IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I received my refurbished BDP-103 from Oppo and did my first rip via Wi-Fi. It was slow (around 1.2 MB/sec) so the next day I repositioned my router and hardwired it to the Oppo and computer with Ethernet. Now my rips are on target, around 20 minutes per disc at 2.5 MB/sec.

I converted one ISO to DSD, but the resulting files are much bigger in total than the single ISO. As it turns out, Foobar will play the DST-compressed ISO directly, complete with tags, so I do not need to convert to DSD after all. (I've never been a fan of DSD per se; I only buy SACDs for the surround sound.)

Now, after waiting for many years, I can finally backup my large SACD collection with ease. I wish to give my heartfelt thanks to the programmers, to Ted for bringing this to my attention, and to Grill for linking me to the graphical version of ISO2DSD which does not need Java.

PS -- The Oppo BDP-103 is a wonderful machine that is virtually inaudible when spinning a disc. It is quieter than my trusty old Oppo BDP-83SE and much quieter than my Sony SCD-XA5400ES. And I am glad to have Oppo's unmatched customer service.

I assumed (since I don't know any better) that "2002" goes at the end of the IP address since there's space for 4 digits in the IP address box.

The IP address should have the format 192.168.0.0

(The last two zeroes will be different numbers depending on your particular setup. One easy way to find the SACD player's address is to open Network in File Explorer and click on the player's icon).

Only when you edit sacd.cmd should you use the format 192.168.0.0:2002

(The :2002 tells the program to use port 2002.)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, about 7-8% of my very large ISO collection are over 4GB, so you'll need to use HJSplit that often.

In Windows, I simply rip to my internal NTFS HDD or an external NTFS HDD. No extra hassle with files >4GB.

I'm happy to report that all my extended-play stereo SACDs from BIS ripped perfectly. It's great having over 4 hours of music on one "disc"! Is anyone aware of any others besides the Bach, the Dowland, and the two Mendelssohn?

So far, I have had a single audio glitch on only one rip. I re-ripped and it was fine. I don't know the source of the interference, but to be safe, I now do all rips on (laptop) battery power only. Oppo and router are on Furman linear AC filter. Anyone else experience an audio glitch?

Please advise which is the correct set of files for thumb drive, see attached. Is thumb drive formatted fat 32? Do I put files on thumb drive individually or the whole folder?

If I want the iso on the c drive where do I execute and what do I execute. I only want to get the iso I never convert to dsd/dff but use Foobar to play from the iso. Thanks.[/ATTACH]

AutoScript folder goes on FAT32 thumb drive.

Execute .cmd file from C drive. (Be sure to edit file so correct IP address appears.)

I use this version of sacd_extract to get the ISO to foobar with no conversion:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacd-extract-gui/

This link was given to us in post 793 by grill. (Bonus: this .net version does not require Java.)

• 2 weeks later...
...when using a USB drive for ripping it needs to be partitioned with the MBR scheme and formatted with the FAT, FAT32, or exFAT file system; I'm not sure if NTFS is supported.

Just to clarify: this only applies to the AutoScript thumb drive inserted in the player. NTSF works fine for the destination drive receiving the rips.

5 of those were BIS 'extended play' SACD-stereo-only discs of over 4 hours each.

I'm only aware of these 4 titles:

Dowland – The Complete Solo Lute Music, BIS-SACD-1724

Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes 44 seconds

Mendelssohn - The Complete String Symphonies, BIS-SACD-1738

Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes 55 seconds

Mendelssohn - The Complete Solo Concertos, BIS-SACD-1766

Total Time:4 hours 15 minutes 55 seconds

J.S. Bach - Complete Organ Music, 20 hours+ of music on 5 SACDs for the price of 2!, BIS-SACD-1527/28

Total Time: 20 hours 8 minutes 21 seconds

What is the 5th title? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
... the folders for the ISO rip and ISO to DSF conversion need to be on the root. I had a problem with file names being too long if that approach wasn't used... I haven't tried to play the track to see what happens with it.

I've had no problem on Windows 10 with an NTFS SSD ripping the ISO to folders nested 3 and 4 levels deep.

I listen to each ISO after it has been ripped. So far, after a couple dozen rips, I have had 2 repeatable audio "clicks" with a lot of high-frequency energy. I re-ripped both SACDs and the clicks were gone. This process seems to be less than perfect, so ultimately we must listen to the rips before archiving them.

Please do let us know if switching to a direct connection improves your rips.... Perhaps using sacd_extract forces the Oppo to read data from the SACD at a higher spin rate than the Oppo player normally would for regular SACD playback?[/color]

I will keep you all posted with my progress. Please keep in mind that what I have been hearing is not the small "ticks" that occurred between tracks with early Oppo firmware (in the BDP-83). Rather it is a single loud "pop" in the middle of the music.

Yes, reading an 80-minute SACD in just over 20 minutes seems to imply a ripping speed of almost 4x.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Multi-channel on HDMI input of Oppo 203 or 205

Has anyone else tried to get multi-channel audio through the HDMI input of the Oppo UHD-205? When I play my ripped ISO files on my Lenovo Yoga 700 notebook, Foobar says it is outputting 5-channel PCM 88.2k just as I told it to, but both info screens on the 205 say it is getting only stereo 48k. I tried hanging an HDMI audio de-embedder on the audio-only HDMI output of the 205, but got the same result. 

The Oppo manual says the HDMI input will accept up to 8-channel 192kHz audio. So is this an EDID handshake issue? Do I need to connect a multi-channel HDMI sink (like a receiver or pre-pro) to one of the 205's HDMI outputs in order to get this to work properly? Or is it a limitation of the Lenovo's HDMI output?