IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

So, I just found this site today looking for ways to backup my SACD collection. Lots of great info here! I discovered that I already own a Sony BDP-S590 (ver M12.R.0510), which is awesome. I read through most of this thread, starting at the Sony discovery. I downloaded PuTTY and the files found in the DropBox link. I only see a folder for "AutoScript" but no "AutoScriptSACD" folder.  So, I loaded just the one folder and followed the players boot instructions. I was able to Telnet into my S590 and get root access. As soon as I enter the command: "cd /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD/" I get the error: "can't cd to /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD/". This seems, I would think, appropriate, since I don't have the folder with that name. Is that what I'm missing? If so, where/how can I get it?

This is all new to me, so please be gentle. :)

Edit: I just remembered some commands from years past. I guess I was way off on what I thought was going on. Anyways, while in the "root" folder I noticed it contained an "sdd1" folder, not "sda1". I changed that and low and behold, I see "AutoScriptSACD"! Next step, run "./sacd_extract_160 -I". Now I get a not found error. :(

16 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

If you are trying to use the local ripping to USB method, the main idea is that you navigate into the folder on the USB stick that has sacd_extract_160 program file in it and then you issue the command ./sacd_extract_160 -I which tells it to run the program and rip an .iso in that same folder.

So, find out what the usb stick is mounted as -- in this case it was sdd1. (Turn off fast-start setting in system settings in the Sony in the future to avoid having the usb stick get a new mount assignment every time you put it in.)

Make sure that sacd_extract_160 is in the folder you are navigating to, and navigate to it with cd/

Do the work-around step now if you have not done it before (change music settings in the Sony menu from stereo to mult-channel or vice versa)

issue the command: ./sacd_extract_160 -I

ripping should start.

Thanks! I got it working now. It only took two tries, with the help of this forum. :) You guys are the best!

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I have a Mac, and after retiring my beloved Oppo BDP-105 from my main stereo system, I decided to sell it (which I haven't gotten around to yet), and so I picked up a Sony BPD BX510 cheap off eBay to use as a dedicated SACD ripper. It works great!

From your description, it's impossible to know what issue is causing your problem. So if you want to find the solution you might very well have to read through at least a portion of those 135 pages. However, since the Sony machines were only recently discovered to work for SACD ripping, you can easily start reading 5-10 pages back from here and fairly quickly find the Sony discussion.

That said, here are the main pitfall areas folks (including me) have encountered, which could impact a Sony-based ripping setup like yours:

• USB Stick formatting: USB stick has to be formatted as FAT/FAT16, or FAT32, or NTFS. When formatting on a Mac, you want to choose FAT/MS-DOS. Macs don't offer NTFS, and they don't offer FAT32. (They offer exFAT, which is similar to FAT32, but the Sony machine doesn't read exFAT in my experience).
  • USB Stick formatting - Mac-specific issue: If you format it on a Mac, you'll also need to make sure the stick is formatted with a Master Boot Record boot sector. The Mac default is GUID, and the Sony will not read a GUID formatted USB stick.
  • AutoScript Folder Location: The AutoScript folder must be at the root level of the USB stick. The AutoScript and SACD Extract files must be INSIDE that Folder - they should not be directly at the root level of the USB stick.
  • AutoScript Files: The SACD Extract file must be the "160" version (which works on the Pioneer BDP-160, 170, BFD80, and the Sony units including yours). A file named SACD Extract, without the "160" in the name, is for Oppo machines and will not work for you. In addition, the AutoScript file you have must be written to call up that "160" version of the SACD Extract file, not the non-160 version. Normally if you have downloaded a package of files that includes the sacd extract 160 file, then the accompanying AutoScript file will already be properly coded to work with the sacd extract 160 file.
  • AutoScript File - Ripping Method: As detailed below, you can rip to the USB stick connected to the Sony (Telnet method), or you can rip over your network to your computer (server method). Which method you want to use will impact which AutoScript file you use. There are universal AutoScript files that enable Telnet for local ripping while also containing the necessary commands to enable remote/server-based ripping. However, I found that these more complex files did not work for me. Ripping with my Sony unit worked only when I switched to a super-simple, bare-bones AutoScript file that enables only the function I need (I use the server method).
  • Sony Player Setup: For the SACD ripping app to work, the Sony player has to unmount the SACD - it has to "give up control" of it so the SACD ripping program can take control. There are two ways to do this. One is to have the Sony connected to a monitor, and each time you put in an SACD, navigate to the Sony's Settings menu and toggle the stereo/multichannel SACD setting. It doesn't matter what it's set on, just switch it. That trick unmounts the disc, and then you can go back to your computer and click "Execute" in the Sonore app. The other, and IMHO better, way, is to ensure the Sony is set to "quick start" mode in its settings. Then when you put an SACD in the tray, close it with the power button instead of the eject button. That will close the tray and turn off the Sony machine. But since it's in "quick start" mode, it's really only sleeping, not off. This status prevents the Sony from controlling/mounting the SACD, while still leaving it able to be "woken up" by the Sonore app on your computer. So the procedure would be to turn on the Sony, stick the USB stick in the machine, wait for the disc tray to open, remove the USB stick, put the SACD in the tray, then press the Power button to close the tray and prep the unit for commands from the Sonore app. The advantage of this "sleep" method is that you don't have to re-insert the USB stick as long as the Sony stays connected to AC power; and you don't have to keep the Sony connected to a monitor.
  • How the Sony Player Names/Treats the USB Stick: This is among the most devilish of potential issues. In most cases, the USB stick will be assigned the label/ID "sda1" by the Sony machine, and so the AutoScript file is coded to look for sda1. However, if you are having other problems with SACD ripping, and you are repeatedly removing and re-inserting the USB stick in the Sony machine during troubleshooting, then the Sony will label the USB stick "sdb1" the 2nd time you insert it, and "sdc1" the 3rd time you insert it, and so on - thereby breaking the AutoScript file, which expects to find everything at "sda1." This is particularly devlish because in this situation nothing is actually broken - the AutoScript, the USB stick, and the Sony machine are all working just fine, and it's just a temporary problem based on the fact that you've re-inserted the USB stick instead of inserting it for the first time. There's a way to modify the AutoScript file to fix this, but the simplest solution for non-techie folks is just to turn the Sony off and on again before re-inserting the USB stick. That reboot of the Sony will make it revert to the proper "sda1" label for the USB stick when it's inserted.
  • Telnet (local) mode vs Server (remote) mode: You always will be controlling the SACD ripping process remotely, from your computer. But you can do it so the SACD rips locally, to the USB stick attached to the Sony; or remotely, over wi-fi to your computer. I greatly prefer the latter method, but others prefer the former. You have to do some things differently depending on which method you use - for example with the Telnet/local method you can't remove the USB stick because the USB stick is where the ripped SACD data is going to be written.
  • Location and Installation of Sonore app: There's another sacd extract app/executable, that lives on your computer's hard drive. (Some say this executable is included in the Sonore app, but that was not my experience). This app has to be in the same place/directory/folder on your hard drive as the Sonore app is. Also, to use the Sonore app, you need Java installed on your computer. Newer Macs no longer come with Java installed, although I do think they automatically prompt you to install it if it's missing and needed. I don't know what Windows machines do.

So... it is very complicated in terms of the number of issues or factors that COULD cause the process to fail. On the other hand, it is unlikely that you will run into all of these issues, usually only 1, 2, or maybe at worst 3 of them. And they are all easily solved with careful reading and a little trial and error.

Excellent post! This would have saved me from joining the site, had it been posted earlier. :)

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Waynefi said:

Which is the easiest player to use with a windows PC for the computer unwashed? When I had my Oppo I got that going pretty fast , what’s next, the Pioneer —80 ?

My Sony 590 was a breeze with the USB method. I don't see a need for the complicated server method. 

22 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I agree with Kal, especially with stereo + Mch classical albums that can exceed FAT32's 4 Gig limit on USB thumb drive.  When you have ripped thousands of such albums, as he and I have, you absolutely do not want to be piecing those ISO file fragments back together.

Besides, ISO2DSD is a piece of cake.  All it needs is the IP address, and you are good to go.

I'm just going off of what I'm seeing posted here. My drive is formatted as NTFS, so no issues with 4GB limit.

1 hour ago, Beacon said:

I've searched this site for the past hour and cannot find the answer to my question - are either Sony BDP-S5000ES or Sony BDP S1E able to rip SACDs?

I have an Oppo 103 so am familiar with the process as far as that machine goes and have successfully ripped many SACDs.

Thanks....

There is no mention of either unit being able to rip. There is a complete list a few pages back.