IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Please please please can you help me, I've tried to decifer many threads on this forum and various others, I'm trying to rip my first sacd, I've had these 15 years and they're the only cds I haven't been able to copy. I've read various threads and forums and all seem to have a similar theme but for the life of me I can't manage to rip them. So I have a pioneer bdp160 so my qeustion/request can any kind person please give a more detailed step by step guide to ripping a sacd. I think I have all the relevant files needed but don't seem to get the instruction. Call me stupid but I'm missing or getting something wrong somewhere. I've tried to follow various guides to no avail...... HELP HELP HELP

Thanks for your responses but it still doesn't help me, I'll try again soon with a clearer head. Do I open any files that are on the USB stick plugged into my bluray player? When I boot it up the tray opens I pop the disc in but its from here I'm falling down, when using dsd2iso it can't connect and it's this section I'm having issues with I know I'm not far off. Cheers. 

10 hours ago, miksi said:

I'm using sleep server method on my sony. With usb flash mounted turn off player and it will go to sleep. Then you can start sonore  iso2dsd app on PC and select server method with ip address of your player and then select execute. Player should be awaken and begin ripping.

From earlier post you have a download link of Autoscript which folder should reside on root if your flash drive. Important is that you should always power of your player when insert new disk to rip, not eject button and this is for sony.

I have the files in the correct place, my knowledge and understanding using command prompts and scripts are limited but I'll figure it. I'm getting a unable to connect message when hitting execute, maybe I'm typing something incorrectly in the command window. I appreciate all advise and I'll try once home this evening. 

10 hours ago, new_media said:

Here are step-by-step directions for the Pioneer BDP-80fd that I copied from one of the links in this thread. I printed them out so that I would have them handy when I was setting up my player. Should be exactly the same procedure for the 160.

SACD Image Creation Process for Pioneer BDP-80FD.txt

Thanks for your time I do have this printed out and have tried to follow but i think I'm coming unstuck using the command prompt (my knowledge and use of this function are limited) will try again this evening, thanks for your time again. 

On 8/5/2018 at 9:05 PM, new_media said:

Here are step-by-step directions for the Pioneer BDP-80fd that I copied from one of the links in this thread. I printed them out so that I would have them handy when I was setting up my player. Should be exactly the same procedure for the 160.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:05 PM, new_media said:

Hi there again I have followed this procedure this evening and have tried many times but it never works I've also tried the server method using sonore iso2dsd but same issue it never works. When using the command prompt method the window opens to this C:\users\daniel>  (I then type) (the S is the folder on the root windows) S.\sacd_extract - I (bluray ip address) :2002 - P - I then hit enter but here is where its failing to find/execute or connect to anything, when using sonore server method it errors can't connect to bluray ip address...... 

Thank you to all you kind people in tyring to help me trouble shoot my issue. So firstly my bluray players ip address is set at auto and the ip address its been assigned has remained the same throughout my efforts so in theory it should work as when the bluray is powered on its visible on my network when it's off its not visible. (maybe setting a static ip address would help? 

Secondly my player plays tge sacd layer of the disc no problem but I'll definitely try connecting to the bluray directly instead of through the router and see if that helps. 

Thirdly I think my command prompts are correct I've copied exactly as seen in the description with lower case and spaces etc but will try again this evening once home, so when I open the command prompt window it reads C:users\daniel>

At this point I type the letter S which is the folder where I placed the executable file to extract, then type the command with my ip address and hit enter so it looks something like this 

C:\users\daniel>S.\sacd_extract i - 192.168.0.17:2002 - P - I 

Then I hit enter does this look correct? 

Kind regards 

2 hours ago, Chiefbrodie said:

Thank you to all you kind people in tyring to help me trouble shoot my issue. So firstly my bluray players ip address is set at auto and the ip address its been assigned has remained the same throughout my efforts so in theory it should work as when the bluray is powered on its visible on my network when it's off its not visible. (maybe setting a static ip address would help? 

Secondly my player plays tge sacd layer of the disc no problem but I'll definitely try connecting to the bluray directly instead of through the router and see if that helps. 

Thirdly I think my command prompts are correct I've copied exactly as seen in the description with lower case and spaces etc but will try again this evening once home, so when I open the command prompt window it reads C:users\daniel>

At this point I type the letter S which is the folder where I placed the executable file to extract, then type the command with my ip address and hit enter so it looks something like this 

C:\users\daniel>S.\sacd_extract i - 192.168.0.17:2002 - P - I 

Then I hit enter does this look correct? 

Kind regards 

Just to add the software version of my bpd 160 is version 01.06

11 minutes ago, Ravelyn said:

I  am not the expert here on this issue, but just looking at what you typed, it does not look to me like the sample in the preceding post. Maybe it's just the font, or maybe there's some sort of auto-correction that's adding spaces. But, I copied the command line from your post, pasted it into a text editor and changed the font to Courier (a mono-space font) so I could more easily see where the spaces are. From what I saw:  (1) you have the dash after the lower case "i" instead of before it; (2) assuming you accidentally reversed those two, there would still be a space between the dash and "i" that doesn't belong there; 3) there is also a space between the dash and the letter "P" that should not be there; and 4) likewise, there is an incorrect space between the dash and the letter "I" 

Yours is on top; the one posted by pabe12 is on the bottom (with your IP address inserted).

.\sacd_extract i - 192.168.0.17:2002 - P - I 
.\sacd_extract -i 192.168.0.17:2002 -P -I

I hope I'm not off the mark on this--if so I apologize--but that is what I noticed.

Thank you for your observations I'll try it this evening get home and feed back to you. Cheers 

16 minutes ago, sefischer1 said:

I'll make a couple of observations:

The 192.168.0.17:2002 is a specific IP address which will most likely not be correct for another user's network connected player. The :2002 part is a "port" number and would be the same for all users. The 192.168.0.17 is the IP address which is explicitly set, or more likely, assigned automatically by your network router.  Because you'll need to specify the correct address when doing the SACD rip, you should probably assign a fixed IP address to your disk player using it's setup menus. The correct address will depend on the your router's DHCP settings.  

These are based on a root network address such as, in this case, 192.168.0.1 (all other IP addresses would be the same except for the last number which would be greater than 1). DHCP allows you to define the lowest number for automatic assignment. I like to choose 100 so that I can manually assign fixed or static addresses below 100 and let DHCP auto assign addresses above 100. Using this example, I would set the disk player to a fixed address (using the disk player setup menus) to 192.168.0.60 and then remember that whenever needed, such as the setting of the above command instruction on your memory stick, or when attempting to communicate with your disk player over the network with a program like iso2dsd.exe from Sonore iso2dsd.jar (Java based program).

If you don't set a fixed address for your disk player and allow your player to get its' IP address automatically, you'll need to determine that address by examining your router connection tables every time you want to do an SACD rip. Clearly not very convenient.

Thanks for the very detailed observation so I'll set a static ip address once home and see if that helps as for the directory indicators when I open the command prompt window on my pc it is a backward slash as opposed to forward and I copied the command instruction as it was with backward slash also. The above ip address is similar to mine and I used it as an example. I'll feed back later once I've set a static ip address and then take it from there. Cheers to all once again. 

Hi there again so tonight I've tried all of your above suggestions and feedback but yet still nothing! This is driving me nuts... Maybe I nerd to re download all the relevant autoscript files (can't remember where I got them now) tonight set a static ip for the bluray player I inserted the usb stick with the 3 autoscript files on powered on the bluray waited until the tray opens pop in the sacd disc wait for tge front panel to read sacd then on my pc I opened a command prompt window and it read C:\users\daniel>

After this I typed S. \sacd_extract - I 192.168.0.20:2002 - P - I

Then enter and I get this message when using the command prompt way and when I try with sonore I get this 

20180807_210505.jpg

20180807_211219.jpg

10 hours ago, Chiefbrodie said:

Hi there again so tonight I've tried all of your above suggestions and feedback but yet still nothing! This is driving me nuts... Maybe I nerd to re download all the relevant autoscript files (can't remember where I got them now) tonight set a static ip for the bluray player I inserted the usb stick with the 3 autoscript files on powered on the bluray waited until the tray opens pop in the sacd disc wait for tge front panel to read sacd then on my pc I opened a command prompt window and it read C:\users\daniel>

After this I typed S. \sacd_extract - I 192.168.0.20:2002 - P - I

Then enter and I get this message when using the command prompt way and when I try with sonore I get this 

20180807_210505.jpg

20180807_211219.jpg

The  I typed in the thread should be i as you can see in the image must be a auto correction my bad. 

7 hours ago, alandbush said:

@Chiefbrodie

After you have opened the prompt enter the following

cd S:\

this should change the directory and prompt to

S:\>

now enter the sacd_extract command, which I believe from earlier posts is

sacd_extract -i 192.168.0.17:2002 -P -I

Thanks for this info alandbush I think this is part of my problem as I didn't know how to change the directory so if I type cd S:\ this then changes the directory to the folder "S" where the file is on my pc to extract? I will try this once home this evening, cheers. 

6 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

@Chiefbrodie

I don't use the Sonore software (I have an Oppo BDP-103 for ripping) but that error message  'Failed to connect... ' would cause me to do 2 things; from the CMD prompt type:

ip config <return>

and make sure your computer is on the same subnet as the disc player you're trying to connect to, ie 192.168.0.x where x is the final triplet in your computer's IP address. If that shows you're on the same subnet, from the cmd prompt type:

ping 192.168.0.17

and see if you get successful packet confirmations- should look something like this:

Pinging 192.168.0.17 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.17: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.17:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

If your results are like above, then your computer and disc player hardwares are communicating properly, and you can focus your efforts on your command line syntax,  disc player settings and Sonore software settings. Divide and conquer.

If you get timeout errors they are not communicating and that must be fixed before you proceed.

Lack of communication might be due to a bad cable, if your cable runs directly from the computer to the disc player without going through a switch you might need a crossover cable (most relatively new computers network interface should do this automatically with a non-crossover cable); other sources of problems could be the computer's firewall (possible but less likely), anti-virus software, faulty network connector, lint in the connector (don't laugh, this actually happens more often than you'd think, especially with old equipment).

Hi there bluray444 thanks for this info I'll try pining from the command prompt tonight to test if both computer and bluray are communicating properly, the cable I'm using is brand new so I'm guessing that's not the problem but will try swapping it out with a different one to see. Thanks again 

8 hours ago, greynolds said:

What the heck is the "S.\" part at the beginning of your command?  You need to change your current directory to where sacd_extract.exe is located then type the command without the "S.\".  I also notice that you continue to mix up upper and lowercase i letters in your posts - what you show in the actual screenshot looks OK in that regard, but it's important to proofread your posts if you're going to get useful help as the difference between an uppercase I and lowercase i can make all the difference in the world for things like this; it's no different than when entering a password where "password" is considered completely different than "PaSSworD".

Hi greynolds the I was a auto correct it was actually i and the S was me thinking I was changing the directory but I've just learned from alandbush the way to do this so I'll try that this evening to see if that works. Thank you again. 

8 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

Tech/computer problems often have multiple underlying causes that must be sorted out to get things working. In my experience anyway. In your case I suspect you’re being thwarted by at least to separate issues (not including the biggest of all: troubleshooting avoidance). What I mean by that is that you seem to be banging your head on the final step instead of stepping back and working methodically to verify that each prerequisite in the chain has been satisfied. More on that in a moment but first ...

Potential problem 1: The error displayed in your Windows command console seems to be saying that it cannot find the executable program at the location you specified. Is it in fact in your current folder “c:\users\daniel”?  If it is you don’t need the “.\” prefix because that just says “this folder” although that shouldn’t hurt. If it is not, then you’re explicitly telling Windows to run a program in your home folder that is actually somewhere else. 

What happens if if you just type sacd_extract and hit return? Does it display usage info or a different error? Or is the result unchanged? If there is a difference; indicating the sacd_extract program did actually launch, that suggests  there is a problem with the arguments or somewhere else yet to be determined. But if it still says path not found or whatever... your talking to Elvis in the next room when in fact he’s left the building. 

Potential problem 2: Your Sonore GUI error would probably be different if it can’t find the sacd_extract executable (I *think*) so assuming it is able to launch your local sacd_extract then either it can’t talk to the player over the network OR it can but the remote sacd_extract is not running and listening on port 2002. If so what problem would cause this? Well any one of many from our current vantage point. That is looking back from the end of the flow chart with no knowledge of the decision branches along the way; who the hell knows?

FWIW I use the server method exclusively. Just a personal workflow preference, but nevertheless I include a Telnet launch line  in my scripts so it’s there for troubleshooting if I need it . When all is well with the server method, no worries. But as @Phthalocyanine has said many times (arguably more eloquently than me) and I strongly agree with: when stuff ISN’T working, you’re mostly blind without Telnet. 

So so that last digression was for anyone new that might happen along to this post and is such the glutton for punishment that they read this far into it. 

Moving along. In my little brain I think of several preliminary items that need to be satisfied and checked off if you’re not one of the lucky few finds ripping nirvana on the first try. Presented roughly in order but the order isn’t absolute and there are subset items not listed relevant to problems along the way:

1. Is there solid and verified network connectivity between the computer and the player? “I know I’m using the correct IP address” doesn’t count. 

2. Does the AutoScript file on the USB launch when inserted in the player? The tray opening is a strong positive indicator. The lack of the tray opening is not necessarily a counter indicator. 

3. Does the AutoScript file that launches find the the USB folder structure at its expected location, e.g. /mnt/sda1?

4. Does the AutoScript file succeed in launching 

A) sacd_extract?

or

B) Telnet?

or 

C) both?

5. Can the connection from the computer to Telnet port 23 and/or port 2002 be established and verified? (actually this is just item 4 restated)

6. etc. etc. 

So yes inevitably someone will come along and say “all I did was this and stick that there and whoomp there it was and I’ve ripped 80000 SACDs except for the Tag Team sacd that was never released”, and that is awesome. For them. Some people win the lottery. But this SACD ripping thing is easy peazy and fraught with pitfalls at the same time. 

So with all that said I humbly suggest you turn your efforts towards verifying the items listed above. For item one there is ping. For item 2, use a script that opens the drawer and confirm that it does open. The approach to item 3 depends on whether or not Telnet is being employed or not. The murkiness of successive steps clears as the results of previous steps are known. 

And then then we pay taxes. 

And then then we die ...

8 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

Tech/computer problems often have multiple underlying causes that must be sorted out to get things working. In my experience anyway. In your case I suspect you’re being thwarted by at least to separate issues (not including the biggest of all: troubleshooting avoidance). What I mean by that is that you seem to be banging your head on the final step instead of stepping back and working methodically to verify that each prerequisite in the chain has been satisfied. More on that in a moment but first ...

Potential problem 1: The error displayed in your Windows command console seems to be saying that it cannot find the executable program at the location you specified. Is it in fact in your current folder “c:\users\daniel”?  If it is you don’t need the “.\” prefix because that just says “this folder” although that shouldn’t hurt. If it is not, then you’re explicitly telling Windows to run a program in your home folder that is actually somewhere else. 

What happens if if you just type sacd_extract and hit return? Does it display usage info or a different error? Or is the result unchanged? If there is a difference; indicating the sacd_extract program did actually launch, that suggests  there is a problem with the arguments or somewhere else yet to be determined. But if it still says path not found or whatever... your talking to Elvis in the next room when in fact he’s left the building. 

Potential problem 2: Your Sonore GUI error would probably be different if it can’t find the sacd_extract executable (I *think*) so assuming it is able to launch your local sacd_extract then either it can’t talk to the player over the network OR it can but the remote sacd_extract is not running and listening on port 2002. If so what problem would cause this? Well any one of many from our current vantage point. That is looking back from the end of the flow chart with no knowledge of the decision branches along the way; who the hell knows?

FWIW I use the server method exclusively. Just a personal workflow preference, but nevertheless I include a Telnet launch line  in my scripts so it’s there for troubleshooting if I need it . When all is well with the server method, no worries. But as @Phthalocyanine has said many times (arguably more eloquently than me) and I strongly agree with: when stuff ISN’T working, you’re mostly blind without Telnet. 

So so that last digression was for anyone new that might happen along to this post and is such the glutton for punishment that they read this far into it. 

Moving along. In my little brain I think of several preliminary items that need to be satisfied and checked off if you’re not one of the lucky few finds ripping nirvana on the first try. Presented roughly in order but the order isn’t absolute and there are subset items not listed relevant to problems along the way:

1. Is there solid and verified network connectivity between the computer and the player? “I know I’m using the correct IP address” doesn’t count. 

2. Does the AutoScript file on the USB launch when inserted in the player? The tray opening is a strong positive indicator. The lack of the tray opening is not necessarily a counter indicator. 

3. Does the AutoScript file that launches find the the USB folder structure at its expected location, e.g. /mnt/sda1?

4. Does the AutoScript file succeed in launching 

A) sacd_extract?

or

B) Telnet?

or 

C) both?

5. Can the connection from the computer to Telnet port 23 and/or port 2002 be established and verified? (actually this is just item 4 restated)

6. etc. etc. 

So yes inevitably someone will come along and say “all I did was this and stick that there and whoomp there it was and I’ve ripped 80000 SACDs except for the Tag Team sacd that was never released”, and that is awesome. For them. Some people win the lottery. But this SACD ripping thing is easy peazy and fraught with pitfalls at the same time. 

So with all that said I humbly suggest you turn your efforts towards verifying the items listed above. For item one there is ping. For item 2, use a script that opens the drawer and confirm that it does open. The approach to item 3 depends on whether or not Telnet is being employed or not. The murkiness of successive steps clears as the results of previous steps are known. 

And then then we pay taxes. 

And then then we die ...

Hi Dick thank you for your very detailed post I'll trace me steps and try to rectify, your elvis quote had me in stitches 

Hi to all who are kind enough to spare their thought time and knowledge helping me out, I did say in my first post my knowledge and experience with command prompts and changing directories was very limited so thanks for baring with me, so I have set a static ip address on the bluray tonight I will double check all the relevant autoscript files are in the correct place and on the root of the usb and my pc (am I correct in think root is as not in any other folder?) I will ping the bluray to double check that both pc and bluray are communicating with the each other I will change the directory in the command prompt window (didn't know how to do this) until a recent reply then will try again and feed back to you all, thank you again for your time and thoughts and huge help it's amazing what can be learned from good people like yourselves. 

39 minutes ago, alandbush said:

+1 kudos to all those that willingly and helpfully provide information that is not always common knowledge as one would think.

@Chiefbrodie

Further to my earlier post, it subsequently occurred to me that the process you are following appears manually intensive and prone to typos, especially if you have to repeat it for each SACD rip.

The process I follow, surely gleaned from this thread or others, should greatly simplify the process for each subsequent SACD rip, once the initial setup is completed.

Let me explain, hopefully, in clear concise steps (oh and this is for Windows)

1) open the folder containing the sacd_extract.exe

2) create a new text document file named for eg. SACD_rip

3) open the new text document and type in the sacd_extract command with the appropriate IP address

sacd_extract -i 192.168.0.17:2002 -P -I

(nb - you could copy and paste the above command to prevent any typos)

4) save this text document

5) open this text document again and save as a new command script file

ie.

5a) select 'File -> Save As...' to open the 'Save As window' 

5b) change the 'Save As type' from Text documents to All Files

5c) change the 'File name' as appropriate BUT append the file type extension (.cmd)

eg. SACD_rip.cmd

5d) select the 'SAVE' button

Thats it!

To rip a SACD, you now simply open this command script file and it will execute.  Viola! (fingers crossed)

Should the IP address change, you simply need to repeat from step 3).

Good luck.

Wow thank you for that info once again I'll first try this evening changing the directory and see if that's where I've fallen down but reading what you just listed that sounds on paper relatively simple although creating text doc files etc is very alien to as I've never needed to do anything like that I restore furniture for a living so only ever use my pc for leisure but just googled it and it seems straight forward so once again a big thank you. Will feed back later 

31 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

Exactly what I do- I create 3 scripts, one to extract ISOs, one to extract 2-track files, and one to extract multi-track files.

Thanks again for this and your help but as above creating scripts /text document etc is alien to me but I'll certainly give it a go as I've got quite a few sacds to rip. 

16 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Exactly what I do- I create 3 scripts, one to extract ISOs, one to extract 2-track files, and one to extract multi-track files.

Thanks again for this and your help but as above creating scripts /text document etc is alien to me but I'll certainly give it a go as I've got quite a few sacds to rip. 

Morning to all trying to help me, last night I only had limited time so I pinged the ip address and it came back looking good, when I power up the bluray with the usb attached it does open the disc tray so all good there.... Now this is where something isn't working when I try to change the directories to folder S on my C drive it still sends back the same response so I'm at a complete loss again am I placing the sacd extract exe in the correct place on my pc? Here are shots of last night... I couldn't even change directory. Any thoughts? 

20180808_224012.jpg

20180807_210505.jpg

20180808_225837.jpg

1 hour ago, alandbush said:

Computers don’t lie, apparently, so the photos suggest that your pc does not have an S: drive.

To clarify, can you open the folder containing the sacd_extract file and attach of photo of the screen.

Hi again I will take a screen shot once home this evening, but I can already confirm that my computer doesn't have a S drive, the S is the the name of the folder where I put the sacd_extract exe file, I followed what the instruction said and named a folder as short as possible so S came to mind for super audio. 

Is this the issue, where should I place the folder? Thanks again. 

35 minutes ago, alandbush said:

@Chiefbrodie

My apologies to you because I must have misunderstood an earlier post.

A folder named S makes much more sense than a drive called S.

Lets keep this simple and ignore the command prompt process.

Instead, follow the process I described to create a command script.

That does not require prior knowledge of drives, folders, paths.

No worries, I do like the idea of keeping it simpler as it's proving to be quite a headache compared to ripping my blurays and cds, I do understand that drives and paths exist as all my media is stored on various hard drives on my network and there has to be a path to access it from certain devices but I will have a stab at what you suggested once home and see if I can create a command script to simplify the process, it's frustrating as I seem to be at the last step. Will feed back later