IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I will repeat: this ripping capability is available for those BD/universal/SACD players that have the MT8580 or MT8560 chipsets ONLY!

Telnet is the only communication vehicle I am aware of that allows one to run this. That requires a LAN connection (I assume wireless is ok but don't know these players' capability).

OK, here is the link to my dropbox folder called SACD. Inside it are the two folders:

* Autoscript for empty root drive of USB stick, and

* SACD Extract for the two files that go on the pc folder, a command file that needs editing (notepad, etc) once you know your players IP address, and the sacd_extract.exe file.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8cunli3d3basmix/AAAY2mPDW9QH_so52EwCCBhya?dl=0

Summary: you should copy Autoscript folder with 2 files inside to a clean USB stick, power on the player, wait until it boots and connect the prepared USB stick. When scrolling text ABCDEFGHIJK will appear on the display – you can connect to the player over telnet. Use ‘root’ login and press enter. Type ‘uname -a’ and press enter. If you see ‘Linux mtk85xx 2.6.35‘ then it’s your lucky day and the sacd_extract daemon should work at your player. Type sacd.cmd (remember to edit with proper IP address) and ripping should begin.

Putty details: start putty, check Telnet as connection type, in Host name type IP of your blu-ray player and press Open button.and it will look like this

6Usa48Y.png

If telnet server is started on player side – you will see a login window (this is an 8560 example but Chinese programmer typo'd 8530).

O7kAYSh.png

Type ‘root’ and press Enter

9KhdZ6c.png

If you get 2.6.35 then you are in.

I will have more info later.

Note: I do not have any of these players so I can't personally test. I will ask Grill to get on, as he has successfully done an Oppo (I think, maybe it's a Pio).

PLEASE report back, especially a successful rip. I will act as go-between for the silent folks behind the scene who actually discovered and created this stuff.

BTW. this method of extraction is out now more than half year. See yourself - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273ebah/SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?dl=0

Person behind this is from Ukraine, Kiev, i belive.

Sorry, but I never said I invented it. I said I would make it available to CA users.

I've invited another experienced Mediatek ripping user to join us and help out. He also showed me how we can run sacd_extract manually from the telnet console, and watch the ripping process. For example, you can add some memory/buffer to the Pioneers like the 160, which are woefully low for good ISO extraction. I will summarize in another post (unless he does).

Is the list complete or could we find additional brands/models?

I'm a bit disappointed that the newest Ultra-HD Blu-Ray players don't read SACDs. Hopefully one of those above can be found at an affordable price.

No idea if the list is complete, and that is why I asked on my post for others to chime in if they found another one. However, given the degree to which the early adopters have tested this, I gotta assume they are not many others with these chipsets.

Are there 2 different AutoScript file for Oppo & Pioneer? grill has stated the md5 hash for the file AutoScript, then Maldur has mentioned about another .zip file, which actually has ' the text 160' in the file name. I downloaded both zip, and run md5 on the 2 different AutoScript files, and the md5 hash are different.

I do not have an Oppo or the Pioneer yet, so cannot check myself, am waiting for the outcome to decide which one to buy ... well, the Pioneer BDP-160 is cheaper ...

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, there are customizations out there. So here goes: There are at least three different Autoscripts:

* the one I originally linked (and seems to be working fine for some CA Oppo users, for example) is the one for automatic sacd_extract execution. It's contents looks like this:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract /)

CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract -S &)

CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

* below is a similar Autoscript with extra buffering for the BDP-160 (see my dropbox link below or Maldur's post and follow instructions)

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)

CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)

CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

* there is another for the manual telnet sacd_extraction and requires command line execution, but allows one to watch via telnet, and add buffering manually. It's content looks like this:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec echo root::0:0:root,,,:/root:/bin/sh >/etc/passwd)

CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/telnetd &)

SLEEPMS(3000)

CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg)

CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start)

SLEEPMS(5000)

This is how it looks with BDP-160:

– extract to a root of clean USB stick AutoScript folder for the 160 from my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnpma48ceil80w5/AABdmZyVGf8PTo5mq3kRLIEOa?dl=0

and rename it to AutoScriptSACD

– extract to a root of the same USB stick the telnet AutoScript folder from my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eu48sjfmrgtxdan/AAB1Q8x6vRWMQAt1egXOevYQa?dl=0

– after this USB stick should contains 2 folder AutoScript and AutoScriptSACD

– Power On blu-ray/SACD player, wait until it boots up and insert prepared USB stick

– when scrolling text ABCDEFGHIJK will appear on the display – you can connect to the player over telnet (with Putty for example)

– when login window will appear – type ‘root’ and press Enter

type ‘cd /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD’ and press Enter

type ‘ls’ and press Enter to see if sacd_extract_160 present in folder

insert line ‘insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko’ and press Enter (this needed only with blu-ray players with small amount of RAM, like bdp-160)

– type ‘./sacd_extract_160 -S &’ and press enter

– if you have kernel 2.6.35 we will see something like this:

wGEMNcb.png

– now we can start ‘sacd.cmd’ in Windows and ripping process will begin

4jvolKG.png

Once you have the raw SACD.ISO, you can extract multi-channel (if available on the SACD of course), make DSF, cue files and so on with the ISO2DSD utility from Sonore which works quite well.

The ISO2DSD only takes a few minutes (on a Xeon PC) to extract stereo DSF from the ISO. Then use MP3tag to clean up the metadata for DSF. It's a bit of work, but now worth it to directly transfer DSD files to some of the newer portable players without having to convert to PCM or listen directly at home for those that have that luxury.

Right. Just as I recommended for PS3 ripping, do not do anything other than creating an ISO. You want an ISO for many reasons, not the least of which is that is the entire disc image for backup, etc. Then, using a non-spinning medium like a pc, do the extraction fr4om the ISO to stereo, multichannel DSF, etc. Don't ask the Oppo or Pioneer to spin longer than it needs. It has a short spinning life.

Yes, it is VERY possible that new firmware could block this method. Please read the firmware notes and proceed with caution (for many of these machines new firmware notes may list only special disc titles, for example, that are being resolved, but behind the scenes they are doing more). Of course in the PS3 SACD ripping world there is no wiggle room to update firmware...you'd be dead in the water if you did.

Cost: Amazon (US) has used BDP-160s and 170s shipped from Japan for $230 all in.

A used Oppo 103 is very likely a better overall player, SACD ripping notwithstanding.

This is all great feedback, and clearly requires me to amend the instructions at the top of this thread somewhat. I figured that, but assumed it might get more complex...not realizing that the most foreign of steps (telnet) is now an option worth skipping.

So...for the successful Oppo users: could you write a simple instruction on how you ripped an ISO without telnet (i.e what steps of mine do you now get to skip).

Same goes for a BDP-160 user (assume you use the sacd_extract_160 files?). Once we have all this categorized I will also add to my SACD guide PDF (it needs a lot of updating anyway). Thanks.

ted_b, you can safely remove (for now) BDP-180 from list of compatible player's.

I'll try to get one 180 for testing and see if this works out.

Unfortunately, this forum engine has an edit time-out, so my first post (and most others) are no longer editable. In hindsight I should have made this an article.

It's wonderful to see all these new SACD ripping successes. I thought I would remind folks of some SACD ripping tips:

* here's a major one: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/index99.html#post492092

Net/net, make sure, especially when ripping classical titles you own, that your target folder is not nested deep into Windows directories or the final path name (directory/folder/subfolder/filename) might get too long for Windows and crash/blow up. If possible, make your target working folder a root folder (i.e. directly under C or whatever) and rename your ISO if it extracts to a very long name.

* The two best ISO to DSF tools are Jesus's Sonore GUI tool (that many of you are already familiar with cuz you are using it in the actual ripping process) and Bogi's auto-context (i.e right click in Windows Explorer) ISO2DSF that uses Jussi's DFF2DSF conversion utility.

Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-do-you-store-dff-untagged-files-21780/index8.html#post368551

Question: sacd_extract command line tool and avoiding clicks

sacd_extract reportedly has a bug that can cause clicks or other discontinuities between tracks when converting from ISO directly to DSF.

The solution, according to much discussion over the last two years, is to:

(1) use sacd_extract to convert ISO to DFF; then

(2) use Miska's DFF2DSF tool to convert the DFF to DSF.

Step (1) remains unclear to me. Should I use the -p switch to split the ISO into multiple DFF files, or should I use the -e switch to convert the ISO to a single DFF "edit master" file? Does the first option overcome the bug in sacd_extract? The second option seems useless because Miska's DFF2DSF tool does not seem to split a single DFF file into multiple DSF files.

First off, always use sacd_extract v0.38, which fixes the bug that caused clicks extracting to DSF (final blocks were truncated). Second, if you are not sure you have sacd_extract v0.38 then simply use Bogi's tool I've already linked to previously (two days ago in post 169). One of its goals is to seamlessly create a workflow that gets around the earlier DSF bug by first extracting to DFF, then saving the metadata temporarily (since DFF can't store it), then uses Jussi's converter to go to DSF, then adds the tags back in. It's all automated, and will delete the working files once done.

All that being said, the Windows and Mac versions of Jesus's ISO2DSD GUI tool already use the v0.38 version of sacd_extract so no worries there.

Finally, if you are a masochist (joking) and simply interested in doing all this manually with the command line tool, then go get v0.38 and use the arguments you'll find in the help listing.

sacd extract help.jpg

Here is v0.38

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/sacd_extract.rar

That reads as if it may be resolved at some point.

Only in that the 180 was listed in the original post (which I can no longer edit) and was presumed to be a MTK8560 chipset. If the actual truth is that is is another chipset aside from 8560 or 8580 then, no it ain't coming back. Although there have been a couple addtl universal players discovered to be either an 8560 or 8580, there have been NO addtional chipsets found to work other than those two.

There are hundreds of SACDs in the public library in my home town . . .

As I stated in my first post (and in my SACD ripping guide) ripping and extracting SACDs is for those music discs that are your personal property, and is primarily intended for two purposes: 1) archiving ISOs (so SACD-R can be burnt if your orginal purchased disc is damaged) and 2) converting to file-playback for computer-based players capable of playing DSF or DFF. FYI. Off my soapbox. :)

That has not been my experience, when I turn on Output to 5.1, I am getting music out or the surround channels despite the fact that it is a 2 channel source. When I choose Source Number of Channels it works perfect at detecting the number of channels to play, Just not with this particular set of DSF files. The disc was set up to re-create the original Quadraphonic recording of Best of the The Doors album from 1973. Technically it should be a 4.0 channel recording, not utilizing the center channel or the sub. If I use DBPower amp file information, it reports it as being a 5.0 channel recording, not sure what the 5th channel would be. Jriver plays this particular file in 2CH even tough I have 5 lights on on the receiver, If I switch Jriver to force 5.1 playback, it will play in 5.1, but it is not a 5.1 recording. If I set to play in 4CH mode in Jriver, it continues to only play 2 channels, and the issue is that I do not hear any missing information. I think there is something substantially different on these Audio Fidelity SACD's that are recreating old 4 Channel mixes. I think I ran into this on the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets as well, I could not get Jriver to play the Quad Mix of Wish You Were Here properly either, the 5.1 Mix no problem. At this point, I am not sure where the problem lies.

When I had an early firmware version of the exaSound Playpoint I experienced the same thing with AF quad SACD rips. The right rear channel was silent and the left rear and sub had right surround/left surround info. For the Playpoint it ended up being a flag that George added (as he realized they were not "standard") and the problem was solved. The same seems to be an issue with a Reference Recording or two, ones that show as 5.0. Jriver can reorder channels, but only in DSP (i.e PCM).

Sorry, the pedant in me won't let this go: there is no "recreating" involved with the AF Quad series. They take the original quad master tapes and transfer them to DSD, possibly flat or possibly with some mastering applied. They're not going back to the multitracks and remixing in quad to "recreate" old mixes.

Well, yes they are in that they need to adhere to scarletbook, so they come 5.0 and have the center channel active (but empty). This clearly has caused some playback engines to get confused. We are just trying to get to the "why".

Just for fun, I used DbPoweramp to convert one of the DSF Files from The Best Of The Doors SACD into a Multi Channel WAV file. I then opened it up in Audacity. It is 5.0 and mapped correctly. FL, FR, Center (No Sound Info in it) RL And RR. I now believe that Jriver does not know what to do with a 5.0 File and it is a software issue. It will not play the 5.0 WAV properly either. Just vto clarify, I have my Yamaha RX-A3040 set to straight, no decoding of any kind. JRiver set to "Use Source Number Of Channels. I also tried the 5.1 Channel Setting in Jriver and it then plays in 5.1, but it is doing it in all my 2 channel material as well. Everything works properly when set to "Use source Number Of Channels" with exception of the 5.0 files, if it is a 5.1 file it detects and plays fine, 5.0 plays as a 2 channel.

UPDATE:

As I was typing this I was playing Soul Kitchen, and it sounded like all the info was there even though it was coming from FR &FL only. Then People Are Strange came on next and a lot of music information was missing due to Jriver not wanting to recognize a 5.0 File Properly and not playing the rear channels. I think I need to have a chat from somebody at Jriver support.

Just for fun, try remapping the wav channels in JRIver (DSP -> parametric -> change channel order) to move the lfe channel to last so JRiver sees your five in that order. This, of course, is not a long term solution, but DSP is easy to turn off and on for other PCM, and automatically is not used for DSD.