IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Simple Instructions for PC users with iso2dsd (adapted from grill's post)

1) Connect your player to your LAN according to the player's manual. Write down the IP address of your player. Check if you see your player in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC connected to the same LAN.

2) Copy the unzipped AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick. You can leave your other files on your stick.

3) Copy the iso2dsd_PC_v7 (from Sonore iso2DSD) unzipped folder files to a drive of your PC connected to your LAN. Make sure your drive has enough free space for the SACD iso(s) to be ripped.

4) Turn on your player and turn off the Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume in the Playback Setup. Connect your prepared USB stick to your player. The tray should open. You can leave your USB stick in your player or remove it.

5) Insert an SACD and close the tray. Wait until the player recognizes the disc.

6) Run iso2dsd_gui.exe from the drive on your PC. Select Server Input from topleft. Select Raw ISO as the Output Mode. Enter the IP address of your player (from Step 1) in the IP Address Port window*. Click on Execute. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

7) When dsd2iso indicates Done, eject disc and repeat from Step 5 (or click Quit).

8) Remove USB stick and reboot to return to normal player use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The options for Channel Mode and Convert DST to DSD are irrelevant for ripping to ISO. I recommend clicking on Print to see a track listing in iso2dsd before ripping begins.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Thanks to KAL and tmtomh for the step by step. I'm a bit lost on the target folder selection which seems to be missing from both descriptions.

I take it, like when using SACD_EXTRACT.EXE, where the iso2dsd_gui.exe is located, by default, a new folder is created in the same folder and the target SACD.ISO is created there?

On order is a Cambridge CXU, let's see how that works.

Yes

Kal Rubinson

There were 3 discs I could not extract iso's from with the PS3......................................

On the Oppo 105 iso's were successfully extracted from all 3

Amen. I have had a similar experience. The Philips IFA Demonstration SACD produced only unplayable ISOs with the PS3s but a successfully playable one with the Oppo 105!

Kal Rubinson

The 4CH DSF files (Quad Mix), which shows up in DbPoweramp info as 5.0 Channels instead of 5.1 will only play in 2CH on Jriver, JRiver is set to play the Source Number Of Channels. Anybody having issues with playback of Audio Fidelity 4 Channel SACD Files ?
I have JRiver set to output 5.1 for all sources to eliminate such channel issues.

Kal Rubinson

I have tried this, but this is not true Discrete 5.1 and it does it to everything, 2CH included. The source is a 4.0 CH DSF, (or as DbPowerAmp reports it as being 5.0 CH and being set to play source channels, Jriver should see it properly as it does 5.1 files you would think.
It just fills the empty channels with silence. If I set output to 5.1, 2.0 plays as stereo, 4.0 plays as quad, 5.0 plays as 5.0 and, of course, 5.1.....................................................

Of course, JRiver and your DAC will indicate 5.1 but the number of channels of sound is unchanged.

Kal Rubinson

That has not been my experience, when I turn on Output to 5.1, I am getting music out or the surround channels despite the fact that it is a 2 channel source.
Then there may be another factor/setting that is involved here because, as I said, this setting works for all my 2 channel and 4 channel recordings.

I think there is something substantially different on these Audio Fidelity SACD's that are recreating old 4 Channel mixes. I think I ran into this on the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets as well, I could not get Jriver to play the Quad Mix of Wish You Were Here properly either, the 5.1 Mix no problem. At this point, I am not sure where the problem lies.
I do not have any of those recordings but, if you can send me a track, I would be happy to try it out.

Kal Rubinson

Just out of curiosity, I tried ripping a disk without using the USB drive. That is, I just powered up the OPPO 105 and loaded a SACD in the normal fashion, executed the SACD.cmd file and the disk was ripped to an ISO file. Has anybody else tried this? So it appears the information on the USB drive is stored in the OPPO. I am wondering if is stored in permanent memory or some sort of temporary memory? What would happen after a true power outage?
It is stored in the directory from which the CMD file and SACD_extract were stored and launched.

Kal Rubinson

It is stored in the directory from which the CMD file and SACD_extract were stored and launched.
I made this post with the erroneous impression that the USB drive in question was the one that was running ISO2DSD and sacd-extract, not the one that is inserted into the drive.

Kal Rubinson

That has not been my experience, when I turn on Output to 5.1, I am getting music out or the surround channels despite the fact that it is a 2 channel source. When I choose Source Number of Channels it works perfect at detecting the number of channels to play, Just not with this particular set of DSF files. The disc was set up to re-create the original Quadraphonic recording of Best of the The Doors album from 1973. Technically it should be a 4.0 channel recording, not utilizing the center channel or the sub. If I use DBPower amp file information, it reports it as being a 5.0 channel recording, not sure what the 5th channel would be. Jriver plays this particular file in 2CH even tough I have 5 lights on on the receiver, If I switch Jriver to force 5.1 playback, it will play in 5.1, but it is not a 5.1 recording. If I set to play in 4CH mode in Jriver, it continues to only play 2 channels, and the issue is that I do not hear any missing information. I think there is something substantially different on these Audio Fidelity SACD's that are recreating old 4 Channel mixes. I think I ran into this on the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets as well, I could not get Jriver to play the Quad Mix of Wish You Were Here properly either, the 5.1 Mix no problem. At this point, I am not sure where the problem lies.
Thanks to Ted_B who sent me a 4.0 DSD ISO of Loggins and Messina. I imported it into my JRiver library and played it without making any changes in any settings. The result is that it plays as 4.0 just fine from the Left, Right, Left Surround and Right Surround speakers, just as it should.

I will now delete it.

Kal Rubinson

Kal,

Was this ripped through the Oppo or from PS3? I seem to have the same issue as the OP with the file ripped from my Opp 103.

I do not know. You will have to ask Ted_B who sent it to me. I cannot imagine that would make a difference.

Kal Rubinson

Did you play it through your computer speakers?
My computer has no internal speakers. If I play to them, there is only silence.

Computer networked to AV equipment? Sound card to AV equipment?
Nope. Nope.

I only have 2.1 at my computer and it appears to play fine there (can't really tell if it is 100% correct since I only have 2 satellite speakers and a sub) , but when networked to my AV system, it will not play at all.
Can't help you there.

Kal Rubinson

Ahhh...OK

How about......How did you play the files to verify that they played correctly?

System1: The USB output of my server feeds an exaSound 8channel DAC. The analog outputs go to an 8channel analog preamp and, then, to power amps and speakers.

System 2: HDMI output to a Marantz AV8802a which feeds a power amp and speakers.

Kal Rubinson

Thanks a lot. One on order.

Now, I am a complete and absolute technological ignorant. If you are on a Mac, would you be willing to post a blow by blow description of how you set it up to work. Please include answers to: 1) Do you have to connect the player to a TV to set it up?,

No.
2) Can you connect the player directly to the computer using Ethernet or do you HAVE to go through a LAN?
Not likely but I have not tried it. I doubt if a direct connection would give you an IP address for the player to enter into the computer.

Kal Rubinson

Thanks for the offer, but not needed now :)

I did as Living Stereo did and I just uninstalled JRiver(removing everything JRiver related from the registry) and reinstalling. Everything is now playing as it should. Somehow, something with 5.1 output was messed up even though true 5.1 was not a problem. Just these 2 4.0 Audio Fidelity SACD's for me. What a waste of a couple of hours :(

Good. Such things do happen.

Kal Rubinson

Speaking of which, did anyone else but me elect to skip the creation of the .ISO file and just have iso2dsd rip the SACD disc directly to .DSF files?
Some people do it but, in the past, most wanted to avoid the wear-and-tear on their fragile PS3s.

It worked just fine and saves some time too, or at least it does if all you were then going to do was create .DSF files and discard the .ISO.
I do not know if it saves time since one can do the ISO-to-DSF conversion in large batches unattended.

... I'm pretty sure you could always just use the .DSF tracks as source files in iso2dsd to process a .ISO from, no?
You can make an ISO from the stereo or multichannel tracks but not the original ISO with both.

Or do folks on this forum actually just play music from the .ISO and not create the .DSF tracks at all?
Yup.

I play .DSF files from JRiver, but I believe JRiver will also play from a .ISO (however I've never tried it) but that would preclude the appending of album artwork unless I'm missing something?
JRiver appends the artwork to the ISO.

Kal Rubinson

I'm holding out for a high-quality standalone multichannel DAC that has every possible input (USB, ethernet, HDMI, optical, coax, AES/EBU), handles both PCM and DSD natively at all conceivable resolutions (PCM up to 32-bit float 384kHz, DSD up to 256fs), and includes every relevant decoder (HDCD, DTS, Dolby, etc.). I can't be the only one who would find this a useful centerpiece for a hifi multichannel A/V system.
OK. Now there's two of us.

Kal Rubinson

I'm holding out for a high-quality standalone multichannel DAC that has every possible input (USB, ethernet, HDMI, optical, coax, AES/EBU), handles both PCM and DSD natively at all conceivable resolutions (PCM up to 32-bit float 384kHz, DSD up to 256fs), and includes every relevant decoder (HDCD, DTS, Dolby, etc.). I can't be the only one who would find this a useful centerpiece for a hifi multichannel A/V system.
Actually, upon reconsideration, all those inputs would not really be needed if I could buy either (1) disc players (for all relevant formats) with ethernet output and/or (2) internal computer drives with similar capabilities.

So, more relevant to this thread, how about someone developing a command script to do this with the Oppo players?

Kal Rubinson

• 2 weeks later...

1) multiple sacd-set where the title doesn't change and you can't see this until it start ripping; this would overwrite the previous rip with the same name (case in point: Springsteen Live in NYC will overwrite; correctly-labeled differently disc1/2: battiato last summer dance)

The is very common with classical and why I usually choose to rip the last disc first. Then I know whether to rename them.

Kal Rubinson