IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

This one works too!

I purchased a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD and successfully ripped my first SACD with it. This is a good option for a lower cost player available in the US. I was able to find an Amazon warehouse deal for a "used" one under $150, though there are none that low at the moment. It will be nice not to have to worry about my PS3 which seems to die once a year.

Thanks for this, just placed an order for the BDP-80FD!

I really wanted an Oppo (ideally the BDP-105D) but I admitted to myself I don't really foresee watching a ton of Blu-Ray movies, or having any other big need for this machine besides ripping a few hundred SACDs, so hoping this Pioneer will suffice!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Thanks a lot for your reply. As I understand from the thread a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD would do the job. Can someone please confirm this before I order one.

See post #s 164, and 238.

I've ordered one based on that information and will have additional feedback on this unit as soon as tomorrow night.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Thanks for the quick response....

Yes, I can ping the Oppo from the PC (both PCs I've tried it on) - 4 packets sent, 4 packets received. I can play music pulled from both PCs on the Oppo.

I have waited before starting the rip - SACD appears on the Oppo home screen under the disc icon (tried several different SACDs... Cars - Heartbeat City, Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky, Billy Joel - The Stranger).

Yes both autoplay and auto resume have been disabled.

I am having that identical problem, same exact error message from iso2dsd, but on my Mac mini using the Pioneer BDP-80FD.

Same circumstances you have described, I can ping the machine, my router sees it, Auto Play/Resume off, etc... and I get that same exact message about 10 seconds after hitting execute in iso2dsd.

And I thought everything was going so smoothly. Anyone with any thoughts about what to try?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I am having that identical problem, same exact error message from iso2dsd, but on my Mac mini using the Pioneer BDP-80FD.

Same circumstances you have described, I can ping the machine, my router sees it, Auto Play/Resume off, etc... and I get that same exact message about 10 seconds after hitting execute in iso2dsd.

And I thought everything was going so smoothly. Anyone with any thoughts about what to try?

I'll answer my own post, the problem on my end was solved by re-entering the IP address in iso2dsd and not allowing it to insert leading edge zeros.

For whatever reason the program wanted my entry of "10" to display as "010", "1" to be "01", and "15" to be "015".

After correcting that, I am ripping away! (Just call me a networking newb).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Thanks a lot. One on order.

Now, I am a complete and absolute technological ignorant. If you are on a Mac, would you be willing to post a blow by blow description of how you set it up to work. Please include answers to: 1) Do you have to connect the player to a TV to set it up?, 2) Can you connect the player directly to the computer using Ethernet or do you HAVE to go through a LAN?

Sorry for the naivete but I just want to make it work right the first time around.

Best.

I can do that and it wasn't hard so don't worry.

You do need the connection to the TV at least initially, so that you can go through the BDP-80FD's on screen set-up menus, to shut down auto play/resume etc... and also to test the network connection/jot down the player's IP address.

I don't know if you can connect the player directly to the Mac, I didn't try that and have no feedback there. My suggestion is don't do that, you are introducing another area of potential confusion and/or incompatibility, just connect to the LAN. I connected directly to the router but you could also connect to a switch if that is preferable, the main idea is connect to whatever will issue the BDP-80FD an IP address.

What kind of router and network configuration do you currently have?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

This whole thread is about computer-based ripping of SACDs using players as transports. However, once you have an SACD .iso, you can use ISO2DSD to extract .dff/.dsf files, which—as the name of the program suggests—is its primary function.

Speaking of which, did anyone else but me elect to skip the creation of the .ISO file and just have iso2dsd rip the SACD disc directly to .DSF files?

It worked just fine and saves some time too, or at least it does if all you were then going to do was create .DSF files and discard the .ISO.

I'm not at all suggesting that others don't have a real need for the .ISO file, either as their archive/back-up, or to use in burning a back-up SACD-R disc, but I don't really have a need for that and I'm pretty sure you could always just use the .DSF tracks as source files in iso2dsd to process a .ISO from, no?

Or do folks on this forum actually just play music from the .ISO and not create the .DSF tracks at all?

I play .DSF files from JRiver, but I believe JRiver will also play from a .ISO (however I've never tried it) but that would preclude the appending of album artwork unless I'm missing something?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

just got a pioneer bdp80fd from b&h brand new.

prepared a usb stick, insert the stick, says usb in, then the door opens

I insert a single layer sacd

then try the sacd_extract program

the first one from the archive crashes in windows 10

the one from iso2dsd says

failed to connect

libsacdread: can't open 192.168.2.200:2002 for reading

I can ping the ip address, but cannot telnet in.

ipaddress,gateway and dns are all correct, loads youtube just fine

any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Did the entry of the IP address in iso2dsd result in the insertion of any leading edge zeros?

For instance, did "2" become "002"? If so get rid of the extra zeros and you should be good to go.

If not, did you disable auto play/resume?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Jorg97 we are in the same boat. What was the manufacture date of your player ? Mine was Jan 2016. Just wonder Pioneer has problem with a batch of players. It seems the only way to switch between layers is the CD/SACD key in the remote, and there is no way setting default to SACD ?

My BDP-80fd has a date of manufacture of September 2015.

It has had no problems with any of the hybrid discs I've ripped.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Thanks. It looks only some BDP-80FD and BDP-160 are having problem reading hybrid discs, even as standalone blu ray player.

I will monitor my BDP-80fd for this problem, hopefully it won't crop up on my machine.

One thought as to the exact problem cause is shipping damage rather than defective product from the factory. Most manufacturers such as Pioneer have very good QC practices and extremely low defective rates.

On the other hand, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the packaging on my unit and thought it really should have been double boxed by Amazon, though in their defense they wouldn't necessarily know the carton's insides don't even have Styrofoam end caps, just folded die cut card board.

Back in the good ole' days, disc players often had transit screws to lock the player mechanism in place during shipping. You had to loosen those transit screws to free up the disc drive before using the machine. It protected the drive mechanism from rough ground shipment handling.

I wonder if these machines are prone to shipping damage where either the laser itself or the linear slide mechanism can be damaged or misaligned through rough treatment by the shipping carriers.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Just wondering, did you use the Pioneer 160 Autoscript package as-is (unmodified)? If so it's strange that mine had to be altered slightly.

I had no problem with telnet (PC, using Putty, which is how I found the script issue with my machine in the first place).

My BDP-80fd (manufactured Sept. 2015) is also using the original unmodified script with no issues, the files are accessed from the rear side USB port, and reside on an older (but not ancient) 8GB SanDisk USB 2.0 thumb drive.

I did not update the machine's firmware, it's running whatever version it shipped with (I'm at work right now and can't check the actual version #).

The discs are ripped using iso2dsd v6 for Mac.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

My BDP-80fd (manufactured Sept. 2015) is also using the original unmodified script with no issues, the files are accessed from the rear side USB port, and reside on an older (but not ancient) 8GB SanDisk USB 2.0 thumb drive.

I did not update the machine's firmware, it's running whatever version it shipped with (I'm at work right now and can't check the actual version #).

The discs are ripped using iso2dsd v6 for Mac.

My BDP-80fd shipped with/is still running firmware v01.01.

Because I am having no problems at all so far, I will intentionally not update that firmware as this machine is really just an SACD ripping platform for me, I don't need it to do anything else.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

You sure do with me.

About to to order an Oppo 103, BTW, specifically for ripping only after two crashed PS3s costing me about $600 total. I have one working PS3 left. I expect an Oppo will last quite a few years. No offense to Pioneer guys, and I know they are cheaper and will do the job. But, there are Ford guys and there are Chevvy guys. I have been an Oppo guy for over 10 years, and I have huge respect for the company.

No offense taken here, Oppo makes really nice machines.

I find the build quality of the Pioneer to be rather mediocre, the packaging protection decidely subpar, and the reports of others potentially having received defective or easily damaged in transit units rather troubling.

I am now praying my BDP-80fd will survive a few hundred SACD rips.

I was torn between spending $200 more for what I knew would be a nicer machine (the Oppo BDP-103) or trying to go on the cheap with the Pioneer BDP-80fd.

I sort of wish in retrospect I had sprung for the extra $200, though so far no problems with my particular sample of the Pioneer (knock on wood).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 months later...
I have the BDP-170 - which is similar of not identical to the BDP-80FD - and I only use it for SACD ripping. I've tried it's Blu-ray and file playback functions and I didn't like the ease of use at all (compared to my Oppo 93). The reviews are also rather mixed.

The SACD ripping function is so precious to me (and this might never come back with future players) that I would not want to wear out this flimsy device (it's hardly heavier than the box it came in) playing Blu-ray movies all the time.

I feel the same about the BDP-80fd, less than inspiring build quality means I'll dedicate that machine to SACD ripping and not wear it out trying to have it multitask as a disc or file player.

In retrospect I probably should have just spent the extra cash and bought the better built Oppo BDP-103.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Album Artwork...

Sorry if it has been already answered but I have gone thru most of the thread and searched and googled and can't find a how to, if there is one. Using Oppo 105d and iMac and ripping Sacd's no problem however I would like to add atleast cover art so they would show up when using Kinsky or BubbleUpnp streaming from my Melco. Thanks

You've converted the ISO files to .dsf?

On a Mac I use Kid3 Audio Tagger, it does a great job in terms of adding album art, and fixing any tags that need fixing.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 1 month later...
First, a huge thanks to the folks who developed this and @ted_b who brought it here. My (second) old PS3 was hacking, coughing and sending out flashes of yellow light, so I found an open box BDP-80FD at Best Buy. So nice to have something new with a warranty (and that unlike the PS3, doesn't need a third party fan that sounds like a helicopter taking off to try to get adequate cooling). The USB stick setup for the BDP-160 works beautifully with the BDP-80FD.

I'm able to stream the iso to my Mac, which is convenient. However, iso extraction to DSF seems quite a bit slower than on Windows. Is this due to the need to package sacd_extract with Java? Any method of extracting more rapidly on OS X? If not, I can always bounce the iso to Windows or Linux for extraction, though that would be a little less convenient, or just wait for the longer extraction on OS X.

Have you tried Sonore's iso2dsd for the extraction to DSF?

I have no Windows or Linux point of comparison for speed, but the .dsf extracts on my Mac mini using iso2dsd go pretty darned fast for me.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 weeks later...
I've looked through quite a few pages of this thread to see what players would and would not work. I don't see any sort of table, the only ones that consistently seem to work are the Oppo 103D and 105D. Are there any others?

Pioneer BDP-160/170

Pioneer Elite BDP-80fd

The above units are essentially identical, with the 160/170 intended for the Europe and Asia markets, and the Elite a North America model if I'm not mistaken.

The Pioneer units do not exhibit the same build quality as the Oppos, however you can still find them available, where the Oppo 103/105 were replaced with a newer model incompatible with SACD ripping and are now very hard to find.

The Pioneer should suffice if all you are using it for is SACD ripping, however if you intend to use the Pioneer for general movie/Blu-Ray player use as well, it might not have the same longevity as an Oppo due to the obviously inferior build.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 1 month later...
I think it won't work. Imho there's a greater chance of a stand-alone ripping drive being developed than a working Pio 150.

Is there any indication at all that the Mr. Wicked solution, or some other stand-alone ripping drive development is any closer to reality?

I am concerned with the questionable build quality of my Pioneer Elite BDP-80fd, so much so that I'm strongly considering the now $600 discounted and soon to be discontinued/extinct Cambridge CXU at $799.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

MikeyFresh,

Your player is just playing the disc when it is ripping it. Even a cheaper drive is designed to play back discs a thousand times. But I'm sure the Cambridge CXU is a fine player.

Understood, however the number of BDP-80fd units that have difficulty reading the SACD layer of a hybrid disc even when the player is brand new right out of the box is a big red flag for me.

Thankfully my unit has never exhibited that problem, and (knock on wood) hopefully will continue to function properly.

However that issue seems to be related to a misalignment of the transport mechanism and laser assembly, and it's not user adjustable/replaceable from what little I can tell in looking at the service manual, you need a special jig to properly align the thing, and I've seen that movie before from the likes of Sony and Marantz years ago with essentially un-repairable SACD players.

That's not only annoying, but it seems these Pioneer units were made to be throw away items, I wouldn't know that for sure until such day as getting a repair quote, but I'm betting the cost of repair is intentionally made to be similar to buying a whole new unit.

I also don't easily see in looking at the service manual even the correct part number or exact assembly needed, nor anyone out there right now offering such a part described as compatible, even if I were able to install/align it myself. It seems Pioneer has made that intentionally murky, and they may only offer that part/assembly installed through one of their authorized repair places.

All fine and good for the movie watcher I guess, $250 (or so) as a street price for the BDP-80fd isn't the end of the world, but what would be far worse for me is the day when no more new-in-box Blu-Ray players with the Mediatek MT8560 and 8580 chipsets are easily available.

So I'm considering snapping up another compatible player now, as I've been disappointed with the availability and pricing of used Oppo units, and I think I'd rather have a brand new Oppo-based CXU at $799.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I pulled the trigger on a Cambridge CXU to supplement my existing Pioneer BDP-80fd ripping set-up.

While hardly palatable at $799, the CXU is a really well-made machine and I couldn't pass up the current $600 discounted from retail close-out pricing.

I should have bought an Oppo BDP-103 when they were $499, but that ship has now unfortunately sailed.

Using a nearly identical SanDisk Cruzer 8GB thumb drive as I am on the Pioneer, I loaded the Oppo-specific files and after the initial set-up menus in the player I was ripping away.

I then tested two rips running at once, one upstairs on the existing BDP-80fd to Mac mini set, and the other downstairs on the CXU to a MacBook Air.

Bingo, two for one ripping with the added bonus of extra exercise, lots of running up and down the steps for 2 hours monitoring and changing discs, I did about 26GB worth of rips over a couple of hours before getting tired and shutting down for the night.

Unlike the Pioneer which I have reserved exclusively for SACD ripping duties, the CXU will assume a multitasking role in my living room video-based system.

If you can stomach the $799, the CXU comes highly recommended as a nice quality machine (just my initial impression only time will tell) with supposedly enhanced power supply and analog output stage as compared to the Oppo BDP-10x units.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, CatManDo said:

I've ripped several hundred hybrid SACDs with a Pioneer 170 (which is similar or even identical to the FD80). I only had to reload a couple of discs, since the Pioneer at first recognized them as CDs. But it always worked the second time. No problem ripping them, except for one scratched disc (which also failed on my Oppo 103).

+1 on this, I've done the same with a Pioneer BDP-80fd, only a handful of hybrid discs read the first time around as a CD.

Upon ejecting and reloading them, they were all read as SACDs the second time around and ripped just fine.

Keeping my fingers crossed that stays the case.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, superstar19 said:

Any of you Pioneer owners successfully ripping while connected through a router?  If so, what make/model?  I’m wondering if my issues are related to the router and settings.  I have a Linksys EA7300 (Wireless-AC1750) router running my network.

Yes I am, Pioneer BDP-80fd connected to an Apple Airport Extreme router via 10 feet of Cat5e, no issues ripping several hundred SACDs.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 5 months later...
28 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Perhaps a silly question but........................are you sure you are using the correct files for the BDP-80FD?  There are several different ones/

Agreed, that seems to be a common culprit, the other being the USB thumb drive itself.

For some strange reason, certain thumb drives just don't work, while most others do.

Also double check the whole file extension thing, which I believe is a Windows phenomenon but can't really remember, however some members have had additional file extensions added to the thumb drive files, make sure that didn't happen.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 hours ago, David Fell said:

As of a moment ago; I have tried 3 USB thumb drives. One was 64GB and USB 3.0, the others were 16GB and 32GB, USB 2. So far no luck. All drives have been formatted FAT32 from the factory. I would try reformatting them, but FAT32 is grayed out in Apple's Disk Utility. All drives were from Sandisk, will try to scrounge something else up tomorrow.

In Apple's Disk Utility it is called MS-DOS, not FAT32. Do you see MS-DOS?

Edit: I now see in a subsequent post you've found this already.

In the BDP-80fd, I use an old 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer USB 2.0 thumb drive. It was formatted FAT32 (MS-DOS) on a Mac mini.

I have always used the BDP-80fd's rear panel USB input port, if you are using the front panel port, try switching to the rear panel port.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook