IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

7 hours ago, Étienne said:

Biggest bummer with forums is the info is scattered. Is there a site with info organized on this topic? List of units that work, links to the files needed to make this work. Current step by step instructions. There are 82 pages here with some over a year old. Technology marches on and things have likely changed.

I totally agree with this comment. I have long wanted the ability to rip my SACDs, so I am very pleased to have stumbled across this thread by accident, but am really struggling to find a set of coherent and up to date instructions that tell me how to do this using Windows 10 and my Oppo BDP-105EU (running at the latest firmware level). One particular difficulty is that people refer to post numbers such as #123, but no post numbers appear on my screen!

I'm using the correct IP address for my Oppo, but attempts to run sacd_extract just generate the error 'sacd_extract has stopped working'. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

52 minutes ago, kevin gilmore said:

for windows 10 you need the version of sacd_extract that is dated 7/29/2015 and is 1073KB

the older version never worked for me on windows 10

I have indeed been trying to use an older version. Where can I find a link to the 2015 version?

2 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

for windows 10 you need the version of sacd_extract that is dated 7/29/2015 and is 1073KB

the older version never worked for me on windows 10

I eventually found a post dated 2 Oct 2016 on p44 that quoted the following link, which contains that version of sacd_extract.exe.

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/releases

Unfortunately, that just gives me a different error, as shown below. Other things worked as expected, i.e. the Oppo's disc drawer opened automatically after I plugged in the USB memory stick containing the Autoscript folder (after which I loaded an SACD and closed the drawer). Perhaps I'm using the wrong version of Autoscript...

G:\sacd_extract>sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.84:2002 -P -I
Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.84:2002 for reading

8 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

If sacd_extract isn't working for you, it might be worth trying the Sonore iso2dsd GUI. The MAC OS version works great for me. I can't speak for the Windows version, but presumably it works. Just google "Sonore iso2dsd windows" and it'll come right up. 

Btw I feel (or rather *felt*) your pain!  Took me a whole afternoon to find the needle in the haystack of this thread and get it working on my Oppo -- that Telnet thing was a major red herring! -- but in the end it turns out to be super easy. The hard part comes later; trying to convince Lloyds of London why they should insure your Oppo BD-103. ? 

Many thanks for that suggestion. I've just downloaded the Sonore iso2dsd GUI software and given it a trial run. It appeared to work perfectly and created a full set of DFF files for the SACD in my Oppo. These were stored in a dedicated folder within the Sonore iso2dsd folder.

I copied these DFF files to a USB memory stick, which was then plugged into the front of my Oppo. The Oppo was able to list all these files, but when I try to play any of them it thinks about it for a second and then gives up. As far as I am aware, the Oppo BDP-105EU is supposed to handle DFF files. Where might I be going wrong?

14 minutes ago, Synfreak said:

Make sure you have ticked the "Convert DST to DSD" option - which de-compresses packed DSD data - usually used on (almost all) SACDs with Surround content.

That fixed the problem. My regenerated DFF files now play on my Oppo. 

Thanks for your help. 

46 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Curious why you chose to extract to DFF.  I find no upside to DFF; all DSD players accept DSF as well, and DSF can be tagged.  And since sacd_extract v38 the click issue is no longer type-related.  FYI.

I chose DFF simply because it was the default option in Sonore iso2dsd GUI. I am a total beginner at ripping SACDs (all my previous experience has been in ripping CDs to FLAC files) and thus know next to nothing about the different DSD file formats.

However, I do not appear to have had any issues in using JRiver Media Center to store tags in my new DFF files.

43 minutes ago, ted_b said:

JRiver will tag untaggable formats, but don't expect that metadata to travel well.  Meaning, that's just a JRIver feature; the tags are not embedded in the file.  MP3Tag and other DSD-capable players will not see those tags.

You are quite correct. Even if you configure MP3Tag to look at DFF files, it fails to recognise the tags that JRiver claims to have stored in those files. I can only speculate that JRiver has found a non-standard way to store tags in DFF files, but this is of little use with other software that is unaware of this unconventional usage. Switching to the DSF format solves that problem.

Many thanks for bringing that point to my attention.

When I reported here a day or two ago that I had finally succeeded in ripping an SACD using Sonore iso2dsd, I thought that I would now be able to start ripping my entire SACD collection. However, Murphy's Law has intervened; iso2dsd stopped working last night after I transferred the Sonore folder to a different drive on my Windows 10 PC (as part of a larger housekeeping task to avoid one of my disks from getting too full).

Every time I try to rip an SACD loaded in my Oppo BDP105EU, I now get the following error.

Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.93:2002 for reading

Deleting and reinstalling the program has made no difference. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?

1 hour ago, mutant_matt said:

That's the error you get when the app running on your PC can't connect to the server running on the SACD player.  Either the player is not running the sacd_extract app on the player (so the app isn't "listening" on the network), the IP address of the player is incorrect (as specified in your cmd file on your PC), or less likely, your PC is not on the same network (or there is a firewall in-between your PC and your SACD player (unlikely)).

Check you can ping that IP address from your PC, and then see if you can telnet to port 2002 on that IP address.  If you can do both, then the app running on your PC should be able to connect to the SACD player.

HTH!

Matt :)

A ping to my Oppo works fine, but I'm a little unsure how to use telnet. I tried the following, but I don't know if the response listed below is what I should have been expecting.

Microsoft Telnet> o 192.168.1.93 2002

Connecting To 192.168.1.93...

However, I only used Sonore iso2dsd after my other attempts to follow the more standard procedure all failed. I then remembered that when iso2dsd worked last night, I still had a USB memory stick containing an Autoscript folder plugged into the front of my Oppo. My assumption had been that this USB stick was not required for the iso2dsd solution, as it is not mentioned on the Sonore website, but reinserting it into my Oppo enabled iso2dsd to work again.

The lack of any coherent instructions for this stuff is clearly a significant problem!

This telnet stuff is over my head. The result of my attempt to open a telnet connection to my Oppo is still as listed in my last post. I don't know if I got the syntax right, but the result doesn't actually match any of the scenarios listed above.

However, this all appears to be a moot point, as I have just successfully extracted DSF files for both the stereo and multichannel layers of an SACD.

My only current problem is with a different SACD, which always hangs up at track 5 of 9, despite having previously had its CD layer successfully ripped using dBpoweramp (there is no obvious physical damage to this SACD). One limitation of the sacd_extract.exe process (compared to dBpoweramp) is the apparent lack of any ability to run multiple scans of difficult tracks.

I have not yet had any response to the question I raised three days ago, as to why many people have quoted previous posts in this forum using a numeric reference (such as #123), when such numbers are not visible in my browser.

What magic potion is required to make post numbers visible?

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, RJeff said:

Could someone clear this up for me?
I started with setting up Wi-Fi for my Pioneer BDP-80FD. As I mentioned, the speeds are underwhelming.

What should be the next step I try? Connect the player to my laptop via LAN cable? Connect the player to my router? Both? Do I need to change any settings on the player?

Thanks

Most routers will provide 4 or 5 Ethernet sockets on their back panel. If your router has such sockets then connect both the Pioneer and your laptop to the router (not to each other). You then have a conventional wired Ethernet network, which will normally be faster and more reliable than a wireless network.

So far, I have tried ripping 14 SACDs using my Oppo 105. There was no issue with 10 of them, but 4 others just stuck at a given track and went no further.

The status window in Sonore iso2dsd showed 'Processing ...', but without the steadily incrementing progress counter below. Rebooting my Windows 10 PC made no difference. Choosing 'Dual' or 'Multi' rip options also made no difference. Each attempt always stuck at the same track for any given disc. There is no obvious surface damage or dirt on any of them, which have all previously had their non-SACD stereo layer successfully ripped by dBpoweramp.

The problematic discs were as follows:

• Tippett, A Child of our Time, LSO Live
  • Stanford, The Revenge: A Ballad of the Fleet, Chandos
  • Szymanowski, Symphony No 2, etc, Chandos
  • Brittens's Orchestra, Kansas City Orchestra, Reference Recordings

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to overcome this problem?    

5 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

The first thing to do is get a good disc cleaner....

I've actually taken the slightly more extreme measure of carefully washing two of my problem SACDs with warm water and washing-up liquid, rinsing them thoroughly, sandwiching them between two layer of clean towelling to remove water droplets and then lightly wiping with a lint-free microfibre cloth. This worked with two or three discs when I was ripping my CD collection withn dBpoweramp a few years ago. Unfortunately, it didn't fix those SACDs, despite the disc surfaces looking quite pristine.

Of course, dBpoweramp has the advantage of being able to make multiple attempts to read difficult tracks. As far as I can tell, this SACD ripping technique has to get it right first time.

Are you saying that you have ripped a few hundred SACDs on your Oppo 103 without ANY failures? Do you use Sonore iso2dsd as your ripping interface?

14 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

....In Windows, it is always important to keep top level folder names short and close to the root because the folder and file names generated from metadata inside the rip are of unpredictable total path length....

I have now managed to rip all four of my problem SACDs. It was nothing to do with running Sonore iso2dsd under Windows 7 instead of Windows 10. The real issue proved to be excessive path names. I had initially overlooked Fitzcaraldo215's earlier advice on this point (repeated in above quote).

Moving all the iso2dsd files to a new Sonore folder on the root of my C: drive solved my problem.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I added Haggis999's Word doc link to the first post!  Thanks Haggis999

Thanks for that, Ted. I'm glad to have been of service.

I have uploaded a few minor updates to my document, such as crediting 'Mr Wicked', who created the sacd_extract code. If anyone has any further improvements to offer then I'm happy to incorporate them, especially if they add useful info for OSX or Linux users and thus make it a single reference source for Oppo 103/105 users.

I would also be happy for anyone to use my document as a starting point for creating a separate version aimed at users of the Pioneer BDP-160.

15 minutes ago, wanthalf said:

My experience with Oppo 105: I did not turn off anything, the player started to play the inserted SACD, so I just stopped playing manually, and then it was possible to extract the SACD.

I've modified my document to make turning off Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume a recommendation instead of an instruction. As you say, it's not difficult to cope with these settings being active, but it does make the ripping of a batch of SACDs a little slicker if they are turned off.

6 hours ago, Arg said:

I totally agree and thank you very much to haggis for doing it.

Hi Arg,
As the creation of my process summary document was prompted by your post yesterday, I would be very interested to hear if you have now succeeded in ripping your first SACD and if you have any suggestions for improving my instructions. Your experience as a new user would be the first real test of the document.