IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Finally an alternate way to finding a particular PS3 with original firmware.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I hope this doesn't turn into finding a Oppo with old firmware etc... I remain positive though. This is really cool.

At least we now have several models from different manufacturers to hunt for.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Or you can run BootCamp on your Mac. ;-)

Or VirtualBox from within macOS itself.

1. Oppo 103/105

2. Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu

3. Pioneer bdp-lx58/88 or MT8560 (like Pioneer BDP-160/170 and 180)

Is the list complete or could we find additional brands/models?

I'm a bit disappointed that the newest Ultra-HD Blu-Ray players don't read SACDs. Hopefully one of those above can be found at an affordable price.

That was my motivation for my post #10 on page 1.

I'm not sure what you mean here: you mentioned brands and models which have an unsupported chipset for the task at hand.

What we're looking for is any other brands/model which contain the two chipsets mentioned in the OP by Ted...

• 1 month later...
Some of the newer releases example Tangerine Dream SACD are mastered in Japan from the original tapes.

Are these up-conversions from Master Tapes?

Uh... No? These would be old analog master tapes transferred to DSD. Just a simple analog-to-digital conversion.

Cool, that's what I meant.

Side question as the thread is about specific players: is it feasible to downgrade the firmware on a PS3?

They are remastered from the original tapes to the Scarlett Book format, reading from the liner notes.

Nice. There are some TD albums I really like, like Exit and Logos Live, and Electronic Music or Electro-Pop/SynthPop is so under-represented in DSD downloads (and even SACD I believe).

I assume you mean downgrade from a stock FW > 3.55.

Th answer is yes, but you need to erase its internal NAND flash which means you need to perform a hardware hack. The tools are not expensive and the complexity is moderate. Some shops perform this for about 40€/50$.

There are folks that promise SW only downgrades, but they are scammers.

Thanks Roberto. Actually, we scored a very affordable PS3 (fat, 2nd gen - 2 USB ports only) but I believe the firmware is already at 4.xx, so I was considering downgrading the firmware if at all possible.