IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

New to the forum and was excited to find this thread.  I have over 200 SACDs and would love to rip them for safe keeping and personal streaming.  Just got a Pioneer BDP-80FD and followed all the instructions and alas can't get it to go.

• USB stick formatted with FAT32. 
  • AutoScript subfolder and three files placed on stick from https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273ebah/SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?dl=0.
  • Pioneer is configured with a static IP (192.168.0.3) and all auto play and resume features are disabled.
  • Pioneer seems to boot up off the USB stick fine and ejects the tray.  I insert SACD and it is recognized and waiting.

But, near as I can tell, whatever daemon is supposed to fire up off the stick and listen on port 2002 for a connection from sacd_extract on the PC must not be working. 

I can ping the Pioneer fine, but nothing is listening on port 2002....

>>>

C:\sacd>ping 192.168.0.3

Pinging 192.168.0.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.3:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\sacd>telnet 192.168.0.3 2002

Connecting To 192.168.0.3...Could not open connection to the host, on port 2002: Connect failed

C:\sacd>.\sacd_extract -i 192.168.0.3:2002 -P -I

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.3:2002 for reading

C:\sacd>

>>>

Getting a dreaded libsacdread can't open for reading error.

I also disabled Windows firewall and used a crossover cable between the Pioneer and my laptop to rule out any port blocking from my router/switch.

I saw that @Scar972 ran into the same problem back on May 9, 2017.  Then on May 10 said that it was working "after finding the correct AutoScript". 

Can anyone point me at this file?  I downloaded the AutoScript from the link above.  It's the only one I could find from a search.  After hours of tinkering, all I can suspecting is that this download has a buggy AutoScript for the BDP-80FD.

200 SACDs and just spent $300 on a BDP-80FD and so far just sad trombone is the only music in my ears.  :(

Any help most appreciated!!

@Nexus3

I've been using the amazing USB AutoRip and ripping through my SACD collection, but did run into one disk so far that won't rip.  After the tray opens and I insert the disc, the tray closes and disk spins briefly but then ejects.

When I remove the USB stick and just insert the disc in spins up fine and plays the SACD without a problem.  So the player doesn't seem to have any problem reading the SACD, but the AutoRip software might be handing up on it for some reason.

Any suggestions or workarounds most appreciated!

Actually, this disc is more gold in color now that you mention it.  The disc is Saint-Saens Organ Symphony with the Philadelphia Orchestra (Ondine ODE-1094-5).  I have a number of SACDs on this label and so far they have ripped without issue.  The ones that have worked appear to be a similar color (shade of gold).  So, maybe some issue with this disc in particular?

Thank you again for your help!

@MikeyFresh @Nexus3

Thank you again for your help, but I'm still having some challenges that I could use more assistance with.

I've ripped about 20 SACDs up to this point and am noticing that with about half of them, AutoRip is completing and ejecting the disc successfully, but when I copy the ISO to my PC to extract the DSF files, the extract fails to fully complete and only part way through the last track of the multi-channel files.  It extracts all the 2-channel tracks without any problem.  

Based on the errors, it is looks like the AutoRip is not getting a full copy of all the sectors on the SACD in the iso.

>>

Processing [BEETHOVEN Symphony No 7, Triple Concerto\5ch\06 - Triple Concerto, Largo.dsf] (6/7).. 
Completed: 100% (file sectors processed: 103572 / total sectors:103572), Total: 81% (total sectors processed: 1281849 / total sectors: 1565448)  
 Processed 22576 audioframes. Duration specified: 22576 (05:01:01 [mins:secs:frames]) 

Processing [BEETHOVEN Symphony No 7, Triple Concerto\5ch\07 - Triple Concerto, Rondo alla Polacca.dsf] (7/7).. 
Completed: 57% (file sectors processed: 163955 / total sectors:283599), Total: 92% (total sectors processed: 1445804 / total sectors: 1565448)  
 Error:blocks_readed =0, current_lsn:2097151, end_lsn:2216795, block_size:512  

Completed: 57% (file sectors processed: 163955 / total sectors:283599), Total: 92% (total sectors processed: 1445804 / total sectors: 1565448)  
 Warning:! Number of processed audioframes (34403) is smaller than number of frames in duration (59424)  

Processed 34403 audioframes. Duration specified: 59424 (13:12:24 [mins:secs:frames]) 

...stop processing 

Ended at: Sun Jun 21 09:31:51 2020 
 [elapsed: 00 hours:22 minutes:47 seconds] 

We are done exporting DSF..                                                           

Program terminates! 

Warning: can't read Area 2 (MULCHTOC) TOC-2 !! There are some errros on disc ! 

>>

I tried re-ripping with a different USB stick, still same result on this disc.  Fails at 57% on track 7 of 7.

I grabbed the latest version of sacd_extract from the recent post (v. 0.3.9.3) and tried again, same result.  

The Pioneer BDP-80FD plays track 7 of the multi-channel mix all the way through without a problem, so doesn't seem like there is any issue with the disc itself or the player's ability to read it.  Given that I'm seeing this issue on about half of the SACDs I've ripped, different labels and titles, I'm guessing there is some issue with the AutoScript ISO creation process that is failing.

It's also interesting that it is only the last track on the multi-channel files that fails to complete.

With AutoRip I can't see any error messages during that process.  The disc just ejects and I get the .iso file on the USB.

I've tried again to extract the iso over the network via the server method, but still can't connect to the Pioneer over port 2002...

>>

sacd_extract 0.3.9.3 enhanced by euflo ....starting! 

Found configuration 'sacd_extract.cfg' file... 
    Artist will be added in folder name (artist=0) no 
    Performer will be added in filename of track (performer=0) no 
    Padding-less (nopad=0) no 
    Pauses included (pauses=0) no 
    Concatenate (concatenate=0) no 
    ID3tagV2.4 (id3tag = 4) yes 

Program terminates! 

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 10.0.1.20:2002 for reading 

>>

I have validated that the player's IP address is correct and I can ping it.

>>

C:\Users\Joe>ping 10.0.1.20

Pinging 10.0.1.20 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.0.1.20: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.1.20: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.1.20: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.0.1.20:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 7ms, Average = 3ms

C:\Users\Joe>telnet 10.0.1.20
Connecting To 10.0.1.20...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

C:\Users\Joe>telnet 10.0.1.20 2002
Connecting To 10.0.1.20...Could not open connection to the host, on port 2002: Connect failed

C:\Users\Joe>

>>

Using the telnet port specification method, it looks like whatever Linux daemon is supposed to be running and listening on port 2002 is not working.

For the server method I'm using the files on my USB stick from this link posted by @MikeyFresh

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnpma48ceil80w5/AACzL4md_mFP7-gmbpsx1kFSa/AutoScript?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

Screenshot of my USB folder attached.

AutoScript file contents...

>>

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)
CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

>>

I still have one SACD which will not go with AutoRip that I'd like to try if I can get the network script working.

Trying to figure out what I'm missing, but stumped!

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Oh, one last silly question, does anybody with the BDP-80FD know how to get the disc track number to show up on the front panel display?  All it shows is just the elapsed time, not the track number.  It can be shown in the OSD but really don't want the TV on to see what track is playing.  I have two other Pioneer players (BDP-23FD and BDP-85FD) and they show track numbers on the front display as one would expect.  Some firmware glitch with the 80FD or Pioneer just designed this model that way?  Weird!

Cheers!

SACD NET Folder.PNG

@Nexus3

Thank you for the reply. 

I downloaded Foobar2000 and opened the ISO and played the problematic track.  At 7:38 into the track (13:12 total time) it just stops, same spot as converted DSF file.  Seems like the ISO did not get all the sectors from the disc or is somehow corrupted.  If it was just this one disc I would conclude maybe just some issue with the disc, but running into this problem on around half the discs I've ripped so far.

I used two different USB sticks with AutoRip.  One was 8GB the other 32GB.  Both formatted with FAT32.  Same issue with either one.

It would be interesting to rip the SACD over the network to see how that would behave vs. ripping directly to the USB stick, but I can't get a connection to the player.

Any other ideas most apprecaited!

@MikeyFresh

The three files should go in an AutoScript subfolder directly under the root on the USB stick correct?

I downloaded again from the link you sent.  Pioneer reads the USB stick and ejects the tray, but still cannot connect to it on port 2002.

>>

sacd_extract 0.3.9.3 enhanced by euflo ....starting! 

Found configuration 'sacd_extract.cfg' file... 
    Artist will be added in folder name (artist=0) no 
    Performer will be added in filename of track (performer=0) no 
    Padding-less (nopad=0) no 
    Pauses included (pauses=0) no 
    Concatenate (concatenate=0) no 
    ID3tagV2.4 (id3tag = 4) yes 

Program terminates! 

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 10.0.1.20:2002 for reading 

>>

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.329]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Joe>ping 10.0.1.20

Pinging 10.0.1.20 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.0.1.20: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.1.20: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.1.20: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.0.1.20:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 5ms

C:\Users\Joe>telnet 10.0.1.20 2002
Connecting To 10.0.1.20...Could not open connection to the host, on port 2002: Connect failed

C:\Users\Joe>

>>

I disabled Windows Firewall to make sure there is not port blocking.  

Any other thoughts on what's happening?

Appreciate the help!

BDP-80FD AutoScript.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 7:07 PM, Dick Darlington said:

The telnet connection must be made via the default telnet port, i.e. port 23, not 2002, which is the port sacd_extract listens on. 

@Dick Darlington @MikeyFresh @Nexus3

My player will not accept a Telnet connection on the default port (23). 

The Telnet command can actually be used to verify if an IP target is listening on a specified port even if the service listening on that port is not actually the telnet service.  I use this frequently to troubleshoot IP connectivity issues with my work, though in a Windows environment and not Linux, and can validate that it works.  

Since SACD Extract wants to connect to a service listening on port 2002 on the player, that's what I'm trying to test for.

Based on the error message from the "telnet 10.0.1.20 2002" command, I am assuming that one of two possibilities must be true:  

1.  The service that is supposed to start from the USB AutoScript that is supposed to listen for connections on port 2002 is not starting properly.

2.  Port 2002 is somehow being blocked between my computer and the player.  My Windows Firewall is disabled.  And since the computer and the player are both on the same subnet I am assuming my home Ethernet switch is passing traffic directly between the two without any port filtering at the switch.  I assume the Pioneer player's Linux OS is not doing any port filtering or firewall blocking, but maybe that's not a fair assumption. 

I've tried connecting from a Mac as well to rule out a problem with my and getting the same errors.  I can't connect from either computer to the player over port 2002 even though the player's IP address pings successfully from both machines.

The player does start up and run the AutoScript from the USB successfully.  The tray opens for the SACD.  Based on my troubleshooting so far, this strongly points to #1 above as the issue. 

I don't know how to troubleshoot or resolve this issue from here since I don't know how to see what's going on from the player's perspective.  

I am using the latest files from @MikeyFresh on my USB stick.  Maybe some specific issue with the daemon loading correctly on my Pioneer BDP-80FD?

Any other suggestions most appreciated!

@Nexus3 @MikeyFresh

On 7/6/2020 at 5:25 PM, MikeyFresh said:

Exactly, let's have a look at the folder structure and contents of the USB flash drive, and also a screenshot of the settings in SACDExtractGUI.

So, just want to clarify that I'm not tinkering with telnet in Linux on the player at all.  Just using it on my Windows PC to test to see if the player is listening on port 2002 and that I can make a connection on that port from my PC.  The link below describes the handy way to use the Windows telnet client as a port tester if you're not familiar with this trick.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/telnet/

Below are screenshots of:

• The root of my USB stick

1764147173_USBRoot.thumb.PNG.263fb20dd77a57247d8902b337bf8cdc.PNG

• The contents of the AutoScript folder on the USB stick

28686721_USBAutoScript.thumb.PNG.f05d47f49944b019adfcf3cc735660cb.PNG

• My ISO2DSD GUI settings (as well as a command prompt showing a successful ping of the player but also a failed connection on port 2002).

522006676_iso2dsdfailedtoconnect.thumb.PNG.466af7b5661299e52040dbdbca0d649c.PNG

• Contents of AutoScript and AutoScript.TSS files

132705097_AutoScriptFiles.thumb.PNG.d74f38679c12d2a5e113a383e980c1aa.PNG

Thank you again so much for your time and assistance!

• 4 weeks later...