IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I just stumbled over this topic after what must be years of poking around the edges looking for an old playstation, but not quite remembering what it was I needed to remember about them. I own two SACD discs and one player, Denon 3910, and what has held me back to some extent is the inflexibility due to Sony insanity with SACD protection, preventing me from playing my content conveniently or on any device I wanted in full fidelity.

I found a Sony BDP S5100 not too far away, so it's the most likely one for me to buy after going through the March list of players showing up on ebay, but for sake of paranoia, other than the Oppo priced units, what is the best one?

Those of you who only use the player for ripping, do you leave it powered or all the way off, unplugged or switched off at the AC outlet?

Thanks for all the great information.

As an old computer software person the idea of telnetting into a modern consumer device because it runs on some incantation of Linux puts a smile on my face, and would tempt me had I fewer irons already in the fire to play with all the similar devices I could get my hands on. Is the telnet loophole firmly closed on all of the newer devices?

Today or tomorrow I hope to pick up the Sony 5100 I found locally, which is supposed to be in fine shape, but these seem for the most part average midfi gear that isn't designed for a long life. I guess time will tell.

They could, and they might, but I don't think its likely unless the copyright holders made a big fuss, not just Sony on its own. Even if Sony did, it would just put the Pioneer units in greater demand.

While I am not worried, I don't think I will be leaving my Sony on while not in use for ripping, or giving it access to other than specific sites on the internet, if thats reasonable.

Biggest point I would make is that having a few old systems out that can rip SACD may be good for SACD in general.

Worse case, it is a big wild internet, and somebody someplace will have ISO files.

Its easy for us as DIY hobbyists to vastly underestimate the time and cost that even a tiny change to a consumer scale product could be. Sony could make the change perfectly, and due to the numbers involved some percentage will by chance croak after the update. Getting close to perfect might mean several days of a team reviewing what the old code did plus testing any change on machines they might no longer have. It could be cheaper for Sony to just buy all the old players that show up on ebay etc., or offer some kind of trade in deal on a newer player.

Posting this, sorry if its not "new" news, but haven't seen it before.

This information is for the following models:

• BDP-BX510
  • BDP-S5100

IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.

About this download

Benefits and improvements from the latest update

• Removes the Gracenote function

Previous Benefits and Improvements

• Resolves an issue where some Blu-ray titles cannot be played
  • Resolves an SSL security issue
  • Improves BD-ROM playability
  • Improves BRAVIA® internet Video connectivity
  • Improves Opera™ browser app connectivity for the Sony Entertainment Network service
  • Improves YouTube® Leanback playability for the BRAVIA® internet Video service
  • Resolves an issue where some network content won’t playback after updating to version M14.R.0136

Restrictions

• This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.

File Info

File Name

• Firmware update M15.R.0257 for BDP-BX510/S5100

File Version

• M15.R.0257

File Size

• 100 MB (105,757,698 byte)

Release Date

• 03-05-2019

I think I'm ready to start, I have the S5100 sitting in front of me, 16, 32, and 128GB USB drives, HDMI cable to my monitor, and a spare ethernet cable from my router, but nothing on the audio side ready or much of a clue as to exactly what I need to do. I've downloaded and extracted the windows zip from the page linked to a page or so back, and I've been reading up and down the thread and have seen a few sets of simple instructions that unfortunately have steps I can't seem to follow (links I can't access).

0) I'll be working from a Win10 system, and yes formatting a USB can be a little crazy, as I spent the weekend fussing with installing Win7 on some old Dell pcs via USB, and going back and forth reformatting USB as various stages. I will most likely use Rufus.

1) I've never done anything with this player, is it OK to plug it in and connect to the internet for the firmware update?

2) I only have two SACD discs, so rip to an ISO on the USB seems like the easiest route.

3) Total shock to me, I had no idea the S5100 was a native SACD player with DSD via HDMI, which may or may not work with my ancient Sony 7200ES receiver with HDMI 1.1.

4) Do I need to use the front USB, cover is so fussy getting back on.

7200ES was the last of the Sony end to end digital receivers, one of the last with firewire inputs (that support HDCP and DSD input from a SACD) and one of the first with HDMI, which has made HDCP digital connections an adventure. I don't give up easily though. ;) 

SMH days of reading and I thought I had at least some of this ripping figured out, so its still a two component operation, USB thumb drive in the player, and program or script running on a computer over the LAN?

I've downloaded sacd_extract-WINDOWS-v0.3.9@setmind_git_2019-03-21, and looked a bit at github, is that where I need to download the stuff for the USB to put in the Sony S5100?

OK, I "think" I did that ^^^^^^^^ about to test.

Used Rufus to format 16GB thumb drive, UEFI, MBR, named it Jack (as in the ripper). Two files were in the root level when I looked in the thumb drive, autorun and I think autorun icon. I added the three unzipped files to the root level, AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS, and sacd_extract_160.

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Ready for the final checks?

These are both on-screen displayed menu items on the S5100, and SACDExtractGUI, assuming you have the USB flash drive all sorted.

Success, minor glitch I followed page one instruction to remove the USB before second rip, putting USB back fixed that. Here is the log.

[RUNNING][sacd_extract.exe, -i, 192.168.0.103:2002, -I, -o, E:\SacdISO]

Processing [E:\SacdISO\Oxford Camerata Summerly - Tallis Spem in alium.iso] (1/1)..
Completed: 100% (3861.0MB), Total: 100% (3861.0MB) at 3.18MB/secWe are done..                                                          

[DONE]

[SUCCESS] Port 2002 of 192.168.0.103 is accessible.

Response result non-zero or disc opened
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.103:2002 for reading

[DONE]

[DONE]

[RUNNING][ping, -n, 3, -w, 1, 192.168.0.103]

Pinging 192.168.0.103 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.103: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.103:
    Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

[DONE]

[SUCCESS] Port 2002 of 192.168.0.103 is accessible.

[DONE]

Processing [E:\SacdISO\Amsterdam Sinfonietta Fröst - Mozart Clarinet Concerto and Quintet.iso] (1/1)..
Completed: 100% (3381.5MB), Total: 100% (3381.5MB) at 3.15MB/secWe are done..                                                          

[DONE]

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Whenever I see Win10 mentioned in a network issue, I think AHA!

I don't know why but Win10, especially recent patches seems to hate all older or non MS network devices. Most recent I was looking at was something about turning off SMB, whatever that is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, wavhans said:

Hey all--I just purchased a [used, obviously] Phillips BDP-80FD on eBay. The drive seems to be not working. When I put a disc in, it still registers as "No Disc." I opened it up to see what's going on, and it barely even spins the disc—like a fraction of a full rotation, so obviously it's not able to read anything.

Does anyone have ideas on how to fix that, or where one could procure a replacement drive that would work with the unit? I don't even know where the chip that's necessary for SACD ripping is, if that's in part of the disc drive itself or somewhere else in the player.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

Sure that isn't a Pioneer? Not the best start for a moderately hard DIY repair.

First suggestion is send it back to the seller. If that isn't practical, it is often possible to replace just the mechanism, but unless this is something special to you, and a replacement mechanism is easy to buy, move on, buy a working player from the list of supported players.

A quick look didn't turn up any replacement drives, maybe open it up and see if the drive shows any obvious signs of its origin.

• 3 months later...

This exploit is not likely to be repeated the "same". OTOH SACD ability is now in cheaper and cheaper units, which does increase the chances of another exploit turning up. Not a big reason to work much at it until existing players become rare.

Cheaper players will have less scrutiny, maybe share both common devices and code.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, pionphil said:

1. Is there a noticeable difference between ordinary 16 bit and 24 bit? (I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to do all those things to be able to rip 24 bit, as it seems a bit complicated)
2. It it simpler to rip a single layer than double layer 24 bit? 

3. Would Pioneer BDR-XD07 J-UHD be able to do it? 

The issue isn't bits, its mixing and mastering, sometimes the DSD and Redbook don't have the same mix or mastering. 16 vs 24 bits is just marketing BS, nothing real world or audible.

1 hour ago, chichaz said:

As much as I'd like to leave this (bait?) alone, I simply don't have the restrain :)

This statement is patently untrue. If you somehow perceive otherwise, you need to listen carefully with a good system. Your ears should lead you to the truth. 

Its nothing to do with system or listener, take away non audible clues and nobody hears a difference. No point in denying the science until somebody has evidence otherwise.