IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

20 hours ago, mindset said:

Alternatively, if you are using the server mode, you can remove the USB stick once sacd_extract is loaded by the player .   sacd_extract will keep running even after ripping or sleep as long as quick start mode is enabled.  There will no problem with sequential ripping.

That worked, I just ripped 2 discs consecutively after having removed the USB thumb drive. Upon waking the machine from sleep when the 1st rip was complete using the open tray button, it did not immediately close again like it did previously when I had left the USB stick in the S5100's port.

So that will be my Sony S5100 procedure using the server method:

• Boot machine, insert USB stick/run script, remove USB stick once script is read/tray opens, load disc to be ripped/close tray
  • Place machine in sleep mode, execute rip with ISO2DSD, wait for rip to complete
  • Wake machine with tray open button, swap the next disc to be ripped into tray/close, sleep machine again, execute the next rip.

No monitor/HDMI cable/on-screen display is necessary for the above.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 5/10/2018 at 2:11 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

I have never tried to use the rear USB on my S590 for ripping.  If you get it to work, let us know.

I got the rear panel USB port on the S5100 to work normally.

I think the issue was simply due to booting up the machine with the USB drive already in the port, like I have always done with both the Pioneer BDP-80fd, and Cambridge CXU.

For whatever reason the Sony did not react well to that, however the rear panel USB port works normally if I just wait for the machine to complete it's boot up sequence and reach the home menu, before inserting the USB thumb drive.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I have successfully ripped about 50 older SACDs. These are single layer meant to be played only on an SACD player. Of that group, 3 failed using the telnet with sacd_extract_160 files. I have seen a reference to some SACDs not working with sacd_extract_160. Can someone provide some insight into how to deal with this issue? Is there another version of sacd_extract that would read these discs?

Here's the screen shot.

That looks like a classic case of foreign diacritical mark trouble, i.e., accented characters.

Look at the bizarro mark that replaces the accented e in Saint-Saëns in the error message.  That's what the program is choking on.

PROCEDURE FOR ACCENTED CHARACTERS
If there are accented characters in the ISO name such as ö, ü, é, ñ, the PuTTY window might display "invalid argument" and ripping will not start. Here is a workaround:
• Re-paste the command ./sacd_extract_160 –I
• Add one space after –I and type two straight quotation marks
• Copy or type the ISO (album) name directly in between the quotation marks
• Delete the accented characters and type non-accented characters into the ISO name
• Hit Enter to start the SACD ripping process.

Yes, each of the three albums had a an accented character and the workaround did the trick. Added note: I had a problem with the product of the telnet session to another of the old SACDs. ISO2DSF would not process the ISO to produce the dsf files. Fixed that issue by using the sacd_extract_gui from SourceForge with the latest version of sacd_extract. Worked fine that way.

So I think that takes care of all those single layer SACDs. Did not think I would ever get that done, and indeed, would not have without all the help from this forum. Bravo with special thanks to Phthalocyanine!

@hfl

Glad we could help.

The accented character thing reminded me that, as much as I love the command line, this is one area where the iso2DSD GUI interface method is easier.  I just had the same problem ripping a disc which had Bartók in the title.  Yes that Hungarian accent over the 'o' tripped it up and I had to specify a new title to get it work, as in the work-around method I described above.  I tried the same disc with the server method and iso2DSD and while the scrolling printout indicated that the character was strange: Bart�k, it went ahead and ripped it anyway.  Furthermore, the title on the .iso file it produced in Windows has the perfect accented ó.

Someone had the problem recently with Björk - Icelandic accent mark over the o.

I have not systematically looked into which accent marks trip it up.  For those of you who have used the command line with many classical records, does it choke on relatively normal accents marks for French like à á è é ê?

8 hours ago, hfl said:

I have successfully ripped about 50 older SACDs. These are single layer meant to be played only on an SACD player. Of that group, 3 failed using the telnet with sacd_extract_160 files. I have seen a reference to some SACDs not working with sacd_extract_160. Can someone provide some insight into how to deal with this issue? Is there another version of sacd_extract that would read these discs?

I believe you are doing local ripping on the player side.  For local ripping, It seems special characters are not handled properly because character code conversion doesn't work properly on the player side (you are probably seeing a bunch of error messages regarding this).  If you rip a disc in the server mode, character conversion happens on the client side in which case character codes are most likely translated properly.  At least that's what I have seen and here are some of the ripping results without any special treatment:

image.thumb.png.8f5d166df6507b4be882b9c5ddf9d5b2.png

I use Linux exclusively for ripping.  I am not sure about Windows.

35 minutes ago, mindset said:

I am not sure about Windows.

Yes iso2DSD in Windows using the server method can handle the special characters.  That's what I was trying to say in my previous post.

36 minutes ago, mindset said:

use Linux exclusively for ripping.

By the way, what software do you use for your server method ripping under Linux?

37 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Yes iso2DSD in Windows using the server method can handle the special characters.  That's what I was trying to say in my previous post.

Thanks. So, it looks like the special character issue exists only in local ripping.

38 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

By the way, what software do you use for your server method ripping under Linux?

I use sacd_extract.

Hi guys,

sorry to ask you this.
I read the topic from the beginning trying to undertstand everything, but I am still a little confused >_<

I first thought I could use my SONY BDP-S790 (from page 110 of the topic). I was able to connect with Telnet, but nothing more. And I discovered later this player is not working for ripping SACD (thanks to the wonderful work from @dtblair, thx to him).

Then I read the BDP-S590 and BDP-S490, and I can access to one of these model in 2 weeks, so I will try.
But with all the AutoScript file version around, sacd_extract..., and the different tutorial, I finally don't know which ones to use, and how.

Could someone explain me ?

Thank you very much, in advance for helping me, and for this wonderful topic and all the work done. :)

PS: sorry for my english mistakes, I am not fluent as I would :P

I am just about to start this process. Here's my question, regarding these instructions:

• The download location should be a new folder in the ROOT of your chosen drive*. This is important, as it is common for rips to fail without explanation due to excessively long path names (The file name for each track is taken from the metadata stored on the SACD, over which you have no control. Such file names can be very long, especially for classical music). For the same reason, the folder name should be short, e.g. SACD. Naming the folder as ‘SACD’ also makes sense, as ISO2DSD always stores rips in subfolders within its own folder (you can’t change this behaviour).

My question is -- are we supposed to download the entire zip file (unzipped) to the c drive, or all the unzipped files, or just some of the fiels? And yes i know it needs to go to a folder I've created in the c drive. I'll probably just name it SACD, since I'm so very creative like that. ;)

David B

12 minutes ago, David_B said:

I am just about to start this process. Here's my question, regarding these instructions:

• The download location should be a new folder in the ROOT of your chosen drive*. This is important, as it is common for rips to fail without explanation due to excessively long path names (The file name for each track is taken from the metadata stored on the SACD, over which you have no control. Such file names can be very long, especially for classical music). For the same reason, the folder name should be short, e.g. SACD. Naming the folder as ‘SACD’ also makes sense, as ISO2DSD always stores rips in subfolders within its own folder (you can’t change this behaviour).

My question is -- are we supposed to download the entire zip file (unzipped) to the c drive, or all the unzipped files, or just some of the fiels? And yes i know it needs to go to a folder I've created in the c drive. I'll probably just name it SACD, since I'm so very creative like that. ;)

That specific instruction is only related to the downloading of ISO2DSD, not the AutoScript.zip file.

zip files are used to "transport" sets of files between systems.  They typically aren't used as zip files.

You must "unpack" or "unzip" or "expand" the zip file in an empty sub-directory, so that the original files are presented with their original names and relative hierarchical directory groupings.

You then move the set of "unzipped" files to their new desired location if they aren't already there.

Don't be changing any names.

1 hour ago, sefischer1 said:

zip files are used to "transport" sets of files between systems.  They typically aren't used as zip files.

You must "unpack" or "unzip" or "expand" the zip file in an empty sub-directory, so that the original files are presented with their original names and relative hierarchical directory groupings.

You then move the set of "unzipped" files to their new desired location if they aren't already there.

Don't be changing any names.

So, I  drag all the unzipped files to my root drive? Or just the ISO2DSD app file?

54 minutes ago, David_B said:

So, I  drag all the unzipped files to my root drive? Or just the ISO2DSD app file?

It doesn't matter where you initially store the unzipped AutoScript.zip files. What does matter is how you then transfer them to a USB memory stick. That is fully described in my procedure.

Hi all,   Need HELPI used Sony BDP-S590 to and  encountered error highlighted in red.  Highlighted in blue is what I change in the AutoScript. 

USB Memory Stick – root directory – Setup AutoScript and AutoScriptSACD folder as follows:-

AutoScript

#

#CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)

#

#CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract /)

#CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract -S &)

#

#CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

CLI(CLI_exec cp `ls -d /mnt/sd*`/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)    

CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)

#

# Typical for Server Mode but optional in either case:

# Uncomment the following line to cause tray to open

#CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

AutoScrip.TSS

#

#CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)

#

#CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract /)

#CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract -S &)

#

#CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

CLI(CLI_exec cp `ls -d /mnt/sd*`/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)

#

# Typical for Server Mode but optional in either case:

# Uncomment the following line to cause tray to open

#CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

Putty 

sony-player login: root

/mnt # cd /mnt/

/mnt # ls

3rd_data         nand_03_0        rootfs_enc_it    sde1

custom_app_data  nand_14_0        rootfs_it        ubi_boot

log_data         rootfs_enc       rootfs_normal