IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I have the Sony BDP-S790 and have been attempting to get the SACD ripping working. 

I have a MBR USB drive (fat32) with the Autoscript folder and 3 files recommended for Sony (including the Telnet code modification)

1. Booting up with the USB in the player does not open the drive

2.  Attempts to connect through the cmd (.\extract_sacd -i 10.0.0.76:2002 -P -I) or the iso2dsd interface fail to connect.

3.  I can Telnet into the Sony (only using the IP address, no port) but don't quite understand the command or file structure to get very far.  I login in as Root and get a ~# prompt.  I and can change directory to /bin/sh but am denied access to /usr/sbin.  Would there be a default password?

Don't know where to go from here.  I would be willing to just try ripping to the USB drive but don't quite understand how to execute that.

Making progress.  Putting the USB in the front of the Sony didn't register in the root directories.  I put the USB in the back and it showed up in the /mnt/sdg1 directory.  I tried running the sacd_extract_160 and got errors:

insmod: can't insert '/tmp/fileToprF1': invalid module format
[0]: install_modules: mknod/insmod filed
rmmod: can't unload 'sacd_read': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
[0]: Can not install modules

This is promising....

In order to open the telnet connection on the Sony, you must first put install the USB w/ the AutoScript file on it.  I have discovered the following:

1. Being a Windows guy, I didn't realize that Unix/Linux was case sensitive regarding directories and files.  I had put a directory on my USB as Autoscript rather than AutoScript and it would not read.

2. I had done a hard reset on the Sony and tried to connect through Telnet and was refused.

3. Changed the directory to AutoScript and the Telnet connection was honored.  The AutoScript file contains a command to open the Telnet connection.

4. The Sony changes the directory name of the USB depending on the make of the thumb drive.  I have seen sda1, sdg1, and sdc1 as the names.

So far regarding the Sony BDP-S790, I am able to get into the root and manually attempt to start ripping with the sacd_extract_160 command.  Toggling the Music type apparently doesn't unload the disk.  No matter what I try in the setup, i get 

On 2/28/2018 at 6:33 PM, dtblair said:

I would appreciate any info from someone who had run into this error and what they did to fix it.  Maybe the S790 never unmounts the disk

From wanthalf's post

22 hours ago, wanthalf said:

4) The path "/mnt/sda1/AutoScript/AutoScript.TSS" is hardcoded into the bdpprog binary. That means that this program is probably also reading and interpreting the scripts (it might also run some other program to do that, but it also contains the strings "CLI(CLI_" and "SLEEPMS(", which means it probably parses the script itself). Anyway, the other copy of "AutoScript" file is obviously useless, at least in the Oppo, as mentioned before.

I wonder if the Sony bdpprog binary is similar and is always looking for the sda1 directory?

59 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

I truly don't think the make of the thumb drive should have anything to do with the mount point designation.  AFAIK the first volume on the first partition of the first drive inserted will always mount as "sda1".  If you were to insert a second drive in the rear, it would be "sdb1".  Every time you insert a new drive or reinsert one of the others it will increment by another letter.  At least that's what I'm seeing.  I'm speaking of the S590 BTW.  Is it possible you were trying various things and removing and replacing the drive without rebooting?

You are right.  Each time you insert the USB, the directory increments. My bad

5 hours ago, dtblair said:

Am still getting the above error.  When it attempts to create the tmp file, where is this located?  Is the format of this file affected by the formatting of the USB?

17 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

.  Do you have any SACD-R discs handy.  SACD-R discs are DVDs on which a SACD iso has been burned.  If you have one, try this for ripping.  It should work even without the music-setting toggle work-around.  It is not an end in itself.  But it will be useful for troubleshooting.

I have DVDs but no iso to burn to the disk.  Do you know where I can get a test iso download?

Thanks to ted_b I tried the SACD-R in the BDP-S790 and it won't play.  Gives FALSE and unreadable.  Must have the pit error checking.

I tried toggling the layer from SACD to CD, music from 2 channel to multi, back and forth.  No go.  Looks like to S790 won't do ripping.  Bummer

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to get the Sony BDP-S790 working but never could get it to unload the disk.  Picked up a BDP-S590 and it's working great.

Two issues: 

1) iso2dsd_PC_v7 cleaves off last seconds of each file when converted to dsd.  iso plays fine in JRiver all the way to the end of each song.

2) Smetana Má vlast  fails due to the character over the "a" in the file name.  Any way to get around this?

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

PROCEDURE FOR ACCENTED CHARACTERS
If there are accented characters in the ISO name such as ö, ü, é, ñ, the PuTTY window might display "invalid argument" and ripping will not start. Here is a workaround:
• Re-paste the command ./sacd_extract_160 –I
• Add one space after –I and type two straight quotation marks
• Copy or type the ISO (album) name directly in between the quotation marks
• Delete the accented characters and type non-accented characters into the ISO name
• Hit Enter to start the SACD ripping process

Wow that works.  Can you just avoid the whole thing by putting in your own file name from the get go, i.e.

./sacd_extract_160 -I "My file.iso"

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

• The Computer Audiophile changed the title to SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!
  • 1 year later...

SACD ripping creates the iso file which for me contains both stereo and multichannel tracts.  To convert the iso to dsf more than doubles the storage requirement. JRiver and Foorbar can decompress the iso and send the dsd to my DAC.  Has anyone heard any sonic differences due to the decompressing (similar to the flac wav discussion) of the file versus the raw dsf?

• 1 month later...

There is a way to evaluate a DSF file using Audacity and an old FFmpeg from 2014 which allows a view of the spectrogram.  It shows the source of the SACD which is informative but also discouraging. I have found that many of my SACDs are created from the CD.  This might explain why some can't "hear" a difference between the 2 formats.  The cleanest DSF files are recorded direct to DSD128 or DSD256.  All extraneous noise has been removed.

Examples:  the first is sourced from a CD, the second recorded in DSD64 and the third a direct to DSD256.

It really shows that all SACDs should list their recording format so you know what you are actually getting.  Chandos does this and nativeDSD (although they have been incorrect a couple of times).

01 - 1ère Suite LE BOURGEOIS GENTILHOMME, 1670 - Ouverture.jpg

01 - Fanfare to La Peri.jpg

2_Flor-e-o-Espinho_256fs-2ch.jpg

No. This was  a SACD rip, Lully: L'Orchestre du Roi Soleil from AliaVox.  Judging from the spectogram, the frequency cuts off at 22kHZ which is consistent with a CD.  Therefore the SACD was upsampled from a CD original.  The same thing happened with the original Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" SACD which was confirmed to be an upsampled CD pressing.  BIS recordings that are from an original 24 bit PCM44.1 show the same pattern but not the same brick wall pattern.

Here is an example of spending money on nothing.  The Dire Straits Digipack.  The SACD is sourced from the same recording as the CD (this is a HDCD, but that means nothing here). The first image is the spectrogram of the CD.  The second is the SACD.  The difference in views is that the SACD potentially has higher resolution above 22kHz, but there is nothing there but noise.  The SACD is an upsampled CD.  The only potential benefit here is the multi-channel.  Both formats max out at the same resolution, 22kHz.  This is sad

HDCD.jpg

SACD.jpg

SACDs created from Analog (assuming not ADD) should have higher resolution.  Below is an example of Sam Cooke's Portrait of a Legend.  You can clearly see higher resolution.  But even knowing that the original recording was analog doesn't mean that they have created the SACD from that master.  Another bad example is John Coltrane's Blue Train, recorded in 1957, but the SACD release was an upsampled CD.  I have good sounding CDs and SACDs but I object to paying a premium for HD that is not.  I now am only purchasing high res that I know was recorded and produced that way.  Myself, I don't know if I can tell the difference between a PCM96 and a DSD64, but direct DSD264 sounds fantastic

01 - Sam Cooke - Touch The Hem Of His Garment.jpg

01 - Blue Train.jpg