do something with all these SACDs I was stockpiling in the early 2000s. I first heard DSD in the studio during a Telarc session and was blown away. A big proponent of the high res audio movement early on, it eventually lost steam over the next several years as the format was mostly considered dead. Now the ability to rip and play directly on my 851N has only made me purchase many more! 

I have read every post (all 80 pages!) and feel like I deserve something for that. Anyway what I will do is reiterate a few recurring problems and answers to common questions to help those new to the process. 

Flash drive troubleshooting: You're sure you have the files correct on the flash drive, with the correct extensions and inside the autoscript folder yet it's still not working? Try another flash drive! My first one didn't work, but the second did. If the drawer doesn't pop open, it's time to try something else! There are many threads here with screenshots on what your autoscript folder should look like. There are several threads about the formatting of the flash drive. Use a PC to do this, or a PC emulator on Mac. Perhaps avoid large capacity drives. The autoscript folder takes up well under 1GB. 

Once you have the flash drive ready, connect a PC directly to your SACD player (you do not need a crossover cable). I used an older laptop I could leave setup in the living room for a few days. My wife didn't mind! Anyway use a TV to locate the IP address of the unit and modify the SACD.cmd script using Notepad to put in the correct IP address. Do NOT include any extra zeros. Then, continue with the instructions, getting out to terminal / DOS. Once you're in DOS navigate to the correct directory with all these files and type sacd.cmd to start the process. Don't forget Doskey, which allows you to use arrows to repeat text input just in case you make a goof getting to the right directory, etc. What if you don't know DOS? Keep reading... 

Put the SACD_extract folder in the root directory (C:\). Then here's the exact play by play: 

1) Windows menu -> run command -> type "cmd" -> press enter

2) At the command prompt type cd:\ -> press enter

this puts your directory at C:\

3) Type CD \SACD_extract -> press enter

4) Now type sacd.cmd -> press enter

After a few seconds the disc info will come up, then start copying the data to the same SACD_extract directory 

5) When done you'll get the message, "We are done..." 

6) Now you can pop out the disc, put in another, wait about 10 seconds and repeat steps 4-5 for all your SACDs. 

7) When done, type exit -> press enter to get back to Windows 

What players work to extract SACDs? These are the ONLY known and confirmed-working units: 

Pioneer BDP-160

Pioneer BDP-170

Pioneer BDP-80FD

Oppo 103, 103D

Oppo 105, 105D

Arcam UDP411

Arcam CDS 27

Cambridge Audio CXU

None of these manufacturers have locked out the ripping capability yet. It's not likely they will but be cautious about upgrading your firmware just in case. 

If you're in a bigger city be sure to check craigslist for these players. I found a very inexpensive Oppo 103 (~$300) on Chicago craigslist to do this! Now that the 20x series of Oppo players are out, people are upgrading and selling off their 10x units. 

Cheers.