IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

• 2 weeks later...

To iwf

Recheck the basics.

Check that you're using the correct IP address, although, if you're pinging it, it sounds like you have that correct.

What happens when you try to make a telnet connection with "telnet 192.168.etc"

Connection refused?

Try a new or fresh USB stick with the folders. We have had many cases of people using models such as the Oppo ones that we know will work who didn't get it to work until they tried different USB sticks.

Finally, check out the instructions of this Japanese blogger who is using a slightly different script.

Here's the link which goes to Google translate. (If not, run it through Google translate.)

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://mimizukobo.sakura.ne.jp/articles/articles018.html&prev=search

Here's the relevant part translated:

[h=1]SACD ripping Act 2 Act (2)[/h][h=3]How to telnet[/h]It is an introduction on how to invade BDP (Blu-ray Disc player) using the highlight of the second act, telnet. It is the same way that sneaks into the impregnable "Navaroon's fortress", sets a bomb on the elevator, causing great confusion.

The telnet method with BDP-170 has detailed commentary on # 71 there is another for the manual telnet sacd_extraction . You ought to do so. The first part of the message explains the difference between oppo script and Toshiba script. The second part is telnet commentary.

For ripping method using telnet # 695 Telnetting into and issuing "sacd_extract - I" rips directly to the connected disc is introduced . After logging in with telnet, you should enter AutoScript and execute sacd_extract.

Here I will show you how I tried. Because it is different environment, it is somewhat different from # 695. I think that this one is a bit simpler than # 71.

Turn on the BDP - 170 and set the SACD.

Edit a text file with the following contents with notepad.

# MTKAT 0.xx script CLI (CLI_exec / usr / sbin / inetd &) SLEEPMS (3000) CLI (CLI_exec echo root :: 0: 0: root ,,,: / root: / bin / sh> / etc / passwd) CLI (CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg) CLI (CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start) SLEEPMS (5000) Place the text file as a script named AutoScript and AutoScript.TSS in a directory named AutoScript and save it in the root of the USB memory.

Extract the archive from Maldur's dropbox described last time and retrieve the AutoScript directory. Change the name to AutoScriptSACD. Save AutoScriptSACD in the root of the USB memory.

170 is plugging in the USB for telnet with the power on.

When "ABCDERG ..." is displayed on the panel, telnet is started with putty.

Linux 2.6.35 (192.168.0.9) (pts / 0) Mtk8530 login: root - sh - 3.2 # ls / mnt / sda 1 / AutoScript AutoScript SACD BUDA System Volume Information -sh-3.2 # cd / mnt / sda 1 / AutoScriptSACD / -sh-3.2 # ./sacd_extract_ 160 - I [0]: convert_string (): Conversion not supported. Charsets: ISO646 - JP -> UTF - 8 Processing [bPHR STEREO SOUND SAMPLER (1) .iso] (1/1) .. · · · Completed: 1% (47.0 MB), Total: 1% (3272.1 MB) at 2.24 MB / secLs / mnt / sda 1 / is for checking the directory contents. It is possible to ripping by inserting the memory, launching telnet, moving the directory, and executing sacd_extract_ 160.

The advantage of this method is that if you have a high-speed USB connected hard disk, you can quickly and efficiently ripping (also written in # 695). Since data can be transferred directly internally, it can be processed at the highest speed.

As for telnet, tmtomh went to # 120 Is it true far that far far from the Oppo (and now Cambridge) units refuse the telnet connection, while the Pioneer 160/170 accepts it? Not an issue for SACD ripping, but just curious ... Ted_b has revealed that telnet and ripping are irrelevant ( # 126 This is all great feedback ... that the most foreign of steps (telnet) is now an option worth Skipping .

An opening message is written in this unclear situation, so be careful.

• 2 months later...

To haggis99

The Telnet method uses a different script and, as far as I remember, only works with the Pioneer, not with the Oppo.

(And one telnets to a different port than port 2002 in any event.)

So I wouldn't get sidetracked with trying to telnet.  Pinging is sufficient to see whether you have a network connection to your player.

To Matt,

I see what you are saying but this is what I do not understand,

As far as I know, the telnet function of an Oppo or a Pioneer is not normally running.

You need a script to gain root access to turn on the telnet genie and change the password to something known.

So one needs to run one of the scripts to get telnet access.

And as far as I know no one has gotten telnet access to the Oppo (as opposed to the Pioneer).

If one tries to connect via Telnet to a Pioneer without the script running, the response will be "access denied."

To the extent you get this response, as opposed to "unable to reach 192.168. etc," then you have I suppose verified that you at least have a network connection to the right IP address.  But I don't know if this adds anything more than a Ping test.

So the scenarios are

(1) a successful telnet connection (requires root access through a script).  Indicates a successful network connection to the player too of course.

mudkip@mudkip:~$ telnet 192.168.1.139
Trying 192.168.1.139...
Connected to 192.168.1.139.
Escape character is '^]'.

(2) A failed telnet connection attempt that at least shows you're using the right IP address and thus indicates a network connection to the player

Trying 192.168.1.139...
Access denied

(3) A failed telnet connection where you do not even have the right IP address and thus indicates you do not even have a network connection to the player

Trying 192.168.1.139...
Unable to connect to 192.168.1.139...

Note that in most telnet terminal programs (here Linux) you do not indicate the port.  The telnet command uses the default port.   Port 2002 is not a telnet port and cannot be checked this way.  2002 is a port the SACD ripper program uses and the SACD ripper program has to run successfully to open it up.)

So haggis999, the best you can hope for is scenario 2.  And if you get scenario 3, then you need to troubleshoot the IP address for your player or other basic network connection issues.

I rip "locally," that is directly to a USB drive connected to the player.  (This is possible with a Pioneer using a Telnet connection and is documented earlier in this thread.)  This removes any network lag from the ripping process, but my rip rates are still around those discussed above -- 2 - 3 mbps, around 20 - 30 minutes per disc depending on the size of the SACD.  The rip process itself is about 4x at most and this cannot be sped up.  So while it is always useful to try to speed up your network connections, you may not see great results here because of the nature of the SACD ripping process.

• 3 weeks later...

The question is whether one can rip locally (that is to an attached USB thumbdrive or harddrive) using the new method with Oppos and Pioneers.  The answer is Yes.  Several posters here have done so.  Search for posts by "Roberto."  This can be a good method for those with a slow network connection to their player. 

However, looking back on the post by LeonJehae, it is not clear that that was what he was doing.  It seems like he was ripping to his computer through the network but was worried about the FAT32 4GB file size limit on his computer.  But no major computer operating system has used FAT32 as their file system since Windows 98.  So I think he never had a problem to begin with.

I think FAT32 is still around and still supported in Windows because of its compatibility with other OS's

Yes, of course, FAT32 is still supported in Windows, in the sense that a computer running Windows can read this file system.  Windows can read a number of different file systems (like UDF on DVDs etc.)

My only point was that Windows currently uses NTFS as the file system for its operating system (and has since at least Windows XP) and consequently there is no file size limitation issue when copying large files to a Windows computer via network, which I think was what LeonJehae was worried about.

• 2 weeks later...

@frfrtx

In order to create a SACD-R from ripped .dsf files you would need, in effect, a SACD authoring program.

Such a program exists somewhere for professional use, but I have never seen it available generally.

Sony actually created a simple format for a "DSD disc" by which you can author it with .dsf files.

The problem is that DSD discs are only read by the PS3 and a few other Sony players the SCD-XA5400ES  and  the SCD-XE800.

I made one for kicks and played it on my PS3 but the format is otherwise pretty useless.

This is why everyone recommends ripping to .iso and saving that before extracting .dsf files.

You'll have to go back and rip the .isos on those SACD discs if you only have the .dsf files.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any region-free modification has no effect on the exploit being used here, which concerns the most basic structure of the player, as many previous posts have confirmed.

As mentioned in a post long ago (back when they had numbers, it was 71) there are at least three different Autoscript folders and one should be used for the Oppo and the others for the Pioneer.  The Oppo does not use the Telnet one.

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, there are customizations out there. So here goes: There are at least three different Autoscripts:
* the one I originally linked (and seems to be working fine for some CA Oppo users, for example) is the one for automatic sacd_extract execution. It's contents looks like this:
#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract /)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

* below is a similar Autoscript with extra buffering for the BDP-160 (see my dropbox link below or Maldur's post and follow instructions)

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)
CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

* there is another for the manual telnet sacd_extraction and requires command line execution, but allows one to watch via telnet, and add buffering manually. It's content looks like this:
#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec echo root::0:0:root,,,:/root:/bin/sh >/etc/passwd)
CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/telnetd &)
SLEEPMS(3000)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start)
SLEEPMS(5000)

@billbillw

Very interesting observation on the BDP-S790.

If you can find the service manual for the Sony BDP-S185 could you check that one for the part too?  As I mentioned in my initial post, I own a Sony BDP-S185 and can personally attest that the exploit works on that model too (I can telnet in and have root control). It doesn’t work for SACD ripping because this model is not SACD capable.  It would be interesting to see what the correlations are between part number and the mediatek chipset and exploit vulnerability in the various Sony models.

@ [email protected]

The Sony BDP-S485 is a model I did not previously know about.

From its service manual, it’s a Sony Blu-Ray player model with SACD and Karaoke from 2011-2012 marketed in China, Singapore, Thailand, and Russia,

The question is whether it has the chipset of the S590 family from 2012 or the S580 family from 2011.  I could not get a S580 to work for ripping.  So if the S585 is like the S580 it will not work.

It is certainly worth trying however because the S485 has SACD capability and is close to the right time range.

The lack of the front tray opening is not necessary a sign that it will not work.

There are different versions of the exploit and not all of them open the front tray.

I have been using the telnet method for the Pioneer 160 and that version does not open the tray.

The telnet method is best for figuring out exactly what is going on because you get actual feedback from the player as you issue the commands.

The telnet method is described early on in this thread.  I or a colleague are planning to post our detailed guide to using the telnet method with the S590 soon.

(To be clear, the S590 also works with the “server” method in combination with iso2DSD.  It is just that I haven’t personally used that method in long time, since I prefer the telnet method.)