IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Note: I told the PS3 thread I would announce what I've found, so I am writing this first post, long before I am ready to (i.e I don't have the links ready yet, nor the instructions). I expect my second post to be ready in a few more days.

Thanks to some very ingenious folks on other forums around the world, Mr Wicked's sacd_extract.exe has been found to be effective in ripping SACDS in those players that:

1) have Mediatek chips MT8580 (like Oppo 103/105, Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu, Pioneer bdp-lx58/88 ) or MT8560 (like Pioneer BDP-160/170 and 180)

2) have an ethernet connection

3) have normal factory firmwares (meaning no mods)

The process involves two major steps:

1) create a USB thumb drive that contains an Autoscript program and a Telnet program, then plug it into your player to have it boot up with these scripts

2) using something like Putty (Windows, for example) Telnet from a computer into the BD/SACD/universal player above, then run a command line file that starts the ISO extraction.

Both of these steps require links that I will either edit here, or create a new post with them. I am still quite confused as to whether some of these files are different based on Mediatek chip version, of if this is all universal.

Here is an idea of the process (google translated and simplified)

01 – Folder AutoScript contain a server program (daemon) to rip original SACD discs

02 – Folder sacd_extract contain a windows client sacd_extract.exe and a file sacd.cmd. You should put this folder on a drive or partition with enough space to create .iso image. Edit sacd.cmd file with Notepad or another editor to change the IP address of the player. PC must be on the same network with the player

03 – Prepare clean USB stick

04 – Copy AutoScript folder with 3 files inside to the root of USB stick

05 – Disconnect from the player all USB devices

06 – Restart the player

07 – Check the Player menu and save IP address of the lan interface. Don’t forget to edit sacd.cmd

08 – It’s better to disable disc Autoplay

09 – Insert prepared USB stick into the player

10 – Wait until the tray is ejected

11 – Remove USB stick from your player

12 – Put sacd disc in tray

13 – Press the Close button

14 – Wait until the disc is recognized by the player

15 – From the Windows run sacd.cmd file and the ripping process should start

16 – To rip another SACD make sure that the sacd_extract.exe worked until the end, eject the tray with previous disc and repeat steps 11-15

17 – Be sure to reboot the player at the end!

Net/net, don't sell your Oppo/Cambridge/Pioneer players (and add to this list if you know of any more). I will have links to the Autoscript, Autoscrpt.TSS and sacd.cmd as soon as possible, along with some screen shots, if possible. I wanted to get this out there.

Caveat: as with the PS3, this ripping process is ONLY intended for those who already own the SACD discs, for archiving or personal file-based playback purposes. Please do not pirate!!

Who else would be the first to report on this if not you, Ted?

So my big questions are, is the ripping process performed in real time and no faster? I'm guessing that would be the case, but I hate to guess.

And second, is there a difference in sound quality between the discs ripped on these machines vs. the PS3?

I ask because I've heard that some other modded OPPO rips can sound better than those coming from the PS3 for some reason.

Thanks a lot for the great information, Ted.

Joel

• The Computer Audiophile changed the title to SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!
  • 3 years later...