IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

In the real world, release notes only list major changes. It's quite plausible that less significant changes won't be listed at all.

To be fair to Oppo, when they removed ISO file support from their 93/95 players by firmware update, it was listed in the changelog, although ISO support was not an advertised feature of the players.

Concerning the risk of having SACD ripping removed/prevented in future firmware, I'm not sure this will happen.

ISO file support was removed because of Blu-ray, not SACD. The pressure came from the movie industry

On the other hand, SACD-R disc support was never removed from the Oppo 93/95 by firmware update, although it is also linked to SACD ripping.

Claude

Will the 101 work regarding ripping SACDs?

Probably not.

According this page, the Oppo 101 has a Mediatek MT8555 chip

Pete's Write: OPPO BDT-101Ci review

So far ripping has only been done with players using the Mediatek MT8580 or MT8560.

Anyway, having one of those two chips is no guarantee ripping will work, as the Pioneer 180 has shown.

So I would only get a player which has been confirmed to work.

Claude

• 2 weeks later...
Actrally I'm not sure my player run with Mediatek chip, but I telnet to the player, it show: mtk8530, and success to login with root.

Is it mean my player is running with MTK8530 chip?

That's most likely the case (unless the programmers made an error with the chip model number as output by telnet)

That means you're out of luck. SACD ripping works with the MT8580 and MT8560 only.

Claude

Arcam is only CD/SACD audio player. Why then HDMI?

CDS27 - CD Player - Arcam

To output multichannel audio from SACD to a surround receiver.

There have been a few audio-only SACD/CD players which had analogue output for stereo only and digital output (HDMI) for multichannel audio from SACD. For example the Sony SCD-XA5400ES.

Today, the SACD player market is rather divided into stereo-only SACD/CD players (no digital output from SACD) and Blu-ray/SACD players with multichannel capabilities.

Claude

• 3 weeks later...

I got a Pioneer BDP-170 today, an Amazon Warehouse Deal (customer return), supposed to only have minor optical flaws.

I would have preferred a new one, but it was the only such player available at a reasonable price (below list price). I meant to buy this one first, then maybe - after my first ripping experience - an Oppo later, so that I have two payers capable of SACD ripping (because we don't know if this possibility will ever come back with future players)

I actually didn't notice any optical flaws, but the player was dead on arrival. It won't turn on.

Great quality control by Amazon ...

Claude

The Esoteric is a K07x, the bottom player in the lineup, so maybe the above is down to its (in Esoteric terms) comparatively less sophisticated optical transport.

But the transport is of extremely high quality nevertheless.

Does the Esoteric apply the same DAC filter settings to SACD and DSD input, or can different settings be applied? If the latter is the case, are the settings the same?

Claude

If you see a suitable cheap Pioneer (BDP-160, 170 or 88FD) at a reasonable price, grab it, because these players are now getting very rare.

My first order of an Amazon Warehouse Deal BDP-170 ended up in getting a dead machine. A german store which is listed in all the shopping engines as the only store being able to offer a brand new player turned out to have none, after my enquiry (they can only get customer returns). There is none on Ebay.de right now.

I now ordered another second hand hand BDP-170 -close to list price - and hope it will be fine. I will also get an Oppo 103, but I want to use that for video and music playback as well, so I would like to update the firmware if necessary, which at some point could stop SACD ripping functions.

Claude

I just tested putting a 1.7GB SACD ISO file into a ZIP file with "maximum" compression in 7ZIP (second highest compression level), the size was reduced to 1.1GB. So it's worth trying.

If you must stick to FAT32, and you can't compress a file below 4GB, you could pack the ISO into a multi-volume archive, for example in 1GB parts.

Useful information about multi-volume archives

Claude

My only issue being that the external HDD drive I use purely for making backups of the resulting ISOs is formatted FAT32. About 10 of my ISOs so far are 4.2gb or bigger.

Is there a reason to keep FAT32? If not, using NTFS (which has many advantages over FAT32) is the obvious solution.

Claude

What fascinates me is the silence of the ripping; for those like me who have been ripping all their CD collection, it is so fun to hear no spinning noise at all !!!

All files playing on the Oppo. I use the Lumin app, and I created an openHome renderer using BubbleUpnp Server on my synology to access the Oppo from the app. It has a huge drawback : bubbleupnp is not gapless.

Since most people here are using "superior" SACD ripping machines, I can confirm that even the cheap flimsy Pioneer BDP-170 is extremely silent in the process. Only a "tock" sound can be heard when the ripping starts.

I had planned to buy a new high end ($3000-5000 range) SACD player/DAC in the near future to replace my failing old Sony XA777ES and my dated DAC, but given how smooth the ripping works, I might buy a new DSD-capable DAC only. I have 1100 SACDs currently.

Claude

Yes that's correct. I now have the files loaded correctly on the USB drive. I inserted it into my Oppo and, whataya know, the drawer opened. So, now what. I inserted an SACD and SACD came up on the Oppo display. Nothing happened. I am still not sure what to run,where it might be, and how to get it to run.

I think the basics got a bit lost in this long thread.

As an overview, the Mediatek extraction method works like this:

- By connecting the prepared USB stick, the SACD/Blu-ray player will run a program at startup that allows SACD ripping (external access to the SACD data). This program waits for instructions over the network

- So the player must be connected to the internal network. On a computer connected to the same network, the user runs a program that requests the player to extract the SACD data and copies the data (as an SACD image file) over the network onto the computer hard drive

This means that, practically

- on the player: you must connect the prepared USB stick, start the player, and then just load the SACDs that you want to rip. If you rip several SACDs, just leave the player on and load and remove the discs after each rip

- on your computer: you start the ripping process manually for each SACD by clicking the sacd.cmd file. The SACD ripping results in "artist-title.iso" SACD image files which will be in the same folder as the sacd.cmd file. The ripping progression can be seen in the black command window that opens when you click the sacd.cmd, and which closes automatically when the ripping is finished (ripping one disc takes 10 minutes or more). You can then process the ISO files (extracting individual tracks for example) or copy them elsewhere.

Putting the extraction program files on the USB stick and your computer, finding the IP address of the player on the network are standard computer procedures which have been addressed elsewhere.

Claude

You may need to edit the sacd.cmd to change the IP address (the part underlined below) to the address your Oppo received in your network (check within the Oppo network settings, use your router interface or check the properties of the Oppo as displayed in the list of network devices in windows)

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.105:2002 -P -I

Claude

However with one disc, so far, Miles David's Kind of Blue the ripping process has taken well over an hour with the MB/sec continuously decreasing as the rip progresses. Has anyone else encountered this, with this title or any other?

I have ripped more than 100 SACDs so far, and only two have been slow (around 1MB/s).

"Kind of Blue" (the first US release) was one of them.

Claude

For those who have a Pioneer BDP-170 (or similar model): How noisy is your player when spinning SACDs?

I have the impression that mine got noisier since I used it for the first time. It's a constant high pitched hum. I wouldn't be able to listen to music with that noise in the background.

I moved to player to my spare bedroom next to my router because of that (it is only connected to a network cable, as I only use it for ripping SACDs). I also placed a heavy book onto the player to stop the enclosure from vibrating, but it made little difference.

Claude