IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Okay, just found this thread today. Own an Oppo BDP-105 connected via Ethernet to Windows 7 PC. Minimally computer literate, that's probably being kind. Was able to find my players IP address, was able to download Ted's files form his Dropbox account and put the two Autoscript files onto a USB drive. My issue is with the SACD Extraction file. I downloaded it and put it in a file in my docs, but I am unclear as what to do next. Another member, gills?, said copy the file to a drive on your PC. What drive? Certainly not my DVD drive. The right click menu, move to, doesn't give me the option to move the file directly to the HDD, so I am unclear as to what, copy file to a drive, means. If it means into a folder in docs or similar I have done that, but I cannot open the file, plus I cannot see the cmd extension either. I also have no idea how to get it to run. What am I doing wrong. After you have all stopped shaking your heads or laughing hysterically I would appreciate a little guidance if at all possible. Thanks.

It's possible anti virus program has snagged SACD_EXTRACT.EXE and quarantined it. Is it still in the folder where you placed it?

Did you download the Sonore ISO2DSD program? It cuts out a lot of manual uncertainty.

The small (1-4GB is plenty) USB thumb drive must contain one folder called Autoscript in the root of the thumb drive and in that folder contains 3 files only as shown. The .TSS is the only file with the extension, the remainder have no extensions.

Autoscript

Autoscript.TSS

sacd_extract

Enclosed is procedure for a Cambridge CXU player, since I don't own an Oppo, the two are 99% the same as far as ripping SACD is concerned.

No I didn't download the Sonore ISO2DSD program. I didn't see it listed in the link Ted posted. When I click on that link I only see the two Autoscript files and the sacd_extract file. I think one of the mistakes I made was I put the sacd_extract file onto my PC. It looked to me by the instructions left by Grills that that was the correct thing to do. Where is the Sonore program download located? I will attempt to follow the instructions you posted..

You are correct. The sacd_extract file belongs on your PC because you will be extracting the data to that folder from the disc and over your network.

Sonore iso2dsd is a free download you can google.

Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD

It would appear that this is just all above my capabilities. Not sure why. Perhaps I am just not being very clear about the issues I am having or I am just unable to follow the instructions correctly. Or something else, I don't know. I appreciate the effort however.

When I click on the link that Ted posted at the top of page two of this thread I see three separate downloads. The Autoscript, the Autoscript. TSS and the sacd_extract. I wasn't able to send any of them unzipped directly to a USB drive. The option didn't come up. The only options that came up where to open or show in a file. I located and sent the two Autoscript files to the USB drive individually, but when I put the USB drive into my Oppo after turning off the auto play and auto resume, nothing happens. Man, I can't even get past that point. Oh and to answer a previous question my anti-virus has not quarantined the files or anything like that. Would love to be able to rip my sizable SACD collection, but starting to get frustrated and beginning to think the operation is beyond my very limited PC knowledge and skills.

Perhaps it is just time to give up on the idea. Too bad i was so exited, especially when everyone was commenting on how simple it is. Not simple enough for me apparently. Oh well.

Let's not give up just yet. You have downloaded three files. I'm going to assume they are unzipped and in two folders somewhere on your PC (let's say C:/Downloads/Compressed/Autoscript and C:/Downloads/Compressed/SACD_extract).

Actually they are in three folders on my PC.

The contents of Autoscript, you MUST be able to copy to any location connected to that PC. This includes a USB stick, unless this is a laptop from work where the usb ports have been locked out for security reasons or something. When you right-click on the files, can you:

1. select copy? If yes, can you

2. In Windows explorer, find the USB drive (e.g. E:/Kingston or E:/USB drive )? If so, can you

3. double-Click on the USB drive name and then right-click, followed by paste in the drive?

If not, please describe exactly what steps you take, as we are troubleshooting this blind.

When I right click on the Autoscript folder I get a full menu of options including send to. I sent the file to the USB drive that way. When I click copy nothing happens. I am running Windows 7.

The contents of SACD_extract, you copy somewhere on your PC in a location where you have room to copy and extract the large SACD files. Let's say at the root of C:, which means the SACD_extract files are now in a folder called C:/SACD_extract.

I have no clue how to copy to the root of the C drive. I saved the sacd_extract download into a folder in my documents.

Next, inside the SACD folder, locate the SACD.cmd file. Right-click and open with Notepad. You will see a text file looking like this:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.106:2002 -P -I

I can't get into the sacd_extract folder at all never mind the cmd portion of it. When I click open it gives me a whole bunch of options, including Adobe, won't work, Windows Media Player, won't work and Notepad. Tried to open in Notepad and what I see is a whole mess of indiscernible gibberish that looks like code, hundreds of lines of it, or some foreign language.

Look at your Oppo setup on screen (on your TV) and note the IP address on the screen. Edit the line in Notepad to match that IP address and do not change anything else.

I have my Oppo's IP address written down, but I can't get to where I need to to input it.

For instance, mine looks like this:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.19:2002 -P -I

Save the file. Disable autorun on your Oppo setting.

Stick the USB stick in the Oppo and cycle the power. The drawer should open.

Load a SACD and close the drawer. Nothing should happen.

On your PC, double-click sacd.cmd.

A black DOS window should open en in a few seconds, the sacd should begin extracting.

Hopefully I am supplying the information you require. I know it must be difficult to try and trouble shoot an issue such as this remotely. I truly appreciate all the effort.

No problem, let's take one further step back.

The files you downloaded, like sacd_extract which you can't access, right-click on one of them and in the options at the bottom, it should say properties. Click on that. In the window that opens up, one of the first data points will be File Type.

If it says 'File Folder' your files were extracted and ready to use, but that would also imply you can get into the folder and look at the two files inside. If on the other hand the file type says something like 'ZIP file', then you must first unzip the contents (right-click, followed by 'extract here')...

Let me know.

Yes I did that and all properties says is file, not file folder or zipped file, just file. Very strange. Perhaps all of this is due to an issue with my PC, even though it appears to be running normally, or perhaps an issue with the link that Ted posted.

I remember downloading some zip files not too long ago and upon right clicking on the file I was given the option to send the unzipped files directly to a USB stick. This was a firmware file for my friends Oppo BDP-83se. Don't worry I deleted that file and re-formatted the USB drive to fat32 before putting the Autoscript files onto it.

I just went to the links posted by Ted on his dropbox. When I choose download, it downloads both directories as a single ZIP file called SACD.

When I UNZIP the downloaded file (choosing 'extract here', I get two directories or folders:

One folder called Autoscript with 3 files inside

One folder called SACD_extract with two files inside.

The three files from Autoextract are to be copied over to a USB.

The other two inside sacd-extract, you can put anywhere you like, as long as you remember where you put them.

Is that different from what you are seeing so far?

Yes, that is completely different than what I am seeing. I am seeing two download files inside a box. One is the Autoscript the other is the sacd_extractor. When I click on the Autoscript one it then splits into a second Autoscript file, the TSS one. That now leaves three download files in the box, each one needing to be downloaded separately.

Yes, that is completely different than what I am seeing. I am seeing two download files inside a box. One is the Autoscript the other is the sacd_extractor. When I click on the Autoscript one it then splits into a second Autoscript file, the TSS one. That now leaves three download files in the box, each one needing to be downloaded separately.

Okay I see where I messed up. I didn't use the download button in the top right. I did now and I get a single zip file titled SACD, but when I attempt to Extraxct Here I get a dialogue box indicating there is some error or issue. Man.

Wow,

you do have more than your fair share of computer issues.

Ok, rightclick on the SACD zip file and try another option (like 'extract files'), or just double-click on the zip and see if it allows you to look inside...

Okay, I managed to get the unzipped Autoscript files and the sacd_extract file onto the USB flash drive, inserted it into my Oppo and the drawer still does not open. I'm going back to bed,LOL.

I initially did not set my player to manual from DHCP and did not turn My Network off. Then did that tried it again and it still wouldn't work.

I don't know what to do now.

Ok, now I am out of ideas remotely. Do you have anyone who shares your hobby or who is PC-savvy who can help you out on site? This really does work but any one of a little missteps can cause you to miss or misread a step and then it does not work...

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it. Don't really know anyone who would know what to do with this. It's not the end of the world. Perhaps I don't have the zip files in the root of the USB. When I plug the USB drive into my PC and view the contents the folder located there is the SACD folder and the Autoscript and sacd_extract files are in a sub-folder.

Um, no. The autoscript folder should be copied to the root on the USB drive and should contain the 3 files rather than putting the 3 files in the root. The left side of the picture I included shows the drive letter and folder while the right side shows the files that are in the folder. Good sound's previous reply at least implied that there's another folder involved so that the path to the tss file (and the other 2 files) would end up being \SACD\AutoScript\AutoScript.tss instead of \AutoScript\AutoScript.tss.

Yes that's correct. I now have the files loaded correctly on the USB drive. I inserted it into my Oppo and, whataya know, the drawer opened. So, now what. I inserted an SACD and SACD came up on the Oppo display. Nothing happened. I am still not sure what to run,where it might be, and how to get it to run.

Get ISO2DSD going on PC and put in ip numbers from player. Update java or install it if need be. Your almost there...

ISO2DSD runs from the folder, there is no installing the program. It uses Java as a framework, so make sure after you have ISO2DSD unzipped into the folder you want, and where the SACD iso's will be ripped to, that you have java installed. In the folder you will see "iso2dsd_gui". There should be a little java icon. Click that to open it. Put in ip numbers, output mode raw data, push execute.

I can open the cdm command prompt, but can't seem to change the IP address to the Oppo's, plus everytime I start running the cdm it stops running after about 10 to 15 seconds.

I use the simple method from post #129. Sorry. I like a GUI which ISO2DSD provides and if you plan on converting to PCM from the ISO, you will have to use something like ISO2DSD anyway. But hey, if you want to bother with command prompts and fooling around with manual editing, have at it.
y

Most likely another misunderstanding on my part. I thought I had to rip to the CMD.exe first then convert with Sonore after the fact. Are you saying I can run Sonore and rip directly to there and do the iso to dsf conversion on the fly?

I have a few things. First, I noticed that once I moved the converted files into JRiver Media Center they are showing up as 5.6 MHz dff files. Is there any way to convert 5.6 MHz dff files into 2.8 MHz simply, so that they will be recognized by my FiiO X5? The X5 doesn't do 5.6 MHz. Also is there a way with the Sonore software to convert to dsf instead of dff, for tagging and meta data purposes of course.

Lastly, most of my SACD'S have been ripped in about fifteen to twenty minutes, with the MB/sec gradually increasing as the rip progresses. However with one disc, so far, Miles David's Kind of Blue the ripping process has taken well over an hour with the MB/sec continuously decreasing as the rip progresses. Has anyone else encountered this, with this title or any other?

Just tell JRMC to output all DSD as 2.8.

Yes. Just click the DSF box instead of the DFF box.

Thanks Cal. Not sure how to do that with JRiver, but I'll explore and should be able to figure it out. This is for transferring the files to a SD card for playback on my portable not for playback through JRiver.

I opened the appropriate drop down menu in Sonore, but I don't remember seeing a dsf option. I will look again.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having an issue with the Sonore iso2DSD software. I haven't ripped an SACD for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I ripped an SACD and when I went to convert the file to DSF using iso2DSD i kept getting a please select files to convert, no files selected when I hit the Execute button. This is happening despite the fact that I have indeed actually chosen a file, it shows up in the proper box when selected. Nothing else has changed and all the settings are correct, including the IP address in the server input. Even selecting previous iso's that have already been converted does not work. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Haven't ripped an SACD in awhile, and every time I do I remember why I haven't finished ripping anything more than a few of my 100+ titles. I can rip the raw ISO no problem, but whenever I use Sonore to convert to DSF it will not execute unless I agree to update the archive. To do this I must allow Sonore to update every SACD file from every SACD I have ripped so far. Also it seems to need to do this two or three times for every ISO file I convert at an approximate time frame of twenty minutes per update. Like this it is now taking way more than an hour to rip and convert each SACD and this is with only seven titles ripped so far. How long will it take once that number starts to grow and updating the archive takes much, much longer?

I am running Windows 7. My default browser is Chrome which has known issues running Java. My sonore opens up in a now expired Win Rar eval copy not Java. Have tried updating Java, but I keep getting a message that Chrome is not conmpatible with the latest version of Java. From recollection this problem didn't occur with the first few SACD's I ripped.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is happening? As it stands right now it's more trouble than it's worth, for the most part. I have switched gears a bit and instead of working through my collection alphabetically I am now concentrating solely on my non-hybrid SACD's and just sticking to the ripped redbook layers of the hybrids for portable use.

My SACD exe has suddenly stopped working. Was spending the bulk of my Saturday morning ripping SACD's without issue. Inserted my eighth or ninth disc into the Oppo, clicked on the SACD exe like always, and a message came up that the SACD exe has stopped working. I allowed Windows to search for a solution, but none was found. Very strange that this would happen so suddenly.

Sacd.exe can crash for many reasons: when there is no connection to the player or when there is no SACD in the player (or the player is set to read the CD layer). Check these things first.

I thank you for the response, but as I mentioned in my post I had been successfully ripping SACD'S the entire morning. I had made no changes to any of the players settings and there was definitely a disc in the drawer.

What I didn't mention is that I tried another SACD and got the same message. Attempting to launch the exe without a disc in the player also brought up the prompt. I will try to re-insert the thumb drive again and see if it works. Short of that, what is the solutio, to delete and re-load the exe software?