IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Hi, thanks, this discovery really made my day as an owner of Oppo BDP-105EU! :-)

Everything works for me, but I would like to know if there is more known about the player's system. Unfortunately, running /usr/sbin/telnetd does not work for me (yes, I tried the appropriate script). Does anyone know how to start the telnetd on Oppo? Is there any documentation (maybe just reverse-engineered?) concerning settings such as these:

CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000

CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg

CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start

aso.?

Any idea, what environment the player has (so that one could compile own binaries, maybe?).

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, fred sonnen said:

thanks so far.

I know this is a sacd ripping thread. My thought where here are all the experts and perhaps there is a way / simple ad on from sacd to BRA ripping ;-)

Seams not to be the case ;-(

Is this  explanation also true for just simple BR-audio disc's. The disc I have stores just audio files. There are no videos on it....

Greetings

F.S.

Actually, there is really nothing like BluRay-audio disks. If you have a "BR pure audio" like the ones from 2l.no, they actually include a blank video track with high quality audio. But they also include 96/24 audio files which you may just copy out without any special trick or software. If you want to rip and decrypt the full BluRay, then MakeMKV is probably the only way. It is free and makes copies of any BR disk. Including those "PureAudio" disks.

27 minutes ago, fred sonnen said:

If this is the case with my BRA ( Strauss- analouge years) disc, how do I get these files with a conneced BDP-160?

I don't know this disc. You can always try to read the disk in a BluRay drive on a computer and search for some .flac or .wav or (in the worse case) .mp3 on it. But you will need MakeMKV to make a decrypted copy of the disk if you want to extract from the real BluRay .m2ts files.

The disks from 2l.no include the so-called "mShuttle" which you may use to export files even from a BluRay player. This includes the FLAC or MP3 files as mentioned above.

7 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Same for the LSOLive BDAs.  Unfortunately, only the stereo tracks are available and many of us need the multichannel ones. >:(

Right. MakeMKV can rip the M2TS files. But what can be extracted from those, and played on a PC? Any sort of multichannel FLAC? How to send it to an AVR through HDMI or any other digital channel from a PC, then?

24 minutes ago, lucretius said:

PowerDVD can play the m2ts files.  The easiest thing to do is copy and unencrypt the bluray disk with AnyDVD HD.  They have an updated database -- otherwise you could have a problem with copy protection. If you really need to have the video in another format (e.g. mp4 for ipad, etc.), then you need to use Handbrake -- but this involves decoding and recoding, and is very time consuming and lossy.

Yes, I have ripped and unencrypted M2TS files from MakeMKV (sorry, no Windows here). And my Oppo plays the M2TS files very well. The question is, if I can extract the different single audiotracks from them (it is pure-audio disks, so there is no video at all - or just blank video, to be exact). Actually, I have the tracks extracted, somehow, but I wonder if DTS-HD can be converted to multichannel FLAC without loss of anything and played back thought HDMI.

Actually, the more serious problem seems to be streaming DSD through HDMI. As far as I found, there is no PC driver capable of that (not even for Windows, not to speak about Linux).

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I'm using the correct IP address for my Oppo, but attempts to run sacd_extract just generate the error 'sacd_extract has stopped working'. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Ensure that you are using the correct version of Autoscripts, not the first/"default" ones. On Oppo 105EU, you cannot use the scripts running the /usr/sbin/telnetd daemon - the script will just fail and not continue to start the actual sacd server. The correct script will open the drawer for you.

The procedure is pretty simple:

1) insert a USB stick with the correct Autoscript folder into your Oppo and insert a SACD when the drawer opens (if it starts playing, you may just use the stop button to stop it as well)

2) run the sacd extractor on your PC and give it the IP adress of your Oppo as the address of the "server" to extract from

That is all. 

I could easily create a webpage summarising this subject. But it would be only me able to maintain it. (It would be quite an overshot to install a whole wiki system just because of one topic.) Otherwise: why not!?

Giving assistance to all the people not able to even find the IP address of their player is probably a necessary thing, but I would love to find out more about how to script the player and control the functions seemingly not documented anywhere else. The "auto-scripts" contain a lot of useful knowledge that would be worth better documentation - but where are their authors and where did they acquire the knowledge?

Please, forget about the telnet! I will repeat my earlier experience again:

• you do NOT need telnet at all
  • telnet daemon will not start on the Oppo, it is probably not available there - do not even try using the autoscripts trying to run the telnet daemon on Oppo: the scripts will fail and they will not be able to continue and start the sacd extractor server anymore!

The only proper thing your autoscript should do on the Oppo is copying the sacd_extract binary to the player and running it there. The other scripts trying to run telnet and set the buffer are obviously meant for the other (Pioneer?) players.

BTW: The Oppo HAS some ports open by default (I did a port scan). I suppose those ports are open for the remote control apps (for smartphones and other devices).

Do not forget that ping only shows that there is SOME device on the IP address, connected and alive. But that does not mean that the device responding to ping is your player! It can be just any other computer, phone, tablet or any other device in your network. You need to check it is really the address of your player and no other device!

You can check the IP address of your player in its network settings. Your router may also tell you which address is assigned to which device in your network. Do not forget that the IP address may change when you turn the device off and on again.

12 hours ago, captainbrent said:

Good job and looks to be pretty much the same when using a Mac but, what about disabling 'Auto-play'? I'm not sure if it is absolutely necessary but was originally listed as a step. I disabled auto-play on my 103D.

Cheers

My experience with Oppo 105: I did not turn off anything, the player started to play the inserted SACD, so I just stopped playing manually, and then it was possible to extract the SACD.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, KVDB010 said:

In an earlier post I was somewhat disappointed by the apparent low speed at which ripping took place with the Pioneer BDP-160 via my wireless network. At certain times the speed of transfer was as low as 0.1 MB/s and remained at that level whatever I tried.

Wireless is always an alchemy. The speed depends on connection quality which depends on so many factors - obstacles (and their type) between you and the router (especially walls from concrete, not to speak about metal!), how properly the external antennas are mounted, reflections from walls, and mainly noise from other WiFis from all of your neighbours. The 2.4GHz band is pretty overcrowded everywhere and most people do not even care to configure the channels, so that all routers broadcast on the same default channel (automatic choice of channel is usually not very smart either). Constant streaming applications must thus either be extremely robust or they just have serious issues. I do not expect ripping from a physical media to leave much space for robustness and random delays in transmission. Even though the wireless technology has improved a lot during the last 15 years, it is also much more widely spread and using wires is still much safer and more reliable.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, ted_b said:

not for multichannel they don't. 

I guess this might be more a problem of a particular DLNA server and its configuration. They are often pretty limited in support of advanced formats, and even if they aren't, they may be configured to downsample or reasample hi-res by default. Watch out for DLNA, it is a tricky technology!

Anyway, playing anything/any-channel from a SMB mount or local USB/HDD is not a problem at all, for an Oppo.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, CuteStudio said:

Ah, I thought SACD was DSD only, is there a PCM standard for SACD too?

I got that from here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sacd-fundamentally-flawed.26075/page-3#post-459059

No. They obviously speak about SACDs produced by a conversion from PCM to DSD, and not from a direct recording to DSD. That logically implies, that if there are any real (or just imaginary) advantages of DSD as recording format, they will probably be completely void if the DSD is just a product of conversion from a "worse quality" PCM. Or to put it in another words: you can never gain any additional information (i.e. quality) by any conversion, you can always only loose (or keep it the same, in the best case)...

In theory, I can perhaps imagine some advantage of converting a superior 384/24 PCM to DSD, rather than to (let's say) 96/24 or even 44/16 PCM. But I cannot imagine any advantage of converting a 44/24 PCM to DSD, which is said to be comparable approximately to a 96/20 or 88/24 PCM (as far as the pure amount of information is concerned). It would just take more space, but it can hardly add any real value.

1 hour ago, art said:

So, my DAC (Ypsilon) will not convert DSD, only PCM to an analog output.

Now that  I've ripped all my SACDs, what PCM form should I chose?  I use Audiogate to transcode, so I can convert DSF rips to just about anything......  24/192, 24/176.4, 24/96, 24/88.2, etc

88.2/24 is considered the appropriate resolution of DSD in PCM. 96/24 at most. But some people seem to suggest even higher rates though...

See e.g. http://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, jkenton said:

Made another stick with same result. Words in error message the same but numbers were different.

I have also tried:

Verifying IP address

Rebooting router to force new IP address

Switch between ethernet > WIFI>ethernet 

Forget about network. This is a problem with your ISO2DSD. It is probably a bad/buggy version. Try to download a different version, ensure it is a stable version from a reliable source. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Barondla said:

Next tried the telenet recommendation. Must be doing it Incorrectly. Entered command prompt. The black screen showed c:\Users\Bobtelenet 10.0.0.11. Hit enter. Black screen said: warning 'telenet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. What did I do wrong?

It is "telnet", not "telenet". And there is no telnet working on the Oppo anyway, so no point in trying that.

Wow! So great you found out! I always wished to telnet to the Oppo and have a look around. How did you find out? Just trial&error? I also wonder who found the CLI_app commands and how? There is surely more of them, I guess.

I have been one of those stating that telnet does not work on the Oppo (if not the first one) because that was my conclusion. I tried first with the Pioneer scripts and failed. Then I found the Oppo scripts without the telnet and they worked. I tried adding the call to the telnet daemon and they failed as well. So I came to the conclusion there is either no telnet daemon or it is located in a different path. But without any telnet connection one can hardly look around for the telnet daemon. And I supposed there was some reason why the telnet daemon call was removed in the Oppo scripts. So I just asked in the forum and there was no answer and I gave up. I don't have time to hack around, but I always wondered who found all of this and how. The inetd might be found by trial&error, but the CLI_app codes cannot be guessed without some internal documentation.

7 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

The caveat here is that Apple decided to protect us all from ourselves and took the telnet client away from us in High Sierra so you will need to find a PuTTY like alternative for your Mac first if you want to go down that path. 

... e.g. using macports. They will turn any Mac into a complete GNU/BSD distro, so you can easilly install anything.

(Or homebrew, if still alive...)

I'm probably already losing my mind... found the flash disk I used last time, checked the scripts and the call to inetd is there! Started my Oppo with the flash drive and... the telnet connection works! What am I presenting here about the not-working telnet on Oppo all the time? Sorry to everyone for confusion, but I am completely puzzled myself. (Oh, and the telnet in the macports distribution is temporarily broken, but that is not my fault anymore, I swear! A bad day...)

Anyway, I always wondered why there are two scripts with different names and the same contents. It just doesn't make sense. So, removing the "Autoscript.TSS" breaks things, but removing the "Autoscript" makes no difference. So, the Oppo obviously only uses the first script. What is the purpose of the second one? Is it for non-Oppo players?

The system seems to be a standard Linux armv7 environment. Some 320MB RAM, plenty of free space when idle. I have not found much interesting there yet, but I will have a look as soon as I find more time. Maybe we can find some clues about the system and the scripts? There must be some parser or interpreter of the scripts somewhere - probably just some undecipherable compiled binary, though. I am not really experienced in reverse-engineering, unfortunately.

So, I have dumped the contents of the Linux firmware from inside the Oppo and here are some observations:

1) As expected, the whole thing is managed and controlled by a single giant binary called "bdpprog". Just put it into google and you get the same information confirmed by people, who did some more detailed reverse-engineering of the Sony players. So, all the machines seem to be based both on the same hardware as well as software. Of course, this does not imply they will be identical, nor they will all be as easily usable to rip SACD (if at all). The people have obviously been trying to hack into the machine. I have not seen them to mention anything about the "AutoScript", but they tried other (and more difficult) ways. I have not studied their pages and results thoroughly, but maybe we could find more information there? Or maybe it is obsolete?

2) The mounting of the USB flashdisk is probably only done once on the device boot, by the init scripts. But that's nothing new...

3) The mounted device is statically limited just to the /dev/sda1, which means partition number 1 of the first drive only. I have wondered about the discussions about the need to have the USB flash disk made bootable or whatever... that did't make much sense to me. But I noticed one of my late microSD cards was formatted with a single partition assigned as number 4 (instead of 1) from the factory. I have no idea why. But if this also happens with the USB flash disks, that would explain the problems: this cannot be solved just by reformatting, the partition table must be changed. I suppose that the side effect of making the USB disks bootable is also changing the partition number back to 1. But the "bootable" capability is hardly of any importance by itself.

4) The path "/mnt/sda1/AutoScript/AutoScript.TSS" is hardcoded into the bdpprog binary. That means that this program is probably also reading and interpreting the scripts (it might also run some other program to do that, but it also contains the strings "CLI(CLI_" and "SLEEPMS(", which means it probably parses the script itself). Anyway, the other copy of "AutoScript" file is obviously useless, at least in the Oppo, as mentioned before.

And just one more experience I have mentioned before: turning "autoplay" off is not that crucial. I remember I forgot to do that the first time and as soon as I just stopped the automatic playback manually using the STOP button, the ripping just worked. (But, again, this is my Oppo experience and does not speak for other players.)

19 hours ago, dtblair said:

I wonder if the Sony bdpprog binary is similar and is always looking for the sda1 directory?

You can copy the binary to your USB drive and open it in some text editor. In unix, you can use the "strings" command to extract just pieces of strings from the unreadable binary - they are easier to search. 

You can also look at the init scripts, in Oppo it especially concerns the "/etc/init.d/usb_init.sh", which contains the command "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb"...

Wait, didn't I mention that the bdpprog contains the path "/mnt/sda1/AutoScript/AutoScript.TSS" and not "/mnt/usb/..."? Right. So maybe those things are not directly related? I will need another look into the running machine...

20 minutes ago, mutant_matt said:

I did ask at the time, but didn't get a response, if anybody with a  CA752/Oppo103/5 was willing to do a full directory list of their player via telnet (to file), and send me the file, I might be able to poke into it a little further, but not surprisingly, I didn't get any offers.. ;):)

Do you want a full dump of the filesystem, or just the listing? :-) I have just made a copy of the full filesystem in my Oppo 105, as mentioned above.