IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Has anyone ever tried sacd-r on one of these blu-ray player players - SONY S780 or SONY S790?

I know the S780 can read sacd-r but I assume that after some firmware updates, it loses that capacity.

The S790 is formidable and is already 4K, but I have not heard anyone confirm it reads sacd-r.

The last SACD-r player I have had is the formidable DENON 2910. But it does not make it possible to read SACD through HDMI which is my priority at this time because I acquired a SONY DN1080 (wonderful sound)

6 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

With the Sony 2010  S *70 family (S370, S570 etc.) they retain the SACD-R reading capability through the highest firmware available.

With the Sony 2012 S*90 (S390, S590, etc) they have SACD-R reading capability up until a certain firmware.

I'm not sure what the situation is with the Sony 2011 S*80 family (since I don't own one of these models.)

I assume the S790 is like the S590 in terms of SACD-R, but I don't own a S790 to confirm.

Thank you.

however, here http://www.malcolmstagg.com/bdp-s390-downgrade.html    I found this « a successful downgrade from M13.R.0460 to M13.R.0369 on BDP-S790
(unfortunately SACD-R is still broken in 036» :(
10 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I don't understand.  Did you try the downgrade process from that site and it didn't work for you?

1. No. I did not try it because I do not have one.
I'm trying to choose one before buy. I really like what all the people (not only What Hi-Fi) said about the S790, but I see that it is impossible for him to read sacd-r even with firmware downgrade. 

The prices of these SONY's bluray are quite nice (not the madness of OPPO price).

2. Can anyone advise what will be the best of the «Sony 2010  S *70 family»? I just need one that be able to read sacd-r via HDMI (via analog i already have a Denon 2910).

Is not a priority because now I have a Receiver SONY DN1080 (fabulous) that reads DSD files (and all the other Hi-Res files) directly from usb or via DLNA. But... I was really amazed by the reviews of the S790 and I can not get it out of my head :)

3. On the page «A list of SACD R compatible players» the «Pioneer DV-575A» appear like «Confirmed to play after (custom) firmware update» but with me... don't work.

13 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I see your point.  The poster on the Malcolm Stagg website said that he reverted to the earliest firmware and still could not get SACD-R playback. 

The top of the line is the S770.  I have the S570 and can confirm that it plays SACD-R (with the option of passing DSD through HDMI).

If you get a S590 and revert the firmware to M12.R.0430, you will get all the SACD-R capability of the S570 and also be able to rip SACD.

Thank you Phthalocyanine. Now, I'll try to find an S770 or an S590 through the Hi-Fi Shark. Best regards.