IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Do you love SACD / DSD sound? I do and always have.

Why is there so much negativity about it on the other sites?

Whenever it is mentioned, people say it's just remastering, or DSD is fundamentally flawed, or it's a placebo affect.

To me it's night and day with transparency, bass clarity, speed, far better defined images, lack-of-fatigue in the highs, no digital shrillness,

analog-like-advantages, and on and on.

But there is real, almost hostile pushback, and I just don't understand it.

Yep, PCM processing has come a long way, and I love what my Chord DAVE does with PCM (and it also does a fine job with native DSD, thankfully), but there is nothing like DSD to these ears.

I sure hope the format stays alive in some capacity.

This new method of turning SACDs into files is a Godsend, and I would hope it revives DSD to some degree. Hope springs eternal you know. But it won't happen if there is all this criticism of it. I just don't get how the audiophile community could be so critical of something that just sounds so great. I guess there is no accounting for taste, but do others in this thread hear what I have always heard from DSD?

Thanks for any comments.

So as not to disrupt this thread, please reply to this new thread I created for this topic here:

OK, I thought of starting a new thread for it, but I felt this was the thread where DSD fans would congregate, so point taken.

I did agonize over going off on a tangent here I have to admit. It's just that this is so important, I felt it was worth it. I am sorry for disrupting the subject.

If people here think my post was inappropriate, please let me know and I'll shift it to an independent thread.

OK , here is the thread for this subject:

Thanks for any responses. I feel this is an important subject that is related to this thread.

28 minutes ago, HenkNZ said:

I just read Dick Darlington's post!  Awesome.  Now.... Why can I not get my Oppo 103 to work with my Mac?  I am close to giving up.

Anyone with a set of working Oppo and Mac instruction that they can share?

I'm afraid you're going to have to be a little more specific about what problem you're running into with your 103 and your Mac - like what step are you stuck on?

@Dick Darlington indeed, great set of instructions!

One small addition to your bit about formatting USB drives with a Mac. You are quite right that MS-DOS will work in many cases, and that the current version of macOS no longer shows "FAT32" as an option. However, MS-DOS is FAT16 formatting and that's limited to 4GB drives/volumes. For larger volumes you need FAT32 - and macOS actually does still do this, but they've changed the name to exFAT for some reason. So it is still available.

I mention this because I've gone to format some drives recently in PC/Windows format on my Mac, and "MS-DOS" was greyed out as an option (because the discs were well over 4GB in size). I finally noticed the exFAT option and all was well.

Yes, indeed, I need to be more specific.

The USB stick opens the tray on the Oppo.  I have also added the Oppo to my Ethernet network and took off the wireless adaptor for this. I can see the Oppo IP address on my network, next to my Mac using network mapping software.  I am using latest macOS, btw.  From this I assumed that the USB device was formatted properly and the scripts were working.  When I then run the sonore gui it returns Failed to connect, cant open for reading..  

3 hours ago, HenkNZ said:

I just read Dick Darlington's post!  Awesome.  Now.... Why can I not get my Oppo 103 to work with my Mac?  I am close to giving up.

Anyone with a set of working Oppo and Mac instruction that they can share?

You haven't confirmed any settings in @Dick Darlington excellent post, how are we to know what you've tried or ignored??

Not mind readers. Anyway you couldn't have read all the instructions to the letter, your screenshot shows direct to Sony DSF. Set this to ISO.  Details!!

The USB stick partitioning and formatting is super critical, did you do this? Details!!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

While his post was excellent, the specifics in @Dick Darlington's post apply primarily to the Sony player, not the Oppo.  There may be some useful takeaways there, just don't expect to follow those steps to the letter with an Oppo and expect success; if nothing else the script files are slightly different.

While I agree that ripping to ISO makes more sense than converting to individual DSF files, it should have no impact on whatever the fundamental problem @HenkNZ is having getting the computer and the Oppo to talk with each other.

If the disc drawer opens with the USB stick inserted, then setup on the Oppo side is most likely good and the issue is probably going to turn out to network configuration (the player and computer on different subnets, for example) or computer configuration (a software firewall blocking a port that needs to be open, for example).  I'm not a Mac guy, so I really have nothing to offer in terms of specific suggestions there.  Is there a Windows PC or laptop available that could be used for testing purposes to see if you can rip to that?  If so, that could help isolate the problem to the Mac or the home network.  What's the IP address of the PC? If it isn't 192.168.1.xxx, then that might be the problem as the Oppo probably needs to be on the same subnet as the computer.

Oppo BDP-103, BDP-103D, BDP-105, and BDP-105D are all interchangeable for this task, so having a BDP-103D definitely isn't the problem.

Ok, so have also checked my Oppo.  It is 103D version.  I do not know if it has the same chipset as the 103.  My unit is in firmware 83-1226.  This may also be an issue.  

1. USB drive is a 2GB one, formatted to FAT32 with MBR partitioning.
  2. When I insert the USB, I can see on my TV that it says Open after about 3 seconds.  The tray opens and I load the disk, then hit close.
  3. I can see that my Mac and the Oppo are all on the same subnet: 192.168.1.73 and 76 respectively. Mask is 255.255.255.0.
  4. Using a network inspection tool on the Mac I can see that the ping to the Oppo is 2ms.  It is there and responds at that level.
  5. On the Mac, the software is on a second volume, not the OS volume and in a directory at the root of that volume with a short name (SACD).
  6. In response to another message above, I followed the Word document that I found in a linked Dropbox folder for setting up he Sonore software.  
  7. When I use wireless (Mac and Oppo on a wireless network) I find that when I hit execute it takes a few seconds before I get the message above.
  8. When I use the ethernet connection, the result is immediate.
  9. I have a Surface tablet that runs Windows 10.  I had no success from there.
  10. I have a Windows 7 VM - no success from there.
I am hoping that this will help others like myself that are very new to this sort of stuff.  
10 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

4. Misinterpretation of “autoload workaround” instructions
(IOW: I’ve been stupid so you don’t need to.??‍♂️)

I completely misunderstood (to the point of getting it arse backwards) Mr. P’s explanation of his fortuitous (and impressively so!) discovery of the autoload workaround.  I was believing that after toggling between 2-channel and multi-channel in Music Settings but before starting the rip, the disk had to be reinserted in order for the change invoked by the toggle step to take affect.  But in fact the rip operation can be done immediately after the toggle, but will not work after reinserting a disk unless and until the Music Settings toggle step is repeated.

Takeaway:  Starting from the point where the sacd_extract server is running on the player and the inserted disk has been autoloaded: toggle the setting in Music Settings and then proceed with the rip via sacd_extract or if you prefer, iso2dsd. The toggle action must be repeated immediately after each subsequent disk insertion.

I've got a Sony BDP-S590 running fw M12.R.0430.  I'm able to get Telnet working.  I can't seem to get the server running on my S590 Which sacd_extract file are you using on the player?  When I used used the Pioneer instructions/file which I think I am supposed to do, running ./sacd_extract_160 -S and it gave me an error similar to below. 

On 2/14/2018 at 6:37 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

insmod: can't insert '/tmp/filevKgrMe': invalid module format
[0]: install_modules: mknod/insmod filed
rmmod: can't unload 'sacd_read': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
[0]: Can not install modules

I had run the sacd_extract_160 after changing the music setting as described. 

Also - to be sure, I tried the oppo ./sacd_extract -S, I got a libiconv.so.2 missing error.

I used the telnet AutoScript files as mentioned by Dick.  Which sacd extract did y'all use to get it to work?

Thanks,

Joey

@n2it

Check the text of the files in your folders.

The AutoScript folder has two files, Autoscript and Autoscript.TSS, both of which have the following content if you open them up in Notepad (or another text editor):

#MTKAT 0.xx script
CLI(CLI_exec echo root::0:0:root,,,:/root:/bin/sh >/etc/passwd)
CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/telnetd &)
SLEEPMS(3000)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start)
SLEEPMS(5000)

The AutoscriptSACD folder has three files, Autoscript, Autoscript.TSS, and sacd_extract_160.

The Autoscript and Autoscript.TSS files both have the following content if you open them up in Notepad (or another text editor):

#MTKAT 0.xx script
CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)
CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

sacd_extract_160 is the correct executable file for the Sony BDP-S590.

8 hours ago, HenkNZ said:

Ok, so have also checked my Oppo.  It is 103D version.  I do not know if it has the same chipset as the 103.  My unit is in firmware 83-1226.  This may also be an issue.

As I wrote in the post immediately before yours, the BDP-103D is fine.  ALL of the BDP-10x players (with and without the "D" suffix) use the same MediaTek SOC, which is what matters for this SACD ripping trick.  Having a BDP-103D definitely is not a problem - I've been using a BDP-105D for ripping, which is a BDP-103D with better analog audio capabilities.  The firmware version also is not an issue.

One thing I'm not sure I've seen mentioned in your posts: did you turn auto play OFF on the Oppo?  If not, that could be the problem.

@Phthalocyanine @Dick Darlington

Thanks for you help!  I figured out my problem. 

When I first tried, I had inserted the disk and couldn't get it to work on the first try - and eventually the player turned off automatically.  When I restarted (with all the right files), instead of taking the disc out, I left it in.  I did then the music setting toggle and it didn't work (gave me an error).  Finally I had to actually start the disc playing, then toggled the settings and ran the extract program and it worked.  (I finally have my MOFI Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms SACD ripped in DSD! and using a $40 Sony BDP-S590)

Of course, it also worked if I inserted the disk, toggled the setting and ran the extract program.

So if you leave the disc in and restart without re-inserting it, you need to start it playing first.  

8 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The third line launches the executable program telnetd, which is located in the directory path /usr/sbin.  So if the text in the dropbox file you used inetd instead that’s something different from what I got, and by editing it you got it back to what I’ve been using.

But interesting enough according to Wikipedia

Often called a super-server, inetd listens on designated ports used by Internet services such as FTP, POP3, and telnet. When a TCP packet or UDP packet arrives with a particular destination port number, inetd launches the appropriate server program to handle the connection.

As you note in your take-away, launching inetd could conceivably work on some systems, but not, it seems, the Sony BDP-S590. 

@Phthalocyanine thank you and thanks for the additional info.

Until this morning, I have wrongly believed that the Telnet method is not possible on the Oppo for some reason I knew not what.  My first attempts with the Oppo last year were unsuccessful until I aborted the Telnet method and went with the server method.  I *think* I remember finding a post around that time stating that the Oppos don't have Telnet available.  

Maybe I dreamt it; I don't know but I subsequently posted that bit of misinformation myself many months ago, and so if anyone comes across that, please ignore

I decided to revisit it this morning and lo and behold Telnet works beautifully on the Oppo after all.  It even displays the scrolling "ABCDEFG..." just as stated in @ted_b's instructions.  One thing I forgot to mention in my post yesterday was that the scrolling letters don't manifest on the Sony S590; at least not for me.  What I get instead is the display set to all zeroes, i.e. "0000".

However, as it turns out the Oppo does in fact require the "inetd" in the script and NOT "telnetd" as in the Sony's case.  The Oppo contains both the inetd and telnetd binaries in /usr/sbin whereas the Sony has only telnetd.  I looked at the running processes on the Oppo and both inetd and telnetd are running by the time I logon as root; so apparently the former ends up launching the latter. Try as I might I could not set up the script to launch telnetd directly on the Oppo though.  I am guessing it requires so command line options that are supplied automatically by inetd.

Soooo ... I set up a Telnet method USB stick that works for both players by including both daemon launch lines with a 1 second wait in between as follows:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec echo root::0:0:root,,,:/root:/bin/sh >/etc/passwd)
CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/inetd &)
SLEEPMS(1000)
CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/telnetd &)
SLEEPMS(3000)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start)
SLEEPMS(5000)

I then have a second folder, "SACD_Extract" at the root level containing both "sacd_extract" (for the Oppo) and "sacd_extract_160" (for the Sony) and finally a set of text files corresponding to each that I can "cat" in the terminal window to jog my memory in regard to subsequent commands I need to enter.

@HenkNZ, I am a loss for suggestions beyond what others have already offered for your case other than you might want to try the Telnet route so that you can manually run sacd_extract on the player side to confirm that it runs okay and then to see if it reacts in anyway when you try and connect with iso2dsd from your Mac.  The caveat here is that Apple decided to protect us all from ourselves and took the telnet client away from us in High Sierra so you will need to find a PuTTY like alternative for your Mac first if you want to go down that path.  Whatever the problem is you can bet it's something really simple.  It always is.  In hindsight anyway.  Good luck!