IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Note: I told the PS3 thread I would announce what I've found, so I am writing this first post, long before I am ready to (i.e I don't have the links ready yet, nor the instructions). I expect my second post to be ready in a few more days.

Thanks to some very ingenious folks on other forums around the world, Mr Wicked's sacd_extract.exe has been found to be effective in ripping SACDS in those players that:

1) have Mediatek chips MT8580 (like Oppo 103/105, Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu, Pioneer bdp-lx58/88 ) or MT8560 (like Pioneer BDP-160/170 and 180)

2) have an ethernet connection

3) have normal factory firmwares (meaning no mods)

Caveat: as with the PS3, this ripping process is ONLY intended for those who already own the SACD discs, for archiving or personal file-based playback purposes. Please do not pirate!!

This is great news, but I have one initial query.

I have the following three players:

• Pioneer DV-610 DVD/SA-CD universal player from 2009
  • Sony BDP-S770
  • Sony BDP=S790

The Pioneer has the Mediatek 1389EXE processor and has a multi-region firmware modification:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/pioneer-dv-610-v-dv-420.1072186/

Curious if any of these players would work for this. BTW, what's with the LAN connectivity requirement?

Is the list complete or could we find additional brands/models?

That was my motivation for my post #10 on page 1.

I'm a bit disappointed that the newest Ultra-HD Blu-Ray players don't read SACDs. Hopefully one of those above can be found at an affordable price.

Indeed. All three listed players have SA-CD functionality and both Sony players are 100-base-T ethernet aware.

Yes, it is VERY possible that new firmware could block this method. Please read the firmware notes and proceed with caution (for many of these machines new firmware notes may list only special disc titles, for example, that are being resolved, but behind the scenes they are doing more). Of course in the PS3 SACD ripping world there is no wiggle room to update firmware...you'd be dead in the water if you did.

In the real world, release notes only list major changes. It's quite plausible that less significant changes won't be listed at all.

Perhaps if you ask Pioneer nicely, they will make original released firmwares available.

Is there is a setting to always default to SACD when loading a hybrid disc?

This is the setting used for that with my Sony BDP-S790:

S790_Settings.jpg

There might be a similar setting on your machine.

By "continuous" do you mean one large album file or do you mean tracks that are gapless?

I'm getting ready to order my Pioneer BDP-170 quite soon.

Will there be a problem with gapless multi-channel titles, such as Pink Floyd's DSOTM or WYWH with it?

Foobar2000 was the first software player (although it is even more than a mere player) to properly/losslessly play DSD and SACD .iso. It is continuously under development and is free, so why does it seem to not get mentioned as much as it should here?

BTW I have no affiliation with Foobar2000, nor any friendship with its' development team. I just appreciate how good it is at playing any file, of any format except video, I give it. It is a good audio tool box too, not just a player, but to make the best of it you need to install all the plugins you need.

Although it is Windows only and that maybe why Ted, being a Mac man tends to ignore it.

Commercial break over. :)

WRT p1, I've always wondered that as well. It almost seems a conspiracy of silence is at work here, but I think not.

In my system, there are two settings to enable gapless playback. First is in Foobat2000 Preferences menu and secondly, a box to tick in BubbleUPnP Server setup. Works quite well.

I finally got a Pioneer BDP-170-K and it worked without a problem. The new player was ordered from amazon.com and was shipped from Japan by A-Japan. The player and box were both wrapped in bubble pack and arrived undamaged in 4 days to Canada. The player needs 100V input so I now have a VCT VT-200J step down/up transformer that converts 125V to 107V. ...

Thank you to the developers of this process and to ted_b for the thread and support on CA.

Pity, that.

I've always thought these players had universal supplies rated from 100 VAC - 240 VAC 50/60 hz input. I would return it and get one with a universal supply.

I see your points. With the size of my library well into the thousands of discs, I did not want to introduce a third processing step - DSF to DST conversion - into my ripping and extraction process. Plus, hard disc space on a NAS is cheap enough that I saw no need for compression. So, DSF is what I store for library playback.

Yes, I save my ISOs with backup. But, I think it is even more important to have rigorous backup for the tagged files, the DSFs in my case. There is one hell of a lot of effort that goes into complete and proper tagging. I would hate to ever lose that and have to revert to the not fully tagged ISOs.

Indeed.

Try ripping the RBCD layer and see how your tags look afterward.

Indeed.

Try ripping the RBCD layer and see how your tags look afterward.

Not sure I see your point.

Because RBCD lack metadata. See page 206, post 5142 forward, here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index206.html#post529783

If you should find yourself in the situation you describe in this thread, get the metadata from an external source.

I just typed 'net analyser' into Play Store. The first result had a price of $4 the second one was free. So I tapped install. 30 sec later it was installed. 10 seconds later I can see everything connected to the LAN, my laptop, the router, 2 iphones, a ps4 and the printer. I am only young (54) so maybe I have a technology advantage compared to some others, but really, this was quicker than picking up the remote control. TFE.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I chose the paid version (Network Analyser Pro), mainly because I find them to be more stable and have better functionality than free versions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.techet.netanalyzer.an

Bloody brill.

So now we have confirmed:

Working with original script:

Oppo BDP-103

Oppo BDP-105

Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD

Arcam CDS27

Working with Pioneer 160 script:

Pioneer BDP-160

Pioneer BDP-170

Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD

Now there's two British alternatives which is good, but the newest one is lacking an HDMI port, AFAICT. This is 2016, not 1996.

What's the point of that?

To output multichannel audio from SACD to a surround receiver.

There have been a few audio-only SACD/CD players which had analogue output for stereo only and digital output (HDMI) for multichannel audio from SACD. For example the Sony SCD-XA5400ES.

Today, the SACD player market is rather divided into stereo-only SACD/CD players (no digital output from SACD) and Blu-ray/SACD players with multichannel capabilities.

Indeed. An HDMI port is my prime prerequisite for a new player, because of my focus on multi-channel audio.

My priority currently is finding a new BDP to replace my c. 2012 Sony BDP-790. To date, I've been following this new Sony model:

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-uhp-h1-blu-ray-player-review.12792 ... and

Sony UHPH1 Premium Audio and Video Player (2016) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

It's currently in review by by Stereophile, and I'm waiting for the review publication, probably in September before I make a decision. The AVForum review focuses on video performance, whilst the Stereophile will focus on audio performance.

BTW, there are threads here, that focus on both the Arcam and Cambridge Audio player:

Cambridge Audio's Azur 752BD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I guess Iain is under the impression HDMI is a comparatively newer' date=' thus more advance port. [/b']However, as far as I know, for pure audio equipments, HDMI is a rare option except for I2S, but this is for purely digital audio and is a completely different implementation than the normal HDMI video+audio input/output for universal players.

By the way, I heard from other forums that Arcam's UDP411 (universal player with HDMI) also works using same Autoscript as CDS 27. I don't have a UDP411 and I can't confirm, but this is very likely bacause they are both from Arcam.

LMAO! Your first sentence is oddly worded.

It's not just me that's "under the impression" that HDMI is superior format to analogue. Most of the rest of the world do as well, as it's not affected by the idiosyncratic anomalies that plague analogue signal transmission.

You should research your facts before you post. Here's a good place to start:

HDMI

Here's the site for the Arcam UDP411.

UDP411 - BD Player - Arcam

BTW, please post a link to your Arcam chipset information. Thanks.

Ted,

Not I, but others, were complaining about other players not being able to read the tags Foobar can create to solve certain issues. See comment 740.

I'm not saying other players can't play SACD iso! :) Just trying to accentuate the positive, where Foobar solves these particular problems then please be grateful for it solving the problem and ask the other players to do likewise, rather than searching for all kinds of work-arounds / kludges.

It's a rather minor issue, 'cos if you have Foobar already to create these tags (for iso with no info in the TOC as discussed previously), then surely you can keep Foobar into the future to continue to read the tags it's created. Some people want the tags to be player independent, as an ideal; this is understandable but a relatively minor issue, and my thinking is: better to get the other players on board with reading such tags solving the problem in a similar way to Foobar, rather than any other clumsy work around, like creating & editing cue sheets.

Foobar2000 v1.3.11 was released on 20/08 and beta for 1.3.12 was released 3 days later on 23/08. Here;s the release notes:

foobar2000: Change Log

... as one of them might resolve the problem you're reporting. 1.3.11 resolved a major problem I've been having for the past year.

My questions are:

1) Will the ripped SACDs sound better on the Ayre than the Oppo? I'm inclined to say yes, but I don't know. I have a couple of DSD recordings that I can currently play from PureMusic to the Ayre, and they sound great.

2) Are there recordings only available on SACD that aren't available on hi-res download?

3) Should I sell the 95 and get a 105? It's not the end of the world to have a back-up universal player. I've heard the 105 sounds thinner in the midrange than the 95, but the bass sounds tighter. I'm sure my Ayre stomps all over both of them, but I've never played identical files to do a proper A/B.

4) Should I keep the 95, get the Pioneer 80, rip the SACDs, sell the Pioneer 80. See how things sound after some extended A/B, then sell the 95 if I decide I no longer need a universal player?

Thanks!

1) This is a digital format, so it's all down to disk recording quality, mastering and the quality of your processor.

2) Currently, I'm only aware of ARS Production for SA-CD only and probably others, as well. However, Presto Classics do have RBCD format downloads for that company.

3 and 4) Keep a watch for the new Sony UHP-H1 universal player. Stereophile will be publishing their review of it very soon for the audio section of it. Here's AVForums review of it from earlier this year:

https://www.avforums.com/product/sony-uhp-h1.9967

It will soon be replacing my Sony BDP-S790, because it has support for multichannel DSD via USB and hopefully ethernet LAN, as well. I will decide on it after the Stereophile review is published.

• 11 months later...
On 7/20/2016 at 12:32 PM, ted_b said:

Edit: February 2018

A brand new ripping player has been found, the Sony BDP-S590.  Thanks to several members, including Phthalocyanine and Dick Darlington, who's summary instructions post is linked here:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/?page=111&tab=comments#comment-788251

WRT the Sony BDP-S590, will the BDP-S790 work in lieu of the BDP-S590?

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

if you already own a S790 and like fooling around with this kind of thing (telnet connections,  command line Linux, etc.) you could give it a new try.

I have a BDP-S790, but I know nothing of command-line Linux. OTOH, I'm very familiar with Unix (Sun Solaris and HP-UX) scripting. How much different are Linux shell scripts from Unix shell scripts?

On 2/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, hyendaudio said:

Hi

Hoping someone can help. I have everything setup as instructed on a Windoze 10 machine, and my player has a hard wired ethernet connection with a static IP and the player, a Pioneer BDP-160 is pingable. I have also updated sacd.cmd with the correct IP address (though I suspect that's only to run the sacd_extract command on my localhost). However, the player is not discoverable on my Windoze network and neither ISO2DSD nor SACD_extract are able to connect, both display the error: Failed to connect  libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Can someone offer some advice regarding making the player discoverable on the network? I suspect that is what is causing my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have you tried a static IP address, v dynamic IP, yet? Once you programme your router to asign the static IP, it will never change.

7 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I'll PM you my guide, which is for a Sony, and for a different method than what you're attempting, but the telnet information is the same for the Pioneer and the Sony.

I would like to see that telnet guide, as well.

One possibility would be reverting back to original fimware on the BDP-S790 to resolve the ARMv7 incompatibilities. Would this be even possible, at this time?