IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

1 hour ago, fred sonnen said:

Hallo

I am new to this forum.

Thanks to this forum (!) I bought many moon's ago a Pioneer BDP160 to rip SACD.

Today I got my first Blu-ray Audio Disc full of 24 bit / 96 kHz audio files. These I would like to have on my Audio Server.... Is this possible? if yes how?

The Pioneer is located within my Network. Ping works.Telnet does'nt ;-(

I just pluged the SACD rip USB-stick at the Pioneer. But that does'nt help...

Greetings

F.S.

As @CatManDo says, this thread us about ripping SACD discs via Oppo, Pioneer,etc. players.

Those players will not be capable of ripping BDs to a PC, because there are no available methods for circumventing the HDCP DRM in HDMI.

To rip BDs, a PC BD drive (these are cheap) is necessary together with decrypting and ripping software.  I recommend MakeMKV, which is free for a lengthy trial, then costs $50 for a perpetual license if you wish to keep it.

2 hours ago, fred sonnen said:

Today I got my first Blu-ray Audio Disc full of 24 bit / 96 kHz audio files.

2 hours ago, fred sonnen said:

I just pluged the SACD rip USB-stick at the Pioneer. But that does'nt help...

Blu-ray disks are not SACD disks. This thread is about ripping SACDs. You can follow this threads:

This old article doesn't refer new tools but it can also help:

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

thanks so far.

I know this is a sacd ripping thread. My thought where here are all the experts and perhaps there is a way / simple ad on from sacd to BRA ripping ;-)

Seams not to be the case ;-(

Is this  explanation also true for just simple BR-audio disc's. The disc I have stores just audio files. There are no videos on it....

Greetings

F.S.

11 minutes ago, fred sonnen said:

Is this  explanation also true for just simple BR-audio disc's.

It should work. The forum page you linked contains more ways how to reach the result. Just try it and post your result in the correct thread. Blu-ray and SACD disk formats are not similar.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
27 minutes ago, fred sonnen said:

thanks so far.

I know this is a sacd ripping thread. My thought where here are all the experts and perhaps there is a way / simple ad on from sacd to BRA ripping ;-)

Is this  explanation also true for just simple BR-audio disc's. The disc I have stores just audio files. There are no videos on it....

Greetings

F.S.

BD ripping uses different hardware and software than SACD, as is clear.  But, in some ways there are parallels.  The BD ripping process must first decrypt the disc to an unlocked standard format, and two are common: BD ISO format or MKV format.  Several software tools exist to extract to ISO.  Only MakeMKV will generate an MKV.  Those formats are playable from a PC, but individual chapters=tracks are not accessable.

The software you linked to can extract individual chapters from either the ISO or MKV.

Sorry to divert the thread, but this should give you some idea of where to look for more info on BD ripping.  So, let's now get this thread back on the topic of SACD ripping.

54 minutes ago, fred sonnen said:

thanks so far.

Greetings

F.S.

Actually, there is really nothing like BluRay-audio disks. If you have a "BR pure audio" like the ones from 2l.no, they actually include a blank video track with high quality audio. But they also include 96/24 audio files which you may just copy out without any special trick or software. If you want to rip and decrypt the full BluRay, then MakeMKV is probably the only way. It is free and makes copies of any BR disk. Including those "PureAudio" disks.

7 hours ago, Robert van Diggele said:

Why? Is the ripped iso different when made with an Oppo or Pioneer?

The iso should be the same. The Oppo is just such a great machine backed up by a great company (which is  located close to me).  Nothing wrong that I am aware of with the Pio though.  I have an Oppo 103 and an old Pio DV58-AV (no USB, no networking) which is modded to play back SACD-R discs.  However, using the Oppo 103's SMB capability, I play all my tunes across my home network from my PC.  If  @kenval prefers to sell his Oppo 103D and get the Pio 160 and Oppo 203, then that's what he should do.

27 minutes ago, fred sonnen said:

If this is the case with my BRA ( Strauss- analouge years) disc, how do I get these files with a conneced BDP-160?

I don't know this disc. You can always try to read the disk in a BluRay drive on a computer and search for some .flac or .wav or (in the worse case) .mp3 on it. But you will need MakeMKV to make a decrypted copy of the disk if you want to extract from the real BluRay .m2ts files.

The disks from 2l.no include the so-called "mShuttle" which you may use to export files even from a BluRay player. This includes the FLAC or MP3 files as mentioned above.

1 hour ago, wanthalf said:

The disks from 2l.no include the so-called "mShuttle" which you may use to export files even from a BluRay player. This includes the FLAC or MP3 files as mentioned above.

Same for the LSOLive BDAs.  Unfortunately, only the stereo tracks are available and many of us need the multichannel ones. >:(

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

7 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Same for the LSOLive BDAs.  Unfortunately, only the stereo tracks are available and many of us need the multichannel ones. >:(

Right. MakeMKV can rip the M2TS files. But what can be extracted from those, and played on a PC? Any sort of multichannel FLAC? How to send it to an AVR through HDMI or any other digital channel from a PC, then?

15 minutes ago, wanthalf said:

Right. MakeMKV can rip the M2TS files. But what can be extracted from those, and played on a PC? Any sort of multichannel FLAC? How to send it to an AVR through HDMI or any other digital channel from a PC, then?

Dunno with any certainty.  I fiddled with this a while back and got some playable files but left it behind until I finish ripping all my SACDs.   Then I'll tackle the BDs and BDAs.  

If m-Shuttle supported multichannel, it would be a piece-of-cake.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

7 hours ago, riskylogic said:

DVD Audio Extractor can be used to generate both stereo and multichannel FLACs.  Usually, anyway.  I have run into a couple of ripped discs recently where the only option was mono.  

DVDAE takes the lowest number of channels in the output selection. Some blu rays have a mono track at the end, most likely a track of only a few seconds. Because of this the whole selection will be ripped as mono.

best option is to deselect that last track and then the stereo and multichannel options in the output screen should be available.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:46 PM, fred sonnen said:

If this is the case with my BRA ( Strauss- analouge years) disc, how do I get these files with a conneced BDP-160?

You don't.  You get a BluRay-capable computer disc drive (an external one connected by USB, or install an internal one)  and rip it from that, using decrypting and ripping software.    Ripping BluRay is nothing like the SACD process described in this thread, they use different hardware and software.  

Guys, I need help.

I desperately need a Blue-ray player to rip my favorite SACDs at modest price. It is so hard for me to find a Pioneer BDP-160 or BDP170 nowadays. 

I live in UK, anyone knows any potential sellers that have any stock of Pioneer BDP160/170? 

Or has anyone found any other new model (not discontinued) for SACD ripping?

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

26 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

I live in UK, anyone knows any potential sellers that have any stock of Pioneer BDP160/170?

took me three months to finally find a BDP-170 :|

a friend, in UK, just got one too so... keep hunting ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

6 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

took me three months to finally find one :|

a friend, in UK, just got one so... keep hunting ;)

I know! There were one bdp170, two bdp160s sold on ebay UK recently. I neither won the auction nor fast enough to check the item out. :(

I'm also happy to pay some money to borrow it from anyone who is willing to lend it to me if possible.

Oppo 103 and Cambridge audio CXU are just too expensive for the purpose of SACD ripping alone. But that might be my last option. :(

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

Just now, fred sonnen said:

how many SACD's do you have?

perhaps you can do the other way around? someone is ripping the discs for you?

Embarrassing enough, I only have two albums I want to rip (Other SACDs I have either there are some being ripped and shared on the internet or I bought the digital DSD version)

I know there is a SACD ripping service, but that's in US. Please do share if you know any SACD ripping service based in UK. :)

Just now, louisxiawei said:

Embarrassing enough, I only have two albums I want to rip (Other SACDs I have either there are some being ripped and shared on the internet or I bought the digital DSD version)

I know there is a SACD ripping service, but that's in US. Please do share if you know any SACD ripping service based in UK. :)

Perhaps there is a Pioneer BDP-80FD (US equivalent of the BDP-160) available to you somewhere?  Or whatever the Asian equivalent may be?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.