IGNORED

AudioDoctors dead simple audio tricks...

Can you remove any of that stuff from the mix as a place to start?

Some isn't turned on or plugged into other stuff when the audio is going, but yes, I've started this evening - taking a break to watch a movie with my lovely wife before continuing later.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

For a power strip, plug the power amp and preamp close as possible to the cable entry, that is the first two receptacles. This keeps the grounds a very short distance, and if possible keep the cable between the power strip and the amps the same length.

Avoid daisy chaining power strips from one to the other, it is often better to have one dual row plain jane distributor and feed the other power strips from there. Sources connected directly to a preamp should be on the same power strip as the pre-amp/power amp.

Always use a filter for antenna connections to avoid the hum loops, they're cheap and they work very well.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Just wondering if draw (e.g. for a rapid transient) from the amp or preamp might be seen as noise and limited by the surge protector.

Yes, remember your high slew rate on the amp and pre are probably going on at very high frequencies even if at 20,000 hz. Not at 60 hz. As mansr said, power supply should isolate that from being seen at the power plug. Unless you don't trust those iffy engineering practices at Spectral. :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I'm sure the inspector would love those Yalu Bulala plugs.

Good grief. The end of the plug is sealed with Dow corning silastic by looks of it, relying on the adhesion properties to provide insulation. If, well really when, the parts go bang in the plug, the silicone will certainly eject exposing live terminals.

Would be better if the whole plug was treated with a hard epoxy, but as they are now, would not use these plugs under any circumstances.

OK, here's what I'm dealing with at the moment (maybe you shouldn't look):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27882[/ATTACH]

Saw some video of some crazy guys doing art. Swallowing brightly colored milk and then spewing it on the ground over and over in different colors. Not so different looking than this here. OUch!

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

And he's worried about MOVs someday maybe causing a fire. LOL. If I lived in the neighborhood I'd be taking out extra insurance because of that nightmare. Any discoloration around any of the outlets like shown in mansr's photo above? (Yet...)

No, but it's only been a couple of decades with a similar arrangement, so there's still time. (A dozen years at the present home.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Jud,

I know you are a very patient man, so I am not worried (that you will find and correct your problem), but I have to say from experience that it will not be a garden of roses... I went through the chore a few times in the 3-4 last years. I forgot once to mute the preamp while disconnecting the usb cable between the dac and the PC... And to make things worse, I had 2 very different ground loops that were antagonist. As soon as one was settled, the other one was appearing. I had to disconnect my subs for some time, until I felt ready to do a new attempt.

Strangely, once if finally worked (and I can't explain anything, as I was doing the exact same thing), I had to disconnect the components from the power strip and... Well, one of the ground loops came back... I disconnected and reconnected the power strip, then everything worked... I wish I had a more logical approach to this. And I have 7 components...

Regards,

Alain

So, here is a new series I will write to add some of what I miss from this forum. First installment. Common Ground. Not the kind where we all find something to agree on within a larger contentious topic. The kind that helps all your electronics work better, called an Earth in other parts of the world.

You want to make your system sound better for next to nothing? Ensure every device has the same ground. I guarantee something as simple as plugging your entire system into one single outlet on the wall will have benefits to sound quality.

Quieter background? Yep.

Better definition of individual instruments? Yep.

Better background detail and sounds down in the mix? Yep.

SO here is an example of my home office system based around my iMac.

I have one outlet, the top outlet goes to a UPS Battery power Supply for my iMac and associated external drives. The bottom outlet goes to a power conditioner with the plugs for my DAC, my Marantz 2230, my Turntable, and Phono amp. It has the added benefit of protection against data loss in case of a sudden power outage meaning less chance of a loss of music files.

Audiodoctor, this is a splendid idea for a thread here.

I already tick all these boxes and can concur with your stated results...better sound all around. Power amp connected directly to the wall, all other components connected via a balanced power conditioner on the second part of that dedicated duplex wall outlet.

What is your next recommendation?

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

No, but it's only been a couple of decades with a similar arrangement, so there's still time. (A dozen years at the present home.)

What happened to REAL AUDIOPHILE VALUES? SIMPLER IS BETTER! Repeat after me:SIMPLER IS BETTER.

Real audiophiles lived and breathed this stuff. If you had to spend 10 times as much on 3 components (hair shirted at that) vs 7 components with creature comforts, well......... SIMPLER IS BETTER!

You had one source, your best source, and no other. If you needed other you might connect it when in use and disconnect it otherwise. But your buddies would laugh at your silliness not having the one primary quality source. Pre-amps with remote control????? Are you outta your mind? No audiophile would even entertain a pre-amp with tone controls. Why? SIMPLER IS BETTER!

Somewhere along the way audiophiles lost the true mantra. They began to think a remote wasn't just nice, but didn't cost them in sound quality. Then skipping a few steps, we have people with computers, iPad playback control, play lists, etc. etc. etc. We have a half dozen components to simply connect the ends of a USB cable. Good GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT HAPPENED??????

Simpler is better. SIMPLER IS ALWAYS BETTER. It lets you spend more on less. The more you spend the less there is and the better it becomes. (I am not even going to charge you guys for this secret).

So you need speakers, you need a good power amp, you need a good pre-amp and a good source. You can now collapse pre-amp and source into a DAC/Pre. Or in some cases an all in one unit that takes digital in and spits out power. You need a digital source computer.

Okay lets boil it down. Speakers, power amp, DAC/pre and digital source. That is it. Anything else and you guys are poseurs. POSEURS I SAY. Masquerading as caring about sound quality like an audiophile, but having your video inputs and sources, your FM, your broadcast or streaming sources, etc. etc. etc. POSEURS. Grow a pair, K.I.S.S and get good sound. You guys are no different than someone with a smartphone source feeding an AVR.

Maybe I should start my own forums. THE REAL COMPUTER AUDIOPHILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1's and 0's only.

Okay, RANT OFF.

DISCLAIMER: some of the views expressed above may not represent the views of Chris, myself or anyone.

@Jud If the plugs in your listening area are on the same circuit I really think there would be no harm in plugging some of the other items into them because they would share the same ground.

I hope. If I am wrong someone will correct me.

By minimising the ground cable path, the less voltage is developed across the screens of RCA cables that industry has foisted upon us. For electrical protection, the plugs can be anywhere on the system, for low level audio signals , short length grounds are one way of minimising ground loops. Much of course is how the internals are built, but we don't have control over that.

O.K. I will bite.

Why is post 85 highlighted in Green ? Humorous perhaps ?

Is Admin going to highlight posts he thinks are BS in Brown, provocative or dangerous posts in Red, and ones that makes his stomach churn in Yellow ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Sorry Jud, just couldn't resist throwing a dart at your Picasso setup! But remember, it takes forever to prove a theory correct and just once to make it come crashing down!

For $60 and a couple of hours you can just make one. Solid, 3-1/2" Deep, Six Gang Masonry Box

O.K. I will bite.

Why is post 85 highlighted in Green ? Humorous perhaps ?

Is Admin going to highlight posts he thinks are BS in Brown, provocative or dangerous posts in Red, and ones that makes his stomach churn in Yellow ?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

For $60 and a couple of hours you can just make one. Solid, 3-1/2" Deep, Six Gang Masonry Box

It must be too close to my bed time, because this one went right over top of me .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Oops, I didn't mean to quote you Alex. FWIW, I am not so sure about these new notifications.

It must be too close to my bed time, because this one went right over top of me .

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Could be a thought, though let me see what I can reduce and rationalize (make rational, not make excuses for) without buying or building anything. Already made some progress last night in an hour or two.

Balanced power sounds interesting. Anyone have DIY plans for something like that?

Sorry Jud, just couldn't resist throwing a dart at your Picasso setup! But remember, it takes forever to prove a theory correct and just once to make it come crashing down!

Taken in the spirit in which it was intended. And Picasso is quite a compliment, was thinking Jackson Pollock myself.

Random thoughts:

a] Is there a color decoder ring for Jud's system? I could see electricity getting lost in the maze and spending hours trying to find the way out.

b] Power line frequency response. The useful frequencies are 50/60 Hz to 500/600 Hz (some might say 5000/6000 Hz). Anything above those frequencies is noise or interference.

c] "Star Grounds"

Star Grounds are not a be all and end all. They often add a lot of wire length to the power system. Much better is a Star within a Star and Bus combination. With the Bus being power strips (or multiple receptacles). Start at a central point in/near the room, then Star out to the different equipment locations and use buses at those locations.

Always use a filter for antenna connections to avoid the hum loops, they're cheap and they work very well.

Sounds like a good idea - links or pics so I know exactly what you're thinking of?