IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Hi

Hoping someone can help. I have everything setup as instructed on a Windoze 10 machine, and my player has a hard wired ethernet connection with a static IP and the player, a Pioneer BDP-160 is pingable. I have also updated sacd.cmd with the correct IP address (though I suspect that's only to run the sacd_extract command on my localhost). However, the player is not discoverable on my Windoze network and neither ISO2DSD nor SACD_extract are able to connect, both display the error: Failed to connect  libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Can someone offer some advice regarding making the player discoverable on the network? I suspect that is what is causing my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

22 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

Not familiar with your particular OS but the sacd_extract client is available for MacOS and Windows only as far as I know. 

Hi. Windoze is my cynical name for MS Windows I'm running v10.

Apologies for the confusion!

That said: anyone have any idea why I might not be able to see or connect to the Pioneer BDP-160?

Thank you Phthalocyanine.

I've rechecked everything and I'm pretty sure I have accurately followed the setup and execution procedures. 1 thing I have not done is to reformat the thumb drive, but I suspect that isn't necessary as the player reads it fine and opens the drawer. I've tried telneting to the player on port 2002 and that doesnt work either. If I read the procedure correctly the bootup program (which also opens the drawer)  should have a telnet server or daemon embedded, or did I get that wrong? Autoplay has been disabled as well. Is it possible the SACD extract program just doesnt like the disc I'm using? I will try another one and see that solves the problem. I know the player can read the disc.

Open to suggestions.

Thank you again!

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Have you tried a static IP address, v dynamic IP, yet? Once you programme your router to asign the static IP, it will never change.

Yes, the first thing I did was update the IP address to 192.168.0.160 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, my router's IP address as the default gateway and DNS IP. The network connect test passes. No need to tell the router to assign an IP, as it's DHCP service will never see a request from the player for a leased address. 

9 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Do you have an enclosing folder called AutoScript at the root level of the USB thumb drive?

It should look exactly like this in Windows 10:

image001.thumb.jpg.8e6e6d5d712fdfb113904d5c254e9113.jpg

Also be sure that Windows did not attach a file extension to the first file in the folder, typically this happens if you attempted to view the file's contents at which point it would have a .txt file association. 

If that happened, delete the .txt extension and you should be good to go, assuming no stray keystrokes were made during any potential browsing of that file then broke it.

Only the middle file should have any extension, .TSS... the other two have no file extension.

I've confirmed this, but just discovered something interesting: When I scan the contents of the USB thumb drive from the player's menu I see other folders besides autoscript (the autoscript folder is embedded in the music folder). Not sure if this is a "feature" of the player's O/S but I'm going to reformat the drive and copy over the autoscript folder to the root of the thumb drive and try this again.

9 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Do you have an enclosing folder called AutoScript at the root level of the USB thumb drive?

It should look exactly like this in Windows 10:

image001.thumb.jpg.8e6e6d5d712fdfb113904d5c254e9113.jpg

Also be sure that Windows did not attach a file extension to the first file in the folder, typically this happens if you attempted to view the file's contents at which point it would have a .txt file association. 

If that happened, delete the .txt extension and you should be good to go, assuming no stray keystrokes were made during any potential browsing of that file then broke it.

Only the middle file should have any extension, .TSS... the other two have no file extension.

Reformatted the USB drive and now have this in the folder.

image.png.547ba28980a802f82441d46798b8a9f8.png

The player still shows the following folders:  

Photo

Music (contains the Autoscript folder)

Video

WWF

AVCHD

So I guess this is a feature of the player's O/S.

command line telnet can't connect

Z:\SACD>telnet 192.168.0.160 (couldn't resist trying this again)
Connecting To 192.168.0.160...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed
Still no joy on running iso2dsd:

Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading

Note as well that putty also cannot connect via telnet, showing connection refused - so I can never get to the point of running sacd_extract:

image.png.900da05eadfe25c52d79604f8c9ca842.pngimage.png.0440e1bc322da67f6835169ac0bcfb61.png

6 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

It doesn't matter if you have other stuff on the Thumbdrive.  If you have the right Autoscript folder in the root with the right files then it will work.  So that's not your problem.

OK check the scripts in the files against the content described in my guide at the end.  (Open Autoscript and Autoscript TSS  in Notepad.)

Because if the right scripts are running correctly you should be able to get telnet access.  This is where your problem may be.

The fact you got connection refused means that Putty did find s device at the address you entered.  But does the Pioneer have a setting in its setup menus where you can -check its IP address? 

Hi Phthalocyanine

D'uh. RTFM LOL. I missed the appendix first time around, but saw it then your very polite and gentle suggestion. I have updated the autoscript and autoscript.tss files with the new content and now the player boots and briefly displays ABCDEFGHIJK then goes dark and the tray no longer opens. Putty and iso2dsd still fail with the same error - even after I manually opened the tray and inserted an SACD. I also noticed there is reference to a second folder called autoscriptSACD with the same set of 3 files, although autoscript and autoscript.tss both appear to have the same content as the original version I replaced in autoscript. Despite there being no other reference that I've found regarding autoscriptSACD, I created a second folder and installed these 3 files with the updated commands and tried again. Same as noted previously: Scrolling alphabet then dark and door no longer opens on its own. More importantly putty and iso2dsd still yield the same response. 

I used to be an SA and deployed Sun workstations and servers (also Netware, 3Com Etherseries and Windows, IBM Xenix & UNIX, HPUX and DEC) all over the world and I'm feeling quite dumb at the moment. Guess I just dated myself 😶. So what am I doing wrong?

Thank you again for your time, patience and assistance!

15 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

To repeat what I tried to post but got blocked.

What I find odd is that you are not able to connect with telnet.

Look at the first two lines of the first script on page 6 of my guide.

Line one gets roots control and wipes out the existing password and creates the new password root.

Line two tells the player to launch the telnet daemon.

If those two commands are working you should be able to connect with telnet and use the new password root.

That’s not happening even thought your player seems to otherwise be responding to the scripts and I don’t know why.

Check the model number of your Pioneer.  It’s a 160?  Any other information on the back?

I saw those commands. Will check the detailed model # when I get home this evening.  Could the fact that the player was sourced 2nd hand from UK be introducing some strange behavior? 

4 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I just don't know the Pioneer models well.  I've never even used one.  I know the Sonys.  So you may need the input from some other members on this one.  Once again, I find it puzzling that your Pioneer is obviously responding to the scripts (opening door, scrolling display) but you cannot get a telnet connection (which is the first step to get any real trouble-shooting going.)

I just checked, no unique model designation on the back, just the usual disclaimers and a sticker with s/n and mfr date (2013).

A regular old Pioneer BDP-160.

21 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Do you want to try the server method instead?

No reason why the local method and Telnet shouldn't work with that unit, but maybe you will have better luck with the server method as an alternative.

Hi MikeyFresh.

I just replied to your PM as well. I've gone to the DropBox link you provided (re-publishing here for anyone else who's interested, as I had to search a bit to find one the first time - BDP-160 AutoScript) and I still get the same result. The player boots fine off the USB drive and the door opens. I load a CD and the player reads it, properly identifying it as an SACD. I then ran Sonore's iso2dsd application (I'm guessing that's what you mean by "server method"), correctly entering the pingable IP address (192.168.0.160) with the default port of 2002 and the result is: Failed to connect libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Thank you again. 

Should I throw in the towel on this player and go for a Sony? I'm reluctant to try an Oppo as according to what I've read, if the firmware's been updated it won't work.

34 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

OK the first thing I'd like to point out is that the link above appears at least twice in the very early pages of this thread.

I don't host that link or I'd change it for one simple reason, MANY people have had trouble with it because it does not point to an Enclosing folder called AutoScript, it points to that folder's contents. SO many people have just downloaded the contents, and they lack the enclosing folder that is necessary, so for full clarity, in the Drop Box GUI, you use the Download button found at the upper right-hand side and that does download the entire enclosing folder called AutoScript:

DropBox.jpg.374d9f9b8cba086541a81dc2b71ecb1b.jpg

Then, resist the temptation to try opening that very first item within the folder called AutoScript, because if you do it will likely then have a .txt file extension, which breaks it. Worse yet, one wrong keystroke inside that file and it is broken. So don't click into it and if you did but are sure no stray keystrokes were made, also then ensure any .txt file extension/association is deleted.

Agreed to all of the above, and sorry if I reopened a can of worms. That said, it took some searching to find the link when I started my journey, and, to your point the one I found was very early in this thread and I guess I was too lazy to start all the way from the beginning of a 158 (when I first engaged) page thread. I did have to use an external search engine to find it though. I did follow your instructions (thank you for that) and downloaded a zip file which created the autoscript folder and deposited the 3 files into it. 

46 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I've never heard that.  As far as I know the 103 and 105 work for SACD ripping with all known firmware.

Some people blink at the cost of these units.  But if you wanted to invest in a quality BD player anyway, they're wonderful.

If you just want a SACD ripping machine, the you can't go wrong with the Sonys.

I have a UDP 205 - upgraded a BDP 105, so I agree. Oppos are wonderful - despite some firmware irregularities - too bad they got out of the business. 

I'd seen several discussions regarding newer versions of the  BDP-103 and 105 no longer supporting the SACD backup solution, and I tried the autoscript program on one which had been upgraded. The player simply ignored the program on boot up, so I figured "everything you read on the internet is true" (sorry, couldn't resist) and went with the Pioneer, which I'd felt was a safer bet. Truth be told, as much as I'm enjoying the research project - and interacting with you all - I'm not sure the Pioneer was a safer bet anymore. The BDP-160 is strictly for ripping. 

16 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Alright, so the very first test was touched on by @Phthalocyanine some posts back, but I'll ask if you are sure this unit's laser is actually reading SACDs, i.e. you put a disc in the tray and the LED display does in fact read SACD? If so you should be good to go in terms of the health of that unit.

The only other variable then is the Pioneer player settings, and those too would be buried a zillion pages ago as more recently the Sonys have proven far less expensive/more popular.

I have a Pioneer BDP-80fd, which is similar but not identical to your unit, the 80fd is actually a clone of the BDP-170. All 3 are known to work.

Let's assume the menu itself and the settings are going to be the same for each, very likely, as there were no early posts suggesting that all different menus and settings for the different compatible Pioneer units were necessary.

Do you have an HDMI cable connected to a display and a remote with which to toggle settings? Do you see the display read SACD when you load a disc?

Yes, I've confirmed the player is able to read SACDs, it plays through the 19" TV via HDMI which I use  as a monitor for both of my players. I've disabled auto play as well. IP address is set to static and it's a hard-wired ethernet connection; the connection test passes. What other settings should I check?

2 hours ago, greynolds said:

Despite what you’ve read and may believe to be true, it isn’t.  There aren’t any differences in newer Oppo BPD-10x players that would have any impact on the ripping functionality and the ripping works on both the D and non-D variants of the player.  I’ve been a beta tester for Oppo starting with the BDP-9x players and can confirm that the ripping process works fine with the latest firmware revision.  Please stop posting anything that suggests otherwise as it only serves to confuse people.

Apologies. It wasn't my intent to confuse or inflame. 

On 2/13/2019 at 6:23 PM, hyendaudio said:

I wasn't presuming anything, just advising that I'd be offline for a bit and not responding to follow ups. I too have a day job and don't carry SACD players around my pocket 😎. I certainly dont expect anyone to hang around waiting for me.

That said: I do have the full iso2dsd distribution in the folder; I'd forgotten that the other 2 files were part of the package. However, since I've been through several iterations of code, config, and folders during this troubleshooting exercise I think it makes sense to clean up - the folder I created for this is a bit of a mess now - and start fresh with the consolidated instructions you and Phthalocyanine have so generously and patiently provided. I will do this over the next 2-3 days (as time permits - tomorrow is pre-committed and I hope you don't need me to explain why 💘) and report back.

Just to highlight:  I am really appreciative of your help here.

Thank you. 

OK, cleanup completed, and all instructions followed exactly. I even downloaded and extracted a fresh copy of iso2dsd from Sonore and created a brand now folder at the root level of my drive. Same problem. I'm going to look for a Sony BDP-S series player and see if that solves my problem. 

1 minute ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Good idea.  If you get the same problems with the Sony then you know there's some fundamental problem with your network connection or something else.  If you get the Sony to work then you can try to figure out what's going wrong with the Pioneer knowing that your other fundamentals are OK.

Sony BDPS-S590 should be here tomorrow. Stay tuned.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:30 PM, MikeyFresh said:

Do you want to try the server method instead?

No reason why the local method and Telnet shouldn't work with that unit, but maybe you will have better luck with the server method as an alternative.

Hi MikeyFresh.

I just replied to your PM as well. I've gone to the DropBox link you provided (re-publishing here for anyone else who's interested, as I had to search a bit to find one the first time - BDP-160 AutoScript) and I still get the same result. The player boots fine off the USB drive and the door opens. I load a CD and the player reads it, properly identifying it as an SACD. I then ran Sonore's iso2dsd application (I'm guessing that's what you mean by "server method"), correctly entering the pingable IP address (192.168.0.160) with the default port of 2002 and the result is: Failed to connect libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Thank you again. 

Should I throw in the towel on this player and go for a Sony? I'm reluctant to try an Oppo as according to what I've read, if the firmware's been updated it won't work.

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

I did not get any further replies.

As stated previously (sorry for the repeat but I'm hoping others can avoid confusion), that link has caused many others a problem in that it points to the content of the AutoScript folder rather than the enclosing folder itself. Use the Download button in the upper right-hand side of the Drop Box GUI to download the correct thing.

No I think you should stop trying to run the program from the NAS as you stated in your original PM, and place that folder onto the PC itself. Or if you are sure that program should run from the NAS, then ask yourself if Java 8 was installed on that NAS or not? 64-bit Windows?

no reason in the world why it wouldn't work from a mounted drive but I had tried that initially anyway, and AGAIN as you had recommended it, and I am nothing if not thorough when I go through my troubleshooting procedures. Windows 10 is 64x by default and yes - as you can see in the screenshot below, it is 64 bit Windows, v10 (although I admit I do run a fairly old PC). ISO2DSD won't load if there is an issue with the version of the OS or Java and yes, Java 8 is installed. The problem is not in launching the app, the problem is in connecting to the player, which is refusing telnet and iso2dsd connection requests. 

No further replies as of yet because I am at work (from home today, as it happens, which is why I was able to take a few minutes to work on this) and had other matters to attend to. I apologize if I cannot be available on a moment's notice to attend to your requests - which is precisely the reason why, earlier this week, I notified you and others who are monitoring this thread that I would be offline for a bit.  It didn't occur to me that an hour here or there would be that important. 

I hope you'll forgive my irritation but I am a bit put off by the aggressiveness in the replies. Whereas I understand your frustration with having to address download procedures which likely resulted in many requests for assistance when setting up the autoscript folder and its contents, please note that I am new to this thread and had no previous knowledge of this issue - I certainly didn't have it. That said, I am not a novice here. As I stated in an earlier PM to you, I know my way around operating systems and application installation and support, ethernet (and other) networks and electronics (I won't go into my experiences or specific skill sets here). I replied previously that I am going to try this with a different player, as I suspect the issue may be with the one I'm using. 

I will reply back to this thread when I have further updates; likely sometime Sunday or Monday. 

Wishing everyone a pleasant holiday weekend...

image.thumb.png.5e09977b8205d88f409a68973387f392.png

38 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I thought the above posted earlier today looked very familiar.

Turns out it is an exact copy and paste copy from Tuesday at 5:18pm. So even though the post from that date was answered, you copied and pasted it here again? Good luck with this tact.

Actually, I did not copy and paste anything. I was replying to a thread. Not sure what makes you think I am reposting this?

19 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Because the same exact thing (word for word) is posted above 3 hours ago, and also last Tuesday. Good luck with the S590.

I suspect someone quoted my reply from last Tuesday (could have been me, in which case I do apologize!). 

Considering that this is now working, I've cancelled the order for the S590.

Thanks again for your help!

35 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

@hyendaudio it seems likely that although your AutoScript is being launched, which is the only way your tray would open, sacd_extract is not running. This assumes there are no firewall or network issues of course. One scenario that could cause this would be if your USB is not mounting as SDA1. I once had fits with a weirdly formatted usb stick that mounted as SDA. Period. Not SD some letter some number; just SDA. Apparently it is possible to format a disk with a volume and yet zero partitions, but I will go to the grave not knowing how to reproduce it. But I digress. Point is if your script assumes SDA1 as is the norm, but your AutoScript volume is anything else, then yes the tray opening command will work. And yes the ABCDEFG display command will work, but you gonna be sol when it comes to sacd_extract. 

OTOH there could be something else preventing sacd_extract from running. So basically what you really need is Telnet so you can see WTF is going on. So imho I would focus on establishing a Telnet connection and worry about the ripping thing later. To that end, remember that some players require launching inetd to invoke Telnet and others require telnetd. I can’t recall how that shakes out atm. 

This all makes sense, but considering that I was never able to open a telnet session it was impossible to see the mount point of the USB drive. It's likely the firmware with the usb drive (a handout from an IT vendor whom I won't implicate as I'm quite sure they never anticipated my use case 👹) caused some unexpected behavior. 

The solution was to use a different USB thumb drive. We know that PNY 512MB drives work. Now. 

So I guess if everything else works but connections to the player are refused, one recommendation would be to try a different, freshly formatted drive. A name brand drive wouldn't hurt...

I guess we can this to the growing database of USB drive known issues or incompatibilities. 

Epilogue:  I couldn't cancel the order for the Sony BDP-S590n before I ship it back anyone who wants it is welcome to it. Its refurbished with a 30 day warranty for $80 (I paid $79.92, I might just keep the $0.08 as my profit)

39 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

No no no NO ... emphatically NO! 

The brand of the USB drive has nothing to do with it.

The solution was was to use a *properly formatted* USB drive. The significance of this regularly overlooked requirement cannot be understated. 

An improperly formatted drive will NOT work no matter how fresh it may be. If it’s done wrong every time; it will fail every time. 

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that inattention to the basic requirements for  AutoScript USB drive preparation will often result in ripping failure and an unfortunate waste of many people’s time.

There is zero evidence to support the oft stated claim that certain brands of USB drives are incompatible. None. Zip. Zero. 

And finally, if you can’t get Telnet working on your Pioneer 160, the odds that you are not doing something wrong are astronomical. 

I don't know what to tell you. I have first hand experience that two different drives, identically formatted with the same exact set of files copied into the same exact folder behaved differently. I reformatted the first drive twice with no success using the exact same Windows GUI interface with a 32 bit File Allocation Table and Quick Format (which only rewrites the allocation table and doesn't reset all of the bytes on the drive) disabled. I can't speak to what anyone else may have done. 

BTW telnet still yields connection refused. Telnet and putty are generally simple executables with execute a simple tcp command to establish a connection to a telnet service or daemon running on the target host. What suggestion do you have to resolve this (mute point, but I'm still interested in solving this).