IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I am a bit late to this party, but yesterday I tried ripping an SACD with the Sonore software using both an Oppo BDP-103D and and Oppo BDP-105 without success.  At first the drawer wouldn't open, but I used a different USB stick which solved that problem.  However, it seems my Windows 10 PC is just not communicating with the player as I am getting the exact same message RoDe highlighted above regarding Failed to Connect.  Can't Open 192.XXX.XX.XXX.  I am have set both my players to a fixed IP address and verified their address both with my router software GUI and the Oppo media player GUI.  The one thing I am not certain of is if a port number is necessary?  I have just been using the default "0" port setting as the above router and Oppo media player softwares do not indicate any port #.  I tried for about three hours and always got the same Failure to Connect, etc. message.  I would really appreciate any help with this.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Miller said:

Redbeemer, I had the same problem as you. I however had port 2002 engaged and it still would not rip. I am using a 32G thumb drive. Someone said it has to be a 2 or 4G thumb drive to work. I am perplexed and need help please.

I used two 4Gb USB drives, but the first one never caused the drawer to eject from the player.  It is a generic brand drive.  So I grabbed an old Sandisk USB drive and copied the files onto it and when I inserted it into the player, the drawer opened.  Does the drawer open when you insert your USB stick?  Also, how is the drive formatted?  I think it may need to be Fat32 for the Oppo to read it.

30 minutes ago, Jeff Miller said:

The drawer opens and nothing happens when I close it. Everything was done correctly like you did. I’m using 32g usb drive.

Nothing should happen when the drawer closes, except the player should recognize that it is an SACD.  Once that happens, then you start the Sonore software and once it has fully opened and you have set your IP address and stereo/multi-channel preference, you click on the button to begin the rip.  After about ten seconds, you should begin to see information from the disk on the window in the lower portion of the Sonore software and then it will start showing that it is ripping the first track and the % of completion of both the track rip and the total SACD rip.  It will tell you when it is finished with the entire process and you quite the Sonore software and take out the SACD and insert another if you want to rip another.  You then start the Sonore software again.

17 hours ago, Jeff Miller said:

I’m using an oppo 105 and yes I get the pinging and then the error. No ripping 

Although all of my rips yesterday were using an Oppo BDP-103D, I also own a BDP-105; so thinking that perhaps something might be different with the 105 compared to ripping with the 103D, I just now used the same USB stick with the same files inserted into my 105 and using the same port (2002) entered into the Sonore software (along with its IP address), I am now ripping Dark Side of the Moon SACD using my Oppo BDP-105.  So we know that the exact same procedure, including the port number work on both Oppo players.  If you have not already done so, I suggest you get a clean 4 Gb USB stick and try that, making sure you have the correct files in it. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 007james said:

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here. I own a Sony BDP-S590. I tried the Sonore ISO2DSP GUI that connects and provides .ISO files which will not write to dvd , error, states corrupt image file, i tried iso2dsd to create dsf or diff files, neither of these files play. So i to switched over to the telnet version of ripping and i receive the connection refused error. I was wondering if anyone here has successfully ripped sacd's using the sony bdp-s590 and if so, provide me the correct method to accomplish this, even better, provide detailed instructions. There seems to be various methods listed here, not sure which are best for the 590. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

I don't own any of the Sony players, but one thing you stated has me puzzled.  You said that you can get the program from Sonore to produce dsf and dff files but they don't play.  Have examined the files as to their properties to be sure you got what you think you got?  If so, how are you trying to play these files?  Are you using a software program on your computer such as JRiver Media player or using a compatible streamer or music server such as an Auralic or Aurender?  What I am getting at, is that if they are in fact genuine DSD files, they should play on a compatible player or software.  I am not sure how the Sonore software would produce files that were corrupt.  It would seem that if it can connect to your Sony player and output files labelled as either dsf or dff, then you should be able to play them on compatible software or a compatible player.  When I first tried this with my Oppo, the Sonore gave me a message that it couldn't connect and read the files on the disc; that was because I hadn't entered the correct port number (2002).  As I stated above, it seems that once the software can connect to your player and read the files and output something, you should be good to go.  I have no knowledge of the use of the iso image files as to burning them on a DVD as I only am interested in getting the playable files off the SACD.  Good luck!

13 hours ago, decibals said:

I have another newbie question...

As I convert my discs over and move all the files to an external HDD am I able to plug this HDD back into the Oppo and playback all the files so I don't have to change discs?

Yes, that should work just fine.  Of course, you will need some sort of screen so you can see the files and select the one you want.  You can either connect the Oppo to a TV or monitor or you can use the Oppo Media Player app on your phone or tablet.

23 minutes ago, decibals said:

so this morning I am converting more discs and Sonore app is not recognizing Album Names and calling every album unknown?

Anyone see this before?

That is very strange!  I ripped my entire SACD collection and the Sonore app was able to read the album name of every single one of them and some are quite old.  Are you sure that it was actually connecting with your player?  That is the only thing I can think of.  Perhaps your player's IP address has changed (unless you have a fixed address for it), so the Sonore is just going to where the player used to be.  Have you tried to play one these new rips which doesn't have the album name, etc.?  If they don't play,  then that might indicate what I was suggesting above.  If they play fine, I have no idea what is going on.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:06 PM, decibals said:

Perfect, thank you very much! So happy to be able to back up all my SACD's and consolidate into one library!!

After this project it will be working on doing the same thing with my BD and DVD-A discs, hoping there is a solution as good as this one!

For Blu-ray discs, I have used DVDFab, available online, to rip them to m2ts format, although it can also rip to other formats as well.  They also have programs for DVD's which will allow you to rip DVD-A discs, but you have to buy separate programs for the Blu-rays and DVD's, so be sure to purchase the program that meets your specific need.  With DVDFab, there is no need for a separate decrypter program, as it does that at the same time it is ripping, so you get the file ready to play in one step.

37 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I think Gracenote is history. I remember something about it being decommissioned, but the details escape me. 

I am not sure that is correct as my Sony HAP-Z1ES digital audio player/server still uses Gracenote as far as I can tell, although sometimes it makes some rather comical errors.  I certainly have not seen any similar message on the screen of that device.

11 hours ago, Paul R said:

Thanks for that link!  So it appears that they have discontinued the Gracenote service for many of their Blu-ray players; however, my HAP-Z1ES is not listed so apparently it is still getting this service.  I also checked the Gracenote service website just to be sure they had not gone out of business and it appeared to be "business as usual", so this action is strictly being taken unilaterally by Sony.  As an aside, I note that my Oppo players which came with the Gracenote service are still providing it as before.

• 3 weeks later...

I used an Oppo BDP-103D to rip all of my SACD's.  I have two suggestions:  first, try putting the files on a different USB stick.  My first stick would not work properly as it was a generic brand.  Next, is the IP address for your Oppo dynamic or fixed?  I went into my router and set a fixed IP address for both my 103D and my 105 (both worked for SACD ripping just fine).  If the IP address is dynamic, it can change anytime you turn off and then turn on the player, which would mean the address in the Sonore software is incorrect.

9 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I bet the SACDExtractGUI app gave you a different error message than ISO2DSD did on that problem disc?

As best I can tell, there is no SACD release for that title. So the problem is that it's not an SACD, Redbook CD only, which can't be ripped using this method and a Blu-ray player. 

Yeah, I was wondering about that as I recently purchased the Redbook CD version of this and, if there is an SACD version, I wasn't aware of it, otherwise I would have bought that instead of the CD.

• 2 months later...

Check out DVDFab 10, available online to rip or copy Blu-rays.  It allows you to rip them to a variety of formats, depending upon your preference and which format your player/device can read.  There is a separate program for ripping DVD's, if you need that.  Also, be aware that there are two separate programs for ripping versus copying the entire Blu-ray.  The ripper copies only the movie, not the extras.  With the copy program, you can either copy the entire disc or just rip the main movie.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Waynefi said:

Is there any current concerns about Sony sending out new firmware, that would prevent using these various units to backup my SACD's ? Are there any settings to prevent this ?

Thanks,

Wayne

If I recall correctly, Kal Rubinson of Stereophile, spoke to Sony representatives when he first became aware that certain Oppo, Sony, and Pioneer players could rip SACD's.  They indicated to him they had no problem with users ripping their own SACD's for backup and to play on other devices such as streamers and digital music players (such as their own HAPZ-1ES).  I believe Kal posted the above somewhere earlier in this thread.

• 1 month later...

Whichever program you use, I suggest you convert your DSD files to 176.4 flac rather than 192 flac as DSD is based on the 44.1 clock and single rate DSD is an even multiple of 44.1, so when downconverting to 176.4, it is an even multiple of 44.1 and 2.8 MHz DSD.  It is normally preferable when downconverting, to do so as an even integer or fraction thereof.

Although it is a bit unusual for a DAC to handle 24/192, but not 176.4, I actually own a DAC that does exactly that, much to my chagrin.  I didn't realize this until after I purchased it and downloaded an album in 176.4 and it wouldn't play.  I hope that is just an oversight on the marketing dept. and not the actual limitation of the DAC.  I would still recommend you rip to 176.4, even if your DAC won't handle it since you can set JRiver to change resolutions for each individual resolution.  So you could leave every resolution to play at its native sampling rate, but set 176.4 to play at 192 or perhaps 88.2 since this is an even multiple of the basic frequency of single rate DSD.

I think that the NAD devices will only handle PCM audio, so you would need to change the settings in the Oppo to send out PCM.  The "problem" with that is that, if I recall correctly, the Oppo will downsample the DSD to 88.2 PCM, so you wouldn't be getting the full benefit of the DSD resolution.  I have a number of older Denon receivers and a Marantz pre-pro which will handle bitstream DSD files via HDMI input from the Oppo.  You could probably pick up one of these used receivers at a reasonable price.  As for your size concerns, most of the Denon/Marantz boxes are fairly large, so you might need to look at one of the "Slim Line" Marantz receivers which are available new for as low as $399 for the 5 channel version or $499 for the 7 channel version (they are essentially the same except for the additional channels).

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Disappointing news, but I have no doubt that you know more than I do about it's capabilities; the whole point of my interest in it was to see what it's capabilities were; now I'm sorry I asked. I'm going skulk off now with my tail between my legs and hope that everybody forgets about this in a year or two, and then I'll be back...

My understanding is that even in professional recording studios, engineers who record in DSD usually have to convert the DSD files to PCM (DXD) when editing/mixing, etc.  Those who have the Sony (?) Sonoma Workstation may be able to skip this conversion, but I suspect that device is expensive and many studios don't have one.  That is why I have seen some reviewers who will not recommend a digital download in the DSD format, especially if the original master is PCM or visa versa.  I have also seen reviewers who will like a particular album, but not recommend the vinyl if the original is mastered digitally.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, PLB02 said:

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and thread and apologise in advance if this question has been posted/answered. 

Investigating converting SACD for playback via a NAS sees me looking at buying a secondhand Oppo 103 which has its original firmware BDP10X-38-1220.  

Does the firmware version come into play at all when performing the conversion?

Am I better off sticking with the original release or upgrading it. Do newer versions of the firmware “break” the ability to convert SACD?

Thanks. 

No, I have an Oppo BDP-103D with the latest firmware and I used it to rip all of my SACD's to DSD without any problem.

• 1 month later...

I have used both my Oppo 103D and my Oppo 105 to rip all of my SACD's to DSD via the iso2dsd method.  The only problems I had at first were not entering the port number (because I didn't know it - 2002) and then I had an old, defective USB stick which wouldn't work.  Once I got the port entered correctly and a good Sandisk USB stick, it was easy as pie.  My Oppos are not connected via Ethernet; both work just fine ripping over my WiFi network; just make sure you have the correct IP address for your Oppo entered into the iso2dsd interface.  Good luck!

24 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

also: insert the USB stick when your Oppo is off, *then* turn it on

I did not have to do this with my Oppo.  I turned it on and waited for it to finish booting up and the display to remain constant and then inserted the USB stick and the tray immediately opened.  I ripped my entire collection this way via WiFi; each disk took about 20 minutes to rip, but remember, these are very large files, so not like ripping a CD.