IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mook said:

Tonyo, thanks for your reply.

I am trying to do this via Ethernet not Wi-Fi. I did look at my wi-fi option and WPS is not one of my selections. The only choices are WPA and WEP.

I have disabled autoplay in setup, There is no autoresume that I can find.

I'm on my third USB thumbdrive and still no luck.

I'm using the same instructions you've put into your post.

When I fornat the USB drive there are options for "Allocation File Size". These are:

Default Allocation Size

4096 bytes

8192 bytes

16 kilobytes

32 kilobytes

64 kilobyes

I'm not sure these have an impact but it is possible,

It's also possible there's a setting on the Pioneer that's not correct.

When I power up the USB stick does flash and the Pioneer create a folder called "BUDA" on the thumbdrive. I'm not sure what that means or does.

When I power up I see in the display:

PIONEER

HELLO

NO DISC

USB IN

NO DISC

The unit does nothing after that.

I have the proper files in the Autoscript folder:

AutoScript

AutoScript.TSS

sacd_extract_160

There is also a hidden folder:

System Volume Information

I'm using Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

I'm stumped.

Dave-

I see you got this going but a couple of points:

- allocation at 4096 should be default but don't think it will matter

- those are the correct script files and because it creates the BUDA folder the Pineer is seeing and acting on the thumb drive and script

- I assume your Pioneer now opens up right?

And for follow-up questions, if your Ethernet and wifi are properly configured, both should work but Ethernet should be much faster. Now that you have it going, shut down wifi and make sure you have proper Ethernet connection within your lan, with DLNA items appearing in windows networking, and double check you have internet connectivity. Should work (LOL).

Did you use the iso2dsd_gui program? Way to go if you need to do lots.

tonyo123

Finally, finished! ~160 SACDs with albums mostly to individual DSFs, a small number to ISOs so I can play lossless and retain both two and multi-channel versions. Used the PIONBDP80FD player. Like clockwork, but, still took a while. After I was done with the extraction, this past weekend I spent my free time moving files around my various hard disks including setting up a new music primary and backup music hard drive, plus, an external hard drive attached to my living room laptop and playable on my family room receiver (via WIFI and DLNA - yes, I know the bandwidth needs for multi-channel can be challenging but DSD over PCM seems to work fine). Then updated Foobar2000, including the latest version of the SACD decoder. Set up the SACD playlists, plus added the SACDs onto different artist and genre playlists, plus took out the hybrid Redbook (44k/16) versions. Finally, added cover art and extracted dynamic range data which was then added to the tags. Lots of tedious tasks, but, pleased that I can now play this music without having to search for and pop in individual SACDs onto the player, plus it's much easier to switch albums and tracks (even if I do have a five disc tray SCAD player - state of the art automation back then, of course). So, done is done. Even find myself looking for other SACDs to buy.

It's funny, many years ago I decided I would no longer buy an updated player:  CD or DVD, and certainly not Blue Ray (I wish Audio and  HT magazines would stop pushing them on us). Just figured they became obsolete as extracting the files that I already had as CDs plus purchasing new music as lossless or HD, and watching streaming movies via Netflix/Amazon, were the way to go. Still all true, but, could not resist getting the Pioneer for this worthwhile task. 

tonyo123

• 1 month later...

Fitzcaraldo, agree. The lack of success was due to Sony and other music companies who pushed DRM and lack of SACD computer interworking and fought the SACD-vs-DVD-Audio war. They made it a niche play due to their business interests. Terrible for us consumers. Then they did everything possible to have us keep the DSD files locked in the optical discs until the decoding algorithm was backwards engineered, plus this and a few other rip methods unlocked them. Now, I don't have to look for my discs, can play when wanted, and can jump among all of the music. Ironically, having the music in the music play software (Foobar2000) means I now look for SACDs to buy (not SONY music though).

Wrxfied, I think the music industry has learned little. Basically, they realized they could not stop technology and those like Apple from eating their lunch so they reluctantly kicking and screaming had to jump into downloads and now streaming. But, for the most part, they are still pushing mp3s and other low quality files onto most unsuspecting consumers. Then the music companies try to resell the same music to consumers in other formats and new streaming services, plus remasterings with lower dynamic range (so you can listen at constant high volume on an ipod and an iphone), etc. Yep, mobile phones have helped broaden the distribution but severely hurt the quality of music. As a result, you see lower and lower prices for most main-stream music. No wonder the music industry has shrunk. Not to mention that there are many other forms of accessible entertainment.

Anyway, this is what I appreciate about this effort: high quality music gets freed from investments already made (and many of my discs were bought when the prices were the same as normal CDs).

tonyo123