IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Dear all,

Topic: Ripping SACDs with the Sony BDP-S590.

I am new to this thread. I recently acquired a S590 as its been added to your compatibility list. The machine came with what was probably one of the last firmware update: M12 R.0510. Following instructions found here, I successfully downgraded it to firmware M12 R.0430 as it is supposed to be the last version supporting SACD-R playback. I prepared a usb stick and copied  the "AutoScript" folder on it. I also installed on my Windows 10 PC the Sonore Iso2Dsd_gui in a directory that also contains the sacd_extract application.

After powering on the S590 with the usb stick plugged, the tray of the blu-ray reader opens. I insert a SACD to rip and close it. But I always fail to successfully connect to the device via the iso2dsd software. I always get the following message:

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.148:2002 for reading 

I tried to connect to the S590 (which is connected to my local network via a wifi extender, should it be necessarily hard wired to the router?) in opening a Telnet session using PuTTY as also recommended somewhere in this thread. I get the following error message: "Network error: Connection refused".

As I am not an expert in network management, I suspect that something prevents me to connect to the S590 on the network (firewall of something else)

Maybe someone, more experienced than I am, can suggest a way to connect to the Sony Blu-Ray reader on the local network. There are probably other key things I do overlook...

Reading this thread, I kind of understood that using PuTTY one can open a Telnet session (in Linux?) and conduct a few tests or obtain some more information on the chipset version of the machine, etc. In doing so, at least, there is communication with the device. I would like to find a way to at least access it and eventually see if I can successfully rip a SACD as it seems so easy for others.

On a different topic, I also own a OPPO BDP-095 Blu-Ray player. I guess that this machine is not considered "compatible" with this ripping process.

Thanks in advance for any clue one can provide. Regards.

Thank you MikeyFresh for your question and suggestion. You are right. My folder contains all the proper files you listed in your post.

Phthalocyanine kindly sent me his excellent guide to rip SACD on a Sony S590. I will try to follow all his steps and process. Hopefully, it will work. I may try again the server method using the Sonore tools. I will report back on my attempts and success or failure.

Thanks.

B.

Thank you again @Phthalocyanine and others for your kind help in getting me acquainted with this ripping process. Not so simple. I learned a lot here. My Sony BDP-S590 is not consistent and does not behave always as expected. I will try to replicate the process I followed this morning and see if I can rip the same SACD. I will also turned off the quick-start setting of the player.

As recommended, I will experiment with ISO2DSD program to extract the files from the created ISO. I can confirm that my USB stick (a Lexar 128 Gigabytes) was formatted in NTSF. I can certainly add a few ripped files before reaching capacity. I will report on further successes. Regards.

B.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:43 PM, tmtomh said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (since I've said this before in this thread), your symptoms sound like an indication of what is the most common problem people encounter when trying to rip SACDs from these Sony Blu-Ray players: The network connection is fine, and the SACD ripping scripts and apps on both the USB stick and the computer are fine - it's just that the Sony unit has mounted/taken control of the SACD disc and won't "let go" of it so the SACD ripping executable (app on your computer) can do the rip.

When you say the Sony's drawer opens and you put in the disc and close the tray - are you closing the tray with the eject button, or with the power button? If you close the tray with the eject button, the Sony machine will read and mount the SACD disc, making SACD ripping from your computer impossible and generating the exact error message you have reported. If, instead, you press the power button, then the drawer will close but the Sony will then immediately go to sleep, without mounting the SACD. This will leave the SACD free to be accessed by the the SACD ripping app, so it can successfully do the rip.

Of course, the above requires that the Sony be set to "Quick Start" mode in its settings, so that pressing the power button will only put it to sleep rather than turning it off altogether.

We all owe @Phthalocyanine an incredible debt for discovering that these Sony units can be used to rip SACDs, and for his tireless and always-friendly assistance to so many members here. That said, recommending that folks troubleshoot problems with the Sony machines by trying to telnet in and control the machine or generate diagnostic error messages, tends to take newbies down blind alleys. Generally speaking, the problem most folks have with the Sony machines has nothing to do with telnet and cannot be solved or even definitively diagnosed with telnet.

My recommendation for the simplest method is below - and @BACHJS, from what I can tell from your comment, it sounds like you've already taken care of steps 1, 2, 3, and 5 in this list. It's also possible you've already taken care of step 4, I'm not sure. I would guess step 6 is where your problem lies, although if you have not taken care of step 4 first, then step 6 will not work.

1. Ensure the SACD ripping GUI app and the SACD ripping executable are both together in the same folder/directory on your computer.
  2. Ensure your USB drive is properly formatted (MS-DOS/FAT16 or FAT32) and has a readable boot sector format (Master Boot Record and not GUID).Ensure you have correct AutoScript files, inside the AutoScript folder, on the root level of your USB drive.Set the Sony to Quick Start mode.
  3. Connect the Sony machine to your home network via wi-fi or an ethernet cable. Use the Sony's menus or any of several free network-scanning utilities on your computer to obtain he Sony's IP address on your network.
  4. Set the Sony to Quick Start mode (so it will sleep rather than power off entirely when you press the power button).
  5. Plug the USB drive into the Sony, wait for the tray to open, and put in the SACD in the tray.
  6. Press the POWER button, which will close the tray and then put the Sony to sleep.
  7. Open the SACD ripping app on your computer, enter the Sony's IP address (followed by :2002), then press Execute.

That's it. Not telnet, no PuTTY.

Thank you @tmtomh for your response. I overlooked it yesterday in trying to follow all the messages on the forum and experimenting with @Phthalocyanine's methodology which has worked once so far. I will experiement soon with your approach. However, being quite new to this, I am not sure what is the right version of the AutoScript I need to use nor the proper ripping gui to use (I guess the ISO2DSD would be fine as long as I can access port 2002). Will report back soon on my attempts... Regards.

B.

On 2/24/2019 at 7:15 AM, BACHJS said:

Thank you @tmtomh for your response. I overlooked it yesterday in trying to follow all the messages on the forum and experimenting with @Phthalocyanine's methodology which has worked once so far. I will experiement soon with your approach. However, being quite new to this, I am not sure what is the right version of the AutoScript I need to use nor the proper ripping gui to use (I guess the ISO2DSD would be fine as long as I can access port 2002). Will report back soon on my attempts... Regards.

B.

Here is my report on my attempts to use @tmtomh's suggested methogology. I guess I am almost there.

I followed all the steps carefull and failed at the end to establish a connection to port 2002 on the Sony BDB-S590:

1. Proper USB stick formatted and partitionned as suggested

2. The Quick Start Mode was activated on the player

3. I tried with both ISO2DSD and SACDExtractGUI applications (the programs being in the same folder than the executables)

4. I tried with two different sets of AutoScript files. I guess this is where I face a wall. Here are the scripts found in both files:

a) the first AutoScript I found on this thread:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract /)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

b) the second recommended by @Phthalocyanine:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec echo root::0:0:root,,,:/root:/bin/sh >/etc/passwd)
CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/inetd &)
SLEEPMS(3000)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start)
SLEEPMS(5000)

Can someone provide me with the proper AutoScript files (or their locations). My guess is that the problems encoutered are related to the incapacity to obtain access to port 2002 of the Player via the GUIs extraction programs.

Thanks in advance for any further help.

Regards.

B.

On 2/25/2019 at 7:43 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

@BACHJS

Sorry if I ended up digressing on some technical points with Dick D.

To solve your current situation this is what you need to know and do.

The same file folders and their content that you used successfully to rip with your Sony S590 with the telnet/local ripping method  - you use those very same file folders and their contents for the sleep server method.

But you use a different method that does not require the use of telnet.  And you use different settings (like enabling quick start mode).  So follow the appropriate guide for sleep server method to the letter.

On another front, @BACHJS PM-ed with another problem he was having that I have never seen before.

image.png.84d58fb4966ce771aafb5a9dbf42e93b.png

His ripping truncated at 6% with the error message: secBus error.

My first guess is that the drive is having a problem reading a sector of the disc - but whether that is because of the drive or the disc is not clear.

I suggested that he try other SACD discs to see whether it is the disc or the drive.

Hello to all,

Latest report on my attempts:

SUCCESS ! 

Finally, I have been able to extract many SACDs in a row. After many tests and false trials, I purchased a new USB stick, copied @Phthalocyanine's recommended AutoScript folders and files, and followed the guide step by step. And, it worked... I repeated the operations today to see if I was able to replicate it and it also worked. The new USB key is a ScanDisk Cruzer Glide 32 GB (FAT32) which I used as purchased. I only copied the AutoScript folders in it. It worked at my first trial.

Thanks to those who helped me a great deal in getting there.

Now, using the same USB stick with the exact same AutoScript files, I tried the network method with the player Quick Start option selected. I followed line per line the methodology recommended to me by one of you. I used both ISO2DSD and SACDExtractGUI without being able to  connect via the 2002 port and get the process while the machine was at sleep. I have certainly misinterpreted the instructions. The only area where I am not sure if I understood correctly is when they say in the instructions in the very first step: "Ensure the SACD ripping GUI app and the SACD ripping executable are both together in the same folder/directory on your computer". Do I have to copy the "sacd_extract_160" program there???. I took for granted that each of the GUIs have their own executable program bearing the "exe" extension present in their specific directory. This is where, I am uncertain. Or, I got everything wrong starting with the proper AutoScript files I need to use.

As a newbie who struggles, I fully support your efforts to present all the resources available in one unique place. What I have seen so far, above, is excellent.

Regards,

B.

@Phthalocyanine To answer your question: I used successfully the telnet method as layed out in your guide with the proper scripts (I guess...).

Later or, I tried to use the same scripts to test the other ripping method using GUIs with sleep mode activated as I thought that what you suggested in your earlier post (above: Monday, 7:43 pm) when you wrote to me:

"To solve your current situation this is what you need to know and do.

The same file folders and their content that you used successfully to rip with your Sony S590 with the telnet/local ripping method  - you use those very same file folders and their contents for the sleep server method.

But you use a different method that does not require the use of telnet.  And you use different settings (like enabling quick start mode). "

Ripping SACD via the netword in sleep mode seems to me an interesting option since one can decide in what format to obtain the files. I would then save a step in avoiding the extraction of the ISO content to dsf files. Maybe I can achieve this in using the telnet option -s instead of -I as suggested by the help of the executable sacd_extract_160 file. I will try that later on.

B.

@Dick Darlington:Here are the scripts:

in files of the AutoScript folder :

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec echo root::0:0:root,,,:/root:/bin/sh >/etc/passwd)
CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/telnetd &)
SLEEPMS(3000)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start)
SLEEPMS(5000)

In files of the AutoScriptSACD folder 

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)
CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)

B.

@Phthalocyanine: my understanding is that line of command cannot be lauched because it is contained in a folder called AutoScriptSACD which would need to change name to AutoScript while I park temporarily the other folder having the same name which launch the telnet method... I was thinking about it since the previous commands of this do not refer to a folder called AutoScriptSACD:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

Is it the way you flip things around in order to use the server method?

B.

Now I do report success in using @Phthalocyanine's server method. What I did is simply as follows:

1. I copied the following script in the two key files of the AutoScript folder (ie. I replace their content by what follows):

#MTKAT 0.xx script

2. Followed his exact method as for the telnet with the toggle step etc. except that I did not lauch a Telnet session via PuTTY, I instead lauched the ISO2DSD application. I have to keep the machine on (it will not work if I press the power button to engage the sleep mode of the player). And here it is working... : the tracks are copied one by one to the ISO2DSD folder on my computer.

I guess other scripts are necessary to lauch a sleep/server rip session.

Et voilà,

B.