IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

It took me a while to get my Oppo 103 to even open its drawer. I performed a factory reset, disabled auto play, auto resume, the scrensaver etc., all to no avail. It turns out that all my USB sticks were formatted as "Superfloppys" without a partition table, and that Windows 10 apparently also formats completely blank sticks as superfloppy by default.  All those sticks were browsable under Movies/Photos/..., i.e. the media player part of the Oppo isn't as picky as the process that runs the AutoScripts.

Since I haven't really used Windows in 20 years, and MacOS for a decade, what did work for me in the end: A 2TB USB harddrive formatted with one NTFS partition, and after that, an USB stick manually partitioned (with MSDOS style partition table and a single partition) and formatted as VFAT / FAT32 with gparted (available as a live CD e.g. from https://gparted.org/livecd.php). 

3 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Not quite sure what you mean here.  The USB sticks I format with Windows 10 have a standard partition table etc.

But I'm glad you got it to work in the end.  Linux partitioning software like gparted are a wonderful resource.

Do your USB sticks have a partition even before you format them? I've just tested it again, and my Windows 10 1803 32 bit just formats all my 4GB sticks without a partition table if I start with a completely blank (all 0) stick with no obvious alternatives visible.  It first states that "you need to format the disk in drive e: before you can use it." and the "Format USB Drive" dialog that pops up only has options for Capacity, File system, Allocation unit size restore device default, Volume label and quick format. Nothing that would indicate that a partition table could be created, unless I did so manually using Disk Management or diskpart.

I have to admit that I only used windows because I thought the default behavior should be foolproof and exactly what was needed here. I'm surprised that that is not the case.

18 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

You don't get a choice of specifying MBR or GUID but Windows does create a partition table for the USB drive, probably MBR.

My understanding is that you need a partition table to have a file system, which the USB stick certainly has when formatted by Windows (which you can specify as FAT32 or ExFAT).

That's definitively not true. USB Sticks without a partition table (and FAT16/32 Filesystem) work without problems in all versions of Windows since at least XP, in MacOS and of course Linux.

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

An interesting idea.  Is it possible to prepare a USB disc image for the smallest drive (say 512 MB) and then burn that onto any thumbdrive that size or larger?  Otherwise we face the daunting task of hosting various sized images (which will be rather large. 2GB, 8GB, 16GB etc.)

I've created the smallest partition and filesystem possible on my smallest USB stick, stuck the required files for Oppo 10x ripping scripts/tools on there and tested that successfully. A Zipped image is attached. Unzip, then use Disk Utility under MacOS, dd in Linux, and maybe Rawrite32 under windows to write that to any USB storage device. 

OppoSACDRip.zip

8 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

[...]

Here's the structure of the image file that @MeiSh5am just uploaded (which Isobuster sees as an optical disc layout rather than a hard disk structure for some reason).  I suppose Track 1 corresponds to the partition:

The different display may be caused by the filename, more specifically its suffix. Try renaming it to .img, .raw or .bin, or whatever isobuster may use as a default extension for disk (as opposed to CD/DVD) images, instead of .iso as I've done with the image in the zip file.

36 minutes ago, 007james said:

I have the Sony 590 and I'm not sure how many different ways you can write up instructions but in the end none of them really work, am i missing something?

That's quite possible, but you'll have to specify exactly which instructions you have followed, what exactly you actually did, and how exactly things don't work, i.e. how the observed results differ from your expectations, including the exact messages you see and the name and possibly version of tools you're using to get them. Depending on the type of failure, information about the firmware of your player, its network configuration, that of the computers used and their OS and version may be helpful as well.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, doctorjuggles said:

I've forwarded ports 23 and 2002 for this IP address)

No idea what you mean by that. Is the player not on the same network as the computer you're testing this from?  If not, make sure that they are, just to eliminate possible sources of errors.

[...]

6 hours ago, doctorjuggles said:

On the player - I've formatted several times and copied the Autoscript folder with the three files (Autoscript, Autoscript.TSS and sacd_extract_160) just to make sure I hadn't accidentally edited anything - drawer opens and I insert the SACD, but no matter what I do, I can't get the scripts to execute.

If the drawer doesn't open, check the recent discussion about formatting  the USB stick with a partition table and *not* as a Superfloppy. You may try the image i've uploaded for the Oppo 103 and replace the scripts if you're uncertain, otherwise use the tools and procedures others have posted. Also, the Oppo briefly shows a message on its display that it's running the autoscripts, can someone confirm if the Sony players do the same?

1 hour ago, RoDe said:

Like many I was happy to hear that we could now rip our SACD's and so I got my hands on an Oppo BDP103. I have downloaded all the necessary files but, run into an error, each and every time. 

I have spotted that others have struggled with the same problem, but after going through the thread I cannot seem to find if anybody has been able to solve this. I am running it on a Mac, and see that others have been successful.

Your problem description is somewhat lacking. You don't write what exactly you have done and what exactly you observe, and how and when it differs from your expectation. Does you player open the drawer after you have powered it on with the USB stick inserted?

if not, try writing the image I've uploaded a few pages ago to your stick (using diskutil / Disk Utility / or, if you know what you're doing, dd), or the instructions posted by others to partition and format the stick "properly".

If that's not the problem, can you ping the player? Are your mac and the player in the same network or is there a firewall between them?

9 minutes ago, RoDe said:

My apologies, for the lack in description, so I have followed the steps mentioned here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fsigs8b3m24ld56/AACV2LC2EHfEdiS41fQmlKPxa?dl=0. The tray does not open which was the first hint something was not going well.

Will try and find that one now and feedback if that helped or not.

Before you do that, you could inspect your current stick with diskutil and check if it has any partitions - if not, that's your problem. Well, at least it's one of them, and should be easily fixable.

9 minutes ago, RoDe said:

No, I cannot ping the device f that's not the problem, can you ping the player? Are your mac and the player in the same network or is there a firewall between them? as it comes back with an error saying:

[RUNNING][ping, -c, 3, -W, 1, 192.168.1.15]

PING 192.168.1.15 (192.168.1.15): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

--- 192.168.1.15 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

[DONE]

[FAILURE] Port 2002 of 192.168.1.15 is inaccessible.

Then check the network configuration of your Mac and the Oppo, they should both be in the same subnet, i.e. their network addresses should only differ at the last number (15 in your log above). Try connecting both to  the same wired network, if they aren't already. The USB stick makes no difference concerning the network configuration and whether you should be able to ping the player, so you can fix this independent of the correct partitioning / formatting of the stick

16 minutes ago, Jeff Miller said:

The drawer opens and nothing happens when I close it.

That's the expected behavior.

16 minutes ago, Jeff Miller said:

Everything was done correctly like you did.

That's questionable, since it's not working for you. None of the various instructions are 100% complete or perfect however, so ...

Anyway, you don't even mention which player you're using, which instructions you were following, where you got the autoscripts etc. from, which network interface you're using on your player, how that is configured, which Operating System you're using for the ripping software, the network configuration of the computer you're using, and whether or not you can ping your blu ray player (from that or any other computer). Without all that information, it'll be difficult to help you.

• 3 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Kurt said:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open xxx.xxx.x.xxx:2002 for reading

Does the player open the drawer automatically? If not, fix your USB stick - assuming anything has changed about it since you last tried. You can download the image I've posted a few pages ago and copy it onto the stick using diskutil or dd.

If it opens the drawer, can you still ping the player if it is disconnected or off, i.e. are you sure that you're not pinging another device that happens to have the same IP?

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, snafu_ said:

So, a lot of trial and error is involved.

There shouldn't be much trial an error required - the documentation at the beginning of the thread should be updated with instructions how to partition format a USB drive "correctly" and how to verify that that is the case. And/or in addition to that, provide disk images one can use to overwrite the entire USB drive and immediately have a working solution, like the one for the Oppo 10x players I've provided in  the post referenced below, but then someone would have to write instructions for Windows, MacOS and possibly Linux on how to write those images to a drive.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Kit Walker said:

Yes, I disconnected, I have swapped around different format disks and no, I haven't left the USB stick attached. The only thing left to do is to do another rip, but since sacd is not recognized,  I'm not hopefull.

I don't think you've specified exactly where you get the message that the discs aren't recognized. Can you post a screenshot?

Also, the SACD-rip-USB-stick isn't supposed to change anything about your Oppo. It just runs a script that starts a program off the stick. No settings, files or firmware on your player should be modified at all.