IGNORED

AudioDoctors dead simple audio tricks...

+1 for Blue Circle.

Gilbert's products may not always look like audiophile jewelry, but he makes great parallel conditioners.

This is a tacky but useful demonstration of the one I use (x6 Sillycone). It's 90sec clip

[video=youtube_share;Noc2OA-xWCM]

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

So, here is a new series I will write to add some of what I miss from this forum. First installment. Common Ground. Not the kind where we all find something to agree on within a larger contentious topic. The kind that helps all your electronics work better, called an Earth in other parts of the world.

You want to make your system sound better for next to nothing? Ensure every device has the same ground. I guarantee something as simple as plugging your entire system into one single outlet on the wall will have benefits to sound quality.

Quieter background? Yep.

Better definition of individual instruments? Yep.

Better background detail and sounds down in the mix? Yep.

SO here is an example of my home office system based around my iMac.

I have one outlet, the top outlet goes to a UPS Battery power Supply for my iMac and associated external drives. The bottom outlet goes to a power conditioner with the plugs for my DAC, my Marantz 2230, my Turntable, and Phono amp. It has the added benefit of protection against data loss in case of a sudden power outage meaning less chance of a loss of music files.

I presume this "solution" will also work for equipment with 2-pole plugs, since the neutral pole is grounded (however there would be no protection from the equipment's metal casing should a hot wire electrify the case.)

mQa is dead!

Completely ignoring you're request for non-surge protection, I will recommend Brick Wall products, which I've used for years. I hear no degradation of sound with mine in place. In fact, there may even be a slight improvement compared to plugging directly into the wall outlet. (As with most things audio there are plenty of folks in both camps.) This is a link to their 8-outlet box and they also have a 10-outlet rack-mountable one.

Eight-Outlet Audio Surge Protector | Brick Wall

Hi Melvin - thank you, this looks very interesting. It doesn't utilize the metal oxide varistors that are bad for sound and eventually a fire hazard. One thing that concerns me about its suitability a little is the following juxtaposition:

Surge protector spec: Let-through slew rate: 5,000 volts/microsecond disturbance reduced to 28 volts/microsecond within AC power wave envelope, and less than 10 volts/microsecond outside the power wave envelope.

My amp spec: Slew rate 600 volts/microsecond.

The solution there would be to plug the amp directly into the wall. But now look at the preamp spec: 1200 volts/microsecond or greater.

Whoops.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Melvin - thank you, this looks very interesting. It doesn't utilize the metal oxide varistors that are bad for sound and eventually a fire hazard. One thing that concerns me about its suitability a little is the following juxtaposition:

Surge protector spec: Let-through slew rate: 5,000 volts/microsecond disturbance reduced to 28 volts/microsecond within AC power wave envelope, and less than 10 volts/microsecond outside the power wave envelope.

My amp spec: Slew rate 600 volts/microsecond.

The solution there would be to plug the amp directly into the wall. But now look at the preamp spec: 1200 volts/microsecond or greater.

Whoops.

Mains power is suppose to be a 60 Hz (in the US) sine wave. No need for extreme slew rates there.

I'd be interested in more detailed descriptions, since as I've noted in this thread, my wife and I plan to have a new home built soon and I would like to be able to discuss provisions for the audio and video systems with the electrical sub well in advance.

Some of them are common engineering practices. A search will give more links than you will know what to do with.

Some of the writers with an audio system point of view:

Keith Armstrong

Jim Brown

Ralph Morrison

Henry Ott

Bill Whitlock

and the Middle Atlantic white paper.

The best is:

1990 "Grounding and Shielding in Facilities"

Chapter 7 'Facility Considerations'

by Ralph Morrison

I got a used copy for $15

The theory parts are a little deep.

A Keith Armstrong paper, skip to about half way down:

Fundamentals of EMC Design: Our Products Are Trying To Help Us - Interference TechnologyInterference Technology

The Middle Atlantic white paper:

White Papers

Jim Brown:

Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications

Henry Ott

home page

Bill Whitlock:

indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

Some of them are common engineering practices. A search will give more links than you will know what to do with.

Some of the writers with an audio system point of view:

Keith Armstrong

Jim Brown

Ralph Morrison

Henry Ott

Bill Whitlock

and the Middle Atlantic white paper.

The best is:

1990 "Grounding and Shielding in Facilities"

Chapter 7 'Facility Considerations'

by Ralph Morrison

I got a used copy for $15

The theory parts are a little deep.

A Keith Armstrong paper, skip to about half way down:

Fundamentals of EMC Design: Our Products Are Trying To Help Us - Interference TechnologyInterference Technology

The Middle Atlantic white paper:

White Papers

Jim Brown:

Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications

Henry Ott

home page

Bill Whitlock:

indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

Thanks, much appreciated.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Mains power is suppose to be a 60 Hz (in the US) sine wave. No need for extreme slew rates there.

Just wondering if draw (e.g. for a rapid transient) from the amp or preamp might be seen as noise and limited by the surge protector.

Just wondering if draw (e.g. for a rapid transient) from the amp or preamp might be seen as noise and limited by the surge protector.

Yes, it's a silly thing to say that mains is 60Hz & there's no need for extreme slew rates - it's just using some words that demonstrate little technical understanding.

You are correct, the transient current draw & recovery of the power supply is what is critical. The thing is that the PS characteristics that are important for power amplifiers are often different from those for a low current digital audio device so expecting one PS to be able to handle these diverse requirements is a tall order.

Yes, it's a silly thing to say that mains is 60Hz & there's no need for extreme slew rates - it's just using some words that demonstrate little technical understanding.

You are correct, the transient current draw & recovery of the power supply is what is critical. The thing is that the PS characteristics that are important for power amplifiers are often different from those for a low current digital audio device so expecting one PS to be able to handle these diverse requirements is a tall order.

I don't think mansr was talking about a single power supply for the entire system, but rather the design of the power supply in the preamp, and whether it would provide adequate instantaneous current even if the power from the wall was limited by the surge suppressor.

I'm not entirely sanguine that the preamp would not be slew rate limited, since I doubt (though I don't know) that it was designed or tested with a surge suppressor in the circuit. At any rate, I sent a question to BrickWall, and they quickly and very reasonably replied that they hadn't had any complaints, but if I purchased the unit and found it limited my system's sonic performance, I could return it for a refund.

You could simply remove them.

I would prefer for insurance and safety reasons not to be doing modifications on components distributing AC mains power.

Edit: Oh, and just simply due to hassle as well. I'd much prefer to buy what I want than purchase what I don't and modify it.

I don't think mansr was talking about a single power supply for the entire system, but rather the design of the power supply in the preamp, and whether it would provide adequate instantaneous current even if the power from the wall was limited by the surge suppressor.
Maybe so - I didn't pick it up like that. Being pedantic one could say that the local decoupling SHOULD do that (i.e provide all the instantaneous transient current needed) or even deeper that the PSRR of the ICs SHOULD do that. Fact of the matter is that if the power supply distribution network is underperforming (as you hinted at with regard to slew rate limiting) then it will be heard in the sound.

I'm not entirely sanguine that the preamp would not be slew rate limited, since I doubt (though I don't know) that it was designed or tested with a surge suppressor in the circuit. At any rate, I sent a question to BrickWall, and they quickly and very reasonably replied that they hadn't had any complaints, but if I purchased the unit and found it limited my system's sonic performance, I could return it for a refund.
Sounds like a reasonable way to proceed?

Sounds like a reasonable way to proceed?

What I may do first is see whether simple steps will work, like (1) a wall adapter allowing for multiple power strips to be plugged in to one wall plate (GE 6-Outlet Grounded Adapter-Spaced Tap-50759 - The Home Depot) instead of two different wall plates as I have now ; (2) rearranging components to minimize the number of power strips (currently using 5). I was considering "cheater plugs," but see that Bill Whitlock, who was cited by Speedskater, recommends strongly against their use. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

Thanks for the suggestions, but each of these uses metal oxide varistors, which I don't want.

I can appreciate not wanting MOV at the 'point of use'. Unfortunately all most all well made, reasonably priced, UL approved outlet strips will have MOVs.

You can have an electrician place a row of wall outlet boxes each with a dual receptacle or two. In a home there is no limit to the number of receptacles on a single circuit.

Or a skilled person could build an outlet strip.

Hi Melvin - thank you, this looks very interesting. It doesn't utilize the metal oxide varistors that are bad for sound and eventually a fire hazard.

You're welcome Jud. Their design, particularly the lack of MOVs, was a big factor in my choosing the unit. Glad you reached out to them. Good company.

[...] each of these uses metal oxide varistors, which I don't want.

Blue Circle Audio makes a standalone surge protector called Yalu Bulala that plugs into one of your AC sockets. Combine that with a hospital grade power strip without on-off switch and you're good to go. It would be quite easy to test how much effect the yellow banana has on audio playback. If you hear significant difference, just unplug it whenever you're listening. Otherwise, leave it on. Same for plug in power filters like Blue Circle Sillycone filters. You always have choices when you use a modular system.

OK, here's what I'm dealing with at the moment (maybe you shouldn't look):

System Diagram - Power.jpg

Holy shit Jud.

Thus my interest in your topic. :D