IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I'd like to thank all the people that contributed to enabling SACDs ripping on the Sony BDP-S590. It's really amazing and a joy to be able to do it on such cheap device.

I'm planning on doing a doc specific to the S590, as I feel today that all the information needed to do a successful rip on this equipment is quite a bit all over the thread (and the net itself).

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

IThe set up menus for the Sony are different (as you would expect) and so I cannot do things like setting the permanent IP address or disable auto play etc.

I think the set up for the Sony590 should be very similar to the 490, and so I would be very grateful if you could give me some help on setting the 490 up - how did you do it for the 590?

As I said, I'm not bringing any new info, just experience from gathering it any doing the ripping. I didn't go the "ripping to USB" route because I find ripping using the network is neater and the chance of running into filesystem and USB device issues is zero.

As I understand it, the procedure on the Sony 2012 lineup is different from the Pioneer on two aspects (don't have a Pioneer, but read about it):

1 - The device firmware must not have been patched for the "bug" that enables ripping. On the 590 the firmware must be M12.R.0430 or older. There's a site that instructs how to go about the firmware downgrading if needed (http://www.malcolmstagg.com/bdp-s390-downgrade.html). One additional obstacle this introduces is that finding the firmware files (it's Sony property so no one wants to host) seems to be getting harder everyday.

2 - You must "unlock" ripping by changing Music settings just before the rip attempt. Just toggle from multichannel to stereo or vice-versa.

I still didn't got around documenting it properly because of end-of-the-year stuff. I'll do it because my future self will probably need it... as the process is anything but intuitive.

One mildly amusing detail: The ripping, at least on the Sony, takes some time to start. At first it throws at you some messages that seem to indicate one more (or less, hehe) failed attempt but after some seconds it goes ahead and start doing it's thing.

Ok. I forgot to mention that the firmware issue is related to SACD-R playing and not necessarily SACD ripping. My bad. Anyway, I guess SACD-R playing is something desirable, given the choice.

As for the method, having tried both (and having spare HDMI ports) I happen to prefer the menu method. Oddly enough it seems faster and simpler to me. Anyway, to each their own. As long it works it doesn't matter.

8 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The point about the firmware is that up through firmware M12.R.0430, the BDP-S590 will play SACD-R discs (SACD .iso images burned on DVD).  This is a nice feature which Sony disabled in later firmware.

Yeah, I've downgraded my S590 as it enables playing backups (one more reason to do full ISO rips and not just DSDs). I've messed up information on why it was something someone doing rips would be interested in. Sorry for spreading wrong information.

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, mutant_matt said:

every time you unplug/re-plug the USB stick, it creates a new, increasingly numbered sda number

Not that it improves or solves anything, but as Linux storage devices logic go, the number at the end is a reference to the partition on a given device. So with the unplug/re-plug we would have increasing device letters and not numbers (so it would be sdx1, x being the next free device letter, and so on).

If by any chance you end up with sda2, then maybe the USB device have a format/partition issue. It shouldn't have more than one.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hyendaudio said:

BTW telnet still yields connection refused. Telnet and putty are generally simple executables with execute a simple tcp command to establish a connection to a telnet service or daemon running on the target host. What suggestion do you have to resolve this (mute point, but I'm still interested in solving this). 

I guess a lot of errors troubles would be avoided if we just had an USB drive image with the right filesystem and with all the files and scripts in place instead of letting everyone that comes here create the drive from scratch following instructions, formating drives and copying files and folders. As many here aren't computer experts as much as SACD listeners the one step of restoring a USB drive image would offer a process as error free and simple as possible. Of course scripts would still need to be edited but still a whole lot easier than making it all from zero.

I might be wrong, but I bet your problem with telnet has something to do with folder/file placement.

• The Computer Audiophile changed the title to SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!
  • 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

An interesting idea.  Is it possible to prepare a USB disc image for the smallest drive (say 512 MB) and then burn that onto any thumbdrive that size or larger?  Otherwise we face the daunting task of hosting various sized images (which will be rather large. 2GB, 8GB, 16GB etc.)

Yes, but then the disk will be formated with the same size of the original one. Not really a problem if the disk isn't going to be used for writting the ripped files.

Also what software is a good (hopefully free) disc image writing program for Windows and Mac?  I've tended to use disc image writing tools in Linux when I've had to burn a disc image for special purposes .

For Linux there's the native "Disk utility gui" and for Windows there is the free USB Image Tool (https://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/). They both generate cross compatible IMG files as long you don't use compressed image formats. I couldn't say which one to use on Macs (I don't have one) but it certainly exists.

Edit: Well, after a bit of googling it seems OSX also has a native "Disk utility" that can be used to restore IMG files to USB drives. Worth a try just to be sure.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The S590 will play  SACD/-R through the digital out but only at a non-high resolution rate.

Questions of sound quality are OT.

I understand that the S590 will do native DSD passthu if configured to do so. Isn't it considered high resolution rate?

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

Au Contraire mon ami, this was about @Sidemounter's goal to convert SACD to flac "I need to end up with FLAC"

I guess @Sidemounter's goal isn't completely aligned with this thread goal  and raison d'être (oh, more French!) :D