IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Would appreciate if you could elaborate step by step how to bind the BD player with a Mac in DHCP configuration. Do I need a router or can I connect the Mac directly to the BD player with an Ethernet cable. Sorry for my ignorance.

By MAC, the other poster meant the MAC address of the Oppo, not a Mac computer. In addition to an IP address, each device also has a unique address called a MAC address. Most, but not all, routers these days have an option to tie a MAC address to a specific IP address so that each time the device tries to get an IP address via DHCP, it will get that assigned IP address. The name for this feature varies from router to router. This effectively gives the device a static IP address, but allows you to manage the addresses in a single place on the router instead of on each device, which makes it easier to avoid giving to devices the same IP address. As far as step by step instructions go, they vary from router to router, so you would need to research that on your own, unless someone here happens to have the same router you have and the same firmware revision (or close enough that the user interface hasn't changed).

On another note, this finding of being able to use these players to rip SACD's is awesome. Since I have a couple of Oppo BDP-10x series players available, my SACD ripping enabled PS3 is headed for eBay as I no longer need it (I don't play games). Kudos to those who figured it out and thanks for sharing the info.

Sure. This thread concerns itself not only with Oppo but Pioneer and Cambridge Audio players that can rip SACD. I know that after three cycles of power on/off, the Cambridge Audio CXU changes the IP address it receives from the router. Therefore the expected IP address is not available in the ripper application, so this requires the player to be hooked up to a TV and the IP found, and the ripper app adjusted to read the new IP address. If you wish to proceed with this process and p$ss around by doing so, then by all means enjoy. Thus the recommendation of a fixed IP address for the player stands.

The DHCP provided IP address changing is a function of your router, not the player, so an Oppo player would also get a different IP address in this scenario.

If your router supports DHCP reservations by MAC address (the name of this feature varies depending on what brand of router you have), you can configure things so the player will always get the same IP address via DHCP, obviating the need to actually configure the player with a static IP address. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is, in some ways, preferable to assigning a static IP address in an individual device as it prevents IP address conflicts (2 devices having the same IP address), which can be a royal PITA to track down.

But regardless of how you go about it, I definitely agree that ensuring that the player always has the same IP address is preferred for something like this. Having to constantly edit a file each time the IP address changes is a nuisance.

Was it working before? This fw update just came out sat. I hope oppo hasn't sealed against ripping.

Several people have reported here and elsewhere that the ripping still works with the most recent firmware update. Oppo definitely wouldn't have been aware of this in time to block this functionality with this firmware update and unless they get pressured from external entities (Sony?), I doubt they'll take any action to block it.

It is possible to remove the click by automatically applying a DC offset. This requires the DSF to be converted to PCM, the fix applied and converted back to DSF as automated by AUI-Converter-RD.

Why would you convert DSD to PCM and then back to DSD? At that point, you've converted the file twice so it would make more sense (IMHO) to just leave it in PCM format rather than converting back to DSD.

Very interesting. So the wifi bottleneck is at the BDP's side.

Just to state the obvious, if the network connections are:

Oppo 105 -> wired ethernet -> Airport Extreme router -> wi-fi -> iMac

as stated in tmtomh's post, then the Oppo's WiFi implementation isn't being used and therefore is not the bottleneck.

The Oppo's WiFi dongle is N, but I'm not sure if it's limited to the 2.4Ghz band or not.

I am not sure to be honest. I bought the player in US and it received may updates in the US, but moved to Europe recently and this firmware update took place approx. 1 week ago. It showed up automatically and I installed it.

That would be the US version of the firmware then, since you bought the player in the US.

OK. I had bought one in Australia (BDP105AU) which would not accept the update once I arrived in Paris. Would detect my IP address and say it is incompatible.

Just to be clear, the firmware updates that work with the player are tied to the region where the player was purchased, not to where the player is physically located when you attempt a firmware upgrade. So a player purchased in the US will always check the US servers for firmware updates and will not allow you to install a firmware update from another region (EU or AU, for example) via any method - downloaded direct to player, USB, burned to disc. Similarly, a player purchased in the EU will always check the EU servers for updates and a player purchased in AU will always check the AU servers for updates. It's possible that the servers in some regions will outright reject update requests if the player is currently located outside of the region based on the IP address, which may explain what you ran into.

The US always gets the updates first because that's where Oppo Digital is based and primary testing of firmware updates happens in the US. Once the firmware is deemed ready, the other regions have to make minor tweaks (primarily change the mix of apps and set the DVD/Bluray region) and then do their own testing before releasing. How long that process takes varies by region as some seem to be more motivated than others, presumably based on how many Oppo players they sell. I know that AU users never received the most recent beta version and are (AFAIK) still waiting for the official version of it, which the US has had for a few weeks now.

.. do you use your Oppo/Pioneer player to listen to the music?

Doesn't it convert the DSD data to PCM before playing it?

The current Oppo players can send DSD over HDMI to be handled externally and can also convert DSD direct to analog on the analog outputs. The downside of DSD direct to analog is that it bypasses any speaker configuration you've setup in the player, so you're speakers will be treated as full range (large) and any distance settings you've made won't be applied.

So I have been reading this thread with much interest...but had a few questions and was hoping someone could maybe help point me in the right direction!

I do not have a television. I do not have access to a modem (our fios modem is located outside of the house with no wires running indoors - all internet is done over wifi). I am on a Mac.

Is is possible for me to use this method? For example, if I purchase an Oppo, can I just connect an ethernet cable from my mac to the oppo for SACD extraction? Or do I have to connect the Oppo to the internet (assuming the Oppo has wifi), then network into the Oppo from my Mac (meaning I am stuck doing extraction over wifi)?

Also will I need a TV to select specific menu options on the Oppo in order to get this to work?

You'll need a TV or HDMI display of some sort (perhaps a computer monitor that supports a standard HDTV resolution?) to get the Oppo connected to your WiFi network unless you have a wireless access point available that you can connect the Oppo into via a wired connection. Other than that, you should be able to do everything else without a need for a TV.

I did have a monitor when I initially set mine up, the Pioneer Elite, but looking back, I think it would have worked without it. My player was set to lan and not wireless by defult. I also turned off autoplay but that was only for convenience.My player is now nowhere near a monitor and is directly connected to lan and rips fine. Oppo may default to wireless...

The Oppo defaults to a wired connection, but the other poster wanted to connect it to his wireless network - for that a connected display of some sort is needed to get the player onto the network.

SpotOn, specifically mentions connecting an ethernet cable. What does that have to do with wireless? Are you talking about another poster? Will a Mac recognise the player like windows does automatically is my question. I don't own a Mac but it seems like it should.

That's what I get for responding while I'm also trying to get work done... :) I must have read about him only having wireless for his Internet connection and ignored the part about connecting the Oppo and his Mac together with an Ethernet cable... Personally, I think it's worth the effort to get the Oppo connected to his home network one way or another so he doesn't have to potentially jump through hoops with cables every time he wants to rip a SACD.

If the player does need to be hooked up to a monitor only the first time to make settings, I think that might be OK. I can just bring the player to a friends house for an afternoon or something.

If you're going to connect the Oppo to your home WiFi, the Oppo will need to be at your house while you're doing that so you can select the appropriate network, enter the WiFi password, and so on. If you don't have some sort of HDMI display that can handle standard HDTV resolutions (even something that can do 480P would work), it wouldn't cost much to get something that can and might even come in handy at times.

On a side note, if I am only going to be using the unit for SACD ripping, is there any reason to go with Oppo vs say a less expensive Pioneer or something?

If you aren't going to use the player for anything other than SACD ripping, I would think it would make sense to go with the least expensive option that works. Of course, the build quality of the Oppo is worth considering for longevity.

One of the requirements to rip sacd is to switch the autoplay to off. Further to set the player to sacd. A TV/ monitor is necessary to make these adjustments for a new player out of the box.

Once the player is connected to the home network (which will require a display if connecting to WiFi...), the player's settings can be managed with Oppo's MediaControl app on an iOS or Android device.

His post specifically mentions an ethernet cable directly to his pc, he isn't using wifi.

I could have sworn we covered that already. ;)

I was just pointing out that IF he decides to use WiFi, the player will need to be at his house to make those settings. Other settings can obviously be handled with the player located anywhere. If he does get the player connected to his home network, it would be easier to adjust other settings later as Oppo's Media Control app could then be used to change settings, assuming an iOS or Android device is available. It really would be a shame to spend the extra money on the Oppo and use it for NOTHING other than SACD ripping.

But who doesn't have some sort of HDMI capable display that can be used for these sorts of things these days? ;) For that matter, if he has a display of some sort with a composite video input, the port labelled "DIAG" on the back of the Oppo can be connected to it for access to the setup menus (not much else though).

I have a Macbook Pro with a thunderbolt imput as well as an HDMI to Thuderbolt converter, so I guess first step would be to look into if it is possible to display the Oppo on my laptop.

That converter is most likely for connecting the Macbook Pro to an external monitor, not displaying the output from a source device (such as the Oppo) on your laptop display.

It also looks like I can get a small 7" HDMI display for about 50 USD, so that is another option

Yes, that's definitely an option.

I would hate to wait only to discover in 6 months that this work around using a new Oppo has been patched....

IMHO, Oppo isn't likely to patch this on the BDP-10x line unless they get pressured to do so by an external source.

Oh that is good to know! Maybe the best bet for me is just to wait another half year and see what happens with Mr Wicked. If no news, then try the Oppo option!

How often does Oppo tend to refresh their products though? It seems this workaround is for a specific Mediatek chipset and I assume Oppo will eventually updated their BDP-10x line, presumably with an updated chipset...

They have announced that a UHD Bluray player will be out around the end of this year / early next year. I'm not sure if that means they'll be discontinuing the BDP-10x line or not.

I think there are pretty good odds that Oppo and/or Pioneer will release a UHD Blu-ray player in the coming 6 months.

What do you think about the odds that one of those (or some other UHD BD player) will be able to rip SACD's? Are the chips used in mentioned players still current?

No, the chips in the existing players (well, I can say for sure regarding Oppo, but it should be safe to assume this for other companies too) can't handle UHD content. The Oppo is expected to still use a MediaTek SOC, but it will be their latest.

The only question I have at this time relates to the "Firmware Notification" setting on the Oppo BDP-103. I want to keep any new firmware from applying as a precautionary measure until I burn my existing SACD collection. The descriptions in the user manual are a little confusing to me. It seems like I should choose "Off" so it never checks for firmware upgrades but I thought I read in this thread you wanted it to notify you of updates so you could ignore them which implies I should choose "On". Can someone straighten me out on this (tell me whether I should use "On" or "Off")? My apologies because I'm sure that it is explained in one of the zillion posts in this thread.

If you leave the setting on, the Oppo will pop up a message when a firmware upgrade is available and give you the option of taking it or skipping it. I don't recall what the default option is in the popup, but it will not automatically install any update - you have to tell it that it's ok to install. If you leave the setting off, it won't alert you of updates nor will it automatically install them. If you really don't want the player to ever update, turn the alert off so you can't accept the update by mistake.

This thread concerns itself with three companies that produce blu-ray players of the "right stuff" to rip SACD.

The Oppo DB 10x does have a remote control app, that looks like a screen/TV is not required to setup the player. It looks as though the app is unfinished as the three posters reported problems with the app.

So is this what you mean by a mobile app, the one for the OPPO? When putting forward an idea, it's worth it not to be too general and vague people get the wrong idea. Do you work in IT?

I'm sure the other poster meant the Oppo app, which works fine for most people. The setup portion of the app doesn't have any issues that I'm aware of. The catch is that the player has to be on the LAN in order for the app to connect to it, so unless you're using a wired connection with the default settings, a display will be needed to get the player onto the network (ie: if using wireless).

I gave this a try using my OPPO 105D

My results:

Formatted flash drive – completely clear

Copied 2 folders to it:

AutoScript (Folder containing 2 files)

Autoscript

Autoscript.TSS

Sacd_extract (Folder containing 2 files)

Sacd

Sacd extract

I modified the sacd file with current player IP: 192.168.1.11 -P –I as reported on the OPPO set up screen.

I powered up the player then inserted drive into the front USB: no action

Tried moving the 2 Autoscript files into the root on the flash drive (left 2 files in the Sacd-extract folder).

Same result.

Is the flash drive configured correctly?

Player is an OPPO 105D on a network connected to a Windows 10 file server

Firmware HAS BEEN UPGRADED To the latest version: BDP10x-83-0715.

If it’s essential to back that off to the original firmware I could contact OPPO for a disk. Takes 1-2 weeks

Please advise.

Once I do back it off and try again the instructions say I’ll see letters flowing across the display on the front of the player. As I understand the instructions I’m to connect to player over the network to key in responses. If I open a browser from a pc on the network and key in the IP address of the player I get an error that the device will not accept log in. Can you offer any direction?

The latest firmware version definitely isn't the problem as several of us have had no problems using it for this purpose. What file system did you format the flash drive with? FWIW, my flash drive is formatted with the exFAT file system and is a 64GB drive. The AutoScript files should be copied to a folder named "AutoScript" on the drive - in my case, there are 3 files in that folder:

AutoScript (1 KB, no extension)

AutoScript.TSS (1 KB)

sacd_extract (345 KB, no extension)

I suspect that missing the sacd_extract file in the AutoScript folder is the problem in your case.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it. Don't really know anyone who would know what to do with this. It's not the end of the world. Perhaps I don't have the zip files in the root of the USB. When I plug the USB drive into my PC and view the contents the folder located there is the SACD folder and the Autoscript and sacd_extract files are in a sub-folder.

The Autoscript folder should be the top level folder on the USB drive and should have 3 files in it. Like this (click the image to see the full size):

USB Autoscript.jpg

thanks greynolds. A picture paints a thousand words.

Good sound: copy the three files inside autoscript to the usb drive, instead of copying the autoscript folder itself. That way, the files are at the root of the usb.

Um, no. The autoscript folder should be copied to the root on the USB drive and should contain the 3 files rather than putting the 3 files in the root. The left side of the picture I included shows the drive letter and folder while the right side shows the files that are in the folder. Good sound's previous reply at least implied that there's another folder involved so that the path to the tss file (and the other 2 files) would end up being \SACD\AutoScript\AutoScript.tss instead of \AutoScript\AutoScript.tss.

• 2 weeks later...
You should be able to download the AU update from Oppo's support website, then copy to and install from a USB stick.

That's correct, as Oppo firmware updates need to come from the region the player was originally purchased in. There are minor differences in the firmware, primarily the DVD / Bluray region locks and the mix of apps (Netflix, etc.) that gets included.

I've ripped an SACD to an ISO and created separate DSF files for each track. All metadata is there, and I've embedded the cover art in each file using MP3Tag. However, when I play the files in Foobar2000 on my PC, or on my Oppo 103 via usb stick, the files play fine, and show metadata, but do not show the cover art. I've also tried placing the cover art .jpg file in the same folder as the DSF files, but no luck. Any way to fix this? Thanks.

Mike

I've confirmed that cover art isn't displaying for dsf or dff files via SMB (which should work the same as USB storage) and inquired about this via beta tester channels and will let you know if I get any info back. But it's probably best to move this to a different thread as it's kind of off topic for this thread.